• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isabelle Joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Isabelle_Smash_Ultimate.jpg

Just a few hours ago, Nintendo confirmed that Isabelle from Animal Crossing is turning over a new leaf as a fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She was previously an Assist Trophy (AT) in Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U but has been upgraded for Ultimate, making her the second AT upgrade after Dark Samus.

She is a semi-clone, having borrowed moves from Villager along with unique moves of her own like the water bucket, and has been labeled Fighter #68 in the Fighter section on the Ultimate website. Fans will get a chance to play as her on December 7th.

Tom Nook also appeared at the end to lead into the Animal Crossing 2019 announcement. He will appear in Ultimate as Villager's Final Smash.

Are you looking forward to play as Isabelle? Who else are you hoping makes it into Ultimate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

D
There's no question in the slightest that Isabelle originally started as a Villager echo.
It depends on how much she shares with Villager. We still need to see her entire move set first.

Though if that is the case, I wonder how this would affect development and how potential echoes Sakurai sacrificed in the process to make her the way she is.

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue with Isabelle is not that I wanted any particular character more--I mean, I did, but that's not my issue. The problem is that I just wanted someone more interesting. I didn't have any attachment to or prior interest in Simon, for example, but when I saw him I thought "oh, he's kinda cool. Unique weapon, interesting playstyle, and he brings a whole new franchise into the fold. Good deal all around." It helped that K. Rool was shown after as well, but even if Simon had been it, at least it would still have felt satisfying.

Isabelle is basically a slightly different Villager. Much like many semi-clones, there's not much weight to her announcement. And yes, I may have gotten a bit too hyped up, but really, that would not have happened had Sakurai not been injecting hot liquid hype into our veins since Ultimate was announced. You can hardly blame me for expecting a megaton when there's been nothing but expectation-shattering reveals so far. I don't mind that she's there, and I'm not going to start spewing the tired "slots" or "deserving" arguments against her, but revealing Isabelle, as a semi-clone, on her own, after freaking K. Rool no less, is like throwing ice water on a raging inferno. I'm not sure when a better time would've been...but not then, man.

Granted, I'm sure there are many people this IS a megaton for. That seems to be the case anywhere that isn't Smashboards. And that's fine. But that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed, or show my dissatisfaction with a character reveal (not the character herself, though I'm pretty hard neutral on her anyway.) That also doesn't make me petty, or only hating on a character because my own wasn't shown. I'm bummed, simply because I find this particular reveal uninteresting in this situation.

At least now my hype is dead, lol. Maybe that was the whole point--cooling off the fanboy fire. That could either mean the rest of the reveals are similarly lukewarm, or it was done to throw us off a super-megaton later. I think I'll be safer assuming the former...
I kind of understand some of your points here, but I feel like there is some irony in you arguing that semi clones are not that interesting and then claiming that KRool was a good reveal all around. From what I see, KRool has a ganon/bowser fair as a bair, a diddy/inkling fair or bowser bair as a fair, a king dedede nair, a doc/ganon dair, a boomerang, and a helicopter recovery similar to villagers or duck hunts. Of course there are unique things about him, but they are not ground breaking by any means, much like Isabelle. It isn't like I disagree with KRool being a good reveal, but its not because he is a completely unique fighter. Smash 4 was all about unique fighters being newcomers but I wasn't nearly as excited for WiiFit as I am with KRool, even if she is unique. I just don't think that a character's ability to stand out is always a good thing, and that for this game, popularity should determine if a character gets in or not, and I don't have doubts that Isabelle is popular - of course I have no proof of this in terms of the smash ballot.

Of course you can show your disatisfaction with a character reveal, but only if that stays in a subjective basis and you aren't trying to claim something objectively. You said it yourself that Isabelle's reveal may be a megaton for many people, so trying to claim that this watered down the hype from KRool who could very well be a disappointment for many people is not a solid argument. Go ahead and spread your opinions, you are free to do that, but opinions are not welcome in a objective discussion. Without proof of her popularity, I can't determine how good of a character choice she is in regards to the intentions of this game's roster, I'm just asking for others to not determine that without evidence.

I apologize if I sound mean lol my goal is to ultimately stop any objective hate, and I even struggle to get rid of my personal bias when forming arguments

Isabelle really didn't make sense to be a Echo to me. She's a different height than the current representation of Villager in Smash. I feel like that alone would have made her not an Echo kind of like Young Link or Pichu.

