• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Watching other AT returning as AT gives me hopes, it's less competition and one more well deserved spot for Isaac.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Watching other AT returning as AT gives me hopes, it's less competition and one more well deserved spot for Isaac.
This is implying that Isaac is in direct competition with other ATs... I'm not sure about that. The number of ATs who can become playable is only limited by the number of roster spots.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This is implying that Isaac is in direct competition with other ATs... I'm not sure about that. The number of ATs who can become playable is only limited by the number of roster spots.
And it seems Isaac is certainly the most viable AT from brawl left.

Saki maybe as a long shot.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
And it seems Isaac is certainly the most viable AT from brawl left.

Saki maybe as a long shot.
Don't think Saki is a long **** looking at the brawl dojo.

Sakurai clearly had ideas for him.

EDIT: OOPS I MEANT LONG SHOT

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Don't think Saki is a long **** looking at the brawl dojo.

Sakurai clearly had ideas for him.

EDIT: OOPS I MEANT LONG SHOT
Just because he tries hard doesn't mean he has a chance to make it into the brawl.

Honestly though he IS a long shot to make it in. Its not like he's expected or anything, whereas Isaac is definitely more expected/popular than him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Honestly though he IS a long shot to make it in. Its not like he's expected or anything, whereas Isaac is definitely more expected/popular than him.
Saki wouldn't be unexpected for me.

like it really matters to sakurai. We already know his opinion on saki.

"H-he has absolutely no problem fitting in!"

-Sakurai

OK back to Isaac.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

-Sakurai

OK back to Isaac.
I really wouldn't be surprised at all if he was in, I don't think many people on the website would be either. Just that we never really discuss him as one of the big contenders. Main point of my post was pretty much that Isaac likely has the best chances from the ATs since Mac was promoted.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
In terms of assist trophies I would think Saki is Isaac's main competition now.

Some might say Tingle but he's too Marmite a character to include, Sakurai even acknowledged it at one point.

Ray mk II could be an underdog....but I wouldn't bet on him.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
In your opinion, if Isaac is playable, which sword should he uses ? I really want to see the Sold Blade and Megiddo.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd Like Issca, Saki and Ray 3 all to become playable, it's hard to choose who I'd like more though...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That'd be omitting a big part of Isaac's playstyle from the actual game. I doubt Sakurai would completely ignore that Isaac's main attack is usually one with a sword.

Especially since "too many sword-wielders" is dumb.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why not have a character utilize magic and swordplay if they're closely associated with and capable of both? It's not like it'd be similar to any other character.
Because a sword clashes with the main attraction of the character, which is being a Venus adapt.

Don't just regulate normal attacks to sword attacks, that would be an insult.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because a sword clashes with the main attraction of the character, which is being a Venus adapt.

What? It's not like Sakurai would even need to create anything, Isaac is a character that already uses both swordplay and psynergy, all it it would be is remaining true to the character, and leaving out the sword would be excluding a major part of his repertoire. No one said Sakurai needs to focus on the sword, but leaving it out completely would hinder representing Isaac more wholly, weapons are an important part of GS. Omitting them would be the insult.

That's like saying the Pokemon characters can only use attacks of their primary type because anything less takes away from their "main attraction".

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Say, @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero , if Isaac shouldn't use his sword what would you expect for his A attacks and tilts?

Using his sword seems be an obvious choice for these. Smashes and Specials would use Psynergy of course.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman

Remove all of Falcon's attacks, why don't you? His Falcon Punch clashes with the main attraction of his character, which is sitting in a car all day and racing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What? It's not like Sakurai would even need to create anything, Isaac is a character that already uses both swordplay and psynergy, all it it would be is remaining true to the character, and leaving out the sword would be excluding a major part of his repertoire. No one said Sakurai needs to focus on the sword, but leaving it out completely would hinder representing Isaac more wholly, weapons are an important part of GS. Omitting them would be the insult.
Nah, I doubt leaving out the sword would really heavily deteriorate Isaac. It's like saying Snake wouldn't be Snake if he didn't have guns, despite the fact that guns weren't his forte in the games (in fact it's normally discouraged to use guns due to the stealth nature of Metal Gear games).

That's like saying the Pokemon characters can only use attacks of their primary type because anything less takes away from their "main attraction".
Comparison fails horribly considering the Pokemon heavily focus on their associated typing.

