• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 4 getting boring for you?

Endei

Smash Cadet
NNID
EndeiHero
3DS FC
4854-7111-4790
I'm posting this here today on Thanksgiving not only because I am hungry and waiting for my plate but I'm also genuinely curious.

And no this isn't a thread to flame the game or anything. I love Smash 4 so far. That is my disclaimer.

I'm asking because don't you think there's better ways to give it some more flare and more interesting matches?

Now first I wanna say I would love to hear your opinions, suggestions, and even whether or not you think Smash 4 is still fun for you or not.

That being said, i'm going to be honest with you guys here. It's looking like Custom Moves are a nice safe bet to give Smash 4 it's true "flare" as I like to call it. If only because there's so many moves and characters to choose from and the unpredictability would surely give for some interesting matches. Y'know?

Okay so look at it like this. You have Competitive Pokemon, One of Nintendo's most competitive and popular game to date. And for what? Two creatures standing across each other doing certain animations?

Doesn't sound exciting does it? But you know why Competitive Pokemon still stands today? Is because it offers so much depth and so much unpredictability. There's so many options you could pull off and the battles are always interesting that way.

Now I understand the unlocking process is a bit of a hassle and you DON'T need custom moves to enjoy this game. But when there's a will there's a way.

Which is why i'm curious to ask of your opinions? Again. This is no means to bring down the game. It's general curiosity.

Any reason why Custom Moves would be a bad idea? Stuff like that.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :]

D

Deleted member

Smash Wii U is most certainly not getting boring for me. It hasn't even been a week since I last got the game, how could I get bored of Smash so quickly?

I'll be playing this for months on end easily.

Endei

Smash Cadet
NNID
EndeiHero
3DS FC
4854-7111-4790
Smash Wii U is most certainly not getting boring for me. It hasn't even been a week since I last got the game, how could I get bored of Smash so quickly?

I'll be playing this for months on end easily.
Believe me. This game has already cost me some assignment points in my school. Lol. :[

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I use hot sauce as eye drops I will never get bored.

Oh, and I haven't even tried/played against all of the characters yet. That'll also drive me to keep playing.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
The game's been out for a week. How could one possibly be bored with it when every other iteration of smash is still thriving today.

Endei

Smash Cadet
NNID
EndeiHero
3DS FC
4854-7111-4790
The game's been out for a week. How could one possibly be bored with it when every other iteration of smash is still thriving today.
I've seen post on bookface and twitter. So yeah. People are just really hard to please.

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I get bored of things rather quickly but after banking in my 26th hour today of Smash,
no, it's not getting boring yet.

There's things like All-Star that I feel annoyed having to beat because I always seem to die on Stage 5 or 6 and I hate being on edge trying not to die, but most things like events/challenges/classic I'm trying to slow down on to strictly save something so I don't get bored.

It's such a fun game and any time I get to play it still feels fresh.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I'm still loving the game, and it's not even close to getting boring. For me, the reason would be that I have an older brother that I always play with. The fun of the game multiplies by an insane amount when you've got someone else to play with. If you're playing solo, though, I can at least understand why you'd eventually get bored.

D

Deleted member

I love this game so much and I am heavily addicted to it. I am having some fun with 8-Player Smash, the Orders, Classic Mode, Wi-Fi Battles, Spectator Mode, and using my Kirby amiibo.

It's hard to put this game down.

PCHU

Smash Lord
After having played the game since it came out on 3DS and playing it more on the Wii U (don't have an adaptor for GC controller yet), it's still not very enticing.
I'm trying to force myself to like it, and every now and then I'll get a cool-looking attack string, but I immediately think that I know it shouldn't work because the person was too busy watching me hit them to think to airdodge or try to jump away.
The interactions between players just aren't all that interesting; I don't feel like I'm really setting up a wall or having a true war of spacing because of how ridiculously close and precise I have to be to actually hit with my stuff, and most of the time, I end up just kinda standing there and wandering around the stage because I'm bored.
I'll never attempt to direct people away from this game because there are people who actually enjoy it, and that's awesome, but I just don't have fun with this like I do with Brawl and Melee, and I can't figure out why.
I've got a gameplan and I adapt to others just fine, and my issue with the KOs taking forever is pretty much solved thanks to the Wii U version, but the whole thing is just kinda "there", and it's upsetting to me that I just can't enjoy it.
I've tried switching to more solid characters, using characters I don't like, using characters I think are easymode/ridiculous, using characters I think aren't all that great, using characters that are okay, but Dedede's the only one that really clicks, and the whole game is just not all that interesting; I don't feel like it's really "pulling me in".

