• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it really the game's lag or is just people's slow internet? Come here and find out

Looper

Smash Journeyman

hoping this is somewhat good

also, lower ping is better, right?

reflex-

Smash Rookie
Routing is the function of the router.

Why are you even arguing petty semantics...this is not a Me>You thread...>_>.

@Megavitamins: You're fine.
he's actually completely right, did you even click the link? lol

all your posts are full of misinformation and this thread is far beyond pointless... question, are you just stupid or was the intent of this thread for you to brag about your faster interwebz? either way thylanter took a dump on you in both categories. :laugh:

j/w, were you homeschooled? seems like it. :laugh:

thylanter

Smash Rookie
Routing is the function of the router.

Why are you even arguing petty semantics...this is not a Me>You thread...>_>.

@Megavitamins: You're fine.
Petty semantics? Me>You thread? What are you on about? I mention routing (as in hops that packets take to reach their destination) and you mention ROUTERS. You seem to have a very limited understanding of how this kind of stuff works, I would strongly advise against trying to sound smart because all you've been doing thus far is digging yourself a grave of ignorance. :)

This is such a load of ****.

Anyone who has a clue knows that online games require very little in way of actual bandwidth numbers. 2mbit/.6mbit is FINE. It's the ping (in milliseconds) to the server or who you're playing with that matters.
BINGO. Ping, or latency, is determined upon how long it takes data to travel from point A to point B. Now, along this route, the data gets routed through various places. This is called routing. The number of places it gets routed through is called hops. Some ISPs have better/worse routing to certain destinations than others. Think of it this way, say you're driving from Chicago to Dallas, would you get there faster by driving straight there (stopping for gas when needed of course), or by making a detour to Georgia first? Straight there, right? Too bad that's not how the internet works (yet).

TIP: Go into cmd (Start->Run->cmd->Enter) and type tracert smashboards.com

What you see there is your route from you to this site. Personally it took me 11 hops to reach smashboards with a 30ms ping, if I got here on the 6th hop I would have 15ms ping. NOTE: Trace routing your friend's IP may not work if they are behind a NAT (router) due to filtering of ICMP echos.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace

hmm.. I fail. :(

@ above: I lag a lot.. and I tried that, 9 hops.. but all hops are ping 100+ ms.. except for the second, third and fourth line, they are 15-20 ms... is that good?

HolyChef

Smash Ace
its input delay, not lag. and if u arent that technical, u wont notice it
thank you. i was waiting for someone to post a response like this.

dude dreiko the thing is that ur too used to playing this way way. by u saying these things i highly doubt u played melee and also doubt u play with people in person at tournament or even at home. if u did, u would totally notice the difference. also even if ur connection was godly, which its not, the other person would always have to be godly for there to even be a chance of no input delay, lag, or whatever.

End of line!

Netz0r

Smash Rookie

Besides Verizon being a crapbag of holy wonder fail, I rarely lag in most games. Brawl's input delay during "With Anyone" is the closest I come to lag. However, "With Friends," my connections are all green/yellow, with very little/bearable delay.

Also, our connection is separated onto three computers, two systems, etc (pretty sure that doesn't matter, though, also my friend was playing an online game during this test xD).

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I can't copy my results for some reason, so I will just post my results...

Is a download of 1251 kb/s, and upload of 210, with 92 ms ping and <50 mi poor, ok, or good?

I'd appreciate it if you told me this, b/c i dont kno what these letters really mean or what a good range is.

Veysey

Smash Cadet

Thats my PC... my Wii gets anywheres between 200-1000 dl speed and ~120 (very stable) ul speed... ping usually ~70.

Can anyone tell me how to stabilize my Wiis connection? I'll check one minute and it will be like 400 dl and check the next and it would be 200... check a third for 600. Its all over the place. I asked a friend to check his out for me and his stays stable.

Can anyone offer advice/information on what I can do with my Wii/what might be the problem?

ilovemywife

Smash Rookie
where u living that ur getting such slow speed with shaw??? i think maybe the service in ur area is screwed or there something wrong with ur router/pc.

also u guyz, download n uploda smeed hardly matter, go play sum online gamez n get a bandwidz meter ... online gamez usze veri ltitle bandwids. the impordand thing is ur ping.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Ehem... I think my test is the weirdest.

Edit: And that's my PC :( my upload speed seems unusually fast in comparison to my download speed.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
:d

SHI-T, something's wrong here :(
No, nothings wrong here. See, I got brawl yesterday and today I did an "with anyone" - match with some random marth, and guess what? Almoust no lag, just a little little bit, not to bother at all. Just doesn't make sense when looking at my connection speeds, oh I was using wireless connection.

Just happy

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
My connection is quite a bit worse than a lot of people's here and I've had very little input lag playing with Americans on the east coast! I'm in the UK.

shiva39

Smash Journeyman
How important do you suppose up speed is? Probably as important as down speed, yeah? My up speed is capping at 500 kbps.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
I dunno much about what causes lag and stuff.. but I used to lag as hell with my wii connected directly to my router (router = downstairs, wii = upstairs (however, moving my wii downstairs didn't help a lot..)) but now I'm connected with wi-fi USB connector stick (which I have put in my PC upstairs, which is connected with wireless internet with the router downstairs, signal:78%) and now I have no lag at all from my side.. some matches lag a bit, but that's the other guy I think, because I have played matches with NO lag at all.. and my wii is right next to my pc.

