• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is there a point?

HxCKoski

Smash Apprentice
what is the point of maining a character lower on the tier list, when fate has already doomed you from any chance of winning a tourny? am i wrong? i havent picked a main yet, but i was looking towards bowser or samus, but it doesnt seem like theres a point. neither one of those characters have yet to win a tourny, so am i just setting my self up for am epic fail smash career?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The problem with a Low Tier is the fact that you will have to use secondary characters to cover the Low Tier's bad matchups, or, alternatively, be very good with your character.

Bowser, by the way, is not Low Tier - he's Mid Tier, and he doesn't win tournaments because noone plays him.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I main Bowser. Pretty much every matchup of Bowser is an uphill battle. He's a great character, he just suffers from the fact that Dedede's and Ice Climber's Infinite is pretty much blocking him. If you find a character to deal with Dedede and the Ice Climbers, you should be good. Check out the Bowser boards for more information, we are discussing Secondaries there, as well.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Spadefox why have you not answeredt he OP's question? D:

*Ahem*

...Nobody can tell you the answer but yourself, it's up to you whether you want to try to play low tiers or just take the path that would probably be a bit more realistic... assuming the said character fits your playstyle of course.

...Wait, is it possible people can suck with Meta Knight...?!

What are you still doing playing *insert non MK character here* for God's sake?!

!

fZk

Smash Lord
Why are there so many threads about picking a main. In all honesty nobody cares who anybody mains, at least I don't. Just pick a character you enjoy or with one you think you're going to be successful with, depending on your priorities with the game. Hopefully one with both attributes. That way you'll have a happy smashing career.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Spadefox why have you not answeredt he OP's question? D:

*Ahem*

...Nobody can tell you the answer but yourself, it's up to you whether you want to try to play low tiers or just take the path that would probably be a bit more realistic... assuming the said character fits your playstyle of course.

...Wait, is it possible people can suck with Meta Knight...?!

What are you still doing playing *insert non MK character here* for God's sake?!

!
Haha. Kinzer never fails to amuse me.

I just was giving him the technical information about Low Tiers. He asked further about Bowser, so I told him about Bowser. We can use every player we can get, anyway. =P

Anyway, what Kinzer says is true: If you want to play a Low Tier, then do so. Eventually, you are either so good that you can keep up with people who play High Tiers, or alternatively, you will do what I suggested and find secondaries to help your harder matchups out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
This isn't exactly a "help me pick my main pl0x" thread, it is a question, so I just thought I would be nice and answer it, there's no harm in that.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
what is the point of maining a character lower on the tier list, when fate has already doomed you from any chance of winning a tourny? am i wrong? i havent picked a main yet, but i was looking towards bowser or samus, but it doesnt seem like theres a point. neither one of those characters have yet to win a tourny, so am i just setting my self up for am epic fail smash career?
Matchups matter more then the tier list. The list is just a general showing of how the character would do on average. Also, the lower on the list you get, the more inaccurate it gets. Play a character that feels right and you'll do fine. This is why I main Luigi. He felt right in Melee, he feels right in Brawl, and I'm sure he'd of felt right in SSB had I the honor of playing it.

Also, don't go into something with a "I'm going to lose" attitude. With that, you surely will. ;)

Also, you will enjoy this thread: Best Vids of Each Character.

This will give you a good idea of what a chosen character can do in the hands of a skilled professional. It might show you that Mid to Low tier isn't as bad as the list suggests. Some really crazy things can be done with them. It's just up to you to find out those crazy things. ;)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
There is no point in maining a character that is low on the tier lists. People who "play to win" don't have attachments to specific characters, nor care which character they end up playing - they simply select a character that they like the feel of and are good with. But personal attachment to a character other than optimizing the probability of victory is useless in a competitive community, and will only hold you back.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think it'd be fun maining a low tier character.
I don't, but I've seen people that do, and it looks like they enjoy it.
Not to mention the satisfaction that you'd get beating someone higher on the tier list.