I'm gonna keep playing it because it's something to do and it's something I'm good at, but I just don't know.
It feels like something's missing from the gameplay.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I'm beginning to get bored but only for one reason: I have nobody to play it with Forever Available and I hate... HATE For Glory mode. I like competitive Smash and am trying to get better, I can't fight level 9's because they teach bad habits and don't prove a challenge. I've been scouting the friend code adding thread and have only played with one person...

SilverhandX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverhandX
No, not in the slightest. Despite the complaints about there being no SSE mode, this game has an absurd amount of single player content, and I'm normally alone when playing Smash. I'm sure once I eventually complete all of the single player modes to my satisfaction I might play less often, but there's always room to improve competitively, and practice has only been a small section of my time so far due to all of the modes available.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'm getting tired of playing For Glory and having to work EXTRA hard to fight and chase after people running away and rolling off. But other than that, nah. I'm having fun taking on the challenges and doing Master and Crazy Orders. Also leveled up my Yoshi Amiibo.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm beginning to get bored but only for one reason: I have nobody to play it with Forever Available and I hate... HATE For Glory mode. I like competitive Smash and am trying to get better, I can't fight level 9's because they teach bad habits and don't prove a challenge. I've been scouting the friend code adding thread and have only played with one person...
You don't find the Wii U CPU challenging at all?

What type of God mode do you use?

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
I've played a 1000 battles since I got it at launch... Not bored but some things need to be changed in the gameplay

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm posting this here today on Thanksgiving not only because I am hungry and waiting for my plate but I'm also genuinely curious.

And no this isn't a thread to flame the game or anything. I love Smash 4 so far. That is my disclaimer.

I'm asking because don't you think there's better ways to give it some more flare and more interesting matches?

Now first I wanna say I would love to hear your opinions, suggestions, and even whether or not you think Smash 4 is still fun for you or not.

That being said, i'm going to be honest with you guys here. It's looking like Custom Moves are a nice safe bet to give Smash 4 it's true "flare" as I like to call it. If only because there's so many moves and characters to choose from and the unpredictability would surely give for some interesting matches. Y'know?

Okay so look at it like this. You have Competitive Pokemon, One of Nintendo's most competitive and popular game to date. And for what? Two creatures standing across each other doing certain animations?

Doesn't sound exciting does it? But you know why Competitive Pokemon still stands today? Is because it offers so much depth and so much unpredictability. There's so many options you could pull off and the battles are always interesting that way.

Now I understand the unlocking process is a bit of a hassle and you DON'T need custom moves to enjoy this game. But when there's a will there's a way.

Which is why i'm curious to ask of your opinions? Again. This is no means to bring down the game. It's general curiosity.

Any reason why Custom Moves would be a bad idea? Stuff like that.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :]
Considering the game has only been released in NA, now is much much to early to be asking this question. How about waiting till all regions can purchase the game. most of the world is still hyped up waiting for it's release and you are asking if the game is boring already? If you really didn't believe the game might be boring in about a week, you'd not have asked this question at all.

I don't know why some NA people keep acting like this. Thinking that they are the centre of all game releases. Next time at least wait till everyone can but the game before you ask if it's boring now. Basically for most of the world you are asking if a game they have never even played, has been played so much it's now boring. Totally makes no sense. Have some patience.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
You don't find the Wii U CPU challenging at all?

What type of God mode do you use?
Fox only, No Items, Big Battlefield.

