• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur League Graduates: The Ivysaur Social Thread

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo can camp the **** out of our character :(

Ban large horizontal stages versus that guy. Try and strike to BF, GHZ, Yoshi's, or maybe Skyloft. I was stubborn and tried to out-camp a M2 just to see if I could, but it didn't work out.

I have some notes but I'd like to know if anyone else has things they've found versus the character.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Hahahahahaha, just wait until I get it figured out...

Still gonna be a lame matchup, I feel like. M2's uair and bair are hella disjointed. At least vine whip and uair kill you at, like, 60%-80%

TreK

Is "that guy"
Don't... ftilt?
That... is my point. Thank you I guess. Swann argued that the move was much better designed than in 2.6. I'm not arguing that it was braindead but... Well at least you could use it in 2.6.

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hahahahahaha, just wait until I get it figured out...

Still gonna be a lame matchup, I feel like. M2's uair and bair are hella disjointed. At least vine whip and uair kill you at, like, 60%-80%
tbh I actually think Ivysaur wins the MU. Ivy has the same advantage against Mewtwo that Marth does: Crazy disjointed attacks. Mewtwo loses to swords, and Ivy's vines are basically swords. Stop trying to camp us and pressure us with Fair/Bair instead, you'll find it much more effective.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Yeah. It seems like when I try to upB and it hits the ledge with the tip of the vine it just attacks the ledge.

Also I would love to have her down b have a "stick smash" mechanic like razor leafs. I really don't think that would be much of a buff.

I just know personally that when I got hit up high is that I like to fall with my seed bombs. Idk.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
It needs further testing, but I figured a way to use it that does not involve some guaranteed punishment. Do it too early so that only the last 3-4 hitboxes out of seven connect.
Better than nothing I guess.

Last edited:

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Right. Also, if you know they'll be DI-ing away from you, it'll catch them.

Very very situational.

In doubles, you can repeatedly ftilt the enemy if your teammates grabs them, have him pummel when the move ends, and you can easily rack up 70% or more in a matter of seconds.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Twitch has just entered the mansion in Cinnabar Isle, where the original Solar Beam can be found !
*sheds a tear*

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Hey guys! I've officially decided main :ivysaur:. I entered training mode with him and fell in love with the way he plays. He's as I want a character to be, which is completely based on spacing things efficiently. After playing with him for two days against CPU's I got 13th/32. While that placing doesn't satisfy me as someone who places fairly high in brawl regularly, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface as I need to start learning matchups.

Any advice for :kirby2:, :lucario:, and :lucas:? I lost to ChuDat R2 (Dumb that I had to play him that early to be honest) and Vanguard. Pink Fresh currently is #1 in my region with :lucas:. Need to know if there are specific moves I should be SDI'ing or how to play the matchups better.

:018:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Oh, nice ! Did you just transition from Brawl to PM, or just from another character to Ivy ?

Here's how you beat Pink Fresh : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTLwciBwlM
(he'll probably work on the matchup due to this set though haha)
The kid has got a bunch of hitlag on many of his moves (pretty much all of his ground move, plus fair, bair, dair and side B), so yeah, you're going to be doing some serious SDI.
I'm not going to comment further on that matchup because by next month you'll have more experience in it than me lol

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Oh, nice ! Did you just transition from Brawl to PM, or just from another character to Ivy ?

Here's how you beat Pink Fresh : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTLwciBwlM
(he'll probably work on the matchup due to this set though haha)
The kid has got a bunch of hitlag on many of his moves (pretty much all of his ground move, plus fair, bair, dair and side B), so yeah, you're going to be doing some serious SDI.
I'm not going to comment further on that matchup because by next month you'll have more experience in it than me lol
Essentially, brawl to PM.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Lucario, I think, should lose pretty hard to Ivy, on principle. I've co-mained him since release and his weak point has always been how absolutely hard it can be to get in, make an opening, and get a hit. Ivy, however, is one of the best zoners (if not THE best) in the game. Keep him in the corner.

That said, I don't have much experience fighting a good Lucario (we don't have any here). If you could get your next match recorded and post that, I would love to look over it when I get the time.

