• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta It's Time To Abandon 3 Starter Lists

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
How do we have people complaining about keeping track of Smashville and TnC's Platforms when we have Melee players taking advantage of Randall all the damn time? That's absolutely ridiculous. We have the information thanks to @ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone . We can integrate it into our play. It's not at all basis for an argument regarding stages as tame as TnC & SV.

Not justified? It's rather convenient you shift the data available under the rug, particularly when the limited data we have points to Smashville being the most neutral.

This is relevant, because it helps to justify whether or not using 3 Stage Strike is worth it or not, particularly over 5.

And you can't just throw out all the data, then turn around and say that 'welp it's a counterpick for the best character in the game and maybe one other so that's more important than how it impacts the rest of the cast and their matchups.' This is especially silly when you consider it's not their best stage and it's usually played on because the alternatives are banned.

We're lacking data on all available matchups, yes. But at least my theory has a logical and credible understanding. You do not ignore findings just because you don't have all the available answers, you make do with what you have. That's how science in the real world works, that's how this should work also. Fact is, the stage played the most within any format with any list is Smashville, and I'm willing to put money on the fact that if you got all the best players in to one room and asked them individually what the fairest/most neutral/most balanced stage was, they'd say Smashville.
The data isn't justified because 3 starter stage striking is wrong. It's like saying you got everything right for this section of the test correct but you ignored everything else.

Science and data is theorised in a vacuum then put into practice. And tested. Then we remove all variables. Then test it. Until we come up with a conclusive decision.

We have people deciding on Smashville because of some asinine belief that its 100% neutral when it gives some characters clear advantages. Introducing more options into our vacuum mitigates that. And removing the gentleman's clause (which is stupid and negates all stage theory in a tournament setting). Further makes our theory reach practicality.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm honestly confused why anyone thought a 3-starter list was a good idea, ever. Absurd advantage to the 2nd striker and the 1st striker doesn't even get any information on which to base his strikes.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wait, are you seriously suggesting that something that moves all the time, always the same and is easily seeable most of the time has the same "predictability" as something that always changes after some time + has gaps?

That obviously can't be the case.

Any change throws off way easier than if there wasn't one. The gaps can throw off any timefeeling even more.

I'm not sure how people think humans work. You guys are always saying how easy everything is...
As for me, if I don't look at the timer or count in my head (which isn't always the correct timing) I will be off with for example the Klap trap rhythm in Jungle Japes ~+-2 seconds probably. Thinking about somthing (counting) or looking at the timer takes away time and concentration that you lose for a moment against your opponent. In SVs case, you always see the platform early enough which is the main point, and you can almost always guess where it could be positioned at the moment. It's nothing too surprising and again, easily seeable. And you never have to think about that anything could suddenly change or waste concentration on looking at the time / counting it.
Yes, indeed, I am suggesting that something that follows an ABCD ABCD pattern is exactly as predictable as something that follows an ABCD ABCD pattern. Or an AAAA AAAA pattern, for that matter. Balloon aside (please anyone with evidence confirm whether or not that thing spawns on a consistent timer in either stage), everything in both Animal Crossing stages is as predictable as Randall in Melee, or the tilt of Lylat (100% consistent based on the background, in case you weren't aware), or even Final Destination and Battlefield. Being dynamic is literally entirely unrelated to a stage's tendency to follow a repeating pattern.

ABCD ABCD patterns are simple because they have few distinct states. Perhaps you or others may struggle slightly more with a stage that makes more significant layout changes, but you cannot, objectively, say that one's pattern is less predictable than the other, unless there is an element of randomness. And (unless someone can prove otherwise so I can get my facts straight) the balloon is the only random element in either stage.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Regarding stage strikes on a 3 starter being "absurdly advantaged" to the second striker: If your character is good on none of the 3 stages, the strike order doesn't matter because the stage sucks for you. If you're good on one stage, they can ban it 100% of the time anyway. If you're good on two stages, you can get one of those two stages 100% of the time. If you're good on 3 stages ?????

Raijinken

Smash Master
Regarding stage strikes on a 3 starter being "absurdly advantaged" to the second striker: If your character is good on none of the 3 stages, the strike order doesn't matter because the stage sucks for you. If you're good on one stage, they can ban it 100% of the time anyway. If you're good on two stages, you can get one of those two stages 100% of the time. If you're good on 3 stages ?????
Then you (and/or your character) win.

But that logic applies equally well to any other odd number of stages to strike, yet increasing the count decreases the character as a variable and gets us closer and closer to player skill and execution being the only variables.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Hey, gentlemanning only works if both players agree to it. If one disagrees, it's a no go, so there's no reason to remove that altogether. People who use it over stagestriking put themselves on the backfoot or are just trolling in tournament (the former is the player's problem, the latter is fun :D )

People seem to underrate how important the first match is. In a bo3, if you win game 1, it means that the possible tiebreaker stage will always be your pick and advantage. In my opinion, a way to ensure a stage is chosen that makes that game as close to even as possible is desirable. FLSS seems to do that, as both players will continue to remove their worst stages (provided they know the mu for the characters) until the least polarizing stage remains (for this theoretical mu, which means this stage differs from mu to mu).

And maybe dial down the salt of discussing things with someone that has a different opinion then you? This thread feels like it's about to devolve into flaming any minute now 9.9

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
If you're bad on 3/3 stages you're at a distinct disadvantage when striking even if your opponent is only average on 2/3 of those stages and poor on 1/3.

But if you're bad on 3/5 and average on 2/5 stages the stage pick becomes significantly less powerful when determining the outcome of the match. 3/9 makes the stage pick even less significant and you'll have a better chance of finding neutral.

There is no single character in each of it's 51 +1 (Mirror Matches) that is sub par or at a disadvantage against the 9 stages we consider legal. Marth loves Battlefield. Pikachu loves Lylat's many even plane platforms. Sonic loves FD's room to run. Maybe Zelda loves TnC's Low Ceiling. ZSS loves Battlefield's Platform Configuration. Pacman loves Duck Hunt's Walled sides . Shiek loves Smashville's Moving Platforms. RosaLuma loves Halberd's Low Ceiling. DK loves Delfino so he can Auto Cancel and Spike. Every character has its good stages and bad stages, adding more stages to the initial pick creates a more neutral game one.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
????

I'm reading this thread and somehow it keeps turning into discussing how (stage) isn't fair enough because (situation), or arguing about how SV is The Fairest Stage, or something.

I thought the point of this thread was discussing how adding more stages would benefit characters other than those who happen to always be good on two or all of BF / FD / SV. More situations to choose from means more accessibility for different characters. If you hate (stage) so much, then ban it ?

if you got all the best players in to one room and asked them individually what the fairest/most neutral/most balanced stage was, they'd say Smashville.
I really like this quote, because I feel it best summarizes what the thread consistently devolves to. Yes, SV is generally fair; but why does this matter? We're discussing increasing the starter list, not arguing about which singular stage the starter list should consist of.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
If you're bad on 3/3 stages you're at a distinct disadvantage when striking even if your opponent is only average on 2/3 of those stages and poor on 1/3.

But if you're bad on 3/5 and average on 2/5 stages the stage pick becomes significantly less powerful when determining the outcome of the match. 3/9 makes the stage pick even less significant and you'll have a better chance of finding neutral.

