• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

isn't this community about respect? why aren't low tier mainers respected?

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so lets face it... after all this time of boiling I have decided to speak out... People who try to main characters that are not the higest tier deserve the same respect as people who main MK, snake, etc... Lets Face it folks... If we all went by that poor notion, then how could communities like say, Wario's advance? If someone wins 3 tournaments with Mario, wouldn't that make him even more respectable... So recently I have been playing smash with some people who will remain unnamed, and they spent the whole time playing insulting any character that wasn't what they played... Mind you these guys are "pros" so I do belive in respecting their opinions, but at the same time they sit there and bash everyone I knew who I played smash with... I thought this community was respectful and close-knit, but I was wrong with some individuals... when you are my age, you tend to expect that other people your age or older will act with maturity and decency, but that somehow ends up never being the case. I respect everyone until they have disrespected me, then I get a little upset (not going to lie). This could go on to be a rant but the real question is this... "Why would you not respect someone for their character choices?" and "When is it ok to insult an entire state (MA) community?" I think never... and as for the people who are un-named.. it will remain quiet if you don't bother to act as belligerent and offensive as last time this was mentioned... I want honest opinions here... Am I over-reacting or should I be insulted?

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
hmm, luvr what happened here? I would ask who but I guess that would ruin the point... but I kinda do have to agree that it's bull**** that anyone would treat you like that just because you use lower - end characters.. I have always found that to be distasteful... as for whoever it was insulting MA players... HAHAHAHAHAHA dont make me laugh... please if they came up here and actually faced come of us they wouldn't be so egotisical... I mean we have had some legends come from this state, both in Melee and in Brawl... you yourself werent bad at all... what happened man? don't tell me you did what you did when I first met ya.... lol did u even try? haha wow...

plus...

bet you the guy was soooo important... unless it was m2k i prolly never even heard of him

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
cant say his name out of respect but you prolly never heard of him, I didn't honestly.. than again I have only been here for a little while.. Oh lol I used a lot of my characters, I just played that goofy style that I tried in MM14... lol and BTW I used Yoshi... lmao... I decided not to really apply my metaknight and my game n watch has been out of practice for quite some time... granted like I always do I "Played Noob"... I love when people dont know who I really am... but anyways ANYBODY ELSE HAVE OPINIONS ON THIS MATTER?

on thing is for sure however: the NJ players I have met have been very impatient... not all of them, but the ones I'm referring to here so yeah

EVERYONE ELSE WANNA ADD SOMETHING...? I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN...

DDM

Smash Journeyman
I can't speak for everyone, but I know I respect the he11 out of people who main mid-to-low-tier characters (my main being mid-tier as well). I mean, I know if I saw a Link main take (just as an example) M2K to the limit, I'd just be baffled. I think if the thread doesn't get locked you'll see a lot of people agree.

I'm going to guess you're a Game & Watch guy, by the image next to your name. You keep plugging with Mr. G&W. Don't back down from anybody. If you lose, learn from it, and be ready to go next time.

And as a Massachusetts player, I can't say much because I don't represent MA too well in terms of Brawl, but a guy I grew up with was a pretty nasty Link in Melee. Never went to a tournament that I know of, but... yeah. I'm done now.

EDIT: Well, G&W is high-tier... Ah, OK. It was Yoshi you were using. Yeah, Yoshi has a pretty steep climb trying to take down some of the higher characters, but hey. If you like him, keep at it.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
Wow, another MA player eh? I used to live there and I'm having a hard time finding friends here..... as for your comment... I actually main many different characters... G&W is one of my higher tiers, but I also main LINK... yeah LINK... I love him... I like his moves, I like the challenge of his horrible recovery.. its worth it to pull off some well practiced techs on an unsuspecting high tier player... I mean I usually dont play super hard when I first meet someone because I want to make sure we can be friends and such... Im way too modest for my own good and like I said before I "play noob" almost every time I meet someone... I am so glad other people feel as strongly as me

When I went to this kid's house he made fun of me so much for even thinking of using Link, that I didn't even use him... sad I know but we barely played any 1v1's it was all teams and brawl +, which is never really my scene I'm a 1v1 kind of guy unless I'm with people I have played with before... just not a team kind of guy lol

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
They're scared of another fow incident.But seriously ppl that main high tier characters are scared of low tier characters because if they loose to one it blows thier little world up.I beat my friends rob with captian falcon and he went in the other room and started cussing.I'm not saying every person is like that they have to have good sportsmanship and not undermind anyone they face.Only people with bad sportsmanship disrespect other players tbh.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
yeah, agreed... Thank God there are so many other smasher who have class and sophistication... When I moved from MA I thought the NJ players would be just as nice... most of them are I guess you just find these people everywhere you go... which makes it annoying is that he is state power ranked to boot... kind of annoying that he would be insulting someone whom he has no clue about.... I keep telling everyone that this name is a diguise for my real tag and nobody except my girlfriend knows who i really am... whats funny is that if i had applied myself full force, like what you said before.. "Their little worlds crumble down" I like that saying. They are so narrow minded that they dont realize that some of us just want to have fun + having those goals and dreams...

