• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It was fun while it lasted

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
The nerfs were unfortunately necessary. However I still think Sheik is a great character and will always be my main.

Judo777

Smash Master
Fairs new knockback angle is IMO the worst change (I still don't believe anyone on the DACUS change, because half the people relaying information think we are talking about hyphen smash....). Like the new angle is freaking atrocious is like a 45 degree angle upward. I was trying and the move is literally not capable of gimping Mario, it kills him off the side before it knocks him too far away to make it back.

I can cope with BF changes it doesn't seem too huge (although I am really upset about ledge canceling removed because that was a very cool high skill cap technique).

I heard dsmash got buffed but its still useless.

Obviously kill power will be a problem (it already was so I'm used to it) but with the new changes, with the exception of bair and BF none of our aerials kill an MK with no vector at 160% which is pretty sad (uair was tested with MK on battle fields lower platform). BF will barely kill him at about 155 and bair at 145ish (sweet spot). With the lack of fair for gimping I expect it to not be uncommon at all to see opponents reach 200% in tournament play.

^^^ and no I will argue to the death that they were not. We have no reason aside from word of mouth to think that Sheik was in need of nerfing. All we know if that people felt she was good. People also felt Rob and GW were good in Brawl and that Diddy wasn't very good.

Last edited:

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
This just increases the skill and patience needed to play Sheik. Really shouldn't effect her overall spot on the tier list.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
(I still don't believe anyone on the DACUS change, because half the people relaying information think we are talking about hyphen smash....).
I have 2 3DS's and one was not updated today. I was able to perform DACUS 5 times in a row on the one that was not updated.
I was unable to perform it at all on the updated version.
In case they made it harder I also tried to do it as Jiggs. Jiggs was easy enough to perform it in normal speed prior to the update. After many attempts as jiggs I was unable to perform it a single time.

Dash Attack canceled grabs are still in the game, but I can confirm that DACUS is not.

Last edited:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
This suuuuuucksssss...

It's basically brawl sheik all over again, with rage added. Killing at 190% = risking to die much earlier every stock, when our character is already so fragile :'(

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Sorry Sheik got nerfed so hard. I feel Nintendo should have removed bugs, (i.e. Shadow Sneak Cancel), but not nerf characters that are already strong and balanced. Buff characters so that they are able to be competitively viable (i.e. Ike) because that helps the meta. If one character is unfairly strong (i.e. Brawl MK), then nerf it, but if a character is strong, but requires training and skill to succeed (i.e. Little Mac, SSB4 Shiek, Snake), then leave them be. That shows that the character is well designed. Remember, there will be future patches, so Sheik could be buffed again. Stay strong, guys.

Last edited:

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
your right but its more like were greiving the loss of easily our favroite move sheik had.
its like having all the Legend of Zelda games then one day you pop in ocarina of time to find that its instead zelda CDI. then yoy discover that every OOT is Zelda CDI. You would be really pissed. you still have all the other Zelda games and there all great but for now your pretty sad that you lost OOT for now
That's taking it a bit far though. If your comparison were accurate, bouncing fish would heal THE OPPONENT on hit.

No, bouncing fish is more like OOT, but 1 or 2 temples are missing. Sure it's not as amazing as it used to be, but it's still great.

Judo777

Smash Master
That's taking it a bit far though. If your comparison were accurate, bouncing fish would heal THE OPPONENT on hit.

No, bouncing fish is more like OOT, but 1 or 2 temples are missing. Sure it's not as amazing as it used to be, but it's still great.
I don't even know what this means..... lol just messin

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I have 2 3DS's and one was not updated today. I was able to perform DACUS 5 times in a row on the one that was not updated.
I was unable to perform it at all on the updated version.
In case they made it harder I also tried to do it as Jiggs. Jiggs was easy enough to perform it in normal speed prior to the update. After many attempts as jiggs I was unable to perform it a single time.

Dash Attack canceled grabs are still in the game, but I can confirm that DACUS is not.
This was tested with a C stick?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So much unnecessary drama and overreaction. People think a character is done for rather than looking for ways to adapt. No need to throw tantrums either.

