• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I thought it was outright confirmed that the ATs would be different between versions.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought it was outright confirmed that the ATs would be different between versions.
Sakurai said that the AT's would be "mostly" the same. Implying there would be some difference, but it was never mentioned whether there'd be more AT's in one version or just some AT's may work slightly different.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Sakurai said that the AT's would be "mostly" the same. Implying there would be some difference, but it was never mentioned whether there'd be more AT's in one version or just some AT's may work slightly different.
Well one simple different you can find is, they run 60 FPS.

But other more difficult that Ashley from Warioware can turn her hair white when she use is own power in the Wii U, but, on the 3DS she cannot.

After all I think were gonna know everysingle assist trophy in november 21. I can sense.
I don't have idea neither how Isaac gonna swing that sword... Especially in the air...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Is there anybody notable left breaking the embargo?

I'd imagine we'll start getting leaks closer than the 21st. Somebody somewhere is bound to get an early copy and not be under any NDA.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if there were exclusive ATs I'd think Sakurai would've bothered showing at least one off by now.

I mean it would count as an extra feature on the Wii U version, which they'd want to emphasize in promotion.

I stand by not thinking there are any.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Thus Isaac still has a great chance :)

Him not being an AT would be for the best. Trophies can be upgraded to playable characters like Mewtwo. The same cannot be said for ATs in Smash 4 itself. Isaac deserves the Little Mac treatment, he really does!

Here is my obligatory statement :p

Isaac for Smash 4!

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
ISAAC JOIN THE BATTLE, i wait for this moment. pls sakurai believe that you can hear our hype :D

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
One of those is defiantly for Mii fighters, leaving us with 5 + Mewtwo. I would take a guess on it looking something like this (really asides from Mewtwo and Miis any of those squares could be anyone (unless they were Waluigi'd, Chrom'd or Ridley'd) and go anywhere. In fact Mewtwo's location is hardly set in stone either)
View attachment 29418
unless they make them work, i doubt ice climbers will be back. metroid should get another newcomer, but dammit sakurai failed with ridley. overall i like the way this roster looks here with the added DLC. 56 slots, with 57 characters. not bad.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Thinking over reasons to remove Isaac as AT from the 3DS version: Golden Sun stage with Isaac as a stage boss, similar to Ridley?

Not at all what I want, but would be more representation for the series, and would explain his absence on the handheld (though not the total absence of Golden Sun content).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Thinking over reasons to remove Isaac as AT from the 3DS version: Golden Sun stage with Isaac as a stage boss, similar to Ridley?

Not at all what I want, but would be more representation for the series, and would explain his absence on the handheld (though not the total absence of Golden Sun content).
Lol, Isaac as a stage boss. Lol! Isaac makes no sense as a stage boss. If there's a GS stage, it was implemented with the intention of adding a GS character as well, but they couldn't get said GS character done in time, so said character (most likely Isaac) was postponed. Of course, if that was the case, they would've just postponed the stage itself as well.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Isaac as a stage boss?

Wow that was an epic idea :p

Being serious, Saturos and Menardi would make more sense as stage bosses if you want some humanoid non-playable stage boss. Plus they could always fuse after a set amount of time when the lighthouse is lit. This is obviously the Venus Lighthouse stage, the awesome lighthouse in GS!

Isaac and a GS stage is going to be DLC most probably rather than hidden content. No trophy, no AT (this is good), and only music can only point to one thing: ------------------> playable Isaac in SSB4! (as DLC)

I don't think they will make a GS stage just to make the best playable candidate of the series into a boss!

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
unless they make them work, i doubt ice climbers will be back. metroid should get another newcomer, but dammit sakurai failed with ridley. overall i like the way this roster looks here with the added DLC. 56 slots, with 57 characters. not bad.
In an interview, Sakurai stated that the Ice Climbers were last minute cuts as they worked perfectly on the Wii U but would have need extra development time for the 3DS but he felt that it didn't make sense to delay the game for them as they have no future games plans.

The fact that he says they needed more development time tells me that Ice Climbers are a near safe bet for possible DLC. If I could get both Isaac and the Ice Climbers as DLC...I'll be one happy Smasher!