Isabelle isn't a huge surprise but she kind of means something to me. Around the time New Leaf came out my dog with the same name passed away. And it was such a strange coincidence that when I played New Leaf the assistant dog was named Isabelle. Just an odd little connection that made me enjoy her character. I'm happy that she made it in Smash.

D
Happy Isabelle, got in Animal Crossing fans deserve it. Animal Crossing is coming to Nintendo Switch as well great!

I saw one fan theory that Isabelle was originally slated to be a Villager echo but was promoted last minute and made a last minute trailer feature to replace a potentially more controversial one that was supposed to appear last week and she was just supposed to be the featured echo.

Of course fan theories are complete bull**** so there’s that...
Yeah not buying that. Isabelle's moveset being revamped in a week. And mind you the game should already be finished by now anyway

So many cry babies about this character reveal. How can you hate Isabelle?

I hate cute, non-fight-worthy character in this.

It dilutes the image.
Not sure if serious but...

Some people probably thought the same thing seeing Pikachu, Kirby, Yoshi, Ness, Jigglypuff, Peach, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Mr Game and Watch, Lucas, Squirtle, Olimar, ROB, Toon Link, Villager, Mii Fighters, Rosalina, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt. That they “diluted the image” for being cute, non-fight-worthy, or a combination of both but here they are - laying the smack down on the likes of Ridley, Bayonetta (bad Bayonetta players), Bowser, Ganondorf, and other General bad asses.

So no, I don’t consider cuteness or non-fight-worthiness to be a factor when deciding which character gets it or not. Maybe during Brawl but things have changed in roster speculation back then.

Last edited:
It's interesting how the Smash Ultimate Direct in August got everyone hyped and super hopeful since we got Simon and Richter, not to mention K. Rool. Most of us probably just assumed that the reveals would be bigger and better. In contrast, Isabelle's reveal trailer was fairly drawn out and underwhelming (although I think it was done that way to keep AC fans in suspense, and it worked, for better and worse). For that matter, I've never really seen her name thrown around much when it comes to fan polls, with the likes of Geno, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, and others being far more popularly discussed.

As an AC fan, I'm happy that Isabelle got in- and as a unique fighter too- even if she wasn't on my wishlist. I can see why others are disappointed by her reveal, to be sure- but hating on Isabelle and/or her fans is taking that disappointment too far.

I think her d-smash (the water bucket) represents the amount of salty tears in this thread lol.

People are being toxic about this and saying Japan deserved the earthquake, how rude. Isabelle is cute she deserves to be in smash, just because she's there doesn't mean your most want isn't coming, i wanted Bandana Waddle Dee but eh it's better for him to be revealed in a smash direct next month !

Not sure if serious but...

Some people probably thought the same thing seeing Pikachu, Kirby, Yoshi, Ness, Jigglypuff, Peach, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Mr Game and Watch, Lucas, Squirtle, Olimar, ROB, Toon Link, Villager, Mii Fighters, Rosalina, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt. That they “diluted the image” for being cute, non-fight-worthy, or a combination of both but here they are - laying the smack down on the likes of Ridley, Bayonetta (bad Bayonetta players), Bowser, Ganondorf, and other General bad *****.

So no, I don’t consider cuteness or non-fight-worthiness to be a factor when deciding which character gets it or not. Maybe during Brawl but things have changed in roster speculation back then.
At the very least, those character proved that they can(could) fight in some form of matter.

Isabelle hasn't!

Yeah dude you're absolutely right!

:ultsimon::ultsnake::ultkrool::ultridley::ultwolf::ultridley::ultinkling::ulticeclimbers::ultchrom:
Really tho? How can you determine which characters are popular and which are not? Some fan poll that included a select 1000 people? Do you understand that 3DS and WiiU smash 4 combined sold 14.5 million copies? I think there is a lot of people there unaccounted for.

It's almost like not everyone likes the same things or something huh?
I'm not saying you can't like/dislike different things. But if I see someone wine about something like a child, I just might say something. There are characters in smash I don't like such as Cloud for example. Despite not liking Cloud, I never went around making up conspiracy theories discrediting Sakurai and his decision to include Isabelle because I'm butthurt that the character I was hoping for wasn't revealed. Not to mention there are people blaming the delay as the reason for a lackluster direct which is beyond ignorant.

