• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 4 getting boring for you?

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Not bored of the game but I know the feeling somewhat. It's been 3 long years I have been glued to the Internet hyping and hyping the game up to no end. But now it's all over the characters are unlocked the stages too got all the custom moves I care about and I'm still hungry for hype and mewtwo can't come quick enough ! Humans are meant to be miserable lol

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Played for the first weekend nonstop, but now I just play if friends hop online or locally. I got other games to play such as Xenoblades and Shadow of Mordor, I don't got time to waste grinding single player game modes for days.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I try to get in an hour of FG matches each day. Slowly learning to get decent with a number of characters.

I don't see how anyone can get bored with FG mode. You'll always be able to find people who challenge you and, if they don't, drop after the match and find someone else to play against who does.

Last edited:

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
Not really. There's a ton of content I this game and not to mention the challenges are quite difficult. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to be playing Smash

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
I'm not bored of it yet. Completing the challenges and collecting the trophies is what keeping me from getting bored of the game. Of course, some of those challenges are still hard and complicated to complete.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The only thing I find boring about Smash 4 is playing on the Final Destitation variations of each stage...and For Glory mode. I mean really, it literally makes me yawn.

But aside from that, I'm just getting this show on the road.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The game is getting boring as much as Mario Kart 8. I love both games, but I am not that thrilled when I don't get to play with my IRL friends, which happens to be never because I'm not kid/teenager anymore. This makes me sad.

I am loving unlocking content, though. I'm having a blast getting new everything. I love exploring all the modes this game has to offer. Solo isn't going to bum me out for a while. Multiplayer is what's really breaking my heart here; it's the heart of Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am taking it slow, so I am not bored yet. I am spending more time on Pokemon Omega Ruby and the Game of the Year: Call of Duty. That being said, I played doubles for a couple of hours the other day and had great fun, but something feels missing. I am not compelled to play constantly. Even Brawl gave me that feeling. This game, I have been ignoring it for the most part.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I'm already tired of this game after just a few dozen hours of play. I played Melee over 50 hours and with Brawl clocked in at 500+ between me and my brother, so I don't know if I'm just burned out on Smash as a whole or if my having already played the 3DS version quite extensively is the reason for my lack of interest. All I know just can't get into this game. It's certainly got more collectibles and such, but the way everything is randomized really doesn't make it feel worth it. Not to mention the Challenges, I'm a completionist but I'm not even going to bother this time, they're just that obnoxious. And the lack of a story mode really, really bugs me. That, and Target Smash, are two things missing that I really enjoyed in past installments, so not having them feels like a real step backwards for me. There's nothing in this game that can recapture that sense of pure wonderment and joy I felt as I played through the SSE, unlocking characters and watching them interact in cutscenes, and I feel the game is worse off for it.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm just bored with for glory it sucks to be the only person who approaches in each fight lol.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Oh, man, it's been a while since I've seen you.
Good to see you still play.

As far as running away, there's a lot of that on FG -- I did team battles against a handful of people, all of which had at least one Wii Fit Trainer on the team to run away and spam Sun Salutation.
That got old very fast (especially since I dealt with it on 3DS), so I went to 1v1 FG and found that it's still pretty projectile-based.
I make the approach several times and read people like a book, but something about it feels a lot more textbook and less original; I feel like the game's already figured out and all I have to do is anticipate my opponent's movements/actions from a rather small option pool; I don't feel pushed to make up my own combos or do anything interesting so I tend to just go for style points, which makes the game drag on.
No take this in any way, but do I know or you know me? Haha. I've been MIA thanks to school and work but I've been browsing and reading comments from time to time. Just not responding.

I'm terrible at anticipation and coming from Brawl and Project M, I feel like I'm starting all over even though it is Smash Bros which isn't too much of a problem and it makes relearning things fun. Mains will always be Kirby and Ness but I don't feel like I need to re-master them since I've been playing them for years and there's only small differences between Brawl and Smash 4. I'm using Palutena who I'm reading up on other people's thoughts that she is a bait/anticipation character, something I'm not good at but I'm willing to learn to work on that more and using her will help make that progress (though, I use her because I fell in love with her character in Uprising).

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
It's not boring for me yet. But I can see potential fatigue setting in.

I haven't gotten deep into online yet, so that could keep me around. But the jump from 64 to Melee was huge. The jump from Melee to Brawl was huge. The jump from Brawl to this was... not so huge. I've been playing Brawl for the last 6 years and this just feels like a continuation of that. It really just feels like HD Brawl in a lot of ways and it sucks that this is probably all we will see for the rest of this system generation. A lot of the content-unlocking criteria are just completely inferior to Brawl.

Like I said, I'm not bored of it, but I also don't see that initial burst from release lasting as long as the previous games.

