• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It seems that Wolf dominates Pikachu. Any tips?

Klasens1

Smash Rookie
When I play against Wolf his range just dominates my groundplay. Also when i try to do aerials if i miss he can capitilize far better then i can. I just do know how to fight him. If anyone has matches against Wolf that they have won I would like to see them.

If anyone has suggestions or tips please post.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Im pretty sure wolf is one of the characters pikachu can chain throw the poop out of.

Grab. downthrow. Grab.downthrow....

Ammeren

Smash Apprentice
-Chain throw him with your down throw to high 40%s and finish it off with an up smash or down smash or whatever.

-You have to spot dodge his forward smash, predict it then punish with a down smash

-Short hop your thunders, so when he manages to reflect - it doesn't hit you >.<

-Harass him when he is off the ledge, I found thundering off the ledge doesn't really work with him, forward air or up air seems to be better to force him into a position. If you jump off and scare him, but then quick attack to the edge instead, he might just kill himself =)

These are some of the things I have to use against wolf players, I still have problems with his **** blaster though(can't counter with thunderjolt cause of the reflect) =(

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
use aerial thunder jolts. Thunder jolt while he is blasting cause if he brings his reflector out he's got after lag to worry about. Jump over the reflected jolt and use an aerial on him. anything else you should do was mentioned before

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
use aerial thunder jolts. Thunder jolt while he is blasting cause if he brings his reflector out he's got after lag to worry about. Jump over the reflected jolt and use an aerial on him. anything else you should do was mentioned before
This is a big part of it that some people seem afraid to do. When a wolf tries blaster spamming, just shield -> jump -> thundershock. It interrupts his spamming, giving you some time to get your footing, and if you space it right, you'll have time to jump over your own thundershock should it get reflected.

Other than that, ammerman pretty much covered it.

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
Wolf can easily shine you out of your chaingrap. Just FYI, so watch out for it.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if you want to mess up his timing with reflecting out of it, mixin a couple fthrows early on, it can throw them off balance for a bit, though the fthrow doesnt work as long as the dthrow. in my personal experiences, pikahu actually seems to be the one that can dominate wolf.

soresu

Smash Rookie
Space your fairs so he can't shield grab you out of it. Since the fair lasts for such a long time, you can DI in and out of his shield as the fair is occurring (if that makes sense). If he goes for the grab, he'll miss and you can land/punish with a grab of your own, land dsmash, or just fair again.

Once the wolf gets used to this, he's going to start fsmashing out of his shield. Now what you gotta do is pretend like you're going to fair, dodge the fsmash, and then punish.

Jump + thunderjolts easily get past his blaster. I think your thunderjolts do more damage too so even if its a trade it's all good.

UPSMASH + THUNDER YEAAA

sblkbrn

Smash Cadet
I use my basic strategies and never have probs with level nine computers or human players.

Down A in a tight situation is a save. It'll toss him in the air away from you, from that a quick side B attack or sparks should be able to put you back in a match you seem to be losing. Take control with ledge grab b or ledge grab jump lightning. It will give you easy damage. Mid air dodge or side step dodge his attacks because they are not that hard to because of the ability to notice his attack before he has a chance to connect.

Side smash when he has enough damage and you should have a problem... if you do just practice a little more with your ground a ledge tactics, they always trick people or give you a better chance if you are good at them. Just dont do it too often.

Scylen

Smash Cadet
i try to play more defensively stay just out of blaster range. hit mercillessly with d-smash save f-smash for the kill

Rykard

Smash Ace
ok here are a few things i can tell you since i acctually do really well against wolf players with pikachu

first of all, both methods of chain grab work well on him (f throw and down throw). i prefer to mix them up so they have to react differently.