There is no single character in each of it's 51 +1 (Mirror Matches) that is sub par or at a disadvantage against the 9 stages we consider legal. Marth loves Battlefield. Pikachu loves Lylat's many even plane platforms. Sonic loves FD's room to run. Maybe Zelda loves TnC's Low Ceiling. ZSS loves Battlefield's Platform Configuration. Pacman loves Duck Hunt's Walled sides . Shiek loves Smashville's Moving Platforms. RosaLuma loves Halberd's Low Ceiling. DK loves Delfino so he can Auto Cancel and Spike. Every character has its good stages and bad stages, adding more stages to the initial pick creates a more neutral game one.
I have a tournament tomorrow, so I don't really have time to respond to this, but your first point makes literally no sense. If your character sucks on BF/SV/FD, they're GOING to suck on LC/T&C also. :secretkpop:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I have a tournament tomorrow, so I don't really have time to respond to this, but your first point makes literally no sense. If your character sucks on BF/SV/FD, they're GOING to suck on LC/T&C also. :secretkpop:
Low ceiling on TnC? That Five percent makes a difference.

Bad at covering aerial space above you? Lylat's many low platforms help with that.

Each stage gives different advantages and disadvantages and covers different options for, if they didn't we would just play on one stage and call it balanced.
We obviously don't do that and BF SV and FD do not embody neutrality for all characters or all match ups.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Let's take a look to Ike. Ike sucks on SV and FD but loves BF. If the opponent knows this, Ike can't have BF one the first game.
Ike is okay an TaC and likes Lylat, but not like BF. If there are 5 starter, Ike can hope a fair first game. And this is good.
Ike is not the only one who loves BF and dislike the 2 others. Robin, ROB etc... are in the same boat. They're heavily penalized with the 3 starter list.

NNID
Budget_Player
Lylat ledges are even jankier than prepatch, the edges are normal when the ship isn't tilting, but as soon as they tilt, they become worse than prepatch when recovering.
Really? Because I've played god knows how many matches on Lylat and never had or seen this problem. Maybe you're just bad. Then again, I rarely had any issues with those ledges pre-patch, so...

T&C isn't a neutral either because of it's absurdly low ceiling and the fact that the platforms can kill you if you land on them and fail to tech, or if you get grabbed on them, or... things!
...You do realize that "absurdly low" = "rest kills 3% earlier from the ground than on smashville", right? That's not absurdly low. That's insanely close to every other stage. And if you're dying due to the platform retreating, my recommendation is to reckognize when it goes away (it's when the clock says "30" or "00" as the last two digits ;) ) and not get stuck on there during those times. Somehow this works for me, and most other people, yet ostensibly good players like Reflex or L_P whine about this. I have no idea where the disconnect is here.

They're just garbage stages.
Unlike Smashville, where nothing gimmicky or stupid ever happens due to the stage's geometry.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
lol. Aiight, you must be fun at parties; being the only person in the world who wants to play on Lylat Cruise.

Sorry, but I have better things to do than be called bad by someone who somehow has been around for 8 years with 8500+ posts yet has managed being unheard of until today.

I might come back in future if arguments stop devolving into "ur bad" and "here's a video of a Wario who can't DI a 6 hit fair string".

Peace, friends!

NNID
Budget_Player
lol. Aiight, you must be fun at parties; being the only person in the world who wants to play on Lylat Cruise.

Sorry, but I have better things to do than be called bad by someone who somehow has been around for 8 years with 8500+ posts yet has managed being unheard of until today.
Well, you have almost 14k posts and I have no clue who you're supposed to be, so...

@Shaya do you know this clown?

Oh, and for the record? This currently ongoing tournament me and some others gentleman'd to Kalos and Orbital Gate Assault. You might want to stop projecting so much. You hate Lylat. Guess what: you're not everyone.

Raijinken

Smash Master

I might come back in future if arguments stop devolving into "ur bad" and "here's a video of a Wario who can't DI a 6 hit fair string".

Peace, friends!
I don't think this is the place for moderators to stoop to petty name-calling, either. Then again, maybe I'm just ignorant of how you, aside from a little red and black banner under your name, are any less obscure or more skilled than BPC. But reputation means pretty little to me when the argument is good or bad.

????

I'm reading this thread and somehow it keeps turning into discussing how (stage) isn't fair enough because (situation), or arguing about how SV is The Fairest Stage, or something.

I thought the point of this thread was discussing how adding more stages would benefit characters other than those who happen to always be good on two or all of BF / FD / SV. More situations to choose from means more accessibility for different characters. If you hate (stage) so much, then ban it ?

I really like this quote, because I feel it best summarizes what the thread consistently devolves to. Yes, SV is generally fair; but why does this matter? We're discussing increasing the starter list, not arguing about which singular stage the starter list should consist of.
It seems to matter to some people because, if you assume that the 3-stage list includes Smashville, and assume that it's the "most fair" stage, then to a sizable playerbase (which does not include myself), there is literally no reason to increase the count past three (or even 1, as it seems many would argue). The arguments are closely related, and thus it's unlikely that the debate will stay on a single subject until the other is cleared. Which doesn't seem likely, as either side sees an issue invisible to the other.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
When I play as Bowser, I want more than anything to go to Lylat. Exaggerations are not good arguments.

Not really sure if you're serious...
You literally made that exact same argument earlier...

Ulevo

Smash Master
What data? The data from 3 starter lists is useless; we have one stage with loads of platforms, one stage with no platforms, and one sort of in the middle, and the one in the middle gets picked a lot. No surprise there; this is one of the main critiques of 3 starter, that Smashville is almost a foregone conclusion. What's more, the sheer amount of "Smashville?" "Okay" should probably be seen as a little bit of a problem. Do we have extensive data from 5 starters or more? Do we see a similar pro-smashville bias within the region (this can't come from the data, mind, it has to be read from the attitudes of the players there)?
What data?

Go to any YouTube channel. VGC, Team Spooky, Tourney Locator, Clash, EGOfficial, pick one. Watch them. Tell me how many sets played on Smashville. Tell me how many game one's played on Smashville.

Heck. Ignore your biased opinion for a moment, go to a tournament literally anywhere, and see which stages are played game one.

I'll give you a hint. It starts with an "S" and ends in "mashville."

And how is data from a 3 starter list useless? Because it's clearly not. It still provides data. It won't show that Smashville is being chosen more over say, Lylat Cruise, excluding counterpicks. But it will tell you what the pick ratio is between Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville. That's important information.

Why do you think it's a foregone conclusion, hm?

You're calling this Smashville-bias as if to say that the players do not have a legitimate reason for the stage choice. Which is ridiculous, since everyone plays on it. This isn't like how players are ignorant about Wuhu Island because they've hardly every played it and can't form their own conclusions. Smashville has been the most played on stage since Brawl's release.

And when someone points out severe methodological flaws in science, they aren't simply ignored. Using strike data at all is problematic because so much of the world has swallowed, hook line and sinker, this baseless idea that Smashville is the most neutral stage, and who would strike the most neutral stage? Using design philosophy when we have neither access to the original philosophy nor any indication that it actually works as intended is also very flawed.
First of all, a scientific method is not flawed because it lacks sufficient data. A scientific method is flawed if the due process was not conducted correctly. Which I mean, you could argue---if you were an idiot---in this case, since we don't have data sheets in front of us explaining how many times x stage was played at each tournament. But this type of of thing is so common knowledge (it even has its own running jokes) that this is practically a moot point.

