• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Issac's popularity is mainly in North America. It's pretty much dead in Japan, with Shulk filling in the position so to speak.
Isaac's support is not dead in Japan. He still gets requests, but he is not commonly requested like he used to be prior to be prior to Brawl.

Anyway, I am reposting this since it was at the bottom of the previous page, and I feel more Isaac fans need to read it:

I am just going to throw this out there to give some Isaac fans out there some more hope. On the Smash 4 poll to this site, Isaac is the fifth most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. On the poll that Shortie is circulating among various Smash Bros. communities, Isaac is the 6th most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. Overall, I believe in the Western fanbase Isaac is around the 5th/6th most wanted newcomer (basically on par with Little Mac for requests, but below the Big 4: Mewtwo, Ridley, Mega Man, K. Rool).

That Isaac's popularity has held up for so long despite the last really good game in the series being released a decade ago really shows the magic that two GBA games had, and the love and memories that people who played those games have to this day.

Its possible that Dark Dawn did bring in some new fans to the series, and while the the latest game was not a success on par with the GBA titles, it at least kept the series from falling into obscurity.

Right now, Camelot is making a new Mario Golf game for the 3DS (which is scheduled to be released later this year). Camelot already released a new Mario Tennis game last year.

Thw question is what will be their next project after this? I think they are too small now to make a Wii U title, and that can't go years without making any more new games.

One thing to keep in mind is that Virtual Console Game Boy Advance games will start to release later this year. The release of the two GBA Golden Sun games will serve to purposes to potentially help Isaac:
1. Bring in new fans to the series.
2. Show Camelot just how much interest there is in the series.

I am not sure if I remembering things correctly, but I think the decent sales of Sin & Punishment on the Virtual Console served as an impetus for Treasure to make Sin & Punishment 2.

So those are some bright spots for you Isaac supporters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I am just going to throw this out there to give some Isaac fans out there some more hope. On the Smash 4 poll to this site, Isaac is the fifth most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. On the poll that Shortie is circulating among various Smash Bros. communities, Isaac is the 6th most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. Overall, I believe in the Western fanbase Isaac is around the 5th/6th most wanted newcomer (basically on par with Little Mac for requests, but below the Big 4: Mewtwo, Ridley, Mega Man, K. Rool).

That Isaac's popularity has held up for so long despite the last really good game in the series being released a decade ago really shows the magic that two GBA games had, and the love and memories that people who played those games have to this day.
Yeah, if Sakurai wants to look a worldwide popularity as a whole this time around, I'd say that probably bodes well for Isaac's chances, especially since if Sakurai only wants to look at western popularity for one or two characters Ridley and Little Mac would probably be the first two he would see (though it is intriguing to see that Isaac can still hold his own popularity-wise with Little Mac). It really is a testament to the impact that Golden Sun had on the GBA and 10+ years ago, and if Sakurai really does look at series as a whole, instead of their current status (which I believe he does) personally I think at this point when adding new series it would be difficult to ignore Golden Sun.

Its possible that Dark Dawn did bring in some new fans to the series, and while the the latest game was not a success on par with the GBA titles, it at least kept the series from falling into obscurity.
Yeah, in retrospect it seems the biggest effect of Dark Dawn wasn't really to create a new wave of support for Isaac, more just to keep GS support from fading away, which it most likely would've had we not received a game for ten years. I don't doubt that it did bring new fans to the series, but definitely not as many as the first two did. I suppose it also just showed that Golden Sun wouldn't just be limited to being a two-shot series, and it does have potential to continue, even if we're at quite an unsure point right now.

Right now, Camelot is making a new Mario Golf game for the 3DS (which is scheduled to be released later this year). Camelot already released a new Mario Tennis game last year.