Allied

Smash Master
generally pick what you want

i main kirby
and i use wario for my bad kirby matchups
(mostly for MK)

Its completely up to you tho but just look around
the best advice is pick up the character you like as a primary
and then have 2 - 3 secondaries you like to complement your primary's bad matchups

this only works tho if your not captain falcon XD <3

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Main whoever suits you best or have the most fun with. Don't let top tiers and the phrase "play to win" intimidate you. If you wanna main Bowser, go ahead and be the best d**n Bowser you can be. Hell, maybe you could be the guy responsible for moving Bowser up a couple spots in the next list. It's your world, we're just livin in it...that's what I always say =p

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Some lower teirs have just a few bad/**** matchups against higher teirs that cause many to avoid them, but against the rest of the cast they do well/fine. That or they're simply underplayed

If you find a character to deal with Dedede and the Ice Climbers, you should be good.
ZELDA! Thats what Mr.Eh is doing, I think

Eyada

Smash Apprentice

...Perhaps...

...fun?
It should be noted that having fun and playing to win aren't mutually exclusive.

In fact, playing to win over the long-term more or less demands that you have fun playing at some point.

In an individual tournament match, whether or not you have fun playing your character is irrelevant so long as you win. However, over a long period of time, if you loathe using the character you play, you will eventually get burned out and stop winning. (Or, at the very least, your performance will diminish.)

It is also much easier to maintain the drive to overcome crushing defeats and difficult obstacles in your character's development if you like the character. Hating the character you use makes it much more likely that you will give up in the face of adversity.

So feeling a great deal of affection for your character makes it easy to stay motivated and keep improving, which leads to winning. A great way to develop affection for your character is to have fun while playing. Which means that having fun, in a round-about way, leads to winning.

B!squick

Smash Master
what is the point of maining a character lower on the tier list, when fate has already doomed you from any chance of winning a tourny?
Low tiers can and do win tournies. It's just that higher tiers win more. Though if you're just in it for the monies (not unreasonable), play Meta Knight.

am i wrong?
Yes. The tier list mostly just somewhat repesents the likely hood of winning, it doesn't necessarily mean low tiers are doomed to failure. Captain Falcon wins tournies all the time.

i havent picked a main yet, but i was looking towards bowser or samus, but it doesnt seem like theres a point.
You're obviously leaning towards them because you like playing as them, am I right? Otherwise, no, there would be no point.

neither one of those characters have yet to win a tourny,
Totally untrue.

so am i just setting my self up for am epic fail smash career?
With that attitude, yes. :p

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Just pick who you like, I play Captain Falcon, not because I want to prove a point or something, but because I like him and his playstyle. I also main Ike and Snake because I like them and it happens to be so that I have a decent tourney-viable character set with my secondaries, Link, R.O.B., Lucas and DDD, included. Play who you like:
-If it's a low tier, you should consider to main a higher tier also, to prevent higher tiers ****** you.
-If it's a high tier, good for you, but know the matchups and the trouble they can give you and ALSO consider maining a counter-character for your bad matchups.

That's all, it's not a question about whether or not you play for ''fun'' or ''win'', just play the way you like, but know the consequences for doing so, and don't let the stereotype-thinking casuals/competitives influence you.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i dont have fun with any char thats not top tier XD idk why seriously how is ness and yoshi fun. snake and mk are really cool

but thats just prefrence. oh yea i can win with them too XD

JOE!

Smash Hero
low tiers arent bad at all, alot of them simply have alot of neutrals/slight disadvantages

Yoshi for example, goes even with everyone, has adnvantages on a few, and only has a disadvantage against G&W and Marf, with are both easily winnable

he plays a bit differently than bowser, but can handle IC's with his neutral B...and just the way he is
he can also CG DDD :p

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
Why not main the character you feel most comfortable with, even if they're low on the tier list. What character you main is your choice, and if you want to play the best character, so be it, but you should just play who you enjoy playing as.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
That's such a crazy contradiction.

For the record, i main yoshi because hes the character i do best with, and i like how he plays
Yes for you that would be a contradiction, but you are probably not among the most competitive player.

To be truely competitive, to like a character by the feel of the character at a high level of play, is to like a character because the character itself can do more than other characters.

