• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me, or does Ultimate feel more... Violent

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
After watching a ton of footage of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, one key thing I noticed was that everything feels punchier and more visceral than previous games in the series. The hits land harder, the moves feel more intense, and the inclusion of more stylized elements like the dramatic zoom in on a last stock kill. The Final Smashes, especially the ones for the newcomers, also feel more intense and extreme, I doubt you would've seen anything like Ridley's or King DeDeDe's Ultimate Final Smashes in Smash 4. All of this is amplified by the new balloon knock-back which only makes each hit feel more intense.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Yeah, I have to agree. Not to mention Ridley's entire moveset is abnormally brutal for Smash. All this combined with the trailers, I really don't like how dark and brutal Ultimate seems to be getting. Nobody got brutally murdered in Smash 4's trailers until Bayonetta, in fact in some regards they seemed rather shy about showing characters actually get hit, and when they did they were launched like in-game. It's weird and kind of disturbing.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The only thing that seems more violent than usual are the cgi trailers. Ya got
:ultinkling: scarred for life by a flaming Smash Ball
:ultridley:stabbing :ultmegaman: through the stomach/chest and :ultmario: getting his neck snapped/skull crushed/brain smooshed
:ultluigi:getting his soul snatched away from him

But then you got :ultkingdedede:getting ***** slapped for being a troll and the rest of Smash being normal violence
Yeah, I have to agree. Not to mention Ridley's entire moveset is abnormally brutal for Smash. All this combined with the trailers, I really don't like how dark and brutal Ultimate seems to be getting. Nobody got brutally murdered in Smash 4's trailers until Bayonetta, in fact in some regards they seemed rather shy about showing characters actually get hit, and when they did they were launched like in-game. It's weird and kind of disturbing.
Nobody died in Bayonetta’s trailer though (Pit got a simple “Game Over” and showed up in the rest of the Direct as one of the many punching bags Bayo has while Dark Pit only lost his manhood).

Besides, Ridley can not be violent and brutal (no neutering allowed for him)

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It doesn't bother me much, as long as there's no blood. I can't imagine a Smash game where Kirby bleeds.

D

Deleted member

Yea I noticed this. Its strange, but im assuming they are bringing a bit of brawl's 'darkness' into the game? I think I like it, but it was sad seing Luigi get his soul literally slashed right out of him....

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
I haven't noticed it being more violent than usual at all. Only Ridley, but that's kind of Ridley's thing.
What I'm saying is that in Ultimate, every hit feels like it has weight to it, it feels like these characters are actually fighting, whereas Smash 4 felt like weightless slapstick in comparison, then you have the reworked Final Smashes, which feel more intense and screen filling than Smash 4's, and the new visual touches for 1v1 fights like the dramatic zoom ins for final stock KOs or strong attacks. Ultimate feels like it's trying to be flashier and more stylish than Smash 4's comparatively safe aesthetic

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i love it, the brutality is REALLY satisfying.

the fact that they're even straight-up MURDERING characters in the reveal trailers is just hilarious to me.

i hope it keeps up, honestly.

GoogleSama

Smash Rookie
What I'm saying is that in Ultimate, every hit feels like it has weight to it, it feels like these characters are actually fighting, whereas Smash 4 felt like weightless slapstick in comparison, then you have the reworked Final Smashes, which feel more intense and screen filling than Smash 4's, and the new visual touches for 1v1 fights like the dramatic zoom ins for final stock KOs or strong attacks. Ultimate feels like it's trying to be flashier and more stylish than Smash 4's comparatively safe aesthetic
They did mention that the hits would be punchier. They wanted to make the mechanics different than Smash 4. They talk about it in one of the Nintendo Direct's if memory serves.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
When are they adding Chrom and K. Rool to the emotes? Er, I mean, yeah the game seems a bit darker, but not as dreary as Brawl. I don't think it's a huge difference though, Ridley's moves don't seem abnormally brutal to me. Sure he grinds you along the ground and impales you with such force your body shuts down momentarily, but Ganondorf does his fair bit of strangling and I'm pretty sure Luigi did a demonic ritual for his Final Smash in Brawl.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It doesn't bother me much, as long as there's no blood. I can't imagine a Smash game where Kirby bleeds.
While not always responsible for a Mature rating, blood and gore tend to be big red cards for a lot of Nintendo's franchises. In fact, the only M-rated franchises in Smash Ultimate (so far) are 3rd party.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
Yeah. Some of the new cinematic Final Smashes feel like some of the Supers found in the Injustice games. I mean look at Ridley's and King K. Rool's for crying out loud.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I prefer that way. I always preferred when it goes into a darker tone than just cartoonish stuff (for example, The Subspace Emissary was cool). I also love the new characters we got, no pokemon or "happy-sugar-life" characters. With all the trailers we got so far, it gives Super Smash Bros. Ultimate a serious tone and I like it. Now, we just need a epic story-mode.