So they pretty much butchered one of the only characters I like to use and the only one that I dedicated hours of effort?

Well, what a relief I suppose, saves me about 400$ +Tax, Good job Nintendo.
Obligatory

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sure, Sheik got two fo her kill moves taken away. But she's still bloody fast, with amazing combo and followup potential. Also her bair can kill, and bouncing fish still doubles her recovery. Adding in walled stages, you should NOT die with Sheik from lack of recovery. Honestly, I'll still be maining Sheik.

She needed some sort of nerf. Maybe it was a bit much, what they did, but hey, she's still great.

Definitely top 5. And to those moving on...shame on you.

She doesn't even feel different, aside from the noticeable lack of strong attacks.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Pieces and Jellufish still kill at 120 from center of FD, btw. Pieces is janky to hit with and has horrible lag, but it's better than BF now. Jellyfish is more of a trap deal, but it seems to be useful on recovering people.

Last edited:

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
This just increases the skill and patience needed to play Sheik. Really shouldn't effect her overall spot on the tier list.
this.

seriously, we need to stop focusing so hard on the numbers aspect of it all and realize that now we have to bait our attacks more carefully and kill more deliberately.

nothing has mechanically has changed for sheik, aside from some BF shenanigans, which is why I believe she is still valid top tier.

mobility, edge presence, speed are unchanged. we really need to reevaluate our goals as sheik mains and focus on what we excel at and the numbers will fall into place.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I was fighting a Marth and killed him at around 110-120% at the edge of the stage with sweetspot backair.

Also, Sheik still has her strongest weapon: her speed. My friends always complain, when I use her, that they just can't hit her.

Who cares if they can kill more than us?

Between our Melee-like speed and MK-esque aerial priority, LET'S SEE THEM TRY TO HIT US FIRST.

YEAH.

Last edited:

Dyce

Smash Cadet
I agree with the majority here that will continue to main Sheik. Frankly, look at this as a way to adapt to your character instead of giving up. Sheik's kill options weren't very apparent even pre-nerf. Be creative with the way you get your kills. Read and manipulate the situation to fish for your kills.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I agree with the majority here that will continue to main Sheik. Frankly, look at this as a way to adapt to your character instead of giving up. Sheik's kill options weren't very apparent even pre-nerf. Be creative with the way you get your kills. Read and manipulate the situation to fish for your kills.
You can't fish for kills anymore, silly.

Bouncing fish was nerfed.

o3o

No but fr srs, I agree. Sheik's best kill option has, and always will be, gimping.

That's just how it is.

Dyce

Smash Cadet
You can't fish for kills anymore, silly.

Bouncing fish was nerfed.

o3o

No but fr srs, I agree. Sheik's best kill option has, and always will be, gimping.

That's just how it is.
lol when I said fish I didn't mean Bouncing Fish. Fish as in, bait out? haha. But yes. Gimping is key and always will be.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
lol when I said fish I didn't mean Bouncing Fish. Fish as in, bait out? haha. But yes. Gimping is key and always will be.
I know ;3 I was jk.

And yeah, with ftilts that combo into themselves several times, more if you inch forward (I've gotten around 7-8 on Ganon) that can combo into like 3-4 upairs

I'd say Sheik is still pretty damn good.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Sheik is truthfully the only character I would be able to main, apart from maybe Sanic and Perc-Mern.

Sheik's nerf has made it hard to kill, but it didn't make it impossible. Instead of BF off stage, just fair. Or BF to gimp.

I feel like uair is harder to hit, and needles should only be used from a far distance. If you miss a close range needles then the punish is real.

My opinion: Sheik is not Top 5. Not at all. Top 10? Yes. No way she isn't.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sheik is truthfully the only character I would be able to main, apart from maybe Sanic and Perc-Mern.

Sheik's nerf has made it hard to kill, but it didn't make it impossible. Instead of BF off stage, just fair. Or BF to gimp.

I feel like uair is harder to hit, and needles should only be used from a far distance. If you miss a close range needles then the punish is real.