Metaknight wins because he is consistently effective at what he does, and has more potential than other characters. A competitive player will often play MK because he/she realizes the potential of the character, is aware that MK is stronger than most other characters, and thus selects MK because it is fun to select a character that has more effective options than any other character in a given situation. They enjoy that the character is the best, because it enables them to do so much more than with a character that isn't.

That's how you play to win.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What's the point of living, knowing that your fate is already set in stone, i.e., death? A tier list is not a match-up list. There are a number of reasons for using a low-tier. I, for one, am not a tier-w***e, so I'm not going to be choosing a character like Meta Knight. I don't even like Meta Knight. I like Samus, however, and she's my favorite video game character. That's one reason why I main her. I also main her, due to my history playing as her since SSB64. I don't think I'm quite ready to drop Samus for some other character.

Other reasons are the fact that people see me using a low-tier, and using that low-tier so well. I even received a compliment from someone who mains Snake. (She ***** me, 2-1.) She told me I used Samus as if she was a high-tier character. You don't get a compliment like that if you're using Meta Knight. Not only is it the compliments, but also the satisfaction of beating other higher up characters with a low-tier. Those are some of the reasons why I use a low-tier, regardless of where she is on the tier list. Besides, if necessary, I can transform into Zero Suit Samus.

bobson

Smash Lord
She told me I used Samus as if she was a high-tier character. You don't get a compliment like that if you're using Meta Knight.
I dunno, people tell me all the time that I make them think Metaknight is low tier.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I dunno, people tell me all the time that I make them think Metaknight is low tier.
Try not to take that insult as a compliment next time. They're telling you that you're lousy at using Meta Knight. :laugh: If you're using Mario, however, well...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Diddy was 20th on Ankoku's list last May and like 10-20th on most peoples personal tier lists (before the SBR list was released).

He is now almost third on Ankoku's list.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
What's the point of living, knowing that your fate is already set in stone, i.e., death? A tier list is not a match-up list. There are a number of reasons for using a low-tier. I, for one, am not a tier-w***e, so I'm not going to be choosing a character like Meta Knight. I don't even like Meta Knight. I like Samus, however, and she's my favorite video game character. That's one reason why I main her. I also main her, due to my history playing as her since SSB64. I don't think I'm quite ready to drop Samus for some other character.

Other reasons are the fact that people see me using a low-tier, and using that low-tier so well. I even received a compliment from someone who mains Snake. (She ***** me, 2-1.) She told me I used Samus as if she was a high-tier character. You don't get a compliment like that if you're using Meta Knight. Not only is it the compliments, but also the satisfaction of beating other higher up characters with a low-tier. Those are some of the reasons why I use a low-tier, regardless of where she is on the tier list. Besides, if necessary, I can transform into Zero Suit Samus.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think to take a low tier character and really bring out potential in them is a lot more satisfying than playing top tier all the time. especially when getting compliments from someone who does main a top tier.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Play Brawl+ instead where all characters are viable? (See Smash Workshop for more info.)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't know what SMW is, but if you want to advertise, maybe you should contribute to the topic and then use a sig.

... Still going strong, and getting rid of that temptation to take the easy way out like most other people and then quit shortly after for not having fun...

... I wish I could win money with a bad character.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what SMW is, but if you want to advertise, maybe you should contribute to the topic and then use a sig.

... Still going strong, and getting rid of that temptation to take the easy way out like most other people and then quit shortly after for not having fun...

... I wish I could win money with a bad character.
I'm not advertising. SMW is Super Mario World. I was poking fun at Brawl+ by comparing it to the multitude of Super Mario World hacks out there.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Not you, the guy above. :l

I probably should've made it clear that I was saying two different things, one being a question, the other... a "GTFO" kinda, admittedly...

Edit: Yep, I'm more of a Hedgehog guy myself.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Brawl+, as Ankoku said, is Melee on Lightning mode with none of the actual aspects that made Melee fun. Brawl+ has absolutely no chance of growing beyond a small group of people and will eventually die off.

Top Bottom