• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is there a point?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The Halloween Captain is simply using playing to win in it's most extreme sense, which fortunatly, the majority of players do not apply to their game. Otherwise the most dominating and powerful character would be the only character. He's talking about Yoshi because I believe that's the character that's currently being used for examples. Just as it was Sonic and Bowser before.

When it comes down to it, when advancing to the next round is on the line. You simply have to be better than your opponent, if you want to win. And you and your opponent's character determine how much better.

Those who don't use the best character don't play to win in the most extreme, or "truest" sense. They bring other reasons along with them, such as promotion of a favorite character, or simply enjoyment of winning with it's unique playstyle despite any flaws it may have, or maybe fame for using a character that's looked down upon, or maybe just love for the character itself. All these things take away from the core meaning of playing to win.

In essense, I'm calling everyone who doesn't main MK(whoever's the best) a scrub XD

But you don't have to play to win to.....um...win. People can and do get very far with their own personal ideals. But it's not playing to win in the strictest sense. It's playing to win as long as I do it with Yoshi, or Sonic or Bowser. What have you.

We could just as easily replace character names with: as long as I don't ledgehog, or plank or chain grab. etc.

People need to stop looking at playing to win as right, just and good, and not playing to win as wicked and evil lol.

Games are meant to be fun. And when you're not having fun, it's time to stop playing.

Ismael

Smash Ace
Games are meant to be fun. And when you're not having fun, it's time to stop playing.
I was ALMOST tempted to delete my current sig and sig that quote... almost.

Truer words have never been said. That almost made TOO much sence. XD

On topic: Why do I use a low-teir? Because I want to be good with him, kbye.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people don't play just to win. Sure, winning's nice, but if it means I have to sacrifice my main or adopt overpowered tactics in order to do it... I'd rather lose and enjoy myself.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Responding directly to the OP:

Winning a tournament besides maybe very very very small local gatherings demands more than simply playing a certain character. It demands a winning attitude, some degree of determination, and a mix of raw skill, intelligence, and luck.

If winning is what you're looking to do, then, in all honesty, yes...you are quite doomed. If you want to start winning immediately, you should start playing Meta Knight and either get sick nasty with him or pick up a second character to cover matchups you may not be confident in or good at.

If you want to get better overall, then we're talking about something positive. First, getting better comes from playing the game and loving to play it. Naturally, you'll want to love playing your character also. Now, as you spend more time with your character, you will want to get on the road to mastering your character up to whatever level you find yourself comfortable with (in terms of your Smash career goals). A natural followup to mastering your character is, quite literally, wanting to beat the living mess out of other players with your character that you've spent lots of time learning and mastering.

Here is where a phenomenon I've observed, called "Letting the **** flow," takes place; when you are building up a solid tournament resumé and getting lots of experience under your belt, building confidence and just getting better as a player (a process that can take months or years) will have you eventually seeing more individual match wins and more wins in tournament sets. This is where you now have a chance to make moves in your community at large and try your hand at actually taking top spots at an event somewhere.

So long story short, if you just want to win the easy way, you need to look into top tier. If you want to find the path to winning, stick with what you want to do. The whole point of the story is that if you are serious enough about what you want to do, even though you may plateau or brickwall yourself at times, you'll find yourself meeting success halfway.

JOE!

Smash Hero
another perk of playing a low tier vs high tier:

HT Player: "Lol, its a low tier! .....wait, how do I fight it?"

Alot of people Id expect only "play to win" and spend their time on matchups they see as "important", like MK, snake and Falco. So when they reach a Wolf or Peach, etc, they are out of luck as they only know of DDDs and G&Ws

Overall though, just playing as who you're comfortable with will almost always get you farther than using some high tier

LuLLo

Smash Ace
What's the point of living, knowing that your fate is already set in stone, i.e., death? A tier list is not a match-up list. There are a number of reasons for using a low-tier. I, for one, am not a tier-w***e, so I'm not going to be choosing a character like Meta Knight. I don't even like Meta Knight. I like Samus, however, and she's my favorite video game character. That's one reason why I main her. I also main her, due to my history playing as her since SSB64. I don't think I'm quite ready to drop Samus for some other character.

Other reasons are the fact that people see me using a low-tier, and using that low-tier so well. I even received a compliment from someone who mains Snake. (She ***** me, 2-1.) She told me I used Samus as if she was a high-tier character. You don't get a compliment like that if you're using Meta Knight. Not only is it the compliments, but also the satisfaction of beating other higher up characters with a low-tier. Those are some of the reasons why I use a low-tier, regardless of where she is on the tier list. Besides, if necessary, I can transform into Zero Suit Samus.
1. Since you're a moderator, why insult people with tier-w***e who like to play competitively and choose a character because of what tier they are? Is that insult-worthy?

2. Since we're insulting people here, you play a character because you like her AND you can get compliments because she is so low on the tier list. But does maining a low-tier character because she is low-tier not make you a so called ''tier-wh***e''?

Also, I know it is nice to receive compliments. Not charging you for that statement. It's just the that the reasoning you use isn't right in my opinion.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
1. Since you're a moderator, why insult people with tier-w***e who like to play competitively and choose a character because of what tier they are? Is that insult-worthy?
My opinions on the tier list is irrelevant to me being a moderator. If anyone has a problem with me calling them a "tier-w***e," simply because they main a character based off the tier list, then that's their problem, not mine.