Point is the character slot way of thinking is flawed. It doesn't work that way and Isabelle isn't taking up space for another character. We don't know the final roster yet so why throw a temper tantrum because so and so wasn't revealed?

Last edited:
Really tho? How can you determine which characters are popular and which are not? Some fan poll that included a select 1000 people? Do you understand that 3DS and WiiU smash 4 combined sold 14.5 million copies? I think there is a lot of people there unaccounted for.
I don't know; I've only seen people begging online for Geno and Isaac for like a decade, and Bandana Dee and Dixie more or less the same.

And the unaccounted people don't even care what characters are in the game at this point; we have more than enough.

The real question is weather or not this has increased the chance of other assist trophies such as Shadow, Skull Kid, and Isaac are getting in, or that they only had enough room for a few assist trophies, and they chose Isabell and Dark Samus, and that’s why they don’t have Shadow, Issac, or Skull Kid. I personally believe that none of the above are getting in, and that of all of the choices for new assist trophy fighter, they only chose Dark Samus and Isabelle. I believe that the only characters getting in now are Geno, Incinaroar, and Ken as an echo from Ryu

D
I am really glad the cinnamon roll has made it into Smash.

Th-that's not "fighting!" That just doing random crap while making collision with others! I want a real combatant!

Also, I meant in past history and history!
It’s a different style of fighting reflective of the peaceful world of Animal Crossing where things to make collisions with are plentiful.

Yeah, we are a few short in combatant characters. Never mind a space dragon forged in countless massacre campaigns that has left countless worlds devoid of life. And a crocodile king who is power hungry and slightly mad that commands undying loyalty to his minions in an effort to steal monkey’s bananas....also has some training as a boxer, science, and pirateering.

Plus, two vampire hunters from a legendary clan who risk life and limb to rid the world of otherworldly creatures. Plus, we had a hero who is actually no idle layabout and has saved the world. And a creature made of pure poison which has taken the form of Samus, a legendary combatant. In addition, we have near-humanoid squid like people who go head to head in death matches.

So yeah, I think we are short combatants to justify not adding a dog who can help run a dimwit mayor who has no idea how to run a town and is constantly either smashing or camping instead of mayoring.

And while this was all done tongue-in-cheek and not entirely serious about it; an important question can be brought up about non-combative characters like Isabelle, Duck Hunt, and such being in Smash. I whole heartedly agree they deserve to be in Smash to prove thier worth. That’s the interesting thing about adding those sort of characters.

Last edited:
D
Also, I meant in past history and history!
Ergo, the ones you referred to as having "proven themselves" are not applicable to your demand, and you are providing them with an exception of your own rules to make it seem like Isabelle is the only character in the game to lack any combative past.

Mr. G&W is an amalgamation of several non-violent video games that barely feature combat.
Duck Hunt dog's only actions in his original game were to scare the ducks, pick them up if you shot them, and laugh at you if you failed.
Villager never fights anyone. Ever. Hell, Isabelle shows more fitness than they do by boxing for her daily exercise.
ROB moves blocks and looks at flashing lights, and any combat situation he's been in have been cameos at best, or a Smash appearance.

You are free to dislike Isabelle all you want, but your argument fails on the basis that she is NOT the only non-combat character to make an appearance. She fits in just as well as previous cast members have, and that's really all there is to it.

Just a few hours ago, Nintendo confirmed that Isabelle from Animal Crossing is turning over a new leaf as a fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She was previously an Assist Trophy (AT) in Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U but has been upgraded for Ultimate, making her the second AT upgrade after Dark Samus.

She is a semi-clone, having borrowed moves from Villager along with unique moves of her own like the water bucket, and has been labeled Fighter #68 in the Fighter section on the Ultimate website. Fans will get a chance to play as her on December 7th.

Tom Nook also appeared at the end to lead into the Animal Crossing 2019 announcement. He will appear in Ultimate as Villager's Final Smash.

Are you looking forward to play as Isabelle? Who else are you hoping makes it into Ultimate?
In Smash 4 I played a lot of villager, So I didn’t think she get in because I “knew” she wouldn’t work as an echo but she is a new fighter. I do know she shares the pocket move. I’m gonna give her a shot

Top Bottom