Secondly, the source data being biased does not matter. It matters if the scientists themselves adhere to bias, and this affects the due process. If we wanted to conduct a study on coffee and its ill or beneficial effects on human health long term, you don't throw out all the available data collected just because coffee drinkers are often people who smoke, and thus present an external factor that can effect the results. You control for these variables and see what results you get when these are excluded.

Even with all that said, like I mentioned before, you're just assuming there is this Smashville bias that's inherently there without giving the competitive community the credit it deserves. Your perspective on Smashville as a stage puts you in the minority here.

And you don't need to 'have access' to the development teams original design philosophy to draw conclusions about the stages and their design. It's pretty clear what you have. You have stages with flat spaces, with platforms, and a hybrid of them. Someone mentioned the 'alpha and omega' are at the opposite end of the spectrum regarding stage design therefore they can't be balanced, which is ridiculous because there are other factors as to what goes in to make a stage more or less neutral. This is pretty obvious when you consider that Pokemon Stadium 2's static base is extremely balanced, yet with the rest of its inclusion is hardly compares to the primary three.

Have you seen Zer0's video on the legal stages? It's awful. This player, while clearly really, really good at the game, has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to, say, how T&C works and how you can play there. Or hell, just look at, I dunno, Luigi Player. He's legitimately one of the better players in Europe. Being a top player is no guarantee that you have any idea what you're talking about when it comes to ruleset design; I thought we would have figured this out by now, given the cluster**** that Brawl was.
You're right. Which is why I mentioned them collectively. I know how awful Zer0's video was. That being said, there is a vast collective knowledge amongst top players, particularly when pooled together. And while it is unfortunate they don't know simple facts, like how Smashville is not a stage with one of the lowest blastzones, the consensus on Smashville as a stage is pretty basic to the point where the idea we are even arguing about it is sort of asinine.

Oh, and for the record? According to the Shiek boards, Smashville is her best stage, matched only by Battlefield. It's not just some potential "maybe if everything else is banned" pick. For Pikachu, it's probably top 3, after Wuhu and Lylat, maybe top 4 if Kongo is legal.
I'm not a Sheik player, but I do disagree with this notion. I don't know if you're taking this from the context of one or two players, or if the Sheik boards have an overwhelming consensus. I don't care to really check. Even if this were true, and assuming I was wrong, Reflex said basically anything I would have rather concisely.

It seems to matter to some people because, if you assume that the 3-stage list includes Smashville, and assume that it's the "most fair" stage, then to a sizable playerbase (which does not include myself), there is literally no reason to increase the count past three (or even 1, as it seems many would argue). The arguments are closely related, and thus it's unlikely that the debate will stay on a single subject until the other is cleared. Which doesn't seem likely, as either side sees an issue invisible to the other.
The short of it is that between Smashville's neutrality and overwhelmingly high game one pick rate, and the fact that Battlefield and Final Destination, while not neutral in all match ups, are very acceptable in many depending on match up, it does not make sense to include Town & City and (especially) Lylat Cruise because if your goal is to include more than the primary three to offer more opportunity to narrow it down to an acceptable stage between players then FSS is just simply the better option.

Let's take a look to Ike. Ike sucks on SV and FD but loves BF. If the opponent knows this, Ike can't have BF one the first game.
Ike is okay an TaC and likes Lylat, but not like BF. If there are 5 starter, Ike can hope a fair first game. And this is good.
Ike is not the only one who loves BF and dislike the 2 others. Robin, ROB etc... are in the same boat. They're heavily penalized with the 3 starter list.
And thus my question comes in:

If this logic remains true and consistent, what circumstance should we be using 5 Stage Strike over Full Stage Strike? I've given my arguments for 3. Every argument that has been given to me so far that goes against 3 is either wrong (2nd player has a "huge" advantage), or predicates itself on the idea that more stages = better, and Smashville is not 'neutral' or 'neutral enough' to justify using 3.

My entire point is that 5 is in the in-between, and it serves no purpose.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
If this logic remains true and consistent, what circumstance should we be using 5 Stage Strike over Full Stage Strike? I've given my arguments for 3. Every argument that has been given to me so far that goes against 3 is either wrong (2nd player has a "huge" advantage), or predicates itself on the idea that more stages = better, and Smashville is not 'neutral' or 'neutral enough' to justify using 3.

People dislike FLSS because of trouble remembering all the stages, taking too long, or just encouraging people to Gentlemen's to Smashville even more often, among other things. Regardless of their reasons why, the fact of the matter is that FLSS does not quite have popular support from top players. 3 starter stage lists are also controversial. 5 starter stage lists WERE controversial, mainly because people did not like Lylat being the fifth stage. But with Lylat's jankiness fixed, most people don't seem to have a problem with it. 5 stage starter lists seem like the least controversial option, which means that you are in the minority for disliking them.

In-betweens do serve a purpose, because they allow for compromise. Anti-FLSS and anti-3-stage are the two loudest groups, so 5-stage lists are the logical compromise.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm not a Sheik player, but I do disagree with this notion. I don't know if you're taking this from the context of one or two players, or if the Sheik boards have an overwhelming consensus. I don't care to really check. Even if this were true, and assuming I was wrong, Reflex said basically anything I would have rather concisely.
Then let me do the work for you.

Sheik Subform Stage Thread

Quote the First:
Smashville: Everyone loves this stage. I don't know one person that doesn't. Thankfully it's a decent stage for Sheik as well. Our mobility allows us to use the platform to its fullest combo potential, as well allowing us to get around zoners with a lot of stage control (although they can use it against us, so be careful). The sides of the stage aren't as abusable as something like Battlefield or FD, but it's still possible to bounce off them. Sheik has issues killing sometimes, so a filthy little tactic that could be used is grabbing the opponent on the platform when it's near the side blast zones and throwing into them. Bouncing fish helps us secure this as well. And hey, us Sheik players have something on this stage (and Town and City) that no one else does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utOGSVKmgCs&feature=youtu.be
Overall, a good stage. Learn it, love it. Take anyone here.
Quote the Second:
TL;DR:
This stage is absolutely amazing for Sheik.

Advantages:
It's wide enough that you can play defensive/needle camp when needed, while also being small enough that people can't easily escape you if they're trying to camp. It's long enough that you can Fair string pretty well across it, but easily the best thing about this stage is that if you catch someone in a Fair string while the platform is off the stage, you can 0-death them incredibly easily by just carrying them up to the platform and off from there.
Bonus advantage:
for some reason everyone likes going here because it's the 'most neutral stage'. It isn't at all, but luckily for us it's one of Sheik's best stages, and people like taking us there.

Disadvantages:
The Downsides to this stage are small things like not being able to BF into the stage to recover (unlike Siege and some Omegas, for example), but nothing really major.

Other notes:
  • You can BF onto a balloon and bounce off of it, either to cover options or escape (or just look flashy, of course).
  • Blast Zones are average size.
Bold/color emphasis added by me.

From the same thread, Battlefield is similarly loved by Sheik players for safe platform pressure, sweetspot usmash on the lower platforms from the ground, and juggles for days. Final Destination is so-so, good in some matchups and bad in others.

In a 3 stage starter list consisting of Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville, Sheik literally gets a free counterpick stage game 1.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master

Quote the First:

Quote the Second:

From the same thread, Battlefield is similarly loved by Sheik players for safe platform pressure, sweetspot usmash on the lower platforms from the ground, and juggles for days. Final Destination is so-so, good in some matchups and bad in others.

In a 3 stage starter list consisting of Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville, Sheik literally gets a free counterpick stage game 1.
And game 2, gets her other best or second-best stage, as she can ban FD. And if the Sheik is feeling merciful, their opponent has to hope they're playing one of the single-digit-count of characters who can contend evenly with Sheik, all stage play aside.