2. Since we're insulting people here, you play a character because you like her AND you can get compliments because she is so low on the tier list. But does maining a low-tier character because she is low-tier not make you a so called ''tier-wh***e''?
Oh gosh, let's play the martyr now. You know, I've mained Samus since SSB64, and I got into this scene when Brawl was released. I wasn't some professional player or tourney-goer when Melee was around. It seems you missed the point, though. I don't main Samus because of the tier list. That's what would make someone a tier-w***e. Like I said, I couldn't care less where she lands on the tier list. I'm going to main her because of my history for maining Samus in all three games, since I'm a Metroid fan. It has nothing to do with the tier list. The compliments I receive come as a bonus.

Also, I know it is nice to receive compliments. Not charging you for that statement. It's just the that the reasoning you use isn't right in my opinion.
That's fine. It's your opinion.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
what is the point of maining a character lower on the tier list, when fate has already doomed you from any chance of winning a tourny? am i wrong?
You are wrong. Nothing in this game is predetermined, so don't use a word like "fate" so lightly. I've been very successful locally while still maining Ganon and Jigglypuff (and Zelda on occasion when I feel like being a campy and annoying *****). The only thing that's holding me back is the need for more match-up practice (and the need for gas money).

i havent picked a main yet, but i was looking towards bowser or samus, but it doesnt seem like theres a point. neither one of those characters have yet to win a tourny, so am i just setting my self up for am epic fail smash career?
Don't let the idea that "z0mg mah character ain't tourney viable" keep you from maining that character. If you feel comfortable using Boozer and Samus, then do it! Hell, if you're good enough, you just might MAKE a Brawl career simply by "beating fate" and winning (or placing decently) with your choice of low tier.

Did you have a favorite character in the Smash series before you found out about tier lists and the tourney scene? Image yourself back in those days of yesteryear, and try to remember why you picked that character in the first place.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
:yoshi: Responding directly to the OP:

Winning a tournament besides maybe very very very small local gatherings demands more than simply playing a certain character. It demands a winning attitude, some degree of determination, and a mix of raw skill, intelligence, and luck.

If winning is what you're looking to do, then, in all honesty, yes...you are quite doomed. If you want to start winning immediately, you should start playing Meta Knight and either get sick nasty with him or pick up a second character to cover matchups you may not be confident in or good at.

If you want to get better overall, then we're talking about something positive. First, getting better comes from playing the game and loving to play it. Naturally, you'll want to love playing your character also. Now, as you spend more time with your character, you will want to get on the road to mastering your character up to whatever level you find yourself comfortable with (in terms of your Smash career goals). A natural followup to mastering your character is, quite literally, wanting to beat the living mess out of other players with your character that you've spent lots of time learning and mastering.

Here is where a phenomenon I've observed, called "Letting the **** flow," takes place; when you are building up a solid tournament resumé and getting lots of experience under your belt, building confidence and just getting better as a player (a process that can take months or years) will have you eventually seeing more individual match wins and more wins in tournament sets. This is where you now have a chance to make moves in your community at large and try your hand at actually taking top spots at an event somewhere.

So long story short, if you just want to win the easy way, you need to look into top tier. If you want to find the path to winning, stick with what you want to do. The whole point of the story is that if you are serious enough about what you want to do, even though you may plateau or brickwall yourself at times, you'll find yourself meeting success halfway.
You make it sound like the "play to win mentality" is a horrible thing. In most competitions, that mentality is necessary in order to achieve a "perfection" in the competition.

There is no reason to EVER main a low tier character if your mentality is to win. For example, I used to main Sonic when the game first came out. The reason I did is because I LOVE sonic as a video character. My "super-ego" came into play for Sonic. I tried to PERFECT the little blue guy. But as soon came to realize, even with perfection from the human perspective, the actual character is not perfect.

Super-ego(Freud) is present in many many smash players, most notable M2K. If you recall his mains in melee where Marth, Shiek, and Fox, for the most part. Now look at their placement in the tier list.

tl;dr

There is no reason to main a low tier character if your intentions are to win. Some people, however, main low tier characters because they believe they want to "prove" that "YES U CAN BE GOOD WITH CAPTAIN FALCON" Others just join the competitive scene with their favorite character.

Either way if you want to win, use a higher tier character. Much more so Metaknight.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Playing to win isn't just playing with the highest character on the tier list; it's playing with a character you can win with, using tactics you can win with. If you think you can improve your chances of winning by using MK, go ahead. If you think you can do better using a low tier character, go ahead.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
smash career
If you think this is going to happen, just forget those above words...it's not possible.

Otherwise, you're right, I've thought about the same thing of why people main a low tier character. The closest thing I can come up with is that the user got too much nostalgia from that character from a different game. . .which is their choice lol.

M@v

Subarashii!
When you play a low/mid tier as a main, you have to be aware of all of his/her weaknesses and know how to deal with them. Fox is a case of greats and horribles. He has traits that are as good as top tiers, but also suffers from really gay chaingrabs, due to his fastfalling. Example, he is one of the characters that gets completely smashed by pika's cg. What Im poking at is, make sure you put thought into a good secondary. I got Lucario and Falco as my secondaries for example(Although I only really need Lucario). Lucario does fine against all of fox's really bad matchups (Pika/sheik). And the only person who Cg's lucario, DDD, fox does very well against. Pretty much the only real serious hole in the Fox/lucario team is GW, which just takes practice to overcome.

All low/mid tiers are capable of being in a pairing like this; find the one that suits you.

Top Bottom