• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ultimate the Last Game?

NintenisKingten

Smash Rookie
I've Been Wondering This since DLC Wave 2 was Announced, Given how big the roster is now, It's honestly up in the now if there's gonna be next smash, seeing as not even Sakurai knows if he's gonna make one, and seeing as he's now retired, where does the smash series go from now? And Will there be another Entry

:4alph:Please Disscuss With Me Below! :4alph:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel there's only two places Smash can go from Ultimate
  1. A proper "gaming history celebration", cut out a majority of the 1st party cast + Banjo and try to get as many uber-important gaming characters as possible, including from Sony. I don't see this as likely though, since it's not something Smash fans want and it's goals would be delegitimized if it weren't a multiplatform release.
  2. Shifting more to focus on competitive play, I think this is very possible - some elements of Ultimate were hinted at late into 3DS/Wii U's DLC (specifically the universal songlists) and Ultimate's later stages have a very heavy comp. element to them; Nintendo seems to be softening on comp play; competitive players are the onky market SSBU didn't really appeal to; and pretty much every platform fighter is going down this path now which I think Nintendo are at least aware of.

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm sure there will be another entry in the series. It's almost always been one of Nintendo's best-selling titles (with Ultimate being Smash's #1, sitting at 28 million copies sold), so that alone gives them motivation to keep making Smash games.

It's more of a question of what exactly are they going to do with the next one, how it will turn out

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I feel like the only viable route is to return to the Nintendo History Roots and do a Nintendo only reboot. Make everyone from scratch like Tekken 7 and make a sequel to Melee. Though if an Ultimate Deluxe happens I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

FazDude

Smash Master
I highly doubt Ultimate is gonna be the last Smash. It might not be for a while, Sakurai might not be the one directing it, but we will eventually get a Smash 6. It's one of Nintendo's biggest and most hyped franchises, and they're not gonna be throwing that away so easily.

That said, I think it's for the best if Smash 6 be a semi-reboot of the franchise. Cut down the cast drastically, update everyone's moveset to be the best it can be while still having elements which cater to Smash veteran players, refine the gameplay, etc. Smash 6 will not be able to best Ultimate in terms of raw content, so why not try and best it in the quality of content it does have?

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch 2 (name pending) in 2025, or something like that, would be my guess. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold really well despite only being an enhanced port of Mario Kart 8. It seems plausible that they'd released an enhanced port for the next Nintendo console. If we get a brand new game I'd expect them to drop a bunch of characters though.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Smash is extremely successful, Nintendo isn't just gonna stop. They're probably gonna keep going with smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've Been Wondering This since DLC Wave 2 was Announced, Given how big the roster is now, It's honestly up in the now if there's gonna be next smash, seeing as not even Sakurai knows if he's gonna make one, and seeing as he's now retired, where does the smash series go from now? And Will there be another Entry

:4alph:Please Disscuss With Me Below! :4alph:
Can you provide a source on that one? As far as I know, Sakurai made to statements about retiring.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I still think Franchise Specific Smash games would be a great idea!
I would love To fight with Link and Darunia against an Octorock and Dodongo!
If not maybe LEGO SMASH
They have consitently more than 300 Characters!

I think Ultimate would be the last game that was directed by Sakurai, but overall Ultimate might not be last game due to fact that the game is very successful and phenomenal given the fact that it's a biggest gaming crossover of all time.

And if we got another Smash entry, then we expect to see a lot of cuts from the Roster like removal of Banjo-Kazooie, Piranha Plant and more, leaving less than 50 or 40.

NintenisKingten

Smash Rookie
Can you provide a source on that one? As far as I know, Sakurai made to statements about retiring.
Yeahhhh i accidently misrenembered sakurai retiring in the sora direct for for some godforsaken reason.

Whoops!

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I'm sure there will definitely be more SSB games on future Nintendo systems. The series is just so popular.

I hope that they don't go the reboot route though. I'd hope that they can just carry everything over and add new stuff from there.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
fundamentally i do see SSBU as the last game or a deluxe version as the last game. I do see a potential for another Fighter's pass featuring 4 more characters.

Top Bottom