• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's not that it's a bad game. It just didn't live up to the awesomeness of the originals. We waited a lot for a new GS game and it arrived... it was just OK.

By the way, I didn't mention this, but Little Mac was one of those characters that, to me, was "up in the air" (even if kinda obviously included because of the ring) along with Ridley and K. Rool, both of which are popular but not shoe-ins. I'll admit, I thought he could end up not being included because he's not too popular in Japan.

Anywho, one newcomer slot less... one less chance for Isaac to sneak in. :c
It never changed anything for me (and I'd imagine many others) since most of us saw Little Mac as the most likely addition.

Plus out of the assist trophies I'd never have expected Isaac to make it in before Little Mac. So Little Mac was necessary.

I'm mainly going to start worrying if we start seeing more unexpected newcomers and if the likes of K Rool, Dixie, Mewtwo, Ridley or Palutena don't appear because it would increase the likelihood of the secret characters being them. (and not Isaac)

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Indeed, that was the most likely scenario. Still, like I said, Little Mac's seemingly western-only popularity was something to be considered.

But yes, in retrospect, he was probably the most obvious of the newcomers.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Indeed, that was the most likely scenario. Still, like I said, Little Mac's seemingly western-only popularity was something to be considered.

But yes, in retrospect, he was probably the most obvious of the newcomers.
Well times do change, perhaps western popularity has become more important to Sakurai. I feel like maybe the bias towards Japan might be exaggerated. I mean the only time Sakurai has added characters purely on Japanese popularity was Fire Emblem and that was in Melee....not to mention Sakurai was biased because he loved Fire Emblem.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd count Lucas there, too. He was (and still is) a Japanese-only character when Brawl came out.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
It's not that it's a bad game. It just didn't live up to the awesomeness of the originals. We waited a lot for a new GS game and it arrived... it was just OK.

By the way, I didn't mention this, but Little Mac was one of those characters that, to me, was "up in the air" (even if kinda obviously included because of the ring) along with Ridley and K. Rool, both of which are popular but not shoe-ins. I'll admit, I thought he could end up not being included because he's not too popular in Japan.

Anywho, one newcomer slot less... one less chance for Isaac to sneak in. :c
Interesting theory, but I have to say it doesn't decrease Isaac's chances.

If you look at it nobody knows how many Newcomers we'll see, plus if you look at it, Little Mac being included shows that Sakurai is considering characters that were Assist Trophies in Brawl as playable characters and when I look at the Assist Trophy roster in Brawl the characters that always stood out as characters that should be playable in SSB4 were Isaac, Little Mac, Lyn, and Waluigi.

It's not like Isaac is like Waluigi in whom looks to once again not to be playable, Waluigi always gets screwed because there's always a better Mario character to put in over him, and this time it was Rosalina, the only thing I can say is at least it wasn't Bowser Jr.

If you look at the roster, it could use a few good RPG reps, after all everything RPG is not Fire Emblem and Earthbound, there's other great RPGs to include and Golden Sun is definitely one of them, if freaken Earthbound can get a roster spot, then Golden Sun can too, in fact instead of wasting space on two Earthbound characters, they should of had Isaac playable in Brawl instead of Lucas, have Lucas be a Assist Trophy instead of Jeff.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I actually want to support Isaac too, if you all don't mind, as a mater of fact, here's all the Assist Trophy assist characters I would want in SSB4 as playable characters/Assists I think would fit in battle: Barbara, Devil (Tamagon should get in before him, though.), Dr. Wright from SimCity, (I simply would be intrigued by his appearance.) Excitebiker (I've been a supporter for him pre-Brawl, despite his pretty low chances, IMO.) Kururin and his Helirin, (again, low chance in my opinion.) someone from Nintendo Wars, (maybe Andy.) Jill, (from Drill Dozer) Knuckle Joe, (maybe after Bandana Dee) Lyn, (Fire Emblem) Ray MK III, Samurai Goroh, (for an added rep in F-Zero.) Saki, Tingle and Waluigi. I would say Starfy, but since he's an Assist, that won't happen anytime soon, of course....

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I've never heard of Isaac before his assist trophy role in Brawl and joining here. He pretty much was the best AT though and looks like he has such great potential to get a spot on the roster.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Who else cannot wait for the inevitable Golden Sun VC on Wii U? Maybe if the sales are really good it may push Camelot to make a new game

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wish they were releasing the gba games on the 3ds vc, you know where it actually makes sense.

The whole thing reeks of "oh no the Wii u is in trouble let's make our fantastic back catalogue of gba and ds games Wii u exclusive".

I don't appreciate it at all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair GBA games have been announced for like... almost a year, before the Wii U really was in such dire straights. Yeah they'd make sense to be on the 3DS as well, but what I don't appreciate is how many systems we've had promised or planned for the Wii U VC yet we're still stuck with just a fairly limited selection of NES and SNES games.

