• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike good?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
We really need a guy who can take the argument that Ike is good to the Smash back room and make a very good debate, and get Ike a decent spot on the tier list. Feel free to discuss points supporting Ike in an intelligent way. We need to clear out the whole noob community and actual get **** done, or else his *** will end up on the bottom of mid tier.

All noobs will be shot on sight, then I emasculate them and hang them from a tree on my yard.

I nominate Umbreon for said Ike defender of great justice.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It depends on the person, his playstyle makes him a heavy and slow character but still faster than the other characters in his same weight class. He hits hard, but his recoveries are one of the worst. I can't think of anything else to mention that makes him great and a flaw to go with it, but what I mentioned is an example.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I never realized that marth wasn't considered pwnsome at any point in time during melee's development. Methinks this situation is slightly different. Why do we have to convince anybody anything, in the first place? I'm confused about that. Tiers are revised to reflect accuracy and they're still a long way from completion, so what's the big fuss about?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'm sorry, I never realized that marth wasn't considered pwnsome at any point in time during melee's development. Methinks this situation is slightly different. Why do we have to convince anybody anything, in the first place? I'm confused about that. Tiers are revised to reflect accuracy and they're still a long way from completion, so what's the big fuss about?
Uh yeah, there was a time no one really gave a crap about Marth because we didn't know how he was.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but the chances of this happening in brawl with Ike are slim to none, and still could use some exploration. I'm not discouraging this endeavor, simply wondering why we're attempting it RIGHT NOW.

Sometimes I'm lazy. <_<

Maple~

Smash Rookie
Ike's aether is reason enough for him to be upper middle tier.
Besides having a counter attack and being quicker than most in his weight class his no flinch rule during aether can easily save him from marths or almost any final smash and even the dragoon.
I don't think anyone's going to be able to argue him up any higher in tiers than that though.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Besides having a counter attack and being quicker than most in his weight class his no flinch rule during aether can easily save him from marths or almost any final smash and even the dragoon.
Run.

Now.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i would say that ike is the best character that can punish with mindgames. if you are good at forcing the other guy at running into your fsmash or ftilt then your a good iker
i think he can reach top of mid but i cant see him in high

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I don't think anyone's going to be able to argue him up any higher in tiers than that though.
NO ITEMS. FALCON PAAAANCH ONLY. FINAL MUTHA ****ING DESTINATION ONLY *****.

All noobs will be shot on sight, then I emasculate them and hang them from a tree on my yard.
*Readies a shotgun and machete.

Nooooob hunt!

Agent Snop

Smash Ace
You forgot to say quick draw. Quick Draw is important to lke because QD make lke move faster around the stage. (hope this help)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I give up, ill just continue getting better with my character because **** like the last post makes me realize what this topic was for and how so few people actually are up to the task.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
To all Ike players: Money match my Link. Link is abysmal. Link is actually worse than Ike. Ike will lose anyways because he's also horrible.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To all Ike players: Money match my Link. Link is abysmal. Link is actually worse than Ike. Ike will lose anyways because he's also horrible.
How is Link worse than Ike? He has the second best boost smash, 3 projectiles that can be used in a decent number of ways (especially the boomerang), the second best up B attack when it comes to shield canceling, and the claw shot which can effectively be used for spacing. I know his aerials aren't that great (mainly because of landing lag) and he's one of the easiest characters to gimp (although Ike is at the dead bottom in my opinion) but I know he's at least low middle tier while Ike is probably middle low tier.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
i think ike is in a class of his own when playing in timed/stock matches against multiple players due to the fact that he can easily camp with this quick draw or forward smash to steal kills from other players but in terms of 1 on 1, he wins easily against the casual player, but any skilled opponent with knowledge of ike can easily predict his moves because he only has a few that are priority.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ike is as good as you make him. I would stop worrying about his tier placement and just figure how to beat the opponent your playing.
This.