The short of it is that between Smashville's neutrality and overwhelmingly high game one pick rate, and the fact that Battlefield and Final Destination, while not neutral in all match ups, are very acceptable in many depending on match up, it does not make sense to include Town & City and (especially) Lylat Cruise because if your goal is to include more than the primary three to offer more opportunity to narrow it down to an acceptable stage between players then FSS is just simply the better option.
I completely agree, and frankly if we're to extend to 5 (instead of FLSS), I don't think Lylat should be one of them, for the reason you stated. I'd probably push for T&C since it offers something resembling, say, Dracula's Castle M (that is, a much more dynamic environment with only the occasional balloon being unpredictable), which makes it dynamic in a more impactful way than a single moving platform. Assuming it could make it past the hyper-stage-conservatives, I'd push for most any traveling stage for the constant format changing they result in. Probably go with Wuhu since it, at least off the top of my head, isn't as prone to blast-zone changing resulting in "unexpected" kills.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
People dislike FLSS because of trouble remembering all the stages, taking too long, or just encouraging people to Gentlemen's to Smashville even more often, among other things. Regardless of their reasons why, the fact of the matter is that FLSS does not quite have popular support from top players. 3 starter stage lists are also controversial. 5 starter stage lists WERE controversial, mainly because people did not like Lylat being the fifth stage. But with Lylat's jankiness fixed, most people don't seem to have a problem with it. 5 stage starter lists seem like the least controversial option, which means that you are in the minority for disliking them.

In-betweens do serve a purpose, because they allow for compromise. Anti-FLSS and anti-3-stage are the two loudest groups, so 5-stage lists are the logical compromise.
I find this really a matter of precedent. Nine stages is not a lot to remember, which is currently the most widely used set of legal stages. I do not feel people would find it hard to remember these stages. Where it becomes complicated is in formats that include Wuhu Island, Skyloft, Pokemon Stadium 2, Mario Circuit, et cetera. Expanded lists.

Either way, people still don't like Lylat. I know I don't. The tilting ledges can still ruin many recoveries, and the on stage tilts also affect how the neutral plays out in a very big way. It's not a terrible legal stage anymore since the random airborne tumble states no longer happen whimsically, but I don't think people by and large really like the stage.

Quote the First:

Quote the Second:

Saying Sheik gets a free counterpick almost implies she gets a free advantage, which I disagree with. Outside of Sonic, I'm confident Sheik is likely Meta Knight's worse match up. On 3 Stage Strike, I would not give her Battlefield willingly. At least not with the way I currently understand the match up. And even though Meta Knight does not like Final Destination as much as the other two, I think Sheik would opt for Smashville. Meta Knight would not suffer from this choice, nor would it put Sheik in to an advantage in the match up any more than she is on other stages. With 5 Stage Strike, what really changes? Sheik is not going to give me Town & City. Not if the Sheik player has any sense. Sheik won't opt for Lylat Cruise over Smashville when it can screw over her Vanish and it blocks her Needles in neutral. So we're going to Smashville.

I'm just speaking from my main experience here. In what instance does Sheik get a 'free counterpick' here where she otherwise does not with 5 Stage Strike? The problem with this train of thinking is that you assume the scenario exists in a vacuum, and that a player might opt to ban both Smashville and Battlefield against Sheik, but in what instance is this going to actually going to give the other character a leg up on Sheik? I'm not being facetious, I'm looking for realistic tournament occurrences. What character would willingly ban out those two stages on a game 1 Sheik and not get screwed by doing so?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Saying Sheik gets a free counterpick almost implies she gets a free advantage, which I disagree with. Outside of Sonic, I'm confident Sheik is likely Meta Knight's worse match up. On 3 Stage Strike, I would not give her Battlefield willingly. At least not with the way I currently understand the match up. And even though Meta Knight does not like Final Destination as much as the other two, I think Sheik would opt for Smashville. Meta Knight would not suffer from this choice, nor would it put Sheik in to an advantage in the match up any more than she is on other stages. With 5 Stage Strike, what really changes? Sheik is not going to give me Town & City. Not if the Sheik player has any sense. Sheik won't opt for Lylat Cruise over Smashville when it can screw over her Vanish and it blocks her Needles in neutral. So we're going to Smashville.
Hold up a second.

First, on the off chance you still haven't done so, go read that thread I linked. At the very least, the bits I quoted above. Note that both Battlefield and Smashville are "take anyone here" stages for Sheik. (Their words, not mine.) In other words, they are Sheik's go-to stages for counterpicking, a process that is designed to let a character pick a stage that works to their advantage.

Second, these Sheik-approved counterpick stages (read: advantageous for Sheik) make up 2/3 of the starter list. Since each player only gets 1 strike in a 3 starter list, and if the Sheik knows anything at all about the stages that favor her, she'll strike Final Destination, then it's a foregone conclusion that game 1 will be played on either Battlefield or Smashville, whichever one her opponent decides not to strike. Recall, again, that both Battlefield and Smashville are Sheik's preferred counterpick stages -- out of the entire stage list, they are 2 of her most preferred stages in the whole game.

And you disagree that she gets a free advantage for game 1 in such a system.

I'm just speaking from my main experience here. In what instance does Sheik get a 'free counterpick' here where she otherwise does not with 5 Stage Strike? The problem with this train of thinking is that you assume the scenario exists in a vacuum, and that a player might opt to ban both Smashville and Battlefield against Sheik, but in what instance is this going to actually going to give the other character a leg up on Sheik? I'm not being facetious, I'm looking for realistic tournament occurrences.
That depends entirely on what the additional 2 stages are. T&C/LC, the two popular candidates, are admittedly both in the "good-to-great" boat for Stages According to Sheik (TM). But if instead you added, say, Duck Hunt and Delfino Plaza, it would be weighted against her since she would have 3 good-to-average stages and only 2 great ones, which the opponent would hopefully strike.

The overall point I'm trying to make is that the selection of available stages matters. Not just the whole selection, but the subset that is allowed for use in game 1.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hold up a second.

First, on the off chance you still haven't done so, go read that thread I linked. At the very least, the bits I quoted above. Note that both Battlefield and Smashville are "take anyone here" stages for Sheik. (Their words, not mine.) In other words, they are Sheik's go-to stages for counterpicking, a process that is designed to let a character pick a stage that works to their advantage.

Second, these Sheik-approved counterpick stages (read: advantageous for Sheik) make up 2/3 of the starter list. Since each player only gets 1 strike in a 3 starter list, and if the Sheik knows anything at all about the stages that favor her, she'll strike Final Destination, then it's a foregone conclusion that game 1 will be played on either Battlefield or Smashville, whichever one her opponent decides not to strike. Recall, again, that both Battlefield and Smashville are Sheik's preferred counterpick stages -- out of the entire stage list, they are 2 of her most preferred stages in the whole game.

And you disagree that she gets a free advantage for game 1 in such a system.

That depends entirely on what the additional 2 stages are. T&C/LC, the two popular candidates, are admittedly both in the "good-to-great" boat for Stages According to Sheik (TM). But if instead you added, say, Duck Hunt and Delfino Plaza, it would be weighted against her since she would have 3 good-to-average stages and only 2 great ones, which the opponent would hopefully strike.

The overall point I'm trying to make is that the selection of available stages matters. Not just the whole selection, but the subset that is allowed for use in game 1.
What constitutes a free advantage here, exactly?