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
In an interview, Sakurai stated that the Ice Climbers were last minute cuts as they worked perfectly on the Wii U but would have need extra development time for the 3DS but he felt that it didn't make sense to delay the game for them as they have no future games plans.

The fact that he says they needed more development time tells me that Ice Climbers are a near safe bet for possible DLC. If I could get both Isaac and the Ice Climbers as DLC...I'll be one happy Smasher!
No, he said that technical limitations kept them out, and that they weren't a high priority due to the unlikelihood of getting any upcoming games.
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...bros-wii-u3ds-and-more-in-new-famitsu-column/

Nothing about that indicates they're still going to be worked on, and even if they are, again nothing indicates the technical limitations that couldn't be overcome in over two years of development will be overcome now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If we ever get a Venus Lighthouse Remix, I want it to be like this one or similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGaxaHVJRdY

Most likely posted before, but hey, good to have a reminder of this awesome song, right?
Lol, I just found that song recently and I've got it in an OCRemix playlist! Listening to that song just reminds me how epic the original one was as well, and how it truly felt like the climax of the game. And it also reminds me how much I want GS4 to be announced... :D

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
If we ever get a Venus Lighthouse Remix, I want it to be like this one or similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGaxaHVJRdY

Most likely posted before, but hey, good to have a reminder of this awesome song, right?
Hey thanks for the link! Never too less GS remixes out there! Nice, I loved it, But I do love every theme Venus Lighthouse.

Although that Harmony of Heroes video that @NonSpecificGuy (Or GivesEveryoneLikesGuy :p) posted had a pretty good version of some GS music!

We need more GS music and fanart!

I long for GS 4! It would help achieve everything awesome, plus almost guarantee Isaac a playable appearance in Smash.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, it's the second part of that which makes me fear for Isaac :( If the Ice Climbers, characters who already appeared in both Melee and Brawl, and were even planned and worked on for this game, were cut due to a lack of a future, doesn't that hurt Isaac's chances more than help them? Granted, yes, the Ice Climbers were also largely cut due to technical issues with the 3DS, but now that we know that Sakurai is also considering the future trajectories for series... Golden Sun isn't really primed for a playable character unless we get news of a new game asap.

I would say this goes double for DLC characters, too. The whole point of DLC is to revive interest in a game and appeal to tons of people. Isaac could have conceivably snuck aboard along with other new on-disc characters and people wouldn't have raised too much of a collective eyebrow, but with DLC... that seems better reserved for characters with lots of widespread appeal, like Mewtwo. Of course Isaac would hugely appeal to all of us here, but for the average Smash player, I think the reaction would be more along the lines of "...Who? The hand guy from Brawl? Why would I pay x-amount-of-money for him?"

Point is, somebody from what is, until further notice, a dead/suspended series, just doesn't make a ton of sense as a DLC choice unless they're a big name. I'm not saying it's completely inconceivable, but... I just feel like the odds are stacked against him worse than ever before here. Isaac is no Mewtwo, it sucks, but it's true D:

At this point, I'm kind of honestly hoping for him to show up as an AT, because I have this horrible gut feeling that he's been cut entirely, and that would just crush me D8

Or maybe I will be taken by surprise and a new Golden Sun will be announced and Isaac will show up as DLC and everything will be puppies and kittens and rainbows forever... I can hope! :urg: Come on, Camelot, get to work!

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Or maybe I will be taken by surprise and a new Golden Sun will be announced and Isaac will show up as DLC and everything will be puppies and kittens and rainbows forever... I can hope! :urg: Come on, Camelot, get to work!
I would take the puppies, kittens and rainbows forever route, thank you very much :p

Don't worry so much! Isaac will make it in. Plus all DLC does not have to be paid. And they would probably release the characters in packs. Like they gave us Link as the big Zelda mascot in MK8 and then tacked on Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach.... Plus the courses.

Isaac could maybe come with a slightly more popular character like K. Rool with appealing stages like Venus Lighthouse and something from DK (sorry not much informed here) to have more appeal in a DLC pack!

Come on @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman , add a K. Rool stage for helping my case. You are the biggest K. Rool fan in this thread as far as I know.