I don't even have a Wii U though so yeah I'd prefer they were releasing Golden Sun on the 3DS as well, which is the one I currently own.

I actually want to support Isaac too, if you all don't mind, as a mater of fact, here's all the Assist Trophy assist characters I would want in SSB4 as playable characters/Assists I think would fit in battle: Barbara, Devil (Tamagon should get in before him, though.), Dr. Wright from SimCity, (I simply would be intrigued by his appearance.) Excitebiker (I've been a supporter for him pre-Brawl, despite his pretty low chances, IMO.) Kururin and his Helirin, (again, low chance in my opinion.) someone from Nintendo Wars, (maybe Andy.) Jill, (from Drill Dozer) Knuckle Joe, (maybe after Bandana Dee) Lyn, (Fire Emblem) Ray MK III, Samurai Goroh, (for an added rep in F-Zero.) Saki, Tingle and Waluigi. I would say Starfy, but since he's an Assist, that won't happen anytime soon, of course....
It's nice to hear you support Isaac, but honestly most of those characters have pretty low chances, not just Excitebiker and Helirin. With Little Mac playable and Starfy deconfirmed I'd be surprised if we got more than one more playable AT.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'd say Isaac and Saki still have a chance. Both Isaac and Shulk outclass Saki, though.

I did a bit of a "conservative" analysis on a ~50 character roster, and every space is pretty much taken if we go by what's been speculated.

To me, Isaac's chances now depend entirely on the roster size being greater than 50, or there being a few cuts.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Isaac and Saki still have a chance. Both Isaac and Shulk outclass Saki, though.

I did a bit of a "conservative" analysis on a ~50 character roster, and every space is pretty much taken if we go by what's been speculated.

To me, Isaac's chances now depend entirely on the roster size being greater than 50, or there being a few cuts.
In my opinion, there are 7-8 characters not revealed yet :
  • Mewtwo
  • Palutena
  • DK rep or/and Metroid rep
  • Fire Emblem rep
  • Retro
  • 3rd party
  • New serie
At most, we'll have one more new serie besides the retro and the 3rd party. When we think about it, Shulk and Isaac are the most wanted ones, and then we have Saki, Chibi Robo, Ray...
When we think about it, Shulk right now is in the same case than Isaac during Brawl era. It would be really uncool if Shulk takes the last spot over Isaac (even if Shulk is one of my most wanted newcomer).

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
From my experience Isaac slots in nicely within a 50 character roster, though it depends almost entirely on whether or not Shulk gets in. If we assume all 35 Brawl slots return and an upper limit of 50, we've got upwards of 10 slots left. Going by conventional wisdom that breaks down to:

- Mewtwo
- Palutena
- Ridley
- Dixie/K. Rool
- Chrom/Lucina/Surprise FE Character
- Pac-Man
- Mii
- Retro
- Isaac/Shulk
- <Random Space>

There's plenty of ways that could be wrong (actual roster size being more/less, Pac-Man/Mii rumor being false, generally guessing the wrong newcomers), but that feels like the most likely scenario at this point. Now, if we start getting newcomers that fly in the face of that model, well, things are going to start getting interesting...

iam8bit

Smash Ace
My guess is the roster will consist of around 50 playable characters, on ~45 slots. Depending on cuts, that would mean ~12 newcomers, 5 of which have been revealed. I'd say anywhere between 6-9 newcomers are left to be revealed.

Now, assuming:

- Miis are included
- A "retro" character is included
- Another 3rd party character is included
- Mewtwo comes back and/or there's a Pokemon newcomer
- A Kid Icarus newcomer is included
- A Donkey Kong newcomer is included
- A Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero or Fire Emblem is included

That really doesn't really leave a lot of space for characters like Isaac, it seems. :c

I really hope a roster bigger than 50 is a possibility now that SSE won't be a thing, but won't be holding my breath...

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Isaac is probably my most wanted newcomer in this game, and I feel like he deserves the spot. I mean, his series has had 3 great games, got special treatment in Brawl, and even outsold some of Nintendo's other great games by a freak ton. If that doesn't prove my point, I don't know what does.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If we're counting guys like Pokemon Trainer as multiple movesets, we have Brawl introducing 18 new characters, 15 of which were wholly unique (plus Wolf who wasn't far off). Then we have the Forbidden Seven making it appear that we could have had even more, albeit generally clones/semi-clones, and it seems Sakurai is not averse to making lots of new characters. Not to say SSB4 will maintain the trend (Melee only had 8 wholly unique newcomers thanks to all the clones), but with SSE out of the way and Namco lending a hand, I don't think it's unfair to guess that the roster will end up being big enough to allow for Isaac, among others, and that's without even considering the possibility of cuts. There's also the potential for DLC to consider, but I'd rather not dwell on that too much unless that actually becomes a thing.

Point is, there's definitely hope for Isaac left given what we currently know of the roster, though it's anyone's guess as to how it will ultimately pan out.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
It's a fair point to consider that Brawl had a LOT of new characters made for it, even with SSE gettting made. The roster didn't increase as much as it could, but that was because of the cuts.