You might see Sheik playing on her preferred stages as a free advantage. Okay. But if the match up is normally 6/4 in Sheik's favor, and if Sheik gets Battlefield/Smashville and it stays 6/4, that really doesn't change anything. The same goes if it were 5/5 or 4/6. And that's ultimately what's important here. How does the match up change?

If it were the case that Sheik would go from say, 5/5 to 6/4 in a match up depending on whether or not she got either stage (or for pragmatist sake, Smashville) and a 3 Stage Strike list ensured she got it where as a 5 Stage Strike system would have made it a 5/5, that is noteworthy.

People are not going to opt in to Duck Hunt as a 5th legal stage because it orients the stage list for game one around flat stages. Delfino, eh. I'm on the fence on that one.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
What constitutes a free advantage here, exactly?

You might see Sheik playing on her preferred stages as a free advantage. Okay. But if the match up is normally 6/4 in Sheik's favor, and if Sheik gets Battlefield/Smashville and it stays 6/4, that really doesn't change anything. The same goes if it were 5/5 or 4/6. And that's ultimately what's important here. How does the match up change?

If it were the case that Sheik would go from say, 5/5 to 6/4 in a match up depending on whether or not she got either stage (or for pragmatist sake, Smashville) and a 3 Stage Strike list ensured she got it where as a 5 Stage Strike system would have made it a 5/5, that is noteworthy.

People are not going to opt in to Duck Hunt as a 5th legal stage because it orients the stage list for game one around flat stages. Delfino, eh. I'm on the fence on that one.
My rule of thumb is that "if you would willingly pick this stage as a counterpick, it's too advantageous to make sense as a starter."

And Duck Hunt/Delfino was pulled out of my ass, it could be literally any two other stages. Apparently Sheik doesn't gain much in general from transforming stages, so honestly having one of Delfino/Skyloft/Wuhu on a 5 starter list seems like a not-bad idea. (Actually, who does benefit unusually much from transforming stages?)

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I just want to respond to this one point. I don't think you can say that 9>3>5 or 3>9>5 because it just doesn't make sense, so it seems to me that you're saying "5 starters is good but it's not as good as FLSS so what's the point?"

What are the downsides to 5 starters? If 5 starters was the status quo (which it could very well be, at this point in time it's certainly not uncommon, which is worth remembering) would people be arguing to reduce the number to 3 starters?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Floaty/footsie characters. If KJ64 isn't legal I usually like Wuhu or Skyloft when using Jiggly.
Transforming stages tend more towards giving players, rather than characters, advantages. I can't count the number of times in the last two days my brother has ranted over platform timing or positioning playing on Wuhu or Skyloft.

Also, the fact that few (if any) characters benefit very directly, I think, is a good sign that they're actually more fair on average.

That said, there are some occasions where characters can generally enjoy certain phases. Anyone who kills vertically likes Delfino for the early kill windows. Wuhu has an above-average number of walkoff components (or at least I think so, off the top of my head). There are certainly elements of these stages that can be utilized at one point in time or another to their advantage. Kinda like how T&C isn't as bad for Little Mac as Smashville, because there isn't ALWAYS a platform to camp.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I just want to respond to this one point. I don't think you can say that 9>3>5 or 3>9>5 because it just doesn't make sense, so it seems to me that you're saying "5 starters is good but it's not as good as FLSS so what's the point?"

What are the downsides to 5 starters? If 5 starters was the status quo (which it could very well be, at this point in time it's certainly not uncommon, which is worth remembering) would people be arguing to reduce the number to 3 starters?
Lylat Cruise places a burden on the ban phase. This can be due to a general dislike of the stage. Lylat has a tendency to sway matches due to the tilt, and players will avoid it for that reason even if both players are equally matched on the stage.

Disregarding this, assuming the players are competent with the stage, Lylat Cruise fails to counter balance the list as a platform oriented option the way Battlefield does because the tilting makes it a sub-optimal choice for many characters.

Here is an example. Olimar versus Ike. Olimar versus Ike is not a favourable match up for Ike. On flat or spacious stages, Ike has a very hard time dealing with Olimar's ground based defensive options because of the distance the Pikmin can travel, the projectile based damage, and Olimar's size. Ike needs to utilize platforming in order to equalize the odds. Battlefield is the obvious 1st choice for Ike, which a smart Olimar would ban. Clearly Final Destination is going to be banned by Ike for reasons I addressed. Normally this would be the part where Town & City and Lylat Cruise would be banned, and game one would begin on Smashville. However, because Ike needs to rely on auto cancel forward air, which Lylat Cruise really hurts via stage tilt, on top of the fact that the edge tilting can ruin Ike's chance of coming back to the stage, this is a very ideal choice for Olimar to take. Olimar benefits from these platforms in the match up, and unlike Ike, does not rely as heavily on his aerials and does not have his recovery impeded by the stage. All Olimar has to do now is ban Smashville, and Olimar is at an advantage. Ike now has to choose between Town & City, which is a pseudo Final Destination for half of its cycle, and Lylat Cruise which we just went over. If Ike bans Lylat, the choice comes down to Town & City and Final Destination.

Here's another example. Lucario versus Captain Falcon. Lucario versus Captain Falcon is not ideal for Lucario. Lucario does not do well against characters that have the ability to take his stock lead early. On top of this, he has a lot of difficulty dealing with Captain Falcon's neutral because his burst options, dash grab and dash attack, put Lucario in to a mix up situation in which his options are very limited. In order to mitigate this problem, Lucario needs to utilize platforms. Once again, Battlefield is the obvious choice. Captain Falcon loves Battlefield too, however he does not rely on it as much as Lucario in order to even the odds. Captain Falcon would ban Battlefield if he is knowledgeable on how the match up goes. Lucario in turn is going to ban Town & City. The low ceiling does nothing for Lucario in this match up and makes him die early to Raptor Boost reads and up airs, along with giving him little ability to escape from or mix up against Falcon's neutral game. Once again, we're at a cross road where the burden Lylat places on the match up puts a character in a tight spot. While it's better than Town & City, Lucario is not going to do as well on Final Destination as he will on Smashville, and Lucario does not want to go to Lylat Cruise either because it screws up Aura Sphere, Force Palm, and puts Lucario in situations where he will often have to land on the stage to avoid dying while recovering, succumbing him to a free punish. While it's not amazing for Captain Falcon, he does fine on Lylat by comparison, who has relatively lagless aerials and a much more forgiving up special given the context of the stage dynamics. Falcon bans Smashville, and Lucario now has to fight an even harder up hill battle.

Both scenarios would be avoided in a 3 Stage Strike system. The reason this happens is because there are normally counter-balances in the stage list; platform oriented maps, flat space maps, and a middle ground. Lylat Cruise can act as a platform oriented map, but sometimes it's not an option because of the other stage attributes. You know, those same attributes the primary three don't have.

It's essentially the reverse problem of having Duck Hunt as the 5th neutral in the stage order. Duck Hunt biases the stage list towards flats, while Lylat Cruise only provides a second option as a platformer some of the time.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lylat Cruise places a burden on the ban phase. This can be due to a general dislike of the stage. Lylat has a tendency to sway matches due to the tilt, and players will avoid it for that reason even if both players are equally matched on the stage.

Disregarding this, assuming the players are competent with the stage, Lylat Cruise fails to counter balance the list as a platform oriented option the way Battlefield does because the tilting makes it a sub-optimal choice for many characters.