Isaac still has a good chance, no giving up now. We have already come so far!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unfortunately, it's the second part of that which makes me fear for Isaac :( If the Ice Climbers, characters who already appeared in both Melee and Brawl, and were even planned and worked on for this game, were cut due to a lack of a future, doesn't that hurt Isaac's chances more than help them? Granted, yes, the Ice Climbers were also largely cut due to technical issues with the 3DS, but now that we know that Sakurai is also considering the future trajectories for series... Golden Sun isn't really primed for a playable character unless we get news of a new game asap.

I would say this goes double for DLC characters, too. The whole point of DLC is to revive interest in a game and appeal to tons of people. Isaac could have conceivably snuck aboard along with other new on-disc characters and people wouldn't have raised too much of a collective eyebrow, but with DLC... that seems better reserved for characters with lots of widespread appeal, like Mewtwo. Of course Isaac would hugely appeal to all of us here, but for the average Smash player, I think the reaction would be more along the lines of "...Who? The hand guy from Brawl? Why would I pay x-amount-of-money for him?"

Point is, somebody from what is, until further notice, a dead/suspended series, just doesn't make a ton of sense as a DLC choice unless they're a big name. I'm not saying it's completely inconceivable, but... I just feel like the odds are stacked against him worse than ever before here. Isaac is no Mewtwo, it sucks, but it's true D:

At this point, I'm kind of honestly hoping for him to show up as an AT, because I have this horrible gut feeling that he's been cut entirely, and that would just crush me D8

See, here's the problem with that logic. Yes, people argue that about Golden Sun, but... Ice Climbers haven't had a game in 20 years. Golden Sun's last game was only 4 years ago. Seriously, Dark Dawn wasn't THAT long ago.

Similarly, DLC also can help to promote franchises that have a good history, but haven't had things going on recently. Or characters. I blatantly believe King K. Rool, for example, will be coming back in the next few DK games. Similarly, Camelot has to be working on something right now, and they're done with the Mario sports games this generation. Golden Sun is the most logical thing they could be working on run now (other than a new IP, of which GS is the only IP they ever created as far as I'm aware).

Comparatively, numerous other franchises are in a far worse place than GS is right now. Dark Dawn didn't do that well, but the first two games did extremely well. If you compare that to Fire Emblem, FE never has done that well. When it was first created the games didn't need to sell that well to make a profit, but that's not the case anymore. Awakening is the first FE game to ever break a million copies sold. Advance Wars and Custom Robo have never gotten that high either, and those are the next-two talked about new franchises after GS.

In fact, GS1/2 both sold better than Xenoblade Chronicles, and Xenoblade is now getting a remake of the first game and a sequel. Golden Sun is, I repeat, in the best position of all possible new franchises.

Staarih

Smash Master
Luckily Golden Sun has Dark Dawn released in 2010 to counter any recency-issues or "not having a future", unlike the Ice Climbers with one game released ages ago. I haven't played Dark Dawn yet but I doubt it will remain the last of the series, at least I hope not. And I personally think the "not having a future"-comment about the Ice Climbers was more of a way to soften the news, the main issue was definitely technical limitations, which is why I'm quite confident that they'll return if the problems are fixed. Isaac doesn't really have either technical difficulties nor a lack of future (if that even is a thing to consider) so I'm still as confident as ever of him to make it as playable.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Luckily Golden Sun has Dark Dawn released in 2010 to counter any recency-issues or "not having a future", unlike the Ice Climbers with one game released ages ago. I haven't played Dark Dawn yet but I doubt it will remain the last of the series, at least I hope not. And I personally think the "not having a future"-comment about the Ice Climbers was more of a way to soften the news, the main issue was definitely technical limitations, which is why I'm quite confident that they'll return if the problems are fixed. Isaac doesn't really have either technical difficulties nor a lack of future (if that even is a thing to consider) so I'm still as confident as ever of him to make it as playable.
Yeah, honestly, the whole argument against GS for this stupidity is flawed. GS IS recent, because its last game was in 2010. Ice Climber was on the NES, and Nintendo had no intention of continuing the franchise. That's a far cry from a franchise that's last game was in 2010, even if it did receive a lukewarm reception.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
I believe Isaac will be a future DLC candidate. He could even be a free patch character that we would got once the Wii U version is released (Sakurai would show us a newcomer trailer with Isaac).