Unless there is some sort of top secret command that makes Pikachu use Surf.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nah, I doubt leaving out the sword would really heavily deteriorate Isaac. It's like saying Snake wouldn't be Snake if he didn't have guns, despite the fact that guns weren't his forte in the games (in fact it's normally discouraged to use guns due to the stealth nature of Metal Gear games).
Sakurai excluded the guns on a pre-existing rule he had for Smash, it's not like including Isaac with his sword goes against the mold as Snake's guns would. Sakurai has pulled entire movesets out of thin air and given characters moves they weren't even capable of using in place of their own. Swordplay, something done by Isaac in all three games, is indeed a main attraction of the character, even if it's not exactly what sets him apart. Including both not only represents the character better, but makes a more diverse moveset.

Comparison fails horribly considering the Pokemon heavily focus on their associated typing.
And GS heavily focuses on weapon use, it's the first option given in battle and the basic attack.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai excluded the guns on a pre-existing rule he had for Smash, it's not like including Isaac with his sword goes against the mold as Snake's guns would. Sakurai has pulled entire movesets out of thin air and given characters moves they weren't even capable of using in place of their own. Swordplay, something done by Isaac in all three games, is indeed a main attraction of the character, even if it's not exactly what sets him apart. Including both not only represents the character better, but makes a more diverse moveset.
I doubt using sword attacks would make Isaac stand out a lot more, you can make a moveset that entirely focuses on the concept of using earth based attacks, which would lead to amuch more appealing character. Because, like your contradiction says, not every character follows canon to a tee. So naturally, the option of using all of his abilities based around his terrakinesis capabilities is still an option whether you hate it or not. He is a Venus adapt, he can use the powers of the earth itself to attack, so let's make him use the earth to the fullest extent. Leave generic sword play for Chrom.

I'm just thinking from the best prospective possible, hence why I think focusing on a sword at any capacity is a distraction to the focus. The focus is clearly his ability to control the earth.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt using sword attacks would make Isaac stand out a lot more, you can make a moveset that entirely focuses on the concept of using earth based attacks, which would lead to amuch more appealing character. Because, like your contradiction says, not every character follows canon to a tee. So naturally, the option of using all of his abilities based around his terrakinesis capabilities is still an option whether you hate it or not. He is a Venus adapt, he can use the powers of the earth itself to attack, so let's make him use the earth to the fullest extent. Leave generic sword play for Chrom.

I'm just thinking from the best prospective possible, hence why I think focusing on a sword at any capacity is a distraction to the focus. The focus is clearly his ability to control the earth.
If you think the sword is only capable of generic attacks you should play more GS.
And I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm just saying it would be selling the character short to not include a major method of attacking. Because the character is capable of multiple methods of attack one should be totally omitted to give another complete spotlight? Yeah the sword isn't as exciting as the psynergy, but no one said it needed to make up the majority of the moveset. Not every attack in a moveset is exciting anyway.

There's no contradiction in what I said. Using psynergy and using a mix both follow canon, one is just a more complete representation of the character, which Sakurai tends to lean towards. You know what would make Isaac stand out more? Being the only character who switches between magic and swordplay. We've seen magic-users before, we've seen sword-wielders before, but why limit a character associated with both to one? Why would Sakurai not want to capitalize off the opportunity if he were inclined to include Isaac? It's not like the sword attacks implemented are going to be cloned moves of another character or overshadow the rest of the moveset. Why break up Isaac's potential, why not embrace as much as he can and make the best possible, most varied representation of the character?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Hell Isaac could even use an axe. A little less likely than a sword obviously, but just throwing it out there

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
For what it's worth, assist trophy Isaac pretty clearly has a sword, even if he doesn't use it because he's an assist trophy.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
For what it's worth, assist trophy Isaac pretty clearly has a sword, even if he doesn't use it because he's an assist trophy.
Haha, finally Ganondorf gets some relief, at least Ganondorf is playable and unsheathes his sword, all Isaac does is use Move and not use his sword.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Isaac being playable and not using his sword would be even more ridiculous than Ganondorf not using his sword, though, considering Isaac is one of the main characters of his franchise and automatically uses his sword/whatever weapon he's equipped with for regular attacks. They could show off the Djinn or add earth-based effects for his smash attacks, but I think his standard attacks should involve a sword somehow. Count me on board as thinking the "too many swordsmen" argument is ridiculous. There's still plenty of room for him to be a unique sword user.