Here is an example. Olimar versus Ike. Olimar versus Ike is not a favourable match up for Ike. On flat or spacious stages, Ike has a very hard time dealing with Olimar's ground based defensive options because of the distance the Pikmin can travel, the projectile based damage, and Olimar's size. Ike needs to utilize platforming in order to equalize the odds. Battlefield is the obvious 1st choice for Ike, which a smart Olimar would ban. Clearly Final Destination is going to be banned by Ike for reasons I addressed. Normally this would be the part where Town & City and Lylat Cruise would be banned, and game one would begin on Smashville. However, because Ike needs to rely on auto cancel forward air, which Lylat Cruise really hurts via stage tilt, on top of the fact that the edge tilting can ruin Ike's chance of coming back to the stage, this is a very ideal choice for Olimar to take. Olimar benefits from these platforms in the match up, and unlike Ike, does not rely as heavily on his aerials and does not have his recovery impeded by the stage. All Olimar has to do now is ban Smashville, and Olimar is at an advantage. Ike now has to choose between Town & City, which is a pseudo Final Destination for half of its cycle, and Lylat Cruise which we just went over. If Ike bans Lylat, the choice comes down to Town & City and Final Destination.

Here's another example. Lucario versus Captain Falcon. Lucario versus Captain Falcon is not ideal for Lucario. Lucario does not do well against characters that have the ability to take his stock lead early. On top of this, he has a lot of difficulty dealing with Captain Falcon's neutral because his burst options, dash grab and dash attack, put Lucario in to a mix up situation in which his options are very limited. In order to mitigate this problem, Lucario needs to utilize platforms. Once again, Battlefield is the obvious choice. Captain Falcon loves Battlefield too, however he does not rely on it as much as Lucario in order to even the odds. Captain Falcon would ban Battlefield if he is knowledgeable on how the match up goes. Lucario in turn is going to ban Town & City. The low ceiling does nothing for Lucario in this match up and makes him die early to Raptor Boost reads and up airs, along with giving him little ability to escape from or mix up against Falcon's neutral game. Once again, we're at a cross road where the burden Lylat places on the match up puts a character in a tight spot. While it's better than Town & City, Lucario is not going to do as well on Final Destination as he will on Smashville, and Lucario does not want to go to Lylat Cruise either because it screws up Aura Sphere, Force Palm, and puts Lucario in situations where he will often have to land on the stage to avoid dying while recovering, succumbing him to a free punish. While it's not amazing for Captain Falcon, he does fine on Lylat by comparison, who has relatively lagless aerials and a much more forgiving up special given the context of the stage dynamics. Falcon bans Smashville, and Lucario now has to fight an even harder up hill battle.

Both scenarios would be avoided in a 3 Stage Strike system. The reason this happens is because there are normally counter-balances in the stage list; platform oriented maps, flat space maps, and a middle ground. Lylat Cruise can act as a platform oriented map, but sometimes it's not an option because of the other stage attributes. You know, those same attributes the primary three don't have.

It's essentially the reverse problem of having Duck Hunt as the 5th neutral in the stage order. Duck Hunt biases the stage list towards flats, while Lylat Cruise only provides a second option as a platformer some of the time.
In a 3-strike system, Ike is taken to Smashville where Olimar out-camps him for 6-8 minutes (Ike can't rely on the platform and the horizontal space he has to cover is huge), and Lucario is taken to Smashville, where Captain Falcon can utilize the platform and his aerials to kill Lucario early. Those matchups don't seem to make a difference between the proposed 3 or the proposed 5.

An alternate take could be as follows. Lucario bans Lylat, the small (even with guiding) edges are hardish to aim at with Extremespeed, the tilt screws with his projectiles, and the close horizontal lines take his leads early (to say nothing of CFalc's aerials). Captain Falcon bans Battlefield via your logic above (I see no issues with it). Lucario bans FD because it lacks the platforms he would like to utilize. This leaves us Smashville and T&C, neither of which strikes me as being as bad for Lucario as Lylat.

Unrelated:
We should not open the can of worms that comes from banning things due to unpopularity. But just like unfamiliarity with Lylat causes salt and strikes, other players will strike/ban the over-popular stages (given the chance) and take matches to stages they expect they know better than their opponent.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Both scenarios would be avoided in a 3 Stage Strike system. The reason this happens is because there are normally counter-balances in the stage list; platform oriented maps, flat space maps, and a middle ground.
Your argument for a 3 stage striking system shouldn't be that it always strikes to Smashville. If you want that, then you should be arguing that Smashville should be the only stage allowed round 1. That obviously has problems since some characters greatly benefit and some characters are really hurt from playing on Smashville.

Ulevo

Smash Master
In a 3-strike system, Ike is taken to Smashville where Olimar out-camps him for 6-8 minutes (Ike can't rely on the platform and the horizontal space he has to cover is huge), and Lucario is taken to Smashville, where Captain Falcon can utilize the platform and his aerials to kill Lucario early. Those matchups don't seem to make a difference between the proposed 3 or the proposed 5.
I can't speak for the Olimar match up, but for the Lucario match up, I can. And it does make a difference.

An alternate take could be as follows. Lucario bans Lylat, the small (even with guiding) edges are hardish to aim at with Extremespeed, the tilt screws with his projectiles, and the close horizontal lines take his leads early (to say nothing of CFalc's aerials). Captain Falcon bans Battlefield via your logic above (I see no issues with it). Lucario bans FD because it lacks the platforms he would like to utilize. This leaves us Smashville and T&C, neither of which strikes me as being as bad for Lucario as Lylat.
I assure you that Town and City is not optimal when compared to Smashville. The blastzones are smaller both horizontally and vertically. One of Captain Falcon's most reliable kill methods is back throw at the ledge and back air, both of which become easier on Town & City. Lucario needs to live long. On top of this, the platforms on the Town transformation don't help Lucario very much because they're too high to utilize while leaving him vulnerable to up air juggles.

Your argument for a 3 stage striking system shouldn't be that it always strikes to Smashville. If you want that, then you should be arguing that Smashville should be the only stage allowed round 1. That obviously has problems since some characters greatly benefit and some characters are really hurt from playing on Smashville.
That's not my argument, that's just sort of the reality of how it winds up, regardless on which system you use. Obviously you don't want to use just Smashville because then game one would be largely biased towards any characters that do well exclusively on Smashville. Having Battlefield and Final Destination provide options against this, but that does not mean they're going to be the optimal middle ground most of the time. I've already covered the problems with the other stages, and why increasing it to 5 does not work, with my examples on Lylat Cruise. Of course, as you keep adding stages to the starter list, this becomes less of an issue because the ability to ban Smashville and force a game one on to something else more favourable to your character becomes more likely the larger the stage list becomes.

My rule of thumb is that "if you would willingly pick this stage as a counterpick, it's too advantageous to make sense as a starter."

And Duck Hunt/Delfino was pulled out of my ***, it could be literally any two other stages. Apparently Sheik doesn't gain much in general from transforming stages, so honestly having one of Delfino/Skyloft/Wuhu on a 5 starter list seems like a not-bad idea. (Actually, who does benefit unusually much from transforming stages?)
Well that rule of thumb doesn't make sense because you're not going to counterpick it in every instance, and just because it's the most optimal choice for the character does not mean it creates an advantage for you. It might just ensure you don't have a disadvantage.

And why should we base our starter list on how well Sheik does on said list? I've been humoring the debate up to this point, but it's honestly pretty flawed.