Also, as for the "franchise doesn't seem to be having a new installment" argument, we can't properly follow this logic, because otherwise, Duck Hunt Duo wouldn't be in the game. Sometimes Sakurai's words are just contradictory, so the best we can do is wait and hope for Isaac as a playable.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe Isaac will be a future DLC candidate. He could even be a free patch character that we would got once the Wii U version is released (Sakurai would show us a newcomer trailer with Isaac).

Also, as for the "franchise doesn't seem to be having a new installment" argument, we can't properly follow this logic, because otherwise, Duck Hunt Duo wouldn't be in the game. Sometimes Sakurai's words are just contradictory, so the best we can do is wait and hope for Isaac as a playable.
I think its plausible. Fact is, I highly doubt Sakurai got "every character" he planned to include in the game done. He probably re-prioritized some characters because they hadn't appeared recently or who didn't have a game coming in the near future. Ice Climbers previously had higher priority but had serious problems getting them working. I'd be shocked and surprised if they didn't start other characters they had to cut from the default game, or postpone to a patch. He didn't announce any characters to be released later, but he doesn't need to. Especially if its a newcomer.

Mewtwo, for example, likely wasn't given high priority because Sakurai was hesitant to spend so much effort to completely recreate a character who was already playable in Smash before. He probably wanted to focus on other new characters first, hence why Mewtwo is being saved for DLC instead.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Comparatively, numerous other franchises are in a far worse place than GS is right now. Dark Dawn didn't do that well, but the first two games did extremely well. If you compare that to Fire Emblem, FE never has done that well. When it was first created the games didn't need to sell that well to make a profit, but that's not the case anymore. Awakening is the first FE game to ever break a million copies sold. Advance Wars and Custom Robo have never gotten that high either, and those are the next-two talked about new franchises after GS.

In fact, GS1/2 both sold better than Xenoblade Chronicles, and Xenoblade is now getting a remake of the first game and a sequel. Golden Sun is, I repeat, in the best position of all possible new franchises.
Isaac is just in a weird position. We don't know why, but Golden Sun has not gotten the treatment it deserved. As you said about Fire Emblem, it has not sold over a million before Awakening. GS1 did break the 1 million mark as far as I know and I think the 2nd one did as well. Although the 3rd one was not that great, people are sometimes all too quick to write off Isaac as insignificant whereas if you look at sales alone, it is not. Fire Emblem mainly has the distinction of running longer as a series and having playable characters from before.

Xenoblade as you mentioned has the advantage of being new and it is often recognized as one of the best RPGs of the previous Wii/PS3/X360 generation.

GS just hasn't been looked at by Nintendo enough or Camelot hasn't pushed it hard enough. Most likely, it is a combination of both.

Golden Sun definitely has a future, it is Nintendo's responsibility to recognize it as well as the demand for it by fans which is still not insignificant. Obviously if they wait for 7 years like they did for Dark Dawn, then GS won't be able to rise unless the next game is ABSOLUTELY mindblowing!

Anyway, the minimum time we can get GS4 now is 2016 considering a 2 year development period, IF Camelot started this year. In the end, I want a GS4 so bad!!! Don't care if it is on 3DS or Wii U, get working on it Nintendo!

Also as @ JohnnySparkxs JohnnySparkxs said, Sakurai is contradictory. Like the Duck Hunt example. And I am not exactly sure but I think he had mentioned having less clones. Ganondorf is still clone-y, Dark Pit is a Pallete Swap and we also got Lucina. Plus he had mentioned villager as unlikely to be implemented during Brawl, and here we are with Villager being the first reveal!!!

Plus we can always get free DLC.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
About Ice Climbers, I've been thinking and they maybe exclusive patch to the new 3DS. I don't see Nintendo doing it, but since the new 3DS for what I've seen has a higher performance (the difference in Smash loading is astounding) as well as it has CPU with more AI, so while the Ice Climbers may be too much for the current 3DS to run, I can see them running perfectly on the new 3DS.

On-topic: Isaac for Smash 4 :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

You know, I don't really get this assumption that DLC characters are going to be primarily targeted towards the "casuals", considering that ever other expansion/DLC for other fighting games include content and characters specifically targeted towards the hardcore fans of said franchise whilst still being able to be successful in that regard. Heck, Super Street Fighter 4, a disk-only expansion to Street Fighter 4 that that only included 10 characters, all of which were obscure to the general audience with the fan-favourites only appealing to said hardcore Street Fighter fans, managed to sell almost 2 million copies, going beyond the sales expectations.