TeamFlareZakk

Isaac being playable and not using his sword would be even more ridiculous than Ganondorf not using his sword, though, considering Isaac is one of the main characters of his franchise and automatically uses his sword/whatever weapon he's equipped with for regular attacks. They could show off the Djinn or add earth-based effects for his smash attacks, but I think his standard attacks should involve a sword somehow. Count me on board as thinking the "too many swordsmen" argument is ridiculous. There's still plenty of room for him to be a unique sword user.
I totally agree.

Arteen

Smash Lord
If you think the sword is only capable of generic attacks you should play more GS.
And I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm just saying it would be selling the character short to not include a major method of attacking. Because the character is capable of multiple methods of attack one should be totally omitted to give another complete spotlight? Yeah the sword isn't as exciting as the psynergy, but no one said it needed to make up the majority of the moveset. Not every attack in a moveset is exciting anyway.

There's no contradiction in what I said. Using psynergy and using a mix both follow canon, one is just a more complete representation of the character, which Sakurai tends to lean towards. You know what would make Isaac stand out more? Being the only character who switches between magic and swordplay. We've seen magic-users before, we've seen sword-wielders before, but why limit a character associated with both to one? Why would Sakurai not want to capitalize off the opportunity if he were inclined to include Isaac? It's not like the sword attacks implemented are going to be cloned moves of another character or overshadow the rest of the moveset. Why break up Isaac's potential, why not embrace as much as he can and make the best possible, most varied representation of the character?
This does make me wonder how Sakurai would design Isaac. Isaac's got a plentiful bag of tricks, so who knows what creative moves Sakurai will pull out of it. I know most of us were surprised when Isaac used Move of all things as his assist trophy ability.

Would Isaac stick mostly to venus psynergy, or would he end up controlling all of the elements? He has a bunch of utility abilities like halt, cloak, hover, lash and teleport he could use, too. Would Sakurai try to integrate djinn or summons? What representation of Isaac could be considered "complete"?

TeamFlareZakk

This does make me wonder how Sakurai would design Isaac. Isaac's got a plentiful bag of tricks, so who knows what creative moves Sakurai will pull out of it. I know most of us were surprised when Isaac used Move of all things as his assist trophy ability.

Would Isaac stick mostly to venus psynergy, or would he end up controlling all of the elements? He has a bunch of utility abilities like halt, cloak, hover, lash and teleport he could use, too. Would Sakurai try to integrate djinn or summons? What representation of Isaac could be considered "complete"?
I would love to see Isaac go completely Avatar on us and use all the elements, it's not all about Venus you know, it's about all four elements and I'd like to see all of them represented, besides, Ness and Lucas use moves that are used by characters in their parties, so I think Isaac should do the same.

With that said Down B should be Eruption or Pyroclasm, yes I like Mars Psynergy.

Not sure about the other moves though.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Been replaying Golden Sun and it reminded me of so many great moves.

I'd love to see Isaac use Gaia like a reverse thunder (coming up from the ground)

TeamFlareZakk

Been replaying Golden Sun and it reminded me of so many great moves.

I'd love to see Isaac use Gaia like a reverse thunder (coming up from the ground)
The Gaia series actually was my favorite Venus Psynergy, it's like Pyroclasm, Eruption, Volcano, except it's the Venus element, and like Menardi said, Venus and Mars share a symbolic relationship.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

From the way Sakurai works, I imagine it would heavily stick to how battles work in GS. I expected to see Djinn there. I would love to see all the elements, but I think Venus psynergy being solely represented most likely. So sometype a mix between using djinn or choosing to solely use psyenergy and physical attacks.

A summon would be his Final Smash.

TeamFlareZakk

I would say probably Psynergy and sword unleashes, the only Djinn attack I can see is Flint or Echo since they were Isaac and Felix's first Djinn, making them the most iconic Djinn in the series.

I don't care what his final smash is, as long as Megiddo is somewhere in his moveset.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman

-Sakurai

OK back to Isaac.
No offense but I would be quite hurt if Saki made it in because of bias (especially if Isaac and Starfy to a lesser extent aren't in)...thankfully I don't think Sakurai works like this anyways. Keep in mind I'm not saying Sin and Punishment doesn't have its own merits but it would kind of be a kick in the face if Golden Sun, which not only has 1 more title and is arguably more popular (based on sales) and also was released worldwide in all initial releases was passed over unfairly.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
I can see Isaac using other psyenergies from his partners, just like Ness uses PK Thunder/Fire/Starstorm from Paula and Poo.

Top Bottom