Trilkin

Smash Rookie
TRILKIN PROTIP:

Your U/D speeds don't matter worth garbage unless they're freakishly low (sub 200kbs.) Your ping is what matters. I thought we learned this back in 1996.

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
god dammit why do i lag everytime, everymatch. i have a 600 kb/s download speed internet (in this tester it says like 4000 or something and 600 kb/s upload speed) but i still lag.
i did the DMZ thing to my wii's ip address, restarted my router and i STILL get delays on my attacks. its like having 300 ping in CounterStrike with the delays in shooting and stuff.

what could be the problem? Im sure its not because im using a gamecube controller, a lot of my friends use gamecube controllers and they dont have any lag/delay problems. And other ways to remove lag instead of using 25$ to buy a USB thing? im too poor.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
i bought a usb adapter and it works well. now i play wireless and it has no problems. somehow it seems to decide when to connect or not lol.
i geuss this post was of no help lol :)

Zero-MD

Smash Cadet

anybody mind helping me with this? i did the test during a match of anyone

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Internet speed isn't the only thing that affects lag. In fact, I only see internet speed affecting button delay. What affects lag is internet activity. If you're downloading something, You'll unintentionally learn all about your character's frames. If someone is on the internet while you're playing, it's going to lag as well.

~rh

Smash Lord
Button lag has killed me on quite a few occasions. Dumb ****.

Awesomesauce

Smash Rookie

i think its good, but this is for cable. when i play on wi-fi, i lag like ****. i will disconnect like 10 seconds after i connect to the wi-fi. any tips for fixing it? btw, my router is across my whole entire house and at the first floor, could this be a problem?

BrianYDG

Smash Cadet

This is for Wireless 54mps.

I think it's all dependent on the Upload speed, along with Firewall/Crap in the router or whatever. Not sure though.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
My connection? (this pc)

What. The. Freakin'. MUDKIPS!!!!

Dare I say it... G. A. Y!

EMBARRASSED NOW, Kayzee?! (Well, I do have a about... 5-6 computers running at the same time... might be higher if turn 'em off)

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
My results. Diagnosis?

Here's my results from speedtest.net, and here's a list of things I have done to improve my SSBB connection:

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how to lose the lag, and I've tried just about everything I can think of... Would you describe in detail how your connection is set up? Maybe you're doing something right that I missed. Here's what I've done so far:

- Got a Linksys wireless-N (wireless-N is better than wireless-G, I think) router, set it up
- Put my Wii on a static IP, set its bandwidth priority to highest
- Set my Wii's static IP's last two digits pretty far from our other IPs, to minimalize interference
- Set router's radio bands and channels to auto (I tried channels 1 & 11, didn't help much)
- Port forwarded the six ranges from the old online problems topic (might only help With Anyone matches)
- My Wii is pretty far from my router (1 out of 3 bars signal). There's two thick wood & plaster walls between my Wii and the router, but our internet technician said only concrete and lead significantly blocks WiFi signals. One day I moved my Wii to right beside the router, but there was still lots of lag, so I moved it back. My computer is in the same room as my Wii, and it gets 4 out of 5 bars... Odd.

Any ideas? I'd love to Brawl without the lag spikes --- they severely hinder serious online play. Thanks for helping!

BTW, here's an idea I had: I've got a long ethernet cable, and if I got a LAN adapter for my Wii, I might could connect it to the internet through a wired connection instead of via WiFi. I figure it probably wouldn't help much, though, unless LAN signals are significantly stronger and faster than WiFi. Plus, I'd still have to go through WiFi to get from my computer to the router --- there's no way I can connect a wire straight to my router from my Wii, unless I get a second router (too expensive)... Blarg. :/
Anyone got a diagnosis? :ohwell:

shizzlee

Smash Apprentice

My connection seems inferior to most connections in the thread, but the my games are not really not that laggy. The only thing I hate is the button delays.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
My connection? (this pc)

What. The. Freakin'. MUDKIPS!!!!

Dare I say it... G. A. Y!

EMBARRASSED NOW, Kayzee?! (Well, I do have a about... 5-6 computers running at the same time... might be higher if turn 'em off)
Actually, my speed is a bit higher than that, but it's still embarrassingly low.

Myrmidon

Smash Cadet

and my 2 minute matches take upwards of 5 minutes...and that's on a good one...

and powercycling my modem doesn't help the connection at all. Maybe 1 match will be at normal speed, if I'm lucky.

...are you sure about this speed VS server theory?

Tenki

Smash Hero

and my 2 minute matches take upwards of 5 minutes...and that's on a good one...

and powercycling my modem doesn't help the connection at all. Maybe 1 match will be at normal speed, if I'm lucky.

...are you sure about this speed VS server theory?
it could be that the people you play against have slower connections, or someone's trying to download crap (can be on your side or theirs) while you're playing.

Top Bottom