Also, there are characters that benefit from transforming stages. If you put Delfino on as the 5th starter, Meta Knight would have a field day.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
That's not my argument, that's just sort of the reality of how it winds up, regardless on which system you use. Obviously you don't want to use just Smashville because then game one would be largely biased towards any characters that do well exclusively on Smashville. Having Battlefield and Final Destination provide options against this, but that does not mean they're going to be the optimal middle ground most of the time. I've already covered the problems with the other stages, and why increasing it to 5 does not work, with my examples on Lylat Cruise. Of course, as you keep adding stages to the starter list, this becomes less of an issue because the ability to ban Smashville and force a game one on to something else more favourable to your character becomes more likely the larger the stage list becomes.
So having Battlefield and Final Destination there is to make it seem like it's more fair, and we can't add more stages because it would make it less likely to get Smashville round 1 (if I'm understanding you correctly).

Here's the main problem 3 starter stages. Using this system, if I'm only playing Shulk, I'm going to get a more neutral stage for most matchups on my opponent's counterpick than I am round 1. Since I want to ban Final Destination and Smashville most of the time, round 3 I can use my 2 bans on them and get a more neutral stage than I can round 1 where I can only get rid of one. There's obviously some matchups where this doesn't apply, but it happens in enough matchups where it's clear there's a flaw in the system. I'll probably still end up on a disadvantageous stage round 3, but it will be better than FD or Smashville.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well that rule of thumb doesn't make sense because you're not going to counterpick it in every instance, and just because it's the most optimal choice for the character does not mean it creates an advantage for you. It might just ensure you don't have a disadvantage.

And why should we base our starter list on how well Sheik does on said list? I've been humoring the debate up to this point, but it's honestly pretty flawed.

Also, there are characters that benefit from transforming stages. If you put Delfino on as the 5th starter, Meta Knight would have a field day.
Sheik's just the most convenient example. None of it should be construed as applying to her exclusively.

Also re: Olimar vs. Ike, I'd strike Smashville second as Ike, right behind FD. Which means that if Olimar strikes Battlefield then the game would go to either T&C or Lylat, given a BF/FD/SV/T&C/LC starter list.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm honestly confused why anyone thought a 3-starter list was a good idea, ever. Absurd advantage to the 2nd striker and the 1st striker doesn't even get any information on which to base his strikes.
You've already picked your characters; what else are you hoping to glean from what they decide to ban? Matchup knowledge already dictates the overwhelming majority of reasoning for picking your stage(s) to strike, whether it's a 3-stage list or a 5-stage list.

If someone decides to strike Battlefield against my Little Mac, it's not going to make me like FD any less.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
What data?

Go to any YouTube channel. VGC, Team Spooky, Tourney Locator, Clash, EGOfficial, pick one. Watch them. Tell me how many sets played on Smashville. Tell me how many game one's played on Smashville.

Heck. Ignore your biased opinion for a moment, go to a tournament literally anywhere, and see which stages are played game one.

I'll give you a hint. It starts with an "S" and ends in "mashville."
And whenever I see this, I remember that I see people consistently counterpick Ice Climbers to Smashville in Brawl - You know, IC's second-best stage - just because they were comfortable there. And people are counterpicking Shieks to SV or BF, despite those being Shiek's best stages in almost every matchup. As I keep saying, there's a methodological problem here: player preference is screwing with character/stage balance. But in what we're trying to test, we don't care about player preference! Every time a CF counterpicks a Shiek to Smashville, this creates a problem for this method, because, big shocker, Smashville is clearly a counterpick for Shiek in the matchup. It shows that people will favor SV even when it's clearly against their favor.

Like, looking at the recent Smash videos on Team Spooky's channel, I see a lot of different starters. The first time I saw SV, it was a Mario counterpicking Shiek there. That. Should. Not. Happen. To be honest, that's just straight-up player error. Much like starting Battlefield against DK (which, by the way, also happened for some bizarre reason in the DKWill/Vex set). The player's personal preference is getting in the way of them getting the most out of the engine - that, or they just lack experience. It's like if people kept on striking Sonics to FD - you'd immediately see the problem, and you wouldn't try to draw conclusions about the game's balance based on that, right?

And how is data from a 3 starter list useless? Because it's clearly not. It still provides data. It won't show that Smashville is being chosen more over say, Lylat Cruise, excluding counterpicks. But it will tell you what the pick ratio is between Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville. That's important information.
If one stage has a ton of platforms and another has no platforms, and there's one in the middle, and if most characters, superficially, favor more or less platforms, it's blatantly obvious that that's where they're most likely to end up. Come on, work with me here. What are the primary differences between those three stages? All three are predominately flat+plat with very little movement, so let's see differences...
- Size: FD is large, BF is small, SV is in the middle
- Platform layout: FD has no platforms and thus negates platforms as an element of gameplay, BF has tons of platforms and thus requires platforms as an element of gameplay, SV has one moving platform.
Those are the most significant differences, and they both form a continuum where Smashville is neatly in the middle. If one player strikes BF, the other is almost certain to strike FD for the same reasons. As a result, gathering data from three-starter is useless, because starting on SV is all but guaranteed in most matchups. Any matchup where one side has a preference about stage size or platform layout, you're going to SV. And those are really the significant differences, so if there's no preference, guess what happens? That aforementioned smashville bias comes into play and it just sort of defaults there. So you should expect to see Smashville drastically overrepresented in 3-starter striking.

You're calling this Smashville-bias as if to say that the players do not have a legitimate reason for the stage choice. Which is ridiculous, since everyone plays on it. This isn't like how players are ignorant about Wuhu Island because they've hardly every played it and can't form their own conclusions. Smashville has been the most played on stage since Brawl's release.

Right, and you don't see how this might have something to do with a bias? Like, look upthread. Luigi Player can't even imagine that some players might have an easier time remembering the transformations on other stages over Smashville. And players may very well have a legitimate reason for the stage choice. Personal preference is a legitimate reason! It's just not something we care about when talking about stage striking and ruleset design, because personal preference is completely arbitrary. If a ZSS and a Shiek are doing FLSS and they end up on Smashville, the fact that the ZSS is okay with that and meant to go there because he likes the stage does nothing to mitigate the fact that he ended up with one of the worst stages for him in that matchup, and that optimal play would dictate almost any other stage before it.

First of all, a scientific method is not flawed because it lacks sufficient data. A scientific method is flawed if the due process was not conducted correctly.
Or if the experimental design ignores crucial confounding factors.

Secondly, the source data being biased does not matter.
In this case it very explicitly does. If we're trying to measure "what is the most neutral stage in the game for the most matchups", and our methodology is "check where people start the most", but this data is tainted by people going to Smashville even though it sucks for them in the matchup, we have a clear problem with the methodology!

It matters if the scientists themselves adhere to bias, and this affects the due process. If we wanted to conduct a study on coffee and its ill or beneficial effects on human health long term, you don't throw out all the available data collected just because coffee drinkers are often people who smoke, and thus present an external factor that can effect the results. You control for these variables and see what results you get when these are excluded.
So how do you propose we control for this variable?

Even with all that said, like I mentioned before, you're just assuming there is this Smashville bias that's inherently there without giving the competitive community the credit it deserves. Your perspective on Smashville as a stage puts you in the minority here.
I'm not assuming that there's a bias, I'm going off of what we know about which stages are good or bad in given matchups and noticing that a lot of people are picking SV in situations they wouldn't if they didn't have a clear bias in favor of the stage.

