• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me, or does Ultimate feel more... Violent

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Characters still have cloud trails when they get hit hard (at least this is an improvement over ****ing rocket trails). I don't know what you're talking about with hits seeming harder or w/e.
Watch Ultimate's gameplay very closely, notice how every hit feels like it has more impact, like it hits harder.

I also hate the gameplay being interrupted with special move cutscenes, but that's independent of the violence.
I presume it's done to make the game appear more stylish for spectators. More than Smash 4, they're really trying to make the game exciting to watch.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Watch Ultimate's gameplay very closely, notice how every hit feels like it has more impact, like it hits harder.
It looks like better animation, maybe with more detailed hitboxes, combined with the camera jumping more when someone gets hit (in 1v1 without items).

I presume it's done to make the game appear more stylish for spectators. More than Smash 4, they're really trying to make the game exciting to watch.
Melee is incredibly exciting for spectators.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
It looks like better animation, maybe with more detailed hitboxes, combined with the camera jumping more when someone gets hit (in 1v1 without items).
That's what I mean. Every move feels like it has more weight to it, making you feel the impact of each move more.

Melee is incredibly exciting for spectators.
What does Melee have to do with this? I'm not denying that Melee is fun for spectators, I'm saying the developers are trying to make the game flashier and more exciting to watch by adding in a lot more visual effects. You seem to be countering an argument I never made.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That's what I mean. Every move feels like it has more weight to it, making you feel the impact of each move more.

What does Melee have to do with this? I'm not denying that Melee is fun for spectators, I'm saying the developers are trying to make the game flashier and more exciting to watch by adding in a lot more visual effects. You seem to be countering an argument I never made.
My point was that none of this stuff is necessary for the game to be more fun for spectators.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
As someone who plays Mortal Kombat, I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. It seems the same as Smash 4 to me. I never really viewed any of this cartoon violence as vaguely realistic. Then again, the same applies to Mortal Kombat and they literally eviscerate people in that game. So maybe it is just me.
i've played mortal kombat since i was young, and even i can see that the tone has shifted in ultimate.

compared to previous games, ultimate definitely has a bit of a darker tone, which isn't necessarily a bad thing... again, i personally enjoy it.

D

Deleted member

I hope it goes a bit darker, I hate how Smash 4 handles combat, it didn’t feel fun, unlike Brawl where it felt more like hits mattered. Smash 4’s art style is nice, but the more cartoonish mechanics made me get bored of it faster. I’ve actually grown to have more of an appreciation towards Brawl’s choice for going in a darker direction.
I must comment that it hurts my soul that you talk about Brawl like its not the worst game in the series but anyway i think we have nothing to worry about if it gets out of hand they will lose sells and the next game will improve on the last i think Melee is the perfect balance between fighting and the overall charm of the game 64 is the base for the next games Melee got a lot more sleek which was perfect Brawl was well...Brawl smash 4 was like Mickey mouse clubhouse bright Ultimate needs to be watered down a bit but is good for the most part.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I think a lot of this simply has to do 2 of the 4 completely new character (3 if you count Richter) reveals have been characters where violence/darker tones are kind of unavoidable. Namely, Ridley and Simon/Richter.

One is one of the most ruthless villains in Nintendo's character catalog and the other(s) fights demons for a living. So their trailers kinda' reflected that.

The Inklings trailer was meant to be big and epic and catch people off guard, and K.Rool LOOKED intimidating but he's a giant, violent crocodile.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Super Smash Bros: Infinity War

It doesn't bother me much, as long as there's no blood. I can't imagine a Smash game where Kirby bleeds.
That's because Kirby kills eldritch horrors on a routine basis and goes on genocidal rampages whenever someone is braindead enough to try taking his food away. If they put in blood, Kirby wouldn't be the one bleeding.

Last edited:

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Now that it's mentioned, I do admit it feels less slapstick and cartoony... I like it more than Smash 4, to be honest.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I wouldn't consider it a trend yet. I am not reading much into the reveal trailers. I think it is simple Nintendo having fun introducing each one.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I definitely think it's a case of Nintendo going all-in on this entry, and how hard-hitting they want it to feel with this literally being the "Ultimate" Smash. There have been some really incredible reveals that wouldn't have been as good if they held back on them. I'm glad they're working hard to bring Ultimate to its peak, even if they have to cross a few lines you wouldn't quite expect them to just to drive home that this is the big one we didn't think would happen. I'd say it's very successful in getting the intended reaction. I've loved every minute of it, it just feels heavy.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I find ironic about this thread is that Smash Ultimate still follows a more cartoonish art style (much like with Smash 3DS / Wii U), instead of Brawl's more realistic approach.

What I find ironic about this thread is that Smash Ultimate still follows a more cartoonish art style (much like with Smash 3DS / Wii U), instead of Brawl's more realistic approach.
From what I can tell, the artstyle is more subdued than Smash 4, and the textures for most characters have more detail. It feels to me like a cross between Smash 4 and Brawl's artstyle.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You know, the most violent character in Smash 4 was actually Bowser Jr. Which is saying something considering how vibrant and cartoony that game was aesthetically compared to other games.

Wow, what a horribly appropriate avatar!
Wow, what an even more horribly appropriate avatar!