Thw question is what will be their next project after this? I think they are too small now to make a Wii U title, and that can't go years without making any more new games.
Good point Chrono, especially considering Nintendo didn't have them make a Mario Tennis or Golf game for the Wii (other than re-releasing the Gamecube Tennis game), when there definitely would've been an audience for them given Wii Sports and Mario, instead opting for them to focus on Golden Sun. Since them taking a break after this golf game could be very detrimental to them given their current decline anyway, it's possible Nintendo might choose to have them try their hand at Golden Sun again, especially since GS was at one point successful in Japan, and the 3DS is doing crazy well there, so there is already a decent-sized audience with already established RPGs doing well on the 3DS. In tandem with GS appearing on the VC and Isaac potentially being revealed for Smash (Camelot's next project won't be revealed til next year at the earliest anyway, when non-trailer newcomers will likely also be revealed) it could hypothetically work quite well. Of course I'm getting ahead of myself, and Nintendo has opted for some of their second-parties to do nothing instead of revisiting a currently lukewarm franchise *cough*Noise*cough*, but it was a view I never really thought of before, and it is a possibility.

One thing to keep in mind is that Virtual Console Game Boy Advance games will start to release later this year. The release of the two GBA Golden Sun games will serve to purposes to potentially help Isaac:
1. Bring in new fans to the series.
2. Show Camelot just how much interest there is in the series.

I am not sure if I remembering things correctly, but I think the decent sales of Sin & Punishment on the Virtual Console served as an impetus for Treasure to make Sin & Punishment 2.

So those are some bright spots for you Isaac supporters.
That's very true, and although I didn't doubt GS and GS2 would eventually touch down in the GBA VC, I didn't really think of how it would impact anything. If Nintendo uses it in promotion like they do with some of their other VC titles (like with Club Nintendo or with special sales) it could definitely boost GS's notoriety and convince Camelot there are still fans of the series and still people who want to play Golden Sun, which is sort of what they asked for several months ago. Hopefully it will be one of the first titles added, as it seems Nintendo often does release games that were launch window titles relatively soon after that system becomes available on the VC. It probably will be the best chance of continuing the GS series short of getting a GS rep in Smash, so if/when GS does show up in the VC, hopefully all you Isaac supporters and people who want more of the GS series pick it up, even if you've played it before. It'd probably also be a great opportunity for those unfamiliar with the series to jump in. I was disappointed it wasn't one of the GBA Ambassador titles, but hopefully Nintendo eventually does release GBA games on the 3DS VC as well.

Thanks for the positive points Chrono ^_^

D

Deleted member

I won't need to respond the debate we were having afterall if what I interpreted from the source the guy gave is accurate, in that it matches the Nintendo Power interview with series since Pikmin.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I won't need to respond the debate we were having afterall if what I interpreted from the source the guy gave is accurate, in that it matches the Nintendo Power interview with series since Pikmin.
Golden Sun came out before Pikmin in both Japan, NA, and Europe.

Get back to debating. :p

D

Deleted member

That's the POINT.
The original argument was that it was series that debuted from 2001 and up other than Pikmin and Animal Crossing were not worthy of a character by what was said by someone else. Now, the translation I'm seeing is saying series that came after Pikmin didn't really offer workable characters, meaning Golden Sun would be unaffected by the statement because a) it came before Pikmin, and b) obviously has a workable character.
Meaning the points I was arguing are null and void.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's the POINT.
The original argument was that it was series that debuted from 2001 and up. Now, its saying series that came after Pikmin, meaning Golden Sun would be unaffected by the statement.
Meaning the points I was arguing are null and void.
OH... My bad.

D

Deleted member

Although, the statement still applies to Starfy.....
Guess Sakurai didn't really see much in him after all....

And by association, any WarioWare character other than Wario, seeing as the series (and the rest of the cast) debuted past 2001, but Wario didn't.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Golden Sun came out before Pikmin in both Japan, NA, and Europe.

Get back to debating. :p
Nothing more really needs to be said. Being out of the incorrectly interpreted "post-2001" stigma helps the chances of a GS character, but they still have other detractors in its way as well, so really we'll just have to wait and see what ends up happening. Personally I won't really be surprised with whichever outcomes happens, but I know one will make me very happy. :grin:

Edit: I'm too slow. :sonic:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Issac's popularity is mainly in North America. It's pretty much dead in Japan, with Shulk filling in the position so to speak.
+ Europe

Why do people always forget Europe? :rolleyes:

Isaac is the best character I can think of when adding a character from a series not yet represented in Smash. Easily.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sweet post there Chrono! I had completely forgot about GS being a possible release for Virtual Console and how it might surprise Camelot. I mean, if I remember correctly, there was even a thing about GS4 that could done if the fan outcry is enough in one of the director's interviews. So if Isaac can "pull Saki" like Chrono thought, we might hopefully some GS-announcement.