And you don't need to 'have access' to the development teams original design philosophy to draw conclusions about the stages and their design. It's pretty clear what you have. You have stages with flat spaces, with platforms, and a hybrid of them.
So how do the various stages of Delfino, Skyloft, and Wuhu fit into this picture? How does Mario Circuit fit into this picture? How about Lylat? How could you consider these stages archetypal when it seems like there are far more stages that move, attack the player, transform, have pass-through floors, etc.? And the assertion that it's fair to assume that these are balanced as a result... Well, that's even sillier.

I don't know if you were around back when Brawl was at MLG, but Dazwa and MK26 put in the work to aggregate data from the 2010 circuit, including stage ban, stage counterpick, character choice, et cetera. Final Destination was the most banned stage. Even if you remove Metaknight from the data, it's still the most banned stage. 12 characters banned Final Destination more than any other stage; for 19, it was in their top 3. Now, Smash 4 doesn't have quite that kind of divide. There aren't as many characters who hate flat surfaces with no platforms, nor are there as many characters like Falco or ICs who are a huge pain in the ass there. But it proves a point - simply because a stage appears archetypal (and you can make the same argument about BF/SV/FD and it's just as silly in Brawl, mind you) does not mean that it's balanced or neutral in the majority of matchups, or, indeed, at all. This argument just falls apart at every level.

???

Strike it. You have two strikes. Also, I feel the need to repeat this; player preference is something we need to aggressively ignore to death in this discussion. Who cares if most people will just automatically strike Lylat first? That's their problem, because they are playing poorly. Much like the ZSS who will counterpick a Shiek to SV, if Lylat isn't bad for them and they strike it because they don't like it, they made a mistake.

Do you seriously want to tell me that for a character who relies on platforms, Town&City is worse than Smashville? Yeah, I'm not buying that. And congratulations, you found a matchup which seems to get worse with 5 starter. Of course, what you might be ignoring is how it plays out with full list stage striking. How does that work? Where do they end up if they strike from all 9/11/13 legal stages? I personally don't know; I know next to nothing about the matchup, but it's an important question to answer.

Let's ignore for the moment that I seriously doubt that Lucario is as bad on Lylat (especially after they fixed the ledges) as you claim - how does it mess with Force Palm, exactly? Again, same question. How does the matchup play out on FLSS? Yeah, it looks bad. Maybe that's because CF is simply a lot better on a lot more stages than Lucario is? Maybe Lucario is getting an unreasonable advantage when he gets Smashville in round one.

And of course, these are just two matchups. How about the Shiek-Pikachu matchup, where it goes from two stages out of three that Shiek loves to two stages out of five that shiek loves, while adding one that Pikachu loves? It'll probably strike to FD or T&C, rather than SV or BF, a much more fair pick in round one. How about the ZSS-Luigi matchup, where ZSS is no longer shoehorned into one of her worst stages in that matchup (SV or FD) and instead can strike both and end up on Lylat, T&C, or BF, all of which are considerably less counterpicky for Luigi? How about Ganon-Sonic, where, again, we avoid the obnoxious SV/FD paradigm and instead can get a stage which doesn't suck total ass for Ganon.

You can try to boil it down to "oh look now there are more platform stages and that biases the list" all you want, but you know what really biases the list? Having two of the stages with the least platform coverage in the game on a 3-stage list.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Which is a stupid rule that makes you look stubborn and just making the most easy conclusion that doesn't really have to be about the truth.

Like, if there were 2 allowed stages, and one is considered by players to be less fair than the other, they'd all agree to start on the one that is more fair, instead of maybe choosing random to select the stage.
Now with your tunnel vision you'd see "damn, they always choose this stage, so it must be good for their character! the other one must be much better and should be my stage of choice".

If players just like a stage because there aren't sometimes a few imbalances occuring and they want consistency (like most top players want), then they'd choose that stage, because they don't want to get screwed by anything stupid a stage could provide.
Of course they would also try to get to a stage where they have an advantage as well (for most: as long as it doesn't have any weird risks).

You could probably see the general consensus of stagechoice by most players. If TaC is a starter, most matches would probably start with SV or TaC. Why? Because people like these kind of stages, because they seem the most "balanced" from a platform to no platform perspective while not having any weird stuff (although as you can see there are players who dislike it because the platform can drag you into your death if you're hit with the wrong move at the wrong place at the wrong time). Most people still dislike Lylat because of the angling or the uneven ground, or think that the ledges are even more weird.

I still don't get this mentality that tries to even up MUs by using stages. Of course, if characters "break" stages then they likely get banned to safe the game, but that pretty much only happened with MK on some in Brawl, and with Fox' shine in Melee. We choose stages because they're healthy for competition, not because they help a character to get better, or give other characters are harder time (which mostly might not even be the case, some stages just aren't as neutral (not the MU perspective) as other's and janky stuff can happen (like missing the ledge because of the platform angling on Lylat), which can give the illusion of it being worse for a character, because it creates more random results).

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
Which is a stupid rule that makes you look stubborn and just making the most easy conclusion that doesn't really have to be about the truth.

Like, if there were 2 allowed stages, and one is considered by players to be less fair than the other, they'd all agree to start on the one that is more fair, instead of maybe choosing random to select the stage.
Now with your tunnel vision you'd see "damn, they always choose this stage, so it must be good for their character! the other one must be much better and should be my stage of choice".
Way to take a claim about this meta and apply it to a hypothetical meta where it really makes no sense.

For starters, there's no consistent way to determine what stage is the more neutral with two stages. You have no frame of reference. In a game where the only characters are Rose, Gouken, and Ken, Gouken's fireball game seems downright amazing. Of course, in a game with Akuma, Sagat, Guile, and Ryu, it comes off more as quaint. Similarly, with only two stages, it's impossible to tell what is or is not neutral. If the only stages in Brawl were FD and RC, which one would be the more fair? There's literally no way of telling, because there's no frame of reference. Without a third stage, the two have completely equal claim to "fairest stage" status.

Secondly, if one of those two stages is really good for me, and the other isn't, I'm going to go for the one that's really good for me. You know why? Because I am a competitive gamer. I want to win, and I will abuse the game engine as much as I can to do so. Not doing this is like having a secondary DDD in Brawl and not pulling it out against a DK because you'd feel bad about it. You're giving up a huge advantage for no good reason. You can agree to start on the one which is "more fair" all you want; when ChixT says "I don't want to strike, just pick wherever", my first thought is not, "All right, let's be fair to the guy who is giving me a huge advantage," my first thought is, "Ooh, sweet, game one Halberd!" Because that's how competitive gaming works. It's like feeling bad for abusing Dhalsim's stand medium kick against a Hugo - yeah, it probably sucks to be your opponent, but if he's going to give you that, take it. Win. Don't hold yourself back with artificial rules.

If players just like a stage because there aren't sometimes a few imbalances occuring and they want consistency (like most top players want), then they'd choose that stage, because they don't want to get screwed by anything stupid a stage could provide.
I feel the need to point out that if you're worried about getting "screwed by anything stupid" on the stage you're on, and the stage you're on isn't Skyloft, Halberd, Kalos, or worse, you're probably bad at at least one fundamental skill in Super Smash Bros. A good player will never, ever get "screwed by anything stupid" on any of the other commonly legal stages.

I still don't get this mentality that tries to even up MUs by using stages.
You really don't get it, because that's not what we're trying to do at all. :p

Top Bottom