Whether or not Isaac is obscure to the general audience means absolutely nothing as not only are the general audience already satisfied with the base game due to the inclusion of characters and features that appeals to them such as Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, etc. but they aren't even the people who are actively demanding DLC characters in the first place, so there is no reason to make DLC characters banking on them appealing to the type of people that are precisely unlikely to buy DLC in the first place. Other fighting game companies knows this and thus makes DLC characters that includes characters based on hardcore fan popularity only, and I don't expect the dev team for this game to operate differently.

In short, Isaac being recognizable to the general audience means squat considering they aren't the target audience for fighting game DLC. Among the hardcore fanbase, the target for character DLC and the people who actually demands DLC, Isaac has consistently been among the top 10 character requests for Smash. Keep in mind that many of these polls are taken across many different sites, so it's not just SmashBoards that is taken into account.

If Isaac won't be in as DLC, it will not be due to obscurity among the casuals.[/quote]

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Any news on Wii U assist trophies and Trophies? Has Isaac appeared at all?
If there was news, we'd definitely be talking about it. The only news was a rumor that popped up shortly after the release copies came out, but it was proven false hours later.

Isaac is just in a weird position. We don't know why, but Golden Sun has not gotten the treatment it deserved. As you said about Fire Emblem, it has not sold over a million before Awakening. GS1 did break the 1 million mark as far as I know and I think the 2nd one did as well. Although the 3rd one was not that great, people are sometimes all too quick to write off Isaac as insignificant whereas if you look at sales alone, it is not. Fire Emblem mainly has the distinction of running longer as a series and having playable characters from before.

Xenoblade as you mentioned has the advantage of being new and it is often recognized as one of the best RPGs of the previous Wii/PS3/X360 generation.

GS just hasn't been looked at by Nintendo enough or Camelot hasn't pushed it hard enough. Most likely, it is a combination of both.

Golden Sun definitely has a future, it is Nintendo's responsibility to recognize it as well as the demand for it by fans which is still not insignificant. Obviously if they wait for 7 years like they did for Dark Dawn, then GS won't be able to rise unless the next game is ABSOLUTELY mindblowing!

Anyway, the minimum time we can get GS4 now is 2016 considering a 2 year development period, IF Camelot started this year. In the end, I want a GS4 so bad!!! Don't care if it is on 3DS or Wii U, get working on it Nintendo!

Also as @ JohnnySparkxs JohnnySparkxs said, Sakurai is contradictory. Like the Duck Hunt example. And I am not exactly sure but I think he had mentioned having less clones. Ganondorf is still clone-y, Dark Pit is a Pallete Swap and we also got Lucina. Plus he had mentioned villager as unlikely to be implemented during Brawl, and here we are with Villager being the first reveal!!!

Plus we can always get free DLC.
GS1 probably topped around 1.5 million. Thing is, the numbers listed on Wikipedia are ONLY from the Japanese/North American sales numbers. So we don't know exactly what they sold, we just know that GS1 is 1m for sure and GS2 sold 700k for sure. However, the European numbers probably pushed that over 1m.

You know, I don't really get this assumption that DLC characters are going to be primarily targeted towards the "casuals", considering that ever other expansion/DLC for other fighting games include content and characters specifically targeted towards the hardcore fans of said franchise whilst still being able to be successful in that regard. Heck, Super Street Fighter 4, a disk-only expansion to Street Fighter 4 that that only included 10 characters, all of which were obscure to the general audience with the fan-favourites only appealing to said hardcore Street Fighter fans, managed to sell almost 2 million copies, going beyond the sales expectations.

Whether or not Isaac is obscure to the general audience means absolutely nothing as not only are the general audience already satisfied with the base game due to the inclusion of characters and features that appeals to them such as Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, etc. but they aren't even the people who are actively demanding DLC characters in the first place, so there is no reason to make DLC characters banking on them appealing to the type of people that are precisely unlikely to buy DLC in the first place. Other fighting game companies knows this and thus makes DLC characters that includes characters based on hardcore fan popularity only, and I don't expect the dev team for this game to operate differently.

