• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
GBA games are finally coming to VC.

Meaning that we will finally see Golden Sun on the VC, I been waiting for this for a long time.

I'm not really thrilled about having to play it on the Wii U though, it's a RPG, and I don't like playing RPGs on the console, which is why I always like games like GS and Pokémon released on the handhelds.

Hopefully GBA games also are released on the 3ds, I'm getting tired of it being nothing, but old outdated Gameboy Color and Gameboy Nothing games.

Either way the release of Golden Sun games in e shop means we'll finally see Isaac revealed for Super Smash Bros, perhaps maybe even this April, if not April, then maybe June.

@ Arteen Arteen you're Sheba, why don't you just use Mind Read and find out when and if Isaac is being revealed.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think Isaac would actually get a lot of hype. He may be less loved as a character, but he has such a huge potential for movepool, a great universe, and variety of music that his trailer will be naturally exciting. With the same sort of cleverness and attention to detail they put into this trailer he could end up looking as exciting as Megaman easily, though with less nostalgia fuel obviously. Now, of course, they could do a Rosalina and give him a really cheap quick trailer with badly done track mixing and a complete lack of what makes GS so cool, expecting said moveset to sell him on it's own, but I don't think they would. Isaac's trailer should be amazing, and could easily be enough to get people excited for him even if they don't know him all that well.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Isaac would actually get a lot of hype. He may be less loved as a character, but he has such a huge potential for movepool, a great universe, and variety of music that his trailer will be naturally exciting. With the same sort of cleverness and attention to detail they put into this trailer he could end up looking as exciting as Megaman easily, though with less nostalgia fuel obviously. Now, of course, they could do a Rosalina and give him a really cheap quick trailer with badly done track mixing and a complete lack of what makes GS so cool, expecting said moveset to sell him on it's own, but I don't think they would. Isaac's trailer should be amazing, and could easily be enough to get people excited for him even if they don't know him all that well.
I agree, plus I think people underestimate Golden Sun's fan base, we'd be well capable of making a noise when the time came.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
There's characters in Super Smash Bros I don't know too well, I always played Mario, Zelda and Pokémon, I never really started thinking outside the box until Golden Sun came out and then I decided to play that instead of playing the Pokémon Ruby and Sappire games, meaning I missed out on Hoenn because I was busy playing Golden Sun, and I loved every minute of it, I was glad I didn't play Ruby and Sapphire, although now I wish they'd remake them so I can see what I missed.

Yeah, there are characters in the Super Smash Bros series that I never knew until I played Super Smash Bros, the N64 game I didn't know who Captain Falcon, Ness or even Samus were, yes that's right Samus, I didn't know Samus until Super Smash Bros and I didn't even know it was a girl at first.

Melee introduced more characters I didn't know, Ice Climers, Game and Watch, Marth, and Roy, I feel instead of Roy though because he was a clone, they should of had Isaac debut in Melee since Golden Sun came out the same year Melee was released and it was like the best RPG of the year.

Brawl had a lot of characters I didn't know, I didn't know who Snake was, ROB, I didn't think such a character existed, and Lucas, I knew e looked like Ness, but I don't play Earthbound, and then there's Pit, and then ultimately I played Uprising and it was one of the best games I ever played.

Super Smash Bros introduced me to a lot of characters, and I'd like Isaac to be one of them, because I think the world needs to see Isaac playable in Super Smash Bros, maybe this could be the desired motivation Camelot needs to make more Golden Sun games.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
He just has so much potential as a character. It would be a pity for him not to get in, and this is coming from someone who probably wouldn't even main him!

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros introduced me to a lot of characters, and I'd like Isaac to be one of them, because I think the world needs to see Isaac playable in Super Smash Bros, maybe this could be the desired motivation Camelot needs to make more Golden Sun games.
Totally, not only Camelot, people will be interested in general therefore they will play the GS games released in the VC and hopefully there will be much more requests for a new game... For 3DS, god I love that handheld.

Morbi

Scavenger
He just has so much potential as a character. It would be a pity for him not to get in, and this is coming from someone who probably wouldn't even main him!
This is precisely how I feel, it wouldn't be right to exclude him. I am not good at making move-sets, but I could probably make 2 or 3 without any preparation time for Isaac. I wouldn't really even main him, but he sounds like one of the more fun candidates.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
He has legit everything at his disposal; projectiles, a sword, lots of interesting things he can DO with it besides swat it around (here's looking at you, multiple other swordsman) and a moveset that could potentially be the most interesting yet

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm more interested to see the field psynergies (pound, move, grab, lift and all that), moreso than the earth ones.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Isaac has :
• field psynergies (pound, move, grab...)
• earth psynergies (earthquage, thorn, gaia, grand golem...)
• sword techniques (Sol Blade -> Megiddo (!!!), Excalibur -> Legend, Darksword -> Acheron's Grief...)
• and most importantly, djinn and summons (Charon, Catastrophe...) !

