• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Rock dead/dying?

ssbbIkemaster

Smash Cadet
*the creation of this thread was inspired by this article*

I truly value my music, especially that which is on the radio. There used to be a time when I would wait for the new songs to come on the radio because the songs were good. But as I've matured both physically and musically, I've become ever more critical of the songs that are currently on the radio.

Now, I instead wait for the classics to come on the radio, as opposed to the new songs. Whenever a new song comes on the radio I find myself saying 90% of the time "GOD, I hate this f*****g song."

Can someone tell me why the themes of blatant sex, drugs, rock and roll and corny love songs became the norm for mainstream rock? The lyrics in songs have a complete disregard for subtlety, and are characteristic of a horny middle schooler's secret poetry.

Examples:
Addicted - Saving Abel (sex)
Through Glass - Stone Sour (corny love song)
Bad Girlfriend - Theory of a Dead Man (sex)
Rock and Roll Train - AC/DC (rock and roll)
Any Saliva song (rock and roll)
Any Buckcherry song (sex/drugs)
Something in your mouth - Nickelback (sex)
Animals - Nickelback (sex)
Rockstar - Nickelback (sex/drugs/rock & roll)
Use Me - Hinder (sex)
Papa Roach - Forever (corny love song)

...yes, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, there are good bands out there still, such as Seether, Disturbed, Shinedown, Submersed, Tool is still around too!! (thank god)

What I'm saying is that I'm not seeing any bands/songs that are making an impact. Where's the "Stairway to Heaven" of the 2000's? There's no legends here, it's just rock bands looking to get songs on the radio. There's hardly any effort put into these songs; put in a nice/heavy riff, a solid drum beat, and lyrics that are shallow and on the surface with a melody that's fun to sing along with. If this is what rock is tending towards, then I don't want a part of it.

My defense mechanism as a result of this infestation of terrible, amateur music is to dig progressively deeper and deeper into the past. My musical tastes just keep getting older and older (a small side note: I just bought In the Court of the Crimson King and I LOVE IT, it's the oldest album I own). I gatta wash my ears in some Led Zeppelin before they dry up and fall off.

My question to you is this: Is rock dying; or are things looking up?

Are you serious!!!!!!!!!!!!
you listed great bands but you didn't mention Three Days Grace or Linkin Park >_<

ssbbIkemaster

Smash Cadet
Rock, Hard Rock, Metal rock and Screamo Rock is awake and Alive. I don't know any one who doesn't like any of these.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Regardless of what you think of Linkin Park, Ikemaster, they're not death metal in anyway. So they're irrelevant.

Also, edit your posts instead of posting multiple times in a row, or else you'll get yelled at by scary moderators.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Are you serious!!!!!!!!!!!!
you listed great bands but you didn't mention Three Days Grace or Linkin Park >_<
I hope to god you're kidding.

Anyway, to all those saying that there is still good music around and that you just need to look for it: you're right to an extent.

But for people like me, people who are into 60s/70s/80s/early 90s rock and metal, hard rock, glam metal, early punk and the like, as well as other 70s/80s pop, well... that kind of music is not made anymore (not like it used to be). It's that style of music, that specific sound that is no longer around today. Therefore, I can broaden my search as much as I want but I will not find much of the type of music I like. That era is all in the past.

If you're into the type of music that's made today (and I'm referring to the less known, non-mainstream stuff) then it is a lot easier to say "there's still good music, just look for it". The key concept here is that you like that music, but it's just not my cup of tea. Rock and pop of olde is simply not produced the way it used to be.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I don't think he is :(

Anyway, to all those saying that there is still good music around and that you just need to look for it: you're right to an extent.

But for people like me, people who are into 60s/70s/80s/early 90s rock and metal, hard rock, glam metal, early punk and the like, as well as other 70s/80s pop, well... that kind of music is not made anymore (not like it used to be). It's that style of music, that specific sound that is no longer around today. Therefore, I can broaden my search as much as I want but I will not find much of the type of music I like. That era is all in the past.