while it is true that he can shine out of it, the shine also has a lot of afterlag meaning that if you shield it, you can get another grab in. so extremenerd, , it is still effective

one of the best stages to play wolf on is battle field since the platforms allow you to use pikas thunder jolt more effectively and it prevents the laser spam from being as effective

also frigate orpheon works well since the ledges arent exactly grabbable in some places

wolf also has a fairly easily gimped recovery. try to get him off the edge in a place where he will be forced to use his up b straight up and then edge hog. i have a bunch of vids on my Wii that are saved of me playing a wolf however i cannot upload them

hopefully this helps

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
CG works on Wolf till 100% before he can escape. Just make sure to start at lower percents so the move can stale and have less knockback.
Sorry buddy I don't think that seems to work. If any of the Star Animals know that they have to use the reflector to escape that at low percentages, they'll escape it at around 35%. My videos are sure proof of that. Unless I don't know how to chain grab 0_o

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I have to agree. wolf's i know can get out by reflector at about 34 when i am using the dthrow. if you mix in some fthrows though, it can keep them off balance and they can lose their timing.

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree. wolf's i know can get out by reflector at about 34 when i am using the dthrow. if you mix in some fthrows though, it can keep them off balance and they can lose their timing.
To tell you the truth never thought about that. I'll have to get some practice in timing some Chain grab front throws, especially to the WFC lag :-

Robostrike

Smash Cadet
Notes on Space Animals for Pika Users:
- Stay low, blasters can't hit you.
- They have reflector so they can reflect Thunder to hit you. To Overcome this: jump and while gliding left or right, Thunder so even if they reflect, it won't hit you.
- Down A with jump thunder, best way to screw their mobility in the air (only do this when they are high in the air).
- While they are away from the field, just thundershock them so that way they have to make effective use of their timing skills to get back on the ledge. If not then they get stunned and fall down and die.
- Use BAir when they are flying because they have low horizontal displacement when flying, they tend to jump high but have really predictable landing zone.
- When not blasting neutral B, use thundershock, stuns them from doing smash attacks or cancels their smash attack
End of Space Animal notes.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
One good thing about Pikachu is that he is really fast. Work that against wolf. I will admit though that wolf has some advantages against pikachu. Shield grabs ussually works for me though.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Sorry buddy I don't think that seems to work. If any of the Star Animals know that they have to use the reflector to escape that at low percentages, they'll escape it at around 35%. My videos are sure proof of that. Unless I don't know how to chain grab 0_o
Just something to consider, chain grabbing is a little bit more difficult online. The Wolf can just be spamming downB the whole time, yet you have to compensate for lag and attempt to anticipate when you can grab again after you dthrow. If Wolf's reflector is anything like Fox's in melee (meaning it comes out in one frame), even just a minuscule lag spike is enough to give him the opportunity to get out of the chain grab.

I think chain grabbing is better left to testing offline.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Just something to consider, chain grabbing is a little bit more difficult online. The Wolf can just be spamming downB the whole time, yet you have to compensate for lag and attempt to anticipate when you can grab again after you dthrow. If Wolf's reflector is anything like Fox's in melee (meaning it comes out in one frame), even just a minuscule lag spike is enough to give him the opportunity to get out of the chain grab.

I think chain grabbing is better left to testing offline.
There are a few frames of delay with his reflector. If you chain grab a Wolf who is trying to reflect out, you will sometimes see a brief purple flash but you still grab him. This is when he almost gets you. When it comes to online, it generally isnt that much more difficult to chain grab. Now Wolf may get out a bit earlier, but on the same token he may have a lot harder time reflecting you out of it.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
There are a few frames of delay with his reflector. If you chain grab a Wolf who is trying to reflect out, you will sometimes see a brief purple flash but you still grab him. This is when he almost gets you. When it comes to online, it generally isnt that much more difficult to chain grab. Now Wolf may get out a bit earlier, but on the same token he may have a lot harder time reflecting you out of it.
You're probably right with wolf. Guess I'm speaking from a more general premise of chain grabbing. Dthrow chain-grab is easy since you don't have to compensate for DI or even move at all. I have the hardest time netting fthrow chain-grabs online because of the lag though, since they're a bit more involved.

I think though I'd be more inclined to believe Wolf can shine out of the chaingrab so early if it were tested offline in a vs match.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
One thing thats important is to scare them away from using f-smash. Basically, if they start spamming it while your on the ground, shield and grab. If they push you too far away to grab, shield -> fsmash.

Top Bottom