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
I can honestly say I've never seen anyone complain about a low tier main. When I play with my friends, I get crap for using BETTER characters, and I get sandbagged against when I use lower tiered characters. I mean, I don't mind, it's just no one has faith in low tiers, and I can't say I blame them. Yes, you may be made fun of, doubted, and maybe even sh*tted on for using a "sucky" character, but I haven't seen that outside of friendly trash talk.

I feel as though that most people in our Brawl community are respectable people, and they're fun to hang around. But, if someone bags on you because you're not MK or Snake, then......GTFO.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
thanks, im about to go to work, so im gunna let you guys talk this one out... I appreciate all responses and Really do Like what i see... most of this community can be respectable people... it gives me faith in this community and Im grateful and feel respected

TP

Smash Master
You know what you have to do when people disrespect you for your character? Beat them in a tourney set. I did that with Ganon, and the guy yelled "GODDAMMIT" and threw his controller at the floor. Good times.

:034:

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
hahaha I love where this thread is going... and couldn't agree with all of you more... LOL beating a tourney with Ganon is awesome keep up the good work... :-p

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
You know what you have to do when people disrespect you for your character? Beat them in a tourney set. I did that with Ganon, and the guy yelled "GODDAMMIT" and threw his controller at the floor. Good times.

:034:
lmao speaking about gannon **** recently my friend 3-0ed a marth with gannon.I'm gona sig that its hilarious.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
FOW denied everything that makes sense of being a top player because hes a young kid who got 4th place in a regional/national tournament with Ness (and even took a match off the best falco which is also Ness's worst matchup)

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
Yeh FOW is a amazing ness player.So many people joned the topic that was talking about him.

BSP

Smash Legend
Keep maining whoever you want. They have no right to disrespect your character.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why should I respect any worthless scrub that mains a low tier? Seems like a waste of talent that could be better spent on a better character, not someone awful like Mario or Ness.

REL38

Smash Lord
To me, it's the player's skill that matters. I could be wasted by someone's amazing Jigglypuff and I would respect the player, not the character. If I get destroyed by someone's awesome Diddy Kong, then I would respect the player, not the character.

It boils down to how you percieve the Tier List in relation to the player. I main Kirby. So in the last tier list, I felt pretty good about myself for playing with a mid-tier character, but with the recent tier list out I've felt just about the same. Kirby is up there now, but it only helps fortify my belief that I have a better chance at a tourney than someone maining Falcon.

Every character has their limitations and draw backs so that must be considered when choosing a main. A player who owns with a Mario will get the same respect from me that I would give a player who owns with Snake. The respect I give is in relation to the player's skill, not their character.

If I were to place my respect on a scrub who mains Metaknight, then I'm missing the entire point of the Tier List and a player's skill.

Corigames

Smash Hero
People who try to main characters that are not the higest tier deserve the same respect as people who main MK, snake, etc...
Agreed. We are all players and should be compared on the most even platforms possible.

Lets Face it folks... If we all went by that poor notion, then how could communities like say, Wario's advance?
Out of spite of the high tiers and the players who use them?

If someone wins 3 [good] tournaments with Mario, wouldn't that make him even more respectable...
No. He should be AS respected as anyone else who wins 3 tournaments and not for the character he chooses. If you discriminate for low tiers then you are doing nothing different from higher tier people just in an inverse fashion.

and they spent the whole time playing insulting any character that wasn't what they played...
Sounds like they were having fun...? :/
Do it too?
Mind you these guys are "pros" so I do belive in respecting their opinions
When you say pro, you better mean if you throw their name out we WOULD know it...

but at the same time they sit there and bash everyone I knew who I played smash with...
Just sounds like they are competitive, what does that have to do with tiers? Just tell them to stop being *******s. I don't care how good you are, if you are ruining the game for other people then you need to shut up.

I thought this community was respectful and close-knit, but I was wrong with some individuals...
You aren't forced to be respectful when playing smash. It's not like a requirement to play the game. We are fairly nice people, and that's weird coming from me, but some of us stretch that.

when you are my age, you tend to expect that other people your age or older will act with maturity and decency, but that somehow ends up never being the case.
Then think with maturity and learn from your mistakes...

Tamoo

Smash Master
I respect smashers for what they achieve, not for which character they use,
I would give the same amount of respect for sumone who wins a tournament with Diddy Kong, or with Samus

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Does this mean we should respect the people who switch to Meta Knightmare after losing a match?