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
Not bored at all. Play it a lot with my roommates and online is getting better with the days. And mastering your main character ofcourse.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Bored? No, I want to play it, but I really need to finish up Xenoblade so I en. I do find time every now and then to play more. :)

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I'm bored with some of the aspects of the game, and I was within two days of release. I already played Classic on 3DS with all characters so I really didn't want to do it again - especially since I think Wii U's classic mode is significantly worse due to 8-player Smash and Master Fortress being pretty cheap. I've never cared for All-Star mode in either version. I enjoyed Event Match when I was just going through and was looking forward to trying the additional goals...until I saw the very first one was "Don't get hit" which is just plain stupid. I mostly play classic from time to time and the Orders now. I'd play online mode more, but anything other than For Glory 1 vs 1 ends up being too laggy to be playable most of the time and I'm tired of Omega stages after my time on the 3DS.

In other words, I'm not quite bored yet, but I don't know how much more the orders modes can entertain me.

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
I've played like 50 hours + with villager and I still have tons of fun playing him. If I ever do get bored of him, I can just pick another character and repeat the process. I don't see myself getting bored any time soon.

As for custom moves, I like the idea but I don't think they should ever be allowed competitively or in for glory matches. Just a little thing fun to experiment once in a while with. :4villager:

PCHU

Smash Lord
No take this in any way, but do I know or you know me? Haha. I've been MIA thanks to school and work but I've been browsing and reading comments from time to time. Just not responding.

I'm terrible at anticipation and coming from Brawl and Project M, I feel like I'm starting all over even though it is Smash Bros which isn't too much of a problem and it makes relearning things fun. Mains will always be Kirby and Ness but I don't feel like I need to re-master them since I've been playing them for years and there's only small differences between Brawl and Smash 4. I'm using Palutena who I'm reading up on other people's thoughts that she is a bait/anticipation character, something I'm not good at but I'm willing to learn to work on that more and using her will help make that progress (though, I use her because I fell in love with her character in Uprising).
Well, if I recall correctly, there was a KomicTurtle on AiB, so either you're the same guy and don't remember me or there are two of you.

I've been playing all the Smash iterations (except 64) because I love it all, and Smash 4 seems "more flowchart" than the other two.
Of course there was Falco, probably the most flowchart character in Brawl due to his chaingrab -> meteor, but even with the low percent guaranteed stuff, there always seemed to be something cool you could do with it, whereas in Smash 4, I kinda feel like I can only switch it up and go for more interesting strings or even 0-deaths and the like when it's vs someone who never airdodges or is afraid to challenge my aerials.
Melee had Fox vs Jiggs as the matchup everyone knows very well, but options for combos and KOs seemed a lot more varied, as did the approaches and general potential of the characters.

The thing that gets me is that while people enjoy the new game, when I talk with people about it, even people who preferred Brawl over Melee, don't feel too excited over this game just because it doesn't come off as that much different than what they've been playing.
There isn't much room for variation outside of rather drastic suboptimal play and optimal play is just annoying to deal with.

I'm keeping Dedede as my main because some of his gordo setups allow for some pretty beastly stage control (but only if the opponent is cornered), but DK/Ganon are close seconds just because they're fun.
I don't own a Wii U so I can't practice consistently, but I played it on 3DS for a while and I do own a Wii U copy of it; I think I can hold off on buying a Wii U for a few months.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Well, if I recall correctly, there was a KomicTurtle on AiB, so either you're the same guy and don't remember me or there are two of you.

I've been playing all the Smash iterations (except 64) because I love it all, and Smash 4 seems "more flowchart" than the other two.
Of course there was Falco, probably the most flowchart character in Brawl due to his chaingrab -> meteor, but even with the low percent guaranteed stuff, there always seemed to be something cool you could do with it, whereas in Smash 4, I kinda feel like I can only switch it up and go for more interesting strings or even 0-deaths and the like when it's vs someone who never airdodges or is afraid to challenge my aerials.
Melee had Fox vs Jiggs as the matchup everyone knows very well, but options for combos and KOs seemed a lot more varied, as did the approaches and general potential of the characters.

The thing that gets me is that while people enjoy the new game, when I talk with people about it, even people who preferred Brawl over Melee, don't feel too excited over this game just because it doesn't come off as that much different than what they've been playing.
There isn't much room for variation outside of rather drastic suboptimal play and optimal play is just annoying to deal with.

I'm keeping Dedede as my main because some of his gordo setups allow for some pretty beastly stage control (but only if the opponent is cornered), but DK/Ganon are close seconds just because they're fun.
I don't own a Wii U so I can't practice consistently, but I played it on 3DS for a while and I do own a Wii U copy of it; I think I can hold off on buying a Wii U for a few months.
Oh, okay. Yeah, there's only one Komicturtle... I'd think. Don't go on it that often despite missing my babies on there (and I hate the new name).

I'm going to look at it this way: It's extremely early to formulate the final verdict. I probably don't have the same issues or mindset that most people have because I'm looking at the whole package and not just the "competitive" side of things. Almost blind to it (I cannot get over that there's a Baten Kaitos track- I want Kalas playable!).

PS: One shouldn't own a Wii U for one game, especially not Smash Bros. To each their own but the Wii U has come out with amazing games the past two years from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, to Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Pikmin 3 to Super Mario 3D World. I understand if people don't have the money, but there are those who will only get a Wii U for just ONE game and sometimes complain that there's "No other good games" when it really is the taste in games they have. In any case, I digress.

