• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's Time To Get FUNKY! Funky Kong for Smash thread

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I felt that it‘s only his running animation that’s similar to DK. Funky in general is more standing more upright and moves much more expressively

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well do needs more characters so I'm in

But reminder though did sakurai know about this tropical freeze switch version with funky king when he finalized the roster for smash switch back in either 2016 or 2017.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

But reminder though did sakurai know about this tropical freeze switch version with funky king when he finalized the roster for smash switch back in either 2016 or 2017.
Of course he did, because he added him in! :ace:

Add me to the support!

D

Deleted member

Sadly, this is the biggest reason why I feel Funky is only going to be DLC at best.
If the roster was made now, Funky would be an obvious pick with how heavy Nintendo has pushed him.
But back in 2016, when the roster was likely finalized? Funky would be a bit of an odd choice for him to pick.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
And of course the thread would blow up while I'm on vacation (though I should've expected it). Thanks for all the support!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii). But, add me to the supporters, please.

D

Deleted member

Interesting fact I just learned.
According to the "Germans Love David Hasselhoff" trope on TvTropes:

"Within the Donkey Kong franchise itself, the character of Funky Kong is a huge Ensemble Darkhorse in Japan."
While pointing out how he got in Mario Kart Wii over more famous figures like Dixie or Cranky and how he got his own mode in the Tropical Freeze port.

And again under the YMMV page for the DKC franchise, not only is Funky listed under the Ensemble Darkhorse section of the page, but it reaffirms the Germans Love David Hasselhoff section with:

"The Japanese love Funky Kong."

Though his popularity doesn't extend to just Japan it seems, as an issue of Nintendo Power had a poll for the most wanted Kong to return after DKCR was released, and it was Funky who won the poll.

So this means Funky isn't such a random choice after all, even if his Smash support base isn't as big as K. Rool's for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Figured I would make a Funky clone moveset

Game Play Plan:
Kong Clone
Funky is such a cool dude, he borrows the moves from his friends to use in battle. Hes a clone but hes an individual man.

Stats
Weight: Same as DKS
Walk Speed: Same as DKs
Run Speed: Slower than DK, he is more laid back
Air Speed: Slightly more than DKS
Jump Height: Same as Dks
Fall Speed: Same as DKs
Size: Same as DKs
Crawl: No
Jumps: 2
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No
Standard Attacks
OK i am gonna half ass this and say they are 90% similar to DKs. Here are the different ones
F Tilt: King Dedede's F Tilt
D Tilt: Pokes people with his surfboard, its just Ike's Down tilt
F Smash: It is just Dedede's F Tilt
Nair: Does a Meta Knight like spin with his surfboard, 6%
Fair: Funky Hits over the head with his surfboard, works the same as DKS tho
Grabs and Throws
Same as DK's but with less power, except
F Throw: Funkey kicks the opponent forward and fires a coconut at them.
Special Moves
Neutral B - Coconut Popgun

DK is not the only Kong that Funky borrows from. This move, while from DK in DK64, behaves like Diddys. Except it cannot be charged and its arc is much closer to the ground. 6%
Side B - Headbash
Funly may take this move from DK, but hes a metal dude. Instead of hitting his bros into the ground, he just headbashes three times, sending them upwards.
Up B - Surfboard Hover
This move takes a similar animation to DK's UP B, but works more like Dixies Up B, Funky has a brief twirl upwards and can hold the twirl to get back to the stage. Deals no damage.
Down B - Pogo
A pogo for Funky, hits down with his surfboard, works like a mix of Bowser's Down B and Links Down Air. If it hits anyone on the way down he bounces up, 16%.
Final Smash - Rambi
Rambi is in my Dixie moveset, so do not act like he got something new. Rides around on Rambi, think the Wario bike on Wario Man, but you cant go off the edge as easy. 15% per hit.
Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Funky does a backflip
Taunt 2 - Funky flies on his skateboard in place
Taunt 3 - Squaks appears and flies around Funky

On Screen Appearance - Jumps out of a DK barrel

Victory 1 - Squaks flies around giving as Funky lays down
Victory 2 - Pogos on his surfboard a bit and then gives a thumbs up
Victory 3 - Flies around on his skateboard and gives a big thumbs up

Idle poses: Funky taps his foot to the music, might break out a bit of a dance

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

Game Play Plan:
Kong Clone

Funky is such a cool dude, he borrows the moves from his friends to use in battle. Hes a clone but hes an individual man.

