• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac (Golden Sun) in SSBB thread

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Woah, I can't see the image O_o

Anyway, I found this pic, that I think would be pretty great for the web:

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that pic's great... But seems we'll have to wait until Dec. 31 (0k, just kidding xDu)

Arteen

Smash Lord
After all, GS is hardly one of Nintendo's big franchises - hell, it's not even had a console game yet.
I hope that the development team doesn't consider the series less important because it's handheld-only. All the main-series Pokemon games are exclusively handheld, Mother 3 is handheld, the first Kirby games were handheld, and handhelds have been extremely important to Nintendo since they released the Game Boy. I hope the lack of a console game isn't an issue.

But yeah, as Ruby said, have some faith. I'm certain that GS will get *some* representation in Brawl - just not exactly about what kind of representation (playable character, items, ATs, etc.)
...stickers. :(

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by EPX2
After all, GS is hardly one of Nintendo's big franchises - hell, it's not even had a console game yet.
What point exactly were you trying to make by stating that? Just because a series is only on a handheld doesn't make it any less valid than those who were presented on a console.

I mean it's almost like your saying, Superman 64 > Golden Sun because Superman was on a console, that's obviously not the case.

The Golden Sun series is on of the most notable and respectable RPG's in Nintendo's history;it would be nice to show appreciation to the series by adding Issac into Brawl.

-Knight

WindSquirrel

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty good fanart! (Though his hair is a bit short)

Vlad, huh? I'm guessing that it's French?

EPX2

Smash Ace
I hope that the development team doesn't consider the series less important because it's handheld-only. All the main-series Pokemon games are exclusively handheld, Mother 3 is handheld, the first Kirby games were handheld, and handhelds have been extremely important to Nintendo since they released the Game Boy. I hope the lack of a console game isn't an issue.

...stickers. :(
It's not so much that it's "less important" as it is that because it's a handheld-exclusive series, it caters to even more of a niche audience than it would if it were released for a console.

The thing with Pokemon is that it has an extremely popular anime to accompany the games, so it's only to be expected that as a video game franchise, it's going to be pretty successful, regardless of what platform the games are released on.

Mother 3 is handheld, yes, but as with GS, it's more a "cult favorite" than it is a a hugely popular game. Your Kirby example isn't really useful to use here since my entire point was that there hasn't been a GS game released for a console at all; Kirby had already hit consoles by the time the original SSB was released, let alone Brawl.

What point exactly were you trying to make by stating that? Just because a series is only on a handheld doesn't make it any less valid than those who were presented on a console.

I mean it's almost like your saying, Superman 64 > Golden Sun because Superman was on a console, that's obviously not the case.

The Golden Sun series is on of the most notable and respectable RPG's in Nintendo's history;it would be nice to show appreciation to the series by adding Issac into Brawl.

-Knight
... way to read into my post way too much. I'm not making any insinuations about the quality of the franchise or in anyway trying to discredit it (so your Superman 64 comparison is not applicable here), I'm merely saying that the fact that GS games have only appeared on portable systems - among other factors - means that it's probably not going to appeal as much to the casual gaming audience as it would were it ever to appear on a console. I don't think it's outlandish to assume that console games are generally going to be more attractive to casual gamers than handheld games.

I think the two of you are getting the wrong impression - I didn't say what I said to suggest that GS has less of a chance of receiving a playable representative than say, Pikmin, for example, because it's not ever had a game on the console. That was just a passing comment meant to emphasize that GS isn't really a major franchise.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I heard a while ago that they were making a Golden Sun for the DS. Anyone confirm/deconfirm this? (Relevancy; I think nowadays, how Nintendo's been toting the DS, that it counts equally favorable as a console - it's a handheld sure, but as far as casual gaming goes, so far I think the DS is one of Nintendo's most casual systems out there; the Wii being the obvious #1 casual)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Oh well, now at least we know a Golden Sun III is possible. We just need Isaac playable in Brawl... Please?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
... way to read into my post way too much. I'm not making any insinuationsabout the quality of the franchise or in anyway trying to discredit it (so your Superman 64 comparison is not applicable here), I'm merely saying that the fact that GS games have only appeared on portable systems - among other factors - means that it's probably not going to appeal as much to the casual gaming audience as it would were it ever to appear on a console. I don't think it's outlandish to assume that console games are generally going to be more attractive to casual gamers than handheld games.

The way you worded it was misleading.