If you're into the type of music that's made today (and I'm referring to the less known, non-mainstream stuff) then it is a lot easier to say "there's still good music, just look for it". The key concept here is that you like that music, but it's just not my cup of tea. Rock and pop of olde is simply not produced the way it used to be.
Couldn't agree more.

ssbbIkemaster

Smash Cadet
So

Dude they rock.YEs I'm Into music now not back then

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sorry, it's my fault for directing him to the right forum after having him spam up the User Blogs with a thread about your favorite band, genre, song, etc.

Anyways, I agree with GoldShadow. This all comes down to opinion in the end, so no one can really definitively say one is better than the other.

I'd even be so daring as to say that if you like some of the mainstream music that's considered crap...you have a right to. I know Linkin Park has a terrible rep, and with some good reason, but it irks me that people consistently bash those that like it. Now, I won't defend Ikemaster here...it's one thing to express your opinion, it's another entirely to do so noobishly, extraneously, and as if you cannot be wrong. But I do feel that it's stupid to tell someone that their music is crap, because it is opinion. You don't have to like the music or pretend to, I just don't enjoy it when people bash people's opinions.

smashbot226

Smash Master
^You're right. The only fans I bash are Stephanie Meyer fans. But this is about MUSIC, so I'll stay away from that.

On topic, I think rock is still alive, somewhat. I have to say, Metallica's new album is pretty cool.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I'd even be so daring as to say that if you like some of the mainstream music that's considered crap...you have a right to. I know Linkin Park has a terrible rep, and with some good reason, but it irks me that people consistently bash those that like it. Now, I won't defend Ikemaster here...it's one thing to express your opinion, it's another entirely to do so noobishly, extraneously, and as if you cannot be wrong. But I do feel that it's stupid to tell someone that their music is crap, because it is opinion. You don't have to like the music or pretend to, I just don't enjoy it when people bash people's opinions.
I agree with this. I've become more tolerant of other peoples' musical tastes over the years as I've realized what Firus brings up.

What I hate though, is when people who like this newer stuff think that, just because they like New 2000s Band X better than Old 80s Band Y, that Band X and its members are better musicians than Band Y.

If you like Linkin Park, that's fine. But don't tell me that Chester Bennington is a better vocalist than Joe Elliot or Steve Perry. Definitely don't try to say that Linkin Park is musically versatile compared to Guns N' Roses or Queen. If you like Incubus or Coldplay, that's fine. But don't say that Mike Einziger or Jonny Buckland are better guitarists than Angus Young or Keith Richards.

Differences in musical taste I can tolerate and understand, but people who don't recognize skill or quality annoy me.

Skrah

Smash Ace
^You're right. The only fans I bash are Stephanie Meyer fans. But this is about MUSIC, so I'll stay away from that.

On topic, I think rock is still alive, somewhat. I have to say, Metallica's new album is pretty cool.
Well, I didn't like it much, it was very much like Black Ice, AC/DC just made the album to go en toure...

I consider myself pretty open music-wise. My favorite genre is rock and all its variatons, but I also enjoy techno, dance, and other types of music. Only thing that makes my ears hurt is rap

Fat NISMO

Smash Cadet
Seriously I like almost any rock. But mostly just rock in Metal genre of today (Metalcore, Black metal, Thrash metal).
But seriously everyone just ****ing enjoy your music

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Whenever a new song comes on the radio I find myself saying 90% of the time "GOD, I hate this f*****g song."
I'm the same way...except like 95%. I really haven't found a band in the past three years that I've liked. My issue is that I like heavier rock music, I can't stand the mainstream Buckcherry/Saving Abel/Hinder type bands, and I can't listen to mindless screaming of what is considered 'metal' these days. It's difficult to find something that is like that nowadays, you have to dig deep to find it.