I shall thus embrace N3ON's suggestion of buying the games from VC to show my support to the series (heck, delay playing Lost Age until it's released at Virtual Console. Makes it more worthwhile).

Diddy: Because Europeans aren't very vocal. That's why. (Except about Tingle)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think there are as many Europeans here as are Americans... could be wrong though.

Isaac looks like an interesting character, anyway. I could try his games when they release on the VC... eventually.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, if Sakurai wants to look a worldwide popularity as a whole this time around, I'd say that probably bodes well for Isaac's chances, especially since if Sakurai only wants to look at western popularity for one or two characters Ridley and Little Mac would probably be the first two he would see (though it is intriguing to see that Isaac can still hold his own popularity-wise with Little Mac). It really is a testament to the impact that Golden Sun had on the GBA and 10+ years ago, and if Sakurai really does look at series as a whole, instead of their current status (which I believe he does) personally I think at this point when adding new series it would be difficult to ignore Golden Sun.
*Nester can be a testament too
Just shouting that out.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why do I have this feeling that BluePikmin11 is resorting to trolling to defend his idea that Nester should be included?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So you don't give a **** about Nintendo of America.
It was just a shoutout, I wasn't really begging you guys.
No one said anything about begging.

You're trolling, however. That is obvious.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
No one said anything about begging.

You're trolling, however. That is obvious.
I'm an honest man to what I'm telling, I'm not being some sort of troll.
N3ON stated about Sakurai considering Isaac based on worldwide popularity. Nester may not be popular, heck, he hasn't debuted an appearance in Japan. But if Sakurai were to delve deep into American research, Nester and Isaac have a chance, because in the Americas they are popular here.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
N3ON stated about Sakurai considering Isaac based on worldwide popularity. Nester may not be popular, heck, he hasn't debuted an appearance in Japan. But if Sakurai were to delve deep into American research, Nester and Isaac have a chance, because in the Americas they are popular here.
The main difference is that Isaac also has popularity worldwide. Nester doesn't exist out of the US.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So you don't give a **** about Nintendo of America.
It was just a shoutout, I wasn't really begging you guys.
What wonderful logic. I'm European, by the way. Portuguese, to be more precise.

If I wasn't as present on the Internet as I am, I'd have never heard of Nester in the first place. And you know what? I already knew who G&W was before playing Melee! And I was 10 years old! Why? Game & Watch Gallery Advance for GBA.

You compared Game & Watch which is known in THREE major areas of the world (Japan, North America and Europe) to a comic character appearing in an American Nintendo magazine, which even most Americans don't know who he is.

Besides, Game & Watch games were pretty much the Game Boy's baby steps. Hugely comparable to Nester, totally! And let's not get started on R.O.B.'s importance, not only to Nintendo, but to the industry as a whole!

And I hope this ends this topic's derailing and lets BluePikmin11 understand that his arguments are invalid. /rant

Now, let's just get back to discussing Isaac from Golden Sun.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The main difference is that Isaac also has popularity worldwide. Nester doesn't exist out of the US.
OK! Heres an example, off-topic though.
A Japanese Nintendo character appears in a Smash game -> Possible increase of popularity of the franchise or character worldwide.

An American Nintendo character appears in a Smash game -> Possible increase of popularity of the franchise or character worldwide.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've never said that Isaac has the top chances for SSB4, but compared to Nester, they are superb. Firstly, unlike Nester, Sakurai wouldn't have to delve deep to observe popularity. Secondly, Isaac still does have some Japanese popularity, just not as much anymore. Nester doesn't have any. Looking at worldwide popularity requires worldwide popularity. Isaac has amounts of popularity in NA, in Japan, and in Europe. Nester can only claim to have popularity in America, and even that is questionable at this point.

Troll on...
;)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A Japanese Nintendo character appears in a Smash game -> Possible increase of popularity of the franchise or character worldwide.