I just did 3 1v1's on battlefield.
Fox vs Fox - Loss
R.O.B. vs R.O.B. - Win
Ganondorf vs Ganondorf - Win

They are pretty good but human players are more difficult in my opinion.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm getting tired of playing For Glory and having to work EXTRA hard to fight and chase after people running away and rolling off. But other than that, nah. I'm having fun taking on the challenges and doing Master and Crazy Orders. Also leveled up my Yoshi Amiibo.
Oh, man, it's been a while since I've seen you.
Good to see you still play.

As far as running away, there's a lot of that on FG -- I did team battles against a handful of people, all of which had at least one Wii Fit Trainer on the team to run away and spam Sun Salutation.
That got old very fast (especially since I dealt with it on 3DS), so I went to 1v1 FG and found that it's still pretty projectile-based.
I make the approach several times and read people like a book, but something about it feels a lot more textbook and less original; I feel like the game's already figured out and all I have to do is anticipate my opponent's movements/actions from a rather small option pool; I don't feel pushed to make up my own combos or do anything interesting so I tend to just go for style points, which makes the game drag on.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I don't have the Wii U version, so I'm going to be talking about the 3DS version. Anyways, I have not gotten bored,but I really only play FG and I get bored sometimes fighting against players using the top 5 characters all day.

mahkan

Smash Cadet
You could try Anther's Ladder for people to play with.

Legaci

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'm getting bored more or less. The exact reason, I'm not entirely sure. It's a great game and I love it but idk. It feels like it won't last me very long. It's lacking addiction factor for me but that may change over time.

Farorae

Smash Ace
I get bored if I play it hours on end sure, but that happens with everything. It always feels really fresh the next day though.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Currently I have been bouncing between Bayonetta 2, Persona Q, and Smash Wii U. When it comes to Smash I sometimes take breaks from that game since it is played in the house so often. Despite this fact, I'm not bored of the game, just trying to balance out my game time in order to prevent burnout. I'm going to be playing this game as much, if not more than I played Melee. Brawl was a good game, however, their single player campaign killed it for me and I didn't have the motivation to unlock everything like I do with this game and Melee.

Endei

Smash Cadet
NNID
EndeiHero
3DS FC
4854-7111-4790
You know. I think this game is best played when you have something on the side. It's not really meant to be the only game you play and when you do play it. It's best with friends. As for the competitive aspect. Well.

It's a developer who's made games like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Clash of Battles whatever. And I think Marvel Vs Capcom too? If i'm not mistakened.
And what I get from that is that we sort of have to play by their rules if we're going to get any fun out of this? Maybe?

At the same time I appreciate all the content and the balancing patches but... I don't want so much balancing that it makes every character feel the same. Y'know?

It's a very hard feeling to describe.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Not bored, but I'm currently going through Classic and All-Star mode with the whole roster which is always a very tedious task.

Endei

Smash Cadet
NNID
EndeiHero
3DS FC
4854-7111-4790
Not bored, but I'm currently going through Classic and All-Star mode with the whole roster which is always a very tedious task.
I'd have to agree with you on that. They say the computers arnt level 9 but they're amiibo level's. Like 50 and such. And they love to combo you.

Khao

Smash Lord
No, not yet, and I doubt I'll get bored of it for quite a while.

It just doesn't get old as long as you balance it out with other games.

At the moment, I'm also playing Far Cry 3, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem Awakening, Diablo 3, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, Shadow of Mordor, and a few others.

It can get a little bit overwhelming at times, but it's harder to get bored of a game when you're playing a wide variety of different games at the same time.

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people burn themselves out playing it so much in the first weeks. Happens to me a lot with games I'm really hyped for.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I enjoy the game. I think customs can (and do) add a lot of variety to matches as well, though I can understand the frustration of having to unlock 'em all (did it once on the 3DS, workin' on the U version now). There're a lot of ways to have fun with the game at all levels of play.

chucho

Smash Cadet
I have not gotten bored with it. I sometimes play a stage with only bombs and its fun lol

Top Bottom