:p coming from playing a character that's been debated to be from the top of midtier to absolute bottom tier.

Just learn the matchups and forget about whether or not people care about whether your character's good or not.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
How is Link worse than Ike? He has the second best boost smash, 3 projectiles that can be used in a decent number of ways (especially the boomerang), the second best up B attack when it comes to shield canceling, and the claw shot which can effectively be used for spacing. I know his aerials aren't that great (mainly because of landing lag) and he's one of the easiest characters to gimp (although Ike is at the dead bottom in my opinion) but I know he's at least low middle tier while Ike is probably middle low tier.
Link has worse match-ups against the good characters that actually matter.

Link has one thing: camping. You can only camp so long before the other character rushes in and kills you, and Link has one of the worst recoveries in the game and doesn't have fast moves to beat out rushdown.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Maybe you could ask them in the smash back room weekly character discussion to talk about ike sooner.
That or ask emblem lord to tell you what they think about ike. If i am not mistaken, he is a SBRoomer now.
But in my humble opinion you should just wait, there's no hurry, give time to time.

BTW tiers exist, but are overrated.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Didn't really know WHERE to put this, but yesterday during my online play session I clashed with Din's fire while taunting a noob friend by avoiding all their attacks. *confused look* I don't remember which move it was, but it was certainly NOT a smash attack. We weren't close, either. Crazy stuff. Can someone try to replicate it? I don't have any friends nearby who are smashers.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for that little nugget of wisdom, Inui. I'm sure we all totally knew that, since you director types and top players so often visit and share your vast stores of knowledge. <_< Can anybody do some research to find out which of Ike's most applicable moves clash/outprioritize other commonly used ones, character by character? That'd make for an awesome thread, and a good source of knowledge. :) It'd help Ike's game immensely, since it's based off of prediction...I wish there were some brawlers around here. :(

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
And that's coming from a captain falcon mainer.
You know, that means he knows a thing about what makes a character good (melee Falcon) and what makes them bad (Brawl Falcon.)

@Empy:I totally didn't have that crack and heroin vid in my head, that's a common insult I use. "Dude get off that badass *insert drug reference here*

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Brawl falcon isn't bad, he is HORRIBLE. There its a clear difference between ike( a character that can be used in tourneys and still have a chance of winning) and captain falcon( a character that will have big problems winning, even against rookies, and will be completely ***** in tourneys).

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Brawl falcon isn't bad, he is HORRIBLE. There its a good difference between ike( a character that can be somewhat used in tourney) and captain falcon( a character that will have problems fighting against rookies and will be completely ***** in tourneys).
Way to either ignore, or miss my point. I wasn't arguing who was better, get the sand out of your eye and read the ****ing post.

And if I get another response to this, I'm going to ignore it and laugh heartily.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
ok, ok, you win.

Anyway,on another note, i've been lurking these boards for some time, and i've seen that you have become more hostile recently, any reasons besides the rookies that post **** that you hate?

Anyway, back to topic, what do you think is the best way to contact the backroom?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
ok, ok, you win.

Anyway,on another note, i've been lurking these boards for some time, and i've seen that you have become more hostile recently, any reasons besides the rookies that post **** that you hate?

Anyway, back to topic, what do you think is the best way to contact the backroom?
Eh, rookies, me coming to terms Ike isn't too great, and the fact that I'm bored. You have no idea how mean I can be when I'm bored.

And honestly, I am a closet noob. I dont know **** about the Smash Back room, other than the fact that it's where computers jack off to each other.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Link has worse match-ups against the good characters that actually matter.

Link has one thing: camping. You can only camp so long before the other character rushes in and kills you, and Link has one of the worst recoveries in the game and doesn't have fast moves to beat out rushdown.
Ah... He does get ***** against pretty everyone who is high tier, doesn't he? Ike isn't too far off though in that respect though. Marth vs Ike= ****, ROB vs Ike= ****, Olimar vs Ike = ****, etc.

Top Bottom