I listen to older music mostly today. My most played CD's are:
Metallica: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets
Dream Theater: Images and Words
Tool: Everything
Megadeth: Rust in Peace
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall
Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast
Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile
System of a Down: Self Titled and Toxicity
Weezer: Pinkerton

Of all of the CD's listed, one (10,000 days) has been released in the past 3 years. Is modern rock dead? Nah, not yet. I don't much care for it, but it still has time to redeem itself before it dies.

If you are looking for something to listen to, check out anything listed above. It may not be new or 'modern', but I think it is all pretty quality stuff (even the Weezer CD).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I agree with this. I've become more tolerant of other peoples' musical tastes over the years as I've realized what Firus brings up.

What I hate though, is when people who like this newer stuff think that, just because they like New 2000s Band X better than Old 80s Band Y, that Band X and its members are better musicians than Band Y.

If you like Linkin Park, that's fine. But don't tell me that Chester Bennington is a better vocalist than Joe Elliot or Steve Perry. Definitely don't try to say that Linkin Park is musically versatile compared to Guns N' Roses or Queen. If you like Incubus or Coldplay, that's fine. But don't say that Mike Einziger or Jonny Buckland are better guitarists than Angus Young or Keith Richards.

Differences in musical taste I can tolerate and understand, but people who don't recognize skill or quality annoy me.
Yes, I definitely agree with this as well. The same applies to all media, really -- just like I wouldn't attack someone for liking Wii Music, I won't attack someone for liking say, the Jonas Brothers. But I will speak up if someone claims that Wii Music is factually superior to say, Super Metroid, and I would speak up if someone said that the Jonas Brothers is a musically superior band to any truly memorable rock bands.

I consider myself pretty open music-wise. My favorite genre is rock and all its variatons, but I also enjoy techno, dance, and other types of music. Only thing that makes my ears hurt is rap
Heh, this is actually nearly exactly what I am. I can enjoy just about every type of music except for rap/hip-hop, with Rock/Metal and Video Game Music being my favorites.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I lol'ed.
I'm agreeing with you btw :)

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I could go off and name them, but I'll never hear the end of it from all the people who can't take a hint, so I won't, but I'll just say that one is that bad glam band who ripped off the Sparks with faux-opera ambitions and made some of the most annoying songs to ever be played at sports games ever (you know the one I mean).
Oh! Oh! Is it Depeche Mode?

I am sick of hot topic scene kids that think any band that's popular/mainstream is bad.

Oh I guess we shouldn't be listening to the Beatles, they're the most popular band of all time, they must suck. And Metallica? Pssh **** them, they must suck too. Can't listen to Guns N' Roses either, they're pretty popular as well.
I don't like the Beatles, mainstream Metallica does suck, and most popular GnR isn't as good as their other stuff.

80's > 70's > 90's > 60's > 00's > 50's

Keep in mind, I hate neither of these decades, all have gold.
The '90's and '00's were better than the '50's? Lies.

But I do feel that it's stupid to tell someone that their music is crap, because it is opinion. You don't have to like the music or pretend to, I just don't enjoy it when people bash people's opinions.
Anberlin still sucks, sorry. Hahah. Just messing.

Metal Samus

Smash Rookie
I feel the same way. Rock is not what it once was. Of course, it's because of this that some bands will always remain legends...

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me why the themes of blatant sex, drugs, rock and roll and corny love songs became the norm for mainstream rock?
Personally I enjoy sex, drugs, corny love songs and the whatnot.
I guess you could create some music that fits your tastes. Or pack your Ipod full of tunes you enjoy. Really the radio is crap. Nothing but mainstream generic music. If you look hard enough you'll find some good stuff, of all genres.

DRD

Smash Lord
Haha, good point. They were heavily influenced by the Sparks' later career, they even admit to wanting to do what the Sparks did, but that's not who I was talking about. I was talking about ripping off the early, Kimono My House era Sparks. HINT: Rhymes with "Pween"
Queen!?