Last edited:
i love it, the brutality is REALLY satisfying.

the fact that they're even straight-up MURDERING characters in the reveal trailers is just hilarious to me.

i hope it keeps up, honestly.
Agreed. I actually loved the darkness of Brawl, and I'm happy that, at least in the trailers, the game seems to be taking a slightly darker direction.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Good, I liked that about Melee and Brawl
Same. While Melee didn't deserve the T rating, I enjoyed Brawl's somewhat darker attitude. Skintight ZSS? Buff guy with an RPG and grenades? Jigglypuff? Brawl definitely did well with the darker atmosphere.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I hope it goes a bit darker, I hate how Smash 4 handles combat, it didn’t feel fun, unlike Brawl where it felt more like hits mattered. Smash 4’s art style is nice, but the more cartoonish mechanics made me get bored of it faster. I’ve actually grown to have more of an appreciation towards Brawl’s choice for going in a darker direction.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I hope it goes a bit darker, I hate how Smash 4 handles combat, it didn’t feel fun, unlike Brawl where it felt more like hits mattered. Smash 4’s art style is nice, but the more cartoonish mechanics made me get bored of it faster. I’ve actually grown to have more of an appreciation towards Brawl’s choice for going in a darker direction.
This, but as long as there's more hitstun than Brawl.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Yea I noticed this. Its strange, but im assuming they are bringing a bit of brawl's 'darkness' into the game? I think I like it, but it was sad seing Luigi get his soul literally slashed right out of him....
I dont care about Luigi's death. Seriously, Mario and Luigi are probably the characters that die the most in any game. They literally die falling into holes, attacked by koopas, eaten by plants, hit by bullets, they die all the time you play their games. And then they just get a new life. So if you think that way, it wasn't really that bad and I feel some people are overreacting to it a bit.

Last edited:

forwardaerial

Smash Cadet
To me it feels like it's just more dramatic. There's zoom - ins when you hit someone hard, Final Smashes are fast and exciting! But just my thoughts.

As for everyone"dying" in the trailers it just a coincidence to me, these trailers are just a fun little way to announce new characters.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
To me it feels like it's just more dramatic. There's zoom - ins when you hit someone hard, Final Smashes are fast and exciting! But just my thoughts.
Iirc didn't they mention in the Direct or Treehouse gameplay afterwards that they were going for a bit more of a cinematic experience? Even if they're not, we definitely esports now.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I dont care about Luigi's death. Seriously, Mario and Luigi are probably the characters that die the most in any game. They literally die falling into holes, attacked by koopas, eaten by plants, hit by bullets, they die all the time you play their games. And then they just get a new life. So if you think that way, it wasn't really that bad and I feel some people are overreacting to it a bit.
there is a difference between those silly deaths of mario and luigi freaking out upon being touched by an enemy, or the off-screen pitfall deaths... and straight-up having your neck broken/skull crushed on-screen, and having a sharp blade tear its way through your body and violently rip your soul out.

even megaman, when he dies in his games, he just explodes into light... he's shown teleporting onto and off of stages as a beam of light in his games, too... so it's not very shocking.

but in ridley's trailer, he is violently impaled through the chest, and it just lingers there... no magical explosion of light or anything... megaman is just stuck on the sharp end of a spear-like tail belonging to a murderous monster.

pretty big difference between those types of deaths.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, Ridley and Death aren't exactly softies like how some villains have been lately. These include Bowser, King Dedede, and Meta Knight. Yes, yes, I am aware that King Dedede and Meta Knight aren't always villainous toward Kirby, but this seems only true when there's a greater threat. The same can be said of Bowser as well. Ridley and Death just lack that part about them.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nintendo games were always dark. Only the Mario series and Pokemon are on the lighter side.

Marth kills many people in his games. Some were good. But it's war and terrible things happen in war.

Samus wants to kill Ridley to avenge her parents.

Ridley has destroyed entire cities and revels in murder.

Not even going to get into the Mother series

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Nintendo games were always dark. Only the Mario series and Pokemon are on the lighter side.

Marth kills many people in his games. Some were good. But it's war and terrible things happen in war.

Samus wants to kill Ridley to avenge her parents.

Ridley has destroyed entire cities and revels in murder.

Not even going to get into the Mother series
And K Rool steals bananas, who ever said Nintendo was for kids is lying to themselves if they don’t acknowledge the M-Rated deeds of the Crocodile King.

D

Deleted member

I dont care about Luigi's death. Seriously, Mario and Luigi are probably the characters that die the most in any game. T
True. But im just saying Nintendo is taking things a bit more violent then usual. And honestly, it isn't really a big deal. Just throwing my opinion out there...

Morbi

Scavenger
As someone who plays Mortal Kombat, I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. It seems the same as Smash 4 to me. I never really viewed any of this cartoon violence as vaguely realistic. Then again, the same applies to Mortal Kombat and they literally eviscerate people in that game. So maybe it is just me.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
As someone who plays Mortal Kombat, I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. It seems the same as Smash 4 to me. I never really viewed any of this cartoon violence as vaguely realistic. Then again, the same applies to Mortal Kombat and they literally eviscerate people in that game. So maybe it is just me.
I don't mean Violent in that sense. I mean everything in Ultimate feels more aggressive, stylish, and intense. Smash 4 felt like Brightly colored slapstick, where as this feels more like a high stakes fighting game.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Characters still have cloud trails when they get hit hard (at least this is an improvement over ****ing rocket trails). I don't know what you're talking about with hits seeming harder or w/e.

As far as Ridley, yeah it's kind of ****ed up that he impales people. Maybe Yoshimitsu should be in Smash now. I also hate the gameplay being interrupted with special move cutscenes, but that's independent of the violence.

Personally, I think overly violent or sexual characters like Snake and Bayonetta (and maybe Ridley?) shouldn't be in Smash.

Top Bottom