• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Rock dead/dying?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Best Hard Rock Performance
* "Inside the Fire" – Disturbed
* "Visions" – Judas Priest
* "Wax Simulacra" – The Mars Volta
* "Saints of Los Angeles" – Mötley Crüe
* "Lords of Salem" – Rob Zombie

Best Metal Performance
* "Heroes of Our Time" – DragonForce
* "Nostradamus" – Judas Priest
* "My Apocalypse" – Metallica
* "Under My Thumb" – Ministry
* "Psychosocial" – Slipknot

Inside the Fire, My Apocalypse, and Psychosocial (to a certain degree) are the only relevant songs up there. Since when was The Mars Volta considered Hard Rock? And why in God's name is Dragonforce even a nominee for anything other than "Universe's Worst Rock Band"? Something's wrong here.
Rob Zombie isn't hard rock?
Mötley Crüe isn't hard rock?
Judas Priest and Ministry aren't metal?

Psychosocial isn't relevant at all, because it isn't metal. My Apocalypse isn't relevant either, as Death Magnetic isn't metal.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Well.. The music industry as a whole is becoming more commercial and mainstream, so that's the main reason for all this new ****ty bands that emerge. I mean, Disney saw opportunity in the music world and is throwing in sh*tloads of bands. Its just another age in music

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
And why in God's name is Dragonforce even a nominee for anything other than "Universe's Worst Rock Band"? Something's wrong here.
I like a few Dragonforce songs, not a fan of them. But I would definitely not say "universe's worst band". From what I've heard, it's decent speed metal.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I like a few Dragonforce songs, not a fan of them. But I would definitely not say "universe's worst band". From what I've heard, it's decent speed metal.
No, it's not. At all. By any means it's power metal, and terrible at that. The studio productions are alright, but the lyrics are shallow at best, and the songs are all extremely formulated. The only person with any sort of talent in the entire band is Herman Lee. Their live shows are terrible, add in the fact that the drummer uses a modded kick pedal that turns a fourth note into three sixteenth notes, and you have a terrible band. Also, annoying fanboys who think they're the most metal things since sliced bread make Dragonforce even worse.

I'd definitely say that Priest is metal. But Motley Crue is definitely metal, that's for sure.
Well. Crue is old school metal, but not by todays standards.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Crue is still metal/heavy metal. It's just not as heavy as some of today's metal/death metal/power metal/speed metal/black metal/thrash metal/etc metal.

Also, since I don't know a whole lot about Dragonforce, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I only like a couple of their songs; and by couple I mean 4. And I've also only heard 4 of their songs. But I don't think the lyrics are supposed to be deep, they are derived from epics/myths/tales, and I think they reflect that.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Crue is still metal/heavy metal. It's just not as heavy as some of today's metal/death metal/power metal/speed metal/black metal/thrash metal/etc metal.
Which is what I'm saying. Poison, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Crue and the like would be considered hard rock by todays music scene. That being said, the Grammies nomination of Motley Crue's song as a best Hard Rock performance is justified.

Also, since I don't know a whole lot about Dragonforce, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I only like a couple of their songs; and by couple I mean 4. And I've also only heard 4 of their songs. But I don't think the lyrics are supposed to be deep, they are derived from epics/myths/tales, and I think they reflect that.
Oh believe me, I know about songs derived from fantasy/myths. The entire discography of Symphony X is based off of one myth or another. But these lyrics are so generic to the point that you can almost guess the words that are going to come next in a song you've never heard before. I can write some write now.

"In the night, the glory of the sky will shine bright
As the flame of the warrior's spirit
The battle, the steel, clashing so real!"

It reflects pointless nonsense.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, growing up in the hard rock age of the late 80s early 90s I conclude that true non-commercial rock is disappearing. Considering that the masses (a.k.a 12 year old girls) love whatever crap spews from the Jonas Brothers/Hannah Montana's mouth. By comparison, alot of early teen boys are interested in the good rock of bygone days. Also, obsessed fans of ****ty metal groups (a.k.a Dragonforce) is making me mad too. Reminds me of Twilight (****ty literature becomes phenomenon). I'm starting to think anything featured on Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Whatever other guitar sim they make, will instantly sell out. By the way, I like arena and prog rock.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey.

Out of the blue
and into the black
They give you this,
but you pay for that
And once you're gone,
you can never come back
When you're out of the blue
and into the black.

The king is gone
but he's not forgotten
This is the story
of a Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out
than it is to rust
The king is gone
but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

Scott!

Smash Lord
"Rock 'n roll is here to stay,
It will never die
It was meant to be that way,
Though I don't know why
I don't care what people say,
Rock 'n roll is here to stay

(We don't care what people say, rock 'n roll is here to stay)

Rock 'n roll will always be
Our ticket to the end
It will go down in history,
Just you wait, my friend
Rock 'n roll will always be,
It'll go down in history

(Rock 'n roll will always be, it'll go down in history)

So come on,
Everybody rock,
Everybody rock,
Everybody rock,
Everybody rock
Everybody rock

Now everybody rock 'n roll,
Everybody rock 'n roll,
Everybody rock 'n roll
Everybody rock 'n roll,
Everybody rock 'n roll

Rock 'n roll will always be
Our ticket to the end
It will go down in history,
Just you wait, my friend
Rock 'n roll will always be,
It'll go down in history
If you don't like rock 'n roll,
Think what you've been missin'
But if you like to bop and strawl,
Come on down and listen
Let's all start to have a ball,
Everybody rock 'n roll

Ah, oh baby, ah, oh baby, ah, oh baby, ah, oh baby, rock!"

Though personally, I think rock lost its roll when the saxophone lost its significance. I miss that stuff. And by miss, I mean I was born 20 years too late to hear it in its heyday.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Hmm, growing up in the hard rock age of the late 80s early 90s I conclude that true non-commercial rock is disappearing.
I think part of it is the changing music industry. For example, Guns N' Roses had to wade through a ton of crap before their stuff got put out. They were often untimely and unorganized while working on Appetite. No record company today would put up with that or give them a chance. When they completed their material, it was so different from everything else that was playing, nobody would air the Welcome to the Jungle music video or play it, until Geffen pulled some strings and convinced MTV to air it... in the dead of the night. No radio station was willing to play it because it was so unlike anything else that was out at the time.

It took a lot of effort to get that album out. It was only because Geffen allowed the band to retain full creative control of their music that the masterpiece was made in the first place. Nowadays, no record company will let a band retain full creative rights; they'll only let them produce what they think will appease the masses.

The truth is that the industry has become much less tolerant of noncompliant bands. The only thing bands are allowed to put out is processed, commercial crap. If a band like Guns N' Roses were to form today, it would never succeed because it would never be encouraged to take its own direction, it wouldn't be allowed to taste the limelight. The record labels wouldn't allow it. The result of modern day music, then, is a lot of crap that all sounds the same.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
ive grown on to rap, back in the 90s , we had pretty good songs. but now, its just annoying songs and just rap wihout rythm. heck most lyrics dont ryhme no more. man...that makes me sore, for sure(80% of songs). the 2007-2008 song were ok, it was always songs with good lyrics

im starting to like rock now, ever since i started playing guitar hero. (metallica, tool, system of a down is decent to...but too wild) i hope it isnt too late to love rock now

Top Bottom