I think the two of you are getting the wrong impression - I didn't say what I said to suggest that GS has less of a chance of receiving a playable representative than say, Pikmin, for example, because it's not ever had a game on the console. That was just a passing comment meant to emphasize that GS isn't really a major franchise.
Oh, ok I'm sorry I mislead the true point you were trying to get across because you used misleading words beforehand.

-Knight

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
On the Wikipedia article it says that both Nintendo and Camelot want to make a third installment to the series... They just want to give it the development time it deserves.

What better hype than Isaac in Brawl? If he made it in, people would learn to like him, thus making his games more popular, thus making Golden Sun 3 more wanted, thus making it more of a possibility!

It's like a chain effect or something...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Fortunately that's not just a Wikipedia rumor. It's what they really said.

I can't really see it as raising Isaac's chance for some reason though. They said they aren't even making it. :(

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
About Golden Sun 3:

"¡Tenemos que hacerlo! No solamente porque nos lo hayan pedido, sino, porque queremos hacerlo. Nintendo nos ha pedido por favor hacerlo."

"We've got to make it! Not only because we were asked to, but also because we want to. Nintendo has asked to please make it."

I can see that raising Isaac chances... That means Golden Sun has not passed by without drawing Nintendo's attention.

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
And for us who have actually played Golden Sun, we know why.

Edit: Another Spanish speaker ftw!

I'm trilingual, by the way.
In spanish, in fact :p I live in southern Spain. But I also like english a lot, so I'm gonna study english phylology at university.

By the way, I actually could say I'm kinda trilingual, too... I can speak spanish, english and french (and latin and classic greek, too, but, eh, that doesn't count. And I would need a dictionary).

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
I wonder if Isaac is Bi/trilingual (trying to keep this on topic...)

I'm Hispanic, was born in Cuba and live in Miami now. I also speak French, my favorite language so far.

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Isaac is Bi/trilingual (trying to keep this on topic...)

I'm Hispanic, was born in Cuba and live in Miami now. I also speak French, my favorite language so far.
That's an interesting point. What's the language in Weyard...?

Wow, great beaches there. Lucky you : D

Arteen

Smash Lord
Here's the English interview where Camelot mentions Golden Sun 3, for those who missed it.

Hiroyuki Takahashi: First of all, I love that game and I love the world of Golden Sun. We think we have to make another one. We have to do it! Not just that we have to do it, but we want to do it. Nintendo has asked us to please make it. But at the same time we haven’t gotten around to making it. We’re not really sure why. (laughs)
I think that's pretty clear. :)

EPX2

Smash Ace
Oh, ok I'm sorry I mislead the true point you were trying to get across because you used misleading words beforehand.

-Knight
I said that it's reasonable to have some doubt as to whether or not GS will have a playable representative, citing the perception that it's not an extremely popular franchise and using the fact that it's never been on a console to support that observation. Nothing I said at all was misleading - if for whatever reason you thought I was saying "It's reasonable to expect that GS may not get a playable rep because it's never been on a console," that it is not my fault, as that's clearly not what I stated nor suggested.

Arteen

Smash Lord
...it's reasonable to have some doubt as to whether or not GS will have a playable representative, citing... that it's never been on a console....
"It's reasonable to expect that GS may not get a playable rep because it's never been on a console,"
These statements are essentially equivalent, disregarding semantics. Would you mind clarifying?

EPX2

Smash Ace
These statements are essentially equivalent, disregarding semantics. Would you mind clarifying?
They're only equivalent in that you left out a major part of the first statement, that being the part in which I said that the reason for me saying that it's reasonable to have doubts as to whether or not GS will contribute a playable rep to Brawl is because GS isn't a major franchise. Your altered version of that statement incorrectly attributes my reasoning for it as being that it's not ever appeared on a console, when that wasn't the point I was attempting to convey. The console statement, as I said before, was meant only to support my assertion of GS not being a major franchise.

Basically, it's like "A because B; B (somewhat) due to C" = my original message.
"A because C" = your interpretation.

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Well, if EPX2 has actually said he didn't mean that, why should there be an argument for something like that? He didn't mean it, and that's all that matter.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I'm sure Golden sun will be represented in some way, I just hope it's with a pc.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's okay. I think the text is sticking out a bit, though.

I really wish Isaac would be confirmed already. The "shoe-in" characters can wait!

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
Golden Sun 1 and 2 were great RPGs and two of my favorite games of all time. Isaac would be a great character and hopefully Golden Sun 3 will be made and be as great as the first two. Great Thread and its nice to see other Golden Sun supporters

Top Bottom