An American Nintendo character appears in a Smash game -> Possible increase of popularity of the franchise or character worldwide.
Yes, but the characters who got in were already popular in their respective areas. Marth and Lucas were heavily requested. Nester is so obscure that most Americans have no idea who he is.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I've never said that Isaac has the top chances for SSB4, but compared to Nester, they are superb. Firstly, unlike Nester, Sakurai wouldn't have to delve deep to observe popularity. Secondly, Isaac still does have some Japanese popularity, just not as much anymore. Nester doesn't have any. Looking at worldwide popularity requires worldwide popularity. Isaac has amounts of popularity in NA, in Japan, and in Europe. Nester can only claim to have popularity in America, and even that is questionable at this point.

Troll on...
;)
Starfy's appearance in Brawl was questionable too. ;)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

कृपया यहाँ ट्रोल मत कीजिये. ;)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Except Starfy was already known outside of Japan thanks to import players and such.

I sincerely doubt the Japanese people would import an American Nintendo magazine.

EDIT 1: OK, FalKoopa... what did you just write? Is that Hindi?

EDIT 2: One Google Translate later... My reaction: :rotfl: Well done, FalKoopa... well done.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ignoring the Nestor rubbish for now...

Although, the statement still applies to Starfy.....
Guess Sakurai didn't really see much in him after all....
Eh, to be fair, he was still Japanese-only. Sakurai can get a bit picky with Japanese-only characters it seems, you know? /StarfyDefence

Anyway, call me uninformed, but I actually didn't know Golden Sun came out before Pikmin until I came to this thread today...huh.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Except Starfy was already known outside of Japan thanks to import players and such.

I sincerely doubt the Japanese people would import an American Nintendo magazine.

EDIT 1: OK, FalKoopa... what did you just write? Is that Hindi?

EDIT 2: One Google Translate later... My reaction: :rotfl: Well done, FalKoopa... well done.
Think before Starfy became worldwide known,
I am speaking in general.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Tanta maturidade que aqui existe...

@BluePikmin11: You keep derailing this thread over and over. Just stop. If you're not adding anything regarding Isaac or Golden Sun, get out.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You were asking for it! When we defended our position, you kept spewing the same invalid argument over and over again, causing nothing but thread derailing.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys! How about that Isaac chap? He's pretty cool!

(Trying to get the thread back on topic)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I support Isaac, although I only played Dark Dawn.
Golden Sun is a good RPG, but maybe I hadn't played the first, because Dark Dawn is easy. I heard the difficulty was harder than Dark Dawn.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Though I haven't played his games, I would like to see him in Smash 4 as a playable character. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo vs Ness vs Lucas vs Isaac. That would be a match I want to play a lot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I support Isaac, although I only played Dark Dawn.
Golden Sun is a good RPG, but maybe I hadn't played the first, because Dark Dawn is easy. I heard the difficulty was harder than Dark Dawn.
Yeah, the first two were harder than Dark Dawn. Not because they were especially hard or anything (I've played much more difficult RPGs), but just because Dark Dawn was a little underwhelmingly easy. When it becomes non-linear I found the difficulty to sort of plateau, as the following parts can really be done in any order, for the most part.

Anyway, if you have any interest in playing the first two (which I would recommend if you at all enjoyed the third - the first two are better) I'd suggest picking them up when they appear on the VC, as every single purchase counts towards showing Camelot there is still some interest in the series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, it seems like the majority of people that have played Golden Sun have played it when it came out and was somewhat of a hot thing. Which makes me think that's the reason why people are so fond of the Golden Sun and why people are fond of Issac is because of that sense of nostalgia. Honestly speaking, I'm not one of those people. I have played Golden Sun in recent years to figure out what the big deal is with the franchise that get's people so intrigued... and I fail to see it. It might be because of the many RPG's I have played over the years tainting my views, might be because I have not played the games when it came out which caused me to not get a sense of fond memories, or maybe it's because of Xenoblade pretty much spoiling me to sin. One thing for sure is that whatever charm Golden Sun has, I honestly don't see it.

Call me nasty words and throw eggs at me all you want, I'm just curious as to why Golden Sun seems to get peoples attention. No fire in sight, just some answers to questions.

Top Bottom