Stats
Standard Attacks
OK i am gonna half *** this and say they are 90% similar to DKs. Here are the different ones
Grabs and Throws
Special Moves

DK is not the only Kong that Funky borrows from. This move, while from DK in DK64, behaves like Diddys. Except it cannot be charged and its arc is much closer to the ground. 6%
Side B - Headbash
Funly may take this move from DK, but hes a metal dude. Instead of hitting his bros into the ground, he just headbashes three times, sending them upwards.
Up B - Surfboard Hover
This move takes a similar animation to DK's UP B, but works more like Dixies Up B, Funky has a brief twirl upwards and can hold the twirl to get back to the stage. Deals no damage.
Down B - Pogo
A pogo for Funky, hits down with his surfboard, works like a mix of Bowser's Down B and Links Down Air. If it hits anyone on the way down he bounces up, 16%.
Final Smash - Rambi
Rambi is in my Dixie moveset, so do not act like he got something new. Rides around on Rambi, think the Wario bike on Wario Man, but you cant go off the edge as easy. 15% per hit.
Misc. Stuff

very nice! I was trying to think of ways to make a clone/semi-clone moveset, but this is right on the money!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Funky's day in the RTC, come show your support.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer if he wasn't, but honestly I'd be happy either way.
Meh, I don't think it's all that bad. Sakurai confirmed that Animations do in fact change with Echos, as seen with Daisy, so that was the only real thing keeping him from being an echo. He could retain most of DK's stats for moves, except for his recovery, which would obviously be the surfboard.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Sign me up for the supporters list! Funky would be a radical addition to the roster. Seeing him playable in Tropical Freeze makes me excited for what he can do. The more DK representaion we get, the better

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Game Play Plan:
Kong Clone

Stats
Standard Attacks
OK i am gonna half *** this and say they are 90% similar to DKs. Here are the different ones
Grabs and Throws
Special Moves

Side B - Headbash
Up B - Surfboard Hover
Down B - Pogo
Final Smash - Rambi
Misc. Stuff

Cool idea, but I don't think that's how Funky would be in Smash.

Am betting he would be a total Echo.

And in that case, I think I can offer just a few differences that allow him to be unique still.

Funky's unique atributes compared to DK would be his Up B. Up B being Surfing Kong instead of Spinning Kong, and well, you know how it would look. Surfing Kong goes in a far more vertical swirl than DK's Up B. The tradeoff for this however is slightly weaker attacks all around. Also his Giant Punch wouldn't be as strong, but it could be very damaging as a trade.

Not sure what else is allowed to be different, but this is my take.

Last edited:

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
I would LOVE to see Funky Kong in Smash. I think he would make perfect sense as an Echo Fighter for Donkey Kong since they're pretty much identical. Could you imagine having a Funky Kong amiibo? 2018 would be the Year of Funky Kong

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Echo/clone of Donkey Kong, let's see it! I'll be a supporter.

Just change his animations and B attacks by adding his surfboard, the rest could be the same. A lot of what he does in DKCTF is pretty similar to DK, like they both still use rolls and their strength to burst through enemies and the stage, so I could see DK's moveset transferring over pretty well. I just think his B attacks could use a little Funky refreshment. Twirling the board for his Up Special, gives him more air time, and a slowed descent. Change the Down Special animation to his DKCTF one, and I suppose his standard Special and side Special could be the same as DK's just fine.