From what I can tell, the artstyle is more subdued than Smash 4, and the textures for most characters have more detail. It feels to me like a cross between Smash 4 and Brawl's artstyle.
I agree. You can tell not only by returning veterans like Mario or Fox, but newcomers as well. Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool would feel so out of place in Smash 4, for example.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, when you look at someone like Bowser Jr., the art differences between Smash 3DS / Wii U and Smash Ultimate are almost negligible. The same could also be said for Rosalina.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Still, when you look at someone like Bowser Jr., the art differences between Smash 3DS / Wii U and Smash Ultimate are almost negligible. The same could also be said for Rosalina.
Ultimate seems to be going for "Stylized" darkness, rather than Brawl's "Real is Brown" approach. It feels much closer aesthetically to an ASW fighter than say, Smash 4.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I must comment that it hurts my soul that you talk about Brawl like its not the worst game in the series but anyway i think we have nothing to worry about if it gets out of hand they will lose sells and the next game will improve on the last i think Melee is the perfect balance between fighting and the overall charm of the game 64 is the base for the next games Melee got a lot more sleek which was perfect Brawl was well...Brawl smash 4 was like Mickey mouse clubhouse bright Ultimate needs to be watered down a bit but is good for the most part.
I made a thread to talk about the best Smash, were I list all my reasons for liking Brawl. Honestly, the hate just needs to stop, I’m glad that with the release of Smash Ultimate, there seems to be a resurgence in Brawl’s popularity, with many talking about how it may possibly be the best Smash title, just check out Scott The Woz or Nathaniel Bandy.

Here’s the link if you want my reasoning: https://smashboards.com/threads/fav...king-the-previous-smash-titles-thread.457403/

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I feel the game hits harder, and some videos of some characters are a bit dark with some of them "dying", even if we know it is just a temporary thing. At the same time, this is the most bright and colorful Smash ever, and this compensates everything to me. If you compare the characters of Smash 4 with Smash Ultimate you can see the characters are much more bright, like if they had a white glow around them:

Also, we have the colored smoke effects that makes everything more colorful:

If we compare to the WiiU game, the smoke trail was just gray smoke:

So, even if we are having some more hard punchs and camera movement (that I really like), it also is a more colorful game.
The deaths on the CG videos we know it is just a temporary things, and if we think a bit more, these characters die a lot in their games, and we are going to save them, and even on the Luigi video, we discover they really have souls and they just need to return to their body, so "dying" in this universe is not a big deal.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
. If you compare the characters of Smash 4 with Smash Ultimate you can see the characters are much more bright, like if they had a white glow around them:
Really? I think the characters in Ultimate actually look less colorful, and more subdued than Smash 4. I always felt Smash 4 felt a bit over-saturated with its art style, whereas Ultimate has a more natural color scheme.

D

Deleted member

I made a thread to talk about the best Smash, were I list all my reasons for liking Brawl. Honestly, the hate just needs to stop, I’m glad that with the release of Smash Ultimate, there seems to be a resurgence in Brawl’s popularity, with many talking about how it may possibly be the best Smash title, just check out Scott The Woz or Nathaniel Bandy.

Here’s the link if you want my reasoning: https://smashboards.com/threads/fav...king-the-previous-smash-titles-thread.457403/
Didddd you just say that brawl might be the best smash game what is this world coming to....

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Really? I think the characters in Ultimate actually look less colorful, and more subdued than Smash 4. I always felt Smash 4 felt a bit over-saturated with its art style, whereas Ultimate has a more natural color scheme.
It is more bright, making the characters less colorful, but at the same time more polished, I preffer this way too.. But the smoke effects they added and that appear all the time makes the game more colorful. Each strong punch, a smoke trail of some color appear, and makes the game in general more colorful. The Final Smash attacks changing the color of the background too.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
It is more bright, making the characters less colorful, but at the same time more polished, I preffer this way too.. But the smoke effects they added and that appear all the time makes the game more colorful. Each strong punch, a smoke trail of some color appear, and makes the game in general more colorful. The Final Smash attacks changing the color of the background too.
Yeah, it's more colorful in the sense that there's more flashy effects and speed going on. But Ultimate's tone is generally darker and a bit more serious than Smash 4, which was colorful in the conservative, family-friendly way. Ultimate is colorful in the edgy and stylish sense.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Ultimate looks great, it has Brawl’s attention to detail with Smash 4’s color palette. I like it. It really looks like the disjointed, but natural evolution of Smash Graphics. Smash 64 was a cartoony game, then Melee went for a darker look trying to be more realistic, Brawl was really just the evolution of Melee in terms of graphics going more realistic to show the Wii wasn’t just the Gamecube 2.0, then Smash 4 went back to the style of 64, being more cartoonish and family friendly, and now the two styles built up by the Melee - Brawl evolution and Smash 64 - 4 Evolution seem to be butting heads.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
If you guys want to see violent just watch what I do to my vict-er, opponents in online when it comes out (:<

In all seriousness, it really does feel like Smash has finally found its best art direction, the way it allows bright and cartoony Mario to slug it out with Ridley "I'm basically a zombie" Scott without either looking out of place...it's perfection, what else can be said?

Top Bottom