In short, Isaac being recognizable to the general audience means squat considering they aren't the target audience for fighting game DLC. Among the hardcore fanbase, the target for character DLC and the people who actually demands DLC, Isaac has consistently been among the top 10 character requests for Smash. Keep in mind that many of these polls are taken across many different sites, so it's not just SmashBoards that is taken into account.

If Isaac won't be in as DLC, it will not be due to obscurity among the casuals.
I agree, DLC would be aimed more at hardcore players, since they'd be the ones most likely to buy the content. Both hardcore and competitive players (well, competitive players are hardcore, but not all hardcore players are competitive). Casuals will just get in for the characters in-game by default, hence why we've got characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Villager.

EDIT: In response to your comment about Isaac being consistently among the Top 10 character requests for Smash...

I'd have to say that at this point, King K. Rool and Isaac are literally the #1 and #2 most wanted Smash Bros. characters. Which is funny because they're exactly my top two most wanted, in that order.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hey guys, I have never played a Golden Sun game in my life, but I believe that Isaac deserves to be in Smash. Have my support.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I know that Golden Sun is one of Nintendo's best RPGs, plus he is a very long time and wanted character.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I have never played a Golden Sun game in my life, but I believe that Isaac deserves to be in Smash. Have my support.
Welcome, always good to see a fellow Isaac supporter.

If you own a Wii U, which I'm considering you do, since you have King Dedede on your Wii U main section, I would suggest you to buy the Golden Sun 1 for the Virtual Boy, if you like RPGs, you won't regret it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Welcome, always good to see a fellow Isaac supporter.

If you own a Wii U, which I'm considering you do, since you have King Dedede on your Wii U main section, I would suggest you to buy the Golden Sun 1 for the Virtual Boy, if you like RPGs, you won't regret it.
As a huge RPG fan myself long before I even heard of Golden Sun I can attest to this. Golden Sun is awesome, one of the best RPG's of all time. It heavily resembles my favorite RPG of all time, Lufia II. Since the Lufia series is likely to never get picked up again, Golden Sun is probably the best I can get to it.

EDIT: Btw guys, idiot as I am, I did not realize something.

I've been thinking for a while about how when I get Wii U I want to download and play Lost Age (well, assuming its out by then), and I was wondering how I'd get my hands on Golden Sun: Dark Dawn so I can play that once my wife gets a :new: 3DS. Well, turns out...

...my wife has had Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for months now. I think she got it at half price books or something like that. So yeah, we've actually got Dark Dawn. Even if we don't get a new 3DS, she does have her brother's old DS so we could still play it. Of course I'll just make sure that I follow a guide so I don't miss anything.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well, hello! Welcome to our humble abode.... for all Isaac fans! Plus supporters who think Isaac would be great for Smash. If you like RPGs I would definitely recommend Golden Sun to you! The first 2 games are on GBA and out on Wii U VC (2nd one soon to be released) and the 3rd one is on DS!

I hope you like them!

As a huge RPG fan myself long before I even heard of Golden Sun I can attest to this. Golden Sun is awesome, one of the best RPG's of all time. It heavily resembles my favorite RPG of all time, Lufia II. Since the Lufia series is likely to never get picked up again, Golden Sun is probably the best I can get to it.
You keep mentioning Lufia II as very similar to Golden Sun. Since Golden Sun is my favourite RPG of all time, I must try this Lufia out if it is so similar. Guess I will try out your favourite RPG :)

I've been thinking for a while about how when I get Wii U I want to download and play Lost Age (well, assuming its out by then), and I was wondering how I'd get my hands on Golden Sun: Dark Dawn so I can play that once my wife gets a :new: 3DS. Well, turns out...

...my wife has had Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for months now. I think she got it at half price books or something like that. So yeah, we've actually got Dark Dawn. Even if we don't get a new 3DS, she does have her brother's old DS so we could still play it. Of course I'll just make sure that I follow a guide so I don't miss anything.
Heh Heh. So you had it all along? Well enjoy it! Preferably after Lost Age.

I guess the guide will be most useful for those pesky points of no returns. There are Djinns and summons you can miss, and some are very easily missable with no clues to their whereabouts. Especially one pesky summon whose way of retrieval is only fleetingly mentioned.