I like the changes they made to DeDeDe and Meta Knight. Kirby... That hammer. Not a fan of at all. I guess the short super armor is nice when he swings it but other than that it is a step back from his previous hammer. I see myself comfortably playing all three Kirby characters in this iteration where in Brawl I found Meta Knight to be unmanageable and obviously broken. Dedede was too weird for me but I still used him here and there in Brawl.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Hard to be bored when I haven't started playing it yet. I own it, but I also played about 5k rounds on the 3ds version. I'm not really interested in the Wii U until I can manage to get a controller adapter without spending more than I did for the game. It's just not appealing to me on the gamepad, I already learned it on the 3ds and as beautiful as it is on the U, it's just more painful than anything to have my GC controller sitting right next to me unable to connect.

My hype fire got a bit rained on. I'm just trying to stow it away and forget about it until I can rekindle and enjoy it the way it was meant to, to me. The little bit of the game I saw was fantastic though, although nothing entirely different from the 3DS, so it's actually not that farfetched that some people are bored of it as they spent countless days juicing the fun out of the game on a lesser system.

Been playing poke Sapphire while I wait for an adapter lel

PCHU

Smash Lord
No, and anyone who says yes probably isn't a real Smash player.
I love Smash and will gladly play any iteration with any person, but even I have preferences and criticisms.
The argument of whether someone is a "real Smash player" or a "real man" or a "real *whatever*" is solely up to what the accuser idealizes.
It's nice that you enjoy this game so far, though.

I like the changes they made to DeDeDe and Meta Knight. Kirby... That hammer. Not a fan of at all. I guess the short super armor is nice when he swings it but other than that it is a step back from his previous hammer. I see myself comfortably playing all three Kirby characters in this iteration where in Brawl I found Meta Knight to be unmanageable and obviously broken. Dedede was too weird for me but I still used him here and there in Brawl.
I kinda like Brawl Dedede better because of his bair (quick and powerful, also lingers) and his dair (I can live without a spike; I need shield pressure), and Metaknight...I heavily prefer his old moveset, and I think they could've come up with better ways to rework him.
I would never say he wasn't a problem in Brawl, but I feel they kind of missed the point when they aimed to make every character "feel good"; he's small, weak, and can't reach very far.
He's also pretty punishable (but then again, most everyone is).
I still play him from time to time, but I think PM balanced him way better.

I recently got to play with a GC controller.
Haven't gotten to fight anyone near my level without wading through a pool of lag, but the game improved a little.
The same projectile spammers dominated 2v2 FG as I spent most of the match getting back to the stage while my team mate died.
When there's mostly melee combat, it's enjoyable to me, but the projectile-to-evasive option ratio doesn't seem to be in my favor; normally, I'd be fine with picking another character, but I'd have thought that they wouldn't just not give a character tools with which to combat this.
Melee and Brawl weren't too bad about it (Melee had projectile reflecting powershields -- bring those back), but I thought they would've figured out what makes a character solid by now.
It's winnable, but I always feel like fighting is a waste of time because I'm not having any fun.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Nope. I'm not playing it as much as I have some previous Smash games, but that's only because my time has been split between it, the new Pokemon game, and the crazy world that is everyday life.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
I feel that this game, hasn't been touched upon deep enough yet and has alot of potential for a very rewarding meta game, and a huge community following.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SSB4 multiplayer modes are great like always... certain solo modes like Stadium mini-games and Trophy Run are fun as hell... but I hate the new Classic Mode... I don't like 8-player matches forced on me, especially on small stages like Onett and Kongo Jungle 64... and it is hard to keep track of everything during 8-player matches... I lose sight of where my character is and I look for the red arrow above my character and when I do find it, turns out it is one of my teammates... Smash Tour is boring as hell... Smash Run on the 3DS is way more fun IMO.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
This game has been out for like less than three months

Why is this thread a thing

And I say this as someone with no intention to buy the game.

PS. Saying something flame-baitey isn't flame bait doesn't magically make it less flame-baitey

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Yesterday I lay down on my bear fur in front of the fireplace and made sweet love to my Sm4sh. It is just so much fun to play with friends, and I have a lot of friends nearby who, just like me, can't get enough of this.
Though, I am generally very smash-addicted. Not counting Brawl, which got me excited but not that hooked (too much competition coming from my PC back then), I've played and loved all Smash games a great deal.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
^Above me: A liar.

Comparing it to Pokemon...boy this thread got drilled into the ground fast.

The game is boring. Accept the boring meta, it's how you win.

Last edited:

Tali_Zorha

Smash Rookie
Nope
I only have the 3ds version and while i don't play it all day.
I still find it very fun to play when bored. I find online to be very enjouable and there is still a crap ton of stuff to do in Single player.

Like those pesky level 3 challenges -__-

Spec7re92

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spec7re
I'm really trying to pace myself with it.. Still have a lot of events and some stages to unlock but I'm havin a good time so far.

A lot better than brawl was imo, hopefully it doesn't get stale once everything is finished.

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
Bored people can try playing some pros on Twitch or attending tourneys. If you're a competitive person, those options should peak your interest.

Top Bottom