My opinion: Sheik is not Top 5. Not at all. Top 10? Yes. No way she isn't.
But who else could be Top 5 instead of her?

ZSS, Yoshi, Sheik, Greninja, and Rosalina were at the top.

I wonder how it'd change....

I mean, my bet is that Sheik can still be top 5, but we'll just have to wait.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
But who else could be Top 5 instead of her?

ZSS, Yoshi, Sheik, Greninja, and Rosalina were at the top.

I wonder how it'd change....

I mean, my bet is that Sheik can still be top 5, but we'll just have to wait.
Did yoshi get a nerf? I know ZSS, G-ninja, and Rosalina did. I think Greninja and Sheik will move down to maybe 5 and 6, but not all the way to 10. Sorry if I confused you.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Did yoshi get a nerf? I know ZSS, G-ninja, and Rosalina did. I think Greninja and Sheik will move down to maybe 5 and 6, but not all the way to 10. Sorry if I confused you.
Yoshi's dash attack got nerfed. Also his neutral B is slower to come out.

Who'd replace them?

Shulk got a lot of buffs, think he might reach for that Top 5?

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Yoshi's dash attack got nerfed. Also his neutral B is slower to come out.

Who'd replace them?

Shulk got a lot of buffs, think he might reach for that Top 5?
Shulk maybe, Ike maybe ( Seems unreasonable, but he got a LOT of buffs), Lucario and Sonic don't seem to have significant changes maybe if Sheik + Ninja go past them they will jump ahead. Same goes for Robin.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I know ZSS will remain. I doubt Yoshi will fall from Top 5. Shulk has a possibility. Ike...he got faster, and a SH fair autocancel, but overall, I feel that he'd be mid tier to high mid tier at best.

Sonic might go into the top 5, but I doubt Lucario will. His aura is powerful, but his early game is weak.

I think there will be spot in the top 5 for ONE of the ninjas, but whether its Sheik or Greninja remains to be seen.

Personally, I prefer Greninja now rather than how he was before. I'm the only person who will EVER say this. But I play better with him now.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I know ZSS will remain. I doubt Yoshi will fall from Top 5. Shulk has a possibility. Ike...he got faster, and a SH fair autocancel, but overall, I feel that he'd be mid tier to high mid tier at best.

Sonic might go into the top 5, but I doubt Lucario will. His aura is powerful, but his early game is weak.

I think there will be spot in the top 5 for ONE of the ninjas, but whether its Sheik or Greninja remains to be seen.

Personally, I prefer Greninja now rather than how he was before. I'm the only person who will EVER say this. But I play better with him now.
Any character that got a heavy buff will be moving up a lot. Shulk and Ike might move up 5-10 spots, and I wouldn't be surprised.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Any character that got a heavy buff will be moving up a lot. Shulk and Ike might move up 5-10 spots, and I wouldn't be surprised.
Meta Knight top tier again?

Lol

XP

I'd say he might be top 10-15, he got some nice buffs too.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Meta Knight top tier again?

Lol

XP

I'd say he might be top 10-15, he got some nice buffs too.
Yeah. I'm not looking forward to seeing a bunch of MKs in For Glory though. :p

They did a nerf/buff to pacman by making his hydrant more sturdy. He's already low to mid tier, so I thought that was off. I'm trying to practice as him just in case sheik gets another big nerf in the future. :p

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
To be fair, the fire hydrant could be seen as a buff, but most use it to smack the opponent.

You can still send it flying with a forward smash tho, no?

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
To be fair, the fire hydrant could be seen as a buff, but most use it to smack the opponent.

You can still send it flying with a forward smash tho, no?
It has to be charged a bit, but not too much, or else you'll be shooed away by water. I think of it as a nerf, but it also stops others easily knocking it on you.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Mhmm. People vs Pacman that havent read the patch notes or don't pay attention to pacman might try to knock it away without success, causing you to get a free punish.

Basically it's more of a shield.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Mhmm. People vs Pacman that havent read the patch notes or don't pay attention to pacman might try to knock it away without success, causing you to get a free punish.

Basically it's more of a shield.
True, I just wish they buffed him directly.

Top Bottom