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
my life golden sun so thats why need to put into smash.
finish

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, hello! Welcome to our humble abode.... for all Isaac fans! Plus supporters who think Isaac would be great for Smash. If you like RPGs I would definitely recommend Golden Sun to you! The first 2 games are on GBA and out on Wii U VC (2nd one soon to be released) and the 3rd one is on DS!

I hope you like them!

You keep mentioning Lufia II as very similar to Golden Sun. Since Golden Sun is my favourite RPG of all time, I must try this Lufia out if it is so similar. Guess I will try out your favourite RPG :)

Heh Heh. So you had it all along? Well enjoy it! Preferably after Lost Age.

I guess the guide will be most useful for those pesky points of no returns. There are Djinns and summons you can miss, and some are very easily missable with no clues to their whereabouts. Especially one pesky summon whose way of retrieval is only fleetingly mentioned.
Lufia II I find similar to Golden Sun due to the puzzle solving mechanics. There are numerous differences, naturally. The main reason I compare them is due to the usage of heavy puzzle solving. In Lufia II, you use a variety of tools you find throughout the game to solve puzzles, while in Golden Sun, you use Psynergy of course. Puzzle solving is semi-common in RPG's, but most RPG's just tend not to have much puzzle solving and its more of a grind. GS and Lufia II both have puzzle solving in every dungeon. Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (a remake of Lufia II) and Ruins of Lore are also heavily puzzle-solving based, but the other two Lufia games are not.

The battles are both turn-based, and character actions basically work the same in both games. You pick your party's attacks and they are carried out based on the Agility stat, allies and enemies alike.

The differences end there for the most part. Golden Sun uses Psynergy, and the Psynergy can attack either one enemy or multiple enemies, with the damage decreasing the further out from the target. In Lufia II, magic can be set to be used only on the allies or enemies you want (you can specify the exact enemies/allies, or just do all or one). Some spells can only be used on one ally or enemy, but otherwise, you can specify the exact enemies/allies to attack (notably, this is the only Lufia game to do this).

There's nothing like Djinn in Lufia II, either. There is a system called IP, though, where the more damage your party takes, the more the meter fills up. Your character's equipment can have different IP moves, which require a specific amount of IP to use (with the best attacks using 100%). So equipment needs to be configured based on both the IP and the damage.

I guess its semi-similar to the special abilities GS weapons/armor allows, but it can be used at any point (as long as you have the IP) and isn't random.

There's also a 99-floor randomized dungeon that's extremely difficult which holds powerful items in it you can unlock to make your party completely OP.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Lufia II I find similar to Golden Sun due to the puzzle solving mechanics. There are numerous differences, naturally. The main reason I compare them is due to the usage of heavy puzzle solving. In Lufia II, you use a variety of tools you find throughout the game to solve puzzles, while in Golden Sun, you use Psynergy of course. Puzzle solving is semi-common in RPG's, but most RPG's just tend not to have much puzzle solving and its more of a grind. GS and Lufia II both have puzzle solving in every dungeon. Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (a remake of Lufia II) and Ruins of Lore are also heavily puzzle-solving based, but the other two Lufia games are not.

The battles are both turn-based, and character actions basically work the same in both games. You pick your party's attacks and they are carried out based on the Agility stat, allies and enemies alike.

The differences end there for the most part. Golden Sun uses Psynergy, and the Psynergy can attack either one enemy or multiple enemies, with the damage decreasing the further out from the target. In Lufia II, magic can be set to be used only on the allies or enemies you want (you can specify the exact enemies/allies, or just do all or one). Some spells can only be used on one ally or enemy, but otherwise, you can specify the exact enemies/allies to attack (notably, this is the only Lufia game to do this).

There's nothing like Djinn in Lufia II, either. There is a system called IP, though, where the more damage your party takes, the more the meter fills up. Your character's equipment can have different IP moves, which require a specific amount of IP to use (with the best attacks using 100%). So equipment needs to be configured based on both the IP and the damage.

I guess its semi-similar to the special abilities GS weapons/armor allows, but it can be used at any point (as long as you have the IP) and isn't random.

There's also a 99-floor randomized dungeon that's extremely difficult which holds powerful items in it you can unlock to make your party completely OP.
Wow you surely love the game. Thanks for the heads up, useful info, sounds interesting.

So which one should I start with it?

Top Bottom