Oh, and his Final Smash could be identical to DK's too... except for one thing, instead of a flurry of punches, he should have his flurry of poses just like in Tropical Freeze. And I'd especially want to see this pose.
DdReHUlW4AUllmp.jpg

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Dixie takes priority for me as the next mandatory DK rep, but to poo-poo my dude Funky would be, for lack of a better word........

...Stoopid.

I show my support for the Echo (ha!) in the Waves!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I support Funky Kong as Donkey Kong's echo fighter! King K. Rool was my most wanted, and I'm over the moon he was added. I know people want Dixie Kong to be an echo as well, but after seeing Isabelle, I feel like she would be a semi-clone instead. Funky Kong would work perfectly as a Donkey Kong echo fighter though. He has the same build as Donkey Kong, and a lot of Donkey Kong's moves would make sense on Funky Kong. Plus, Funky Kong was my favorite character in Mario Kart Wii, I love how excitable he is. With those sunglasses and his relaxed outlook on life, how could anyone not like Funky Kong? He is one of my most wanted echo fighters for sure, along with Ken and Shadow.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Funky Kong intrigues me.

By all rights he should have fallen by the wayside like so many other 90s "radical" characters did, and yet he still endures as a relatively popular Donkey Kong character. I wonder what it is about him and Sonic that's let them endure to the modern day despite everything about their designs trying to be "cool" and "hip".
Actually, the first two Donkey Kong Country games had some pandering to the 90s audience as well (Diddy and Dixie boomboxing and playing electric guitar, the intro scene where Donkey Kong essentially tells the audience Donkey Kong Arcade? That's for old grumps, THIS is the game cool kids play nowadays!" and yet the games are still considered timeless. Maybe it's because the pandering was minimal.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Being a DK fan can be difficult sometimes, especially in regards to Smash. However, we finally got K Rool and it's given me a DK series high that I need enabled with another Kong to round out the cast. Although I think we need Dixie no matter what, the idea of Funky in Smash also fills my heart with a fiery hot passion that I simply cannot ignore.

And perhaps it is most appropriate that the timing for Funky has literally never been better.

Clones are now being embraced. Characters who fight similarly to others are being considered strongly to join the battle, and we the fans are eating it up. Daisy, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus have shown us the wide range that this peculiar group can cover: we've got a Mario spin-off character, a third party newcomer, yet another FE blue-haired swordsman, and a freaking Metroid character. It's truly unpredictable and we can't tell for sure just who has the best chance of getting in as a coveted Echo Fighter.

So, Funky. He's a classic Nintendo NPC character who's been around for just as long as Diddy and K Rool. Everyone who knows Funky loves him. He's a staple who isn't going anywhere, and he's reliable. Normally I would say there's no chance in hell for Funky, and in any other situation, I'd be right. No way in hell was he getting in before K Rool...but now, K Rool is in. What's stopping him? Sakurai has said that Echoes are made to fulfill fan requests for characters that would fight too similarly to others. Thinking hard about the matter, I can't really think of a lot of other hugely-requested characters that would make good Echoes. We're getting Ken and Shadow, sure. But there are simply fewer characters than you would think who could fit so perfectly into the skin of another. For DK however, it's more than obvious who could adopt his fighting style.

As for relevance, yeah, Funky's never been more relevant. He made his first main series playable appearance in TF for Switch as we all know, and this spawned the whole "New Funky Mode!" meme that's still being used to this day. This isn't even the first time Funky's been part of a meme! Like it or not, people on the internet love to meme this guy. And we all know the power that memes hold.

So what are the chances that Sakurai saw the news of TF for Switch and quickly decided to churn out a brand new Echo for Donkey Kong to complement the main course, King K Rool? Not that low, I think. The roster was mostly finalized in 2015, but it's not that cut and dry as we've seen with Sonic, Dark Pit, and Lucina. There's also the chance for DLC depending on how robust that turns out to be (hoping for MASSIVE AMOUNTS).