Kirby is a huge pain and I haven't figured out a really solid gameplan vs him that I would be comfortable posting as "advice," yet. Things to really focus on avoiding: dash attack (STUPID), rock shenanigans, getting grabbed, being offstage at all.

Skimchee

Smash Hobo
Hey guys! I've officially decided main :ivysaur:. I entered training mode with him and fell in love with the way he plays. He's as I want a character to be, which is completely based on spacing things efficiently. After playing with him for two days against CPU's I got 13th/32. While that placing doesn't satisfy me as someone who places fairly high in brawl regularly, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface as I need to start learning matchups.

Any advice for :kirby2:, :lucario:, and :lucas:? I lost to ChuDat R2 (Dumb that I had to play him that early to be honest) and Vanguard. Pink Fresh currently is #1 in my region with :lucas:. Need to know if there are specific moves I should be SDI'ing or how to play the matchups better.

For Kirby: Don't get copied :)

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Hello Ivy's! I've decided to pick up Ivy as a secondary, and was wondering about any Bread and butter combos for Ivy, and some technology I could get a hold of? Thanks in advance!

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Fair typically links into itself (nair does too, sometimes), dtilt->nair, utilt->uair->uair/seed bomb, uthrow/dthrow->vine whip, grounded dair (bounce)->uair...

Ivy's got pretty easy chaingrabs against the fastfallers. Not sure on the exact percentages though.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
I noticed some other character boards have Skype groups for hanging out/discussing the character.
Would you guys be interested in having one as well?

My Skype if anyone's interested: nominate10
Feel free to add me.

Last edited:

Swann

Smash Journeyman
I was literally thinking about setting up an Ivy Skype group all day at work! Good stuff. I'm Swann (Raleigh, NC) on Skype.

Last edited:

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Got third today. Lost to a Fox (who got 1st) and a Squirtle (who got 2nd). The Fox match-up is fine, I just was outplayed. The Squirtle match-up I did terribly in and need to learn, because I didn't have a clue. There should be videos too I'll post them when they upload them.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'd be happy to help. From my experience, it's a weird matchup to get used to, but I'm confident that Ivysaur wins it. Just gotta use specific stuff to deal with Squirtle's individual options.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Everything loses to pivot grab. :3

Also, Dash Attack is pretty handy in this matchup, in my experience.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Lab time tuesday !
-For some reason, the PMBR decided that Snake was stronger than Ivysaur so his tranquilizer can put to sleep opponent while they're doing something, while our stun seed only stuns people that are either running, crouching, walking or standing. (Our stun seed behaves like jiggs' sing, it's actually Snake's saltylizer which is the exception)
-As you probably know, each dair gives you a slightly lesser boost than the previous one. The only way to refresh this is to land, not touch the ledge. First dair stops your vertical momentum and gives a slight upwards boost. Second dair stops your momentum and seems to hold you in place for a bit. Third dair and all subsequent dairs just stop your vertical momentum. If you hold down during a dair, it doesn't count, you can still get the fully powered dair afterwards.
-After a grounded footstool (which you can do while the opponent is shielding in example), hold down dair hits with the sourspot, and uair hits with the meteor hitbox. Uair allows you to combo better after about 70%, but will not work under platforms on taller characters such as Snake in example.
-There is a small amount of time you are forced to stay on the ledge (about the amount of time it takes for the "bubble" thingy to disappear), but not on tether recoveries. However, the amount of invincibility we get from a ledge catch seems to be shorter to compensate, I can't seem to make my ledge wavedash safer or riskier by grabbing the ledge or by tethering it.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Lab time tuesday !
-For some reason, the PMBR decided that Snake was stronger than Ivysaur so his tranquilizer can put to sleep opponent while they're doing something, while our stun seed only stuns people that are either running, crouching, walking or standing. (Our stun seed behaves like jiggs' sing, it's actually Snake's saltylizer which is the exception)
Snakes tranqs don't put aerial enemies to sleep. They just stop their momentum I think.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Thank god they don't, whoever your god is.
Imagine how hard it would be to recover while sleeping.

Top Bottom