I like Queen

Well, a few of their songs

I haven't really listened to albums by them or anything

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Haha, good point. They were heavily influenced by the Sparks' later career, they even admit to wanting to do what the Sparks did, but that's not who I was talking about. I was talking about ripping off the early, Kimono My House era Sparks. HINT: Rhymes with "Pween"
Queen was amazing, and Freddie Mercury might be the greatest vocalist/frontman in the history of music.

And Queen is most definitely not glam; they were good ol' rock and roll. How can anybody dislike Queen? That is beyond me!

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
At this point I think anyone who mentions Linkin Park needs to be banned for a week. Time and time again the media metropolis has proven that it is incapable of mentioning Linkin Park in a thread without divulging into praising/bashing. Linkin Park derails every topic they're mentioned in and love then or hate them they cannot be discussed in a mature fashion here.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
At this point I think anyone who mentions Linkin Park needs to be banned for a week. Time and time again the media metropolis has proven that it is incapable of mentioning Linkin Park in a thread without divulging into praising/bashing. Linkin Park derails every topic they're mentioned in and love then or hate them they cannot be discussed in a mature fashion here.
Them and Papa Roach. And Limp Bizkit. And Nickelback. God... I ****ing hate nickelback

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Um...no offense, but that's not really fair. People may not be capable of discussing it maturely, but then why is it the person/people who brought it up's fault? Shouldn't it be the ones who can't discuss it properly who are punished?

Not to mention, a week-long temp ban is quite extreme for merely mentioning a band. And that prevents ANY discussion of the band whatsoever, which is also quite extreme.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not JUST rock that's dying...

2 words: Soulja Boy...

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Um...no offense, but that's not really fair. People may not be capable of discussing it maturely, but then why is it the person/people who brought it up's fault? Shouldn't it be the ones who can't discuss it properly who are punished?

Not to mention, a week-long temp ban is quite extreme for merely mentioning a band. And that prevents ANY discussion of the band whatsoever, which is also quite extreme.
I'm almost positive that he was using an exaggeration to point out the annoyance of Linkin Park debates.

cryptic metaphor

Smash Rookie
I actually think rock is on a rise, but in a bad way. Indie is making it's way up as "mainstream" and most of it is pretty crappy. :/

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I'll lay down the Linkin Park law: I own Hybrid Theory (actually I copied it from a friend), and it is, at the most, a decent album. The lyrics are cleaver, but that's about the height of Linkin' Park's creative genius. Otherwise, they're pure energy (just like Saliva). When it comes to music, energy only goes so far, until it gets tiring, and you realize that there isn't a lot of skill required in building an energy. Tool taught me that the songs that create true energy are ones that don't need to sound like Linkin' Park, but instead, they should speak to you, in a way that gets you energized in your own way.

And in case people perceived me as searching for music to listen to.....don't. I already know that the best music is the stuff that's not on the radio, and because of that, I tend to listen to my own music most of the time anyways.

I'm just indignant at the fact that mainstream rock's taking a turn for the worst. Sometimes I wish that the artists that truly deserve to be recognized were rewarded. Don't believe me? Look at the nominees for the Grammys:

Best Hard Rock Performance
* "Inside the Fire" – Disturbed
* "Visions" – Judas Priest
* "Wax Simulacra" – The Mars Volta
* "Saints of Los Angeles" – Mötley Crüe
* "Lords of Salem" – Rob Zombie

Best Metal Performance
* "Heroes of Our Time" – DragonForce
* "Nostradamus" – Judas Priest
* "My Apocalypse" – Metallica
* "Under My Thumb" – Ministry
* "Psychosocial" – Slipknot

Inside the Fire, My Apocalypse, and Psychosocial (to a certain degree) are the only relevant songs up there. Since when was The Mars Volta considered Hard Rock? And why in God's name is Dragonforce even a nominee for anything other than "Universe's Worst Rock Band"? Something's wrong here.

Top Bottom