Would this make you guys happy like it would for me? Do you dislike the idea of Funky getting his hands dirty in battle? I think he's a classic Nintendo mainstay who's put in his due diligence and deserves it more than almost anyone when you think about it. Who else has been around this long, has stuck around, and still isn't playable?

I love Funky, he's my main monkey, and I think this might be his one and only time to truly shine on the battlefield. He conquered Mario Kart--now it's Smash's turn to get funky.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I can't really get on this idea, but it's certainly spread in popularity.

I think once we get Dixie, anything can happen with the DK series. I would personally love to see Cranky before Funky, but Funky is at least an easy echo. Beat of luck to ya'll.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This game is missing the all new Funky Mode, I’ll support Funky being in, the more Kongs, the merrier. :)

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Being a DK fan can be difficult sometimes, especially in regards to Smash. However, we finally got K Rool and it's given me a DK series high that I need enabled with another Kong to round out the cast. Although I think we need Dixie no matter what, the idea of Funky in Smash also fills my heart with a fiery hot passion that I simply cannot ignore.

And perhaps it is most appropriate that the timing for Funky has literally never been better.

Clones are now being embraced. Characters who fight similarly to others are being considered strongly to join the battle, and we the fans are eating it up. Daisy, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus have shown us the wide range that this peculiar group can cover: we've got a Mario spin-off character, a third party newcomer, yet another FE blue-haired swordsman, and a freaking Metroid character. It's truly unpredictable and we can't tell for sure just who has the best chance of getting in as a coveted Echo Fighter.

So, Funky. He's a classic Nintendo NPC character who's been around for just as long as Diddy and K Rool. Everyone who knows Funky loves him. He's a staple who isn't going anywhere, and he's reliable. Normally I would say there's no chance in hell for Funky, and in any other situation, I'd be right. No way in hell was he getting in before K Rool...but now, K Rool is in. What's stopping him? Sakurai has said that Echoes are made to fulfill fan requests for characters that would fight too similarly to others. Thinking hard about the matter, I can't really think of a lot of other hugely-requested characters that would make good Echoes. We're getting Ken and Shadow, sure. But there are simply fewer characters than you would think who could fit so perfectly into the skin of another. For DK however, it's more than obvious who could adopt his fighting style.

As for relevance, yeah, Funky's never been more relevant. He made his first main series playable appearance in TF for Switch as we all know, and this spawned the whole "New Funky Mode!" meme that's still being used to this day. This isn't even the first time Funky's been part of a meme! Like it or not, people on the internet love to meme this guy. And we all know the power that memes hold.

So what are the chances that Sakurai saw the news of TF for Switch and quickly decided to churn out a brand new Echo for Donkey Kong to complement the main course, King K Rool? Not that low, I think. The roster was mostly finalized in 2015, but it's not that cut and dry as we've seen with Sonic, Dark Pit, and Lucina. There's also the chance for DLC depending on how robust that turns out to be (hoping for MASSIVE AMOUNTS).

Would this make you guys happy like it would for me? Do you dislike the idea of Funky getting his hands dirty in battle? I think he's a classic Nintendo mainstay who's put in his due diligence and deserves it more than almost anyone when you think about it. Who else has been around this long, has stuck around, and still isn't playable?

I love Funky, he's my main monkey, and I think this might be his one and only time to truly shine on the battlefield. He conquered Mario Kart--now it's Smash's turn to get funky.
Although Dark Samus had her push I think Metriod getting Ridley helped get Metroid back in Hal Labs minds. Maybe DK can Get An Echo because they got a new Rep with King K Rool.

Smash is consistent with giving series Two newcomers. I don’t think we are done with the new DK and FE reps,

D

Deleted member

Yo, where my main monkeys at?

We have a chance to have a non-Echo Funky now as DLC. :p

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Heck yeah! As much as I want Dixie and feel that she should come first, it just seems more likely for Funky to get the newcomer treatment by Nintendo. I don't know, I could just see it happening!

Top Bottom