Isaac has everything to make him unique and not a generique swordman.
He could have a moveset based only on his sword, field and earth psynergies and using Megiddo as a final smash, or he could also have a moveset based on Olimar, more respectful to the game, where you pick djinn, and according the djinn you have, you can summon someone.

The number of moveset is just too high, and Sakurai certainly can pull of the best from Isaac.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just don't emphasis the sword, emphasis his abilities to manipulate the earth itself.
and his utility psynergy (that's the hand) and access to djinn. That's the great thing about Isaac, earth manipulation isn't the only thing he has going for him. He isn't a one trick pony.

His sword is such a minor and inconsequential part of what he can do, take it away and he's still far from powerless.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The JPN VC showing Golden Sun in their direct. Means he's got a recent release/Nintendo knows its popular enough to create hype.
Ah. Okay. Just making sure you didn't have something new to show us that wasn't showing up in your post. lol

But yes, it is at least a little bit of good news.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Huh, so the Japanese Direct showed Golden Sun and Advance Wars?

Mark your calenders, fellow adepts, April 3 may be the day to make or break our hopes.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
and his utility psynergy (that's the hand) and access to djinn. That's the great thing about Isaac, earth manipulation isn't the only thing he has going for him. He isn't a one trick pony.

His sword is such a minor and inconsequential part of what he can do, take it away and he's still far from powerless.
It is hard to decide what to cut of Isaac if is necessary to cut something to make a SSB moveset. Starting for Psynergy, he is know for being an Earth Adept but he can use the other 3 elements in other classes, classes that give different stats and Psynergies to Isaac, classes that you obtain thanks to Djinns, magical creatures that assist him in battle and that allow him to summon gods, sobrenatural beings and other things, like meteorites. We can also divide Psynergy in 3 types, field psynergy, battle psynergy and psynergy used in both things. Inside the Field Psynergy we can find Hand-based psynergy but also other Psynergy that are related to the temperature or the weather and other things... In battle Psynergy we have offensive psynergies, support psynergies that increases stats, healing psynergies... We can find exactly the same in Djinns, offensive, support, healing...
Then he have the use of Items and lastly access to different types of weapons, swords are just his main weapon and the main weapon of Golden Sun. The Sol Blade and the unleash Megiddo are probably the most reconogzible (Though im actually one of those that use the Sol Blade in Felix, not in Isaac, but in Dark Dawn Isaac for some reason decided to abandon Sol Blade in an ancient ruin that was supossed to be pratically unreachable and later Sol Blade was the Key for other ancient ruins, what a poor excuse Camelot, i can imagine Felix: "**** off, is my sword")

At the end i can imagine Isaac using Sword in Jab, Tilts and Aerias, Smashes and specials would be Psynergy or Djinns.
In fact i can see that Smash match perfectly with Psynergy, depending in how long you charge Down Smash, for example you could reach different levels of quake psynergy, Quake, Earthquake and Quake Sphere with full charge...

Also while VC clearly dont affect much Isaac and SSB, it is nice to see that Nintendo considers worthy Golden Sun.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord

Mark your calenders, fellow adepts, April 3 may be the day to make or break our hopes.
We didn't have a Tropical Freeze tie-in with the latest Direct, so I doubt Nintendo will prepare a character reveal for a virtual console release.

It'd be a pretty smart move though. Open the April Direct with an awesome Isaac trailer, get everyone hyped up for him, then plug the GBA virtual console afterwards. That'd sell some copies.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I will say that IF Isaac is included, April would pretty much be the best time to unveil him. However, a VC release isn't exactly a lot to go on, especially if he's unlockable, so don't get super discouraged should we not get him at that time.

Arteen

Smash Lord
It might be unprecedented, but I fully expect that we'll see all of the newcomers prior to release. They're making those reveal trailers after all. Might as well use them.

It doesn't look like Sakurai minds revealing unlockable characters, either.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think we'll get a few trailers (or maybe just one) released after the game's out, keep the hype rolling during the first few weeks to help sales along, even if we know who's in the game already. I also kind of expect a direct that focuses on the game balance after the game's release, or atleast something more than the pre-release Developers Direct because it's designed to be a system seller.