I try to respect everyone, regardless of their main. I think that's what's right. Honestly, though, I don't remeber many instances of character-specific disrespect.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
You should of picked a low-tier character and three stocked him, but anyway disrespecting someone for picking a low-tier character is dumb.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If someone beats top pros consistently with CF, of course they deserve a pat on the back, even moreso than an MK or Snake player. Why? Because they won with a handicap.

Should you feel "disrespected" if someone bashes your character? Probably not...since the character obviously sucks pretty bad if they're low tier. If you believe different, prove them wrong. I personally feel disrespected if people sympathize with me performing poorly by saying things along the lines of "You nearly beat him with MARIO"; mainly because I personally believe Mario is a GOOD character. If my actions don't reflect that, I don't want special treatment.

It's simple, really...If you main a low tier character, you're a cripple running with gold medalists. If you win? Great job, you beat the odds. If you lose, don't expect to be regarded any differently; you shouldn't have been in the race in the first place with such a huge handicap.

Different people play different characters for different reasons. Everyone who plays Smash isn't you.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
This community is also about proof of worth. Everyone should respect one another, but we shouldn't be above calling out others if they need to improve their skills, regardless of what character they take.

I respect everyone as people, and as players. Recognition of winning matches with lower tier'd characters, however, will never be forgotten.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
This community is also about proof of worth. Everyone should respect one another, but we shouldn't be above calling out others if they need to improve their skills, regardless of what character they take.

I respect everyone as people, and as players. Recognition of winning matches with lower tier'd characters, however, will never be forgotten.
This is the truth. Good philosophy.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate the varied responses... I am seeing a common pattern of respect... yeah it may not be a requirement for the competitive world of smash to be nice and pleasant, but who the hell wants to play with a ******* ***** who constantly puts everyone down? I guess it comes down to preference mostly... But like a religion, people shouldn't be insulted and put down for their views or beliefs... thats a standard moral code its not that difficult to understand... This is an ethical topic directly related to the use of lower tier characters... and for clarification yeah the names would be known but again I am respectful and will not point fingers... as for "pro" I'm aware of what "pro" means and yes you would know who it is... but again lips sealed in that regard... But I was appreciative of the statements saying that skill is based on players and not characters... thats kind of the point I was trying to make and I'm glad you fellow smashers agree... please continue to post your feelings on this thread... I'm sure if the people I'm talking about see this, the thread will heat up... lol... lets hope that doesnt happen

Kuraudo that was an excellent remark... :)

Sieguest

Smash Master

^This...is truth...live it and learn it brothers and sisters...

Anyway! I always think that some people just haven't learned the difference between bashing and criticism. I'm all for criticism...it's how I get better...but some people just don't see the line between being constructive and being just mean...I think that would make smash a lot better...
but...we live in a imperfect world...and sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think we could ever reach the ideal of respect for everyone who plays the game...

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
FALCON PUNCH!!!!!!!

Atleast Falcon was respected enough to rise a bit. And I agree with Choknater. That's the reason high-tiers are respected.

Benny The Jet Rodriguez

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna skip reading the OP and say it's because winning is respected more than losing with a bad character. Low tier mainers ARE respected, but they have to win just like everybody else.

Beta Knight

Smash Cadet
LuVr you have it backwards, it is the high tier characters who don't get respect.

One time I was playing against a kid's yoshi with my meta knight we played about 5 matches and honestly he was very good. I won 4/5 matches and every time I won he said "Well I'm using yoshi so I really don't have a chance against your top tier meta knight." Then when he finally won 1 game he was like "HAHA OH MY GOD YOU LOST TO A YOSHI??? WOW" Even though the match up for Yoshi and Meta knight is nearly even

Now I'm not saying all low tier users are like this I'm just saying high tier characters are seen as cheap or "broken" characters and don't get respect. I think people should just main characters by which ever they like best, not by tier placement.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
LuVr you have it backwards, it is the high tier characters who don't get respect.

One time I was playing against a kid's yoshi with my meta knight we played about 5 matches and honestly he was very good. I won 4/5 matches and every time I won he said "Well I'm using yoshi so I really don't have a chance against your top tier meta knight." Then when he finally won 1 game he was like "HAHA OH MY GOD YOU LOST TO A YOSHI??? WOW" Even though the match up for Yoshi and Meta knight is nearly even

Now I'm not saying all low tier users are like this I'm just saying high tier characters are seen as cheap or "broken" characters and don't get respect. I think people should just main characters by which ever they like best, not by tier placement.

I kinda agree with this, though there seems to be an advantage in using a top tier character it still depends on good player skill. You may of had the advantage over the yoshi but the character is only as good as the player.

Top Bottom