For Smash 4, it seems the newcomers have a much more developed character/moveset. That alone is already a difference from Brawl.

That said, can we really expect a roster larger than 50 characters? That's why I'd rather predict a 45-50 character roster. The roster can only grow so much before it becomes too large...

I dunno, I'd hope for 15-18 newcomers (like Brawl) but expect 10-12.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'm finding the newcomers in the recent "leaks" very interesting. Sadly, Isaac isn't found in most of them. :scared:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Oh I know. I'm not putting too much weight on the leaks just yet, I think it's too early to have real ones.

I just found it odd is all, Isaac is always included in the super-fake leaks with the likes of Dillon and Reggie. :urg:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'm guessing most "leaks" don't want to bother with a character like Isaac that isn't a safe enough pick to make it look more believable, nor unsafe enough to make the leak particularly interesting. Also, recent momentum on Smashboards at least seems to favor picking Shulk, so that probably isn't helping matters.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it has to do with most leakers wanting to make their lists more tantalizing, so they don't want to include "that assist trophy guy" or just don't remember/care, and hope others won't as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How was Isaac's popularity during pre-Brawl times?
Behind Olimar (and excluding Wario) he was the second most popular character from an unrepresented series, and overall probably among the top five most wanted characters that weren't included. Not to mention he had pretty much as much popularity in Japan as the west.

So if Sakurai is basing more inclusions on Brawl-era popularity, that bodes quite well for Isaac.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Behind Olimar (and excluding Wario) he was the second most popular character from an unrepresented series, and overall probably among the top five most wanted characters that wasn't included. Not to mention he had pretty much as much popularity in Japan as the west.

So if Sakurai is basing more inclusions on Brawl-era popularity, that bodes quite well for Isaac.
Wow, that's really impressive and awesome.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
It's quite amazing that Isaac is still in the Top 10 requested characters, considering only Dark Dawn has come out since Brawl was released, and he wasn't even a protagonist there.

His popularity is quite good for a character from a smaller series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Any character that can maintain such levels of popularity after not being the main protagonist for thirteen years should just be included on that basis alone. :laugh:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Behind Olimar (and excluding Wario) he was the second most popular character from an unrepresented series, and overall probably among the top five most wanted characters that weren't included. Not to mention he had pretty much as much popularity in Japan as the west.

Yep, both Villager and Megaman are very good indications of unfinished buisness/pre-Brawl popularity. #patience

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So I guess Isaac, Krystal and Ridley are some of the few characters heavily requested during pre-Brawl times that still manages to maintain a good level of popularity despite not making it into Brawl?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So I guess Isaac, Krystal and Ridley are some of the few characters heavily requested during pre-Brawl times that still manages to maintain a good level of popularity despite not making it into Brawl?
Yeah... they're pretty much the most popular remaining characters that also had a large amount of popularity pre-Brawl. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

King K. Rool?
Most of the demand for a DK character back then went to Diddy. Once he was confirmed K. Rool and Dixie started gaining popularity, but neither had that much pre-Brawl.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
And I don't think Krystal's popularity levels are nearly as high as they once were. IMO her popularity has dropped a lot since Wolf was included instead of her.

Ridley and K. Rool seem to have somehow grown or kept most of their popularity.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Krystal still had a fair amount of popularity before Palutena took off, back when people needed some female character to group behind (this was also before TF when many chose K. Rool over Dixie).

K. Rool's popularity post-Brawl is due to Diddy being included. Once the favourite gets included, the popularity shifts to the next in line. Do you think Bandana Dee would have any measure of notable popularity if we hadn't got both Dedede and MK last time? I mean K. Rool is a good choice and all, but he'd have pretty minimal popularity if Diddy still wasn't playable.

In any case, let's try to keep this about Isaac.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
In any case, let's try to keep this about Isaac.
If you say so.

Found this:

Like the Djinn on his shoulder. Hope that they are used in his moveset, would be interesting.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Any character that can maintain such levels of popularity after not being the main protagonist for thirteen years should just be included on that basis alone. :laugh:
Yeah, Isaac (and the Golden Sun series itself) have shown tremendous staying power. At least in terms of smash requests.

If Isaac doesn't make it in to smash 4 as a playable character my desire for him will only grow stronger and more fierce. That's how I feel.

Back in Melee I never considered him realistic since they were still adding sidekicks/villains. When brawl came around I supported him since I felt he had a shot. Now my support is the strongest it's ever been.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually Pikmin sold more, but only slightly. And yes, it was a lot more promoted.

Back in Melee I never considered him realistic since they were still adding sidekicks/villains. When brawl came around I supported him since I felt he had a shot. Now my support is the strongest it's ever been.
Well to be fair when Melee came out GS was only a few months old, so Isaac never really stood a chance for that game anyway.

Top Bottom