Last edited:

peachy!

super princess
I will say that IF Isaac is included, April would pretty much be the best time to unveil him. However, a VC release isn't exactly a lot to go on, especially if he's unlockable, so don't get super discouraged should we not get him at that time.
April is probably when the next global Direct will take place, if we go by the "every two months" pattern, since we just had one in February. I wouldn’t give up my hopes just yet.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't know... What they do with Directs is just flat out unpredictable these days. They used to be bimonthly, but then there for a while they had one every month.

Either way, one thing to note is that new characters - or even characters of any sort - have not been revealed in every Direct.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Unless Sakurai starts dropping some hints, I don't expect Isaac as the next newcomer. Both Little Mac and Rosalina were preceded by stage reveals. It makes me think Chrom or Lucina will be next, given that we've seen their stage for a while. Of course, Sakurai's impossible to predict.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
He has so much potential..but to be honestly he does not have much popularity outside of Golden Sun fans..still i do hope he nappers as a playable charcter

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
He has so much potential..but to be honestly he does not have much popularity outside of Golden Sun fans..still i do hope he nappers as a playable charcter
Right... I wouldn't say, like others do, that Isaac is not popular. Only a part (and probably a small part) it is in the SSB community as well. Considering that and the general inactivity of GS fan base. Other characters have an advantage. But the "low popularity" of Isaac is not a real obstacle at all. That was not an obstacle for R.O.B. or WFT. But unlike Brawl, SSB4 it is going to include a more limited newcomers number, that and the recent low performance of Dark Dawn is what hurts mostly Isaac chances in my opinion.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Unless Sakurai starts dropping some hints, I don't expect Isaac as the next newcomer. Both Little Mac and Rosalina were preceded by stage reveals. It makes me think Chrom or Lucina will be next, given that we've seen their stage for a while. Of course, Sakurai's impossible to predict.
The problem with that is you could get away with a Mario Galaxy stage because it's "just another Mario stage" and you can get away with the boxing ring because it appeared to be "just a generic smash stage". They had just the right amount of intrigue without being completely obvious.

There's no way Sakurai could show us a Golden Sun stage (or anything related that isn't Isaac) without major alarm bells going off in fans heads.

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Right... I wouldn't say, like others do, that Isaac is not popular. Only a part (and probably a small part) it is in the SSB community as well. Considering that and the general inactivity of GS fan base. Other characters have an advantage. But the "low popularity" of Isaac is not a real obstacle at all. That was not an obstacle for R.O.B. or WFT. But unlike Brawl, SSB4 it is going to include a more limited newcomers number, that and the recent low performance of Dark Dawn is what hurts mostly Isaac chances in my opinion.
I do think there is shot manly because honestly i think Sakurai does not want many charcters from existing franchises..3 newcomers from old franchises at most. I think the rest will be from new franchises. Also Issac is a unquie charcter and all the of the new comers have something that makes them unquie so they could easily add him in..I am mixed on Issac's chances

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Wait so is Golden Sun coming to Japan VC April 3??

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was suddenly overcome yesterday by a scarily irrational "gut feeling" that Isaac will be the next newcomer revealed in April.

I know I'm more than likely setting myself up for disappointment, but something about the current scenario makes it feel "right".

Do you think a Nintendo direct would happen as early in the month as April 3rd though? Considering that's when Golden Sun VC is being released.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I was suddenly overcome yesterday by a scarily irrational "gut feeling" that Isaac will be the next newcomer revealed in April.

I know I'm more than likely setting myself up for disappointment, but something about the current scenario makes it feel "right".

Do you think a Nintendo direct would happen as early in the month as April 3rd though? Considering that's when Golden Sun VC is being released.
I think it would make sense...i really want Issac to be revealed but at the same time..i have my reservations..

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I remember when Isaac in Brawl "felt right" and was crushed when he didn't show up. This time around I'm trying to keep the understanding that, as likely as I may think he is, I shouldn't expect him as he's liable to simply be an assist trophy again. I'll still be disappointed if it goes that way but at least it won't be a surprise.

Personally I think April's VC release would be an awfully weak reason to reveal Isaac if he's in. After all, it's just one out of several GBA titles being rereleased at that time, and while I didn't see the Japanese Direct, I'm guessing Golden Sun being part of the line-up wasn't some huge focal point. It's not impossible I suppose (we should see a Direct in April after all), but I'd much more expect a more obvious/hype-building candidate like Palutena or Ridley at this point.

Top Bottom