• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falco the best secondary to a G&W main?

unit182

Smash Apprentice
pick random up, random counters or goes even with every character. Using mewtwo or roy would also be a good option. Perhaps you could use metaknight and use lolinvincibilityframes with shuttle loop tornado dsmash spacing and it's gg. Use my professional advice

napZzz

Smash Hero
Falco isn't all that smart, because you dont have marth covered in any way really. The best character to use is probably DDD, he covers snake and marth and a few other problems game and watch has.

EDIT:I Just looked at the matchup chart, and I'm wondering why more people aren't mentioning snake. He covers marth, snake dittos are uber and an even matchup, does good vs. MK, then he's even or counters the rest of his closer matchups.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Wario is a really good secondary for GnW. It covers all bad match ups besides Marth who really isnt that big of a problem anyway.

Jahordon

Smash Journeyman
-Metaknight is definitely the best secondary, as he covers ALL of Game & Watch's weaknesses, and is obviously even with himself.

Other than Metaknight:

-R.O.B. does well against Snake, okay against Diddy, and is even with Marth. He is has no bad match up against any of GW's bad match ups except for Metaknight.

-Wario does well against Snake, okay against Diddy, and is even with Metaknight. He still has trouble with Marth.

-Dedede leaves you vulnerable to Diddy, but does well against Snake and okay against Marth.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Jahordon? No freaking way.

I remember, a long, long time ago, I used to play Metroid Prime: Hunters... And you were a Noxus that was fairly known for being very good... and you weren't gonna play brawl because of ZSS...

Same guy?

Jahordon

Smash Journeyman
You are right about me being a very good Noxus. A friend and rival in Hunters, however, was the one who wasn't going to play Brawl because of ZSS, even though he ended up playing. His name was Perfect_Edge, and he was a very good Sylux.

cutter

Smash Champion
I quit playing Hunters a long time ago because it was nearly impossible to find a match where someone WASN'T either hacking or exploiting.

I mained Trace BTW. I don't know how Triskelion ever got past the playtesters...

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I don't know what Pawt is, so it most likely was not me.
Pot. Marijuana.

You could tell the community was really young, as they were all appalled someone actually smoked weed :laugh:

That game was a scrubs haven. All the competitive scene should have been was getting a first kill and running away as Spamus....

Jahordon

Smash Journeyman
Another Samus could hunt down and kill a Spamus by doing the same thing, and a Sylux in the Lockjaw could do the same thing. Shadow freezers made running away futile.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Whoa, these aren't the Samus boards? Gnarly.

Get back on topic. :-\

C'mon guys, hows that Jiggs counterpick going? I have not had the chance to actually play a Diddy, although I know a guy in the region of some casuals a busride away...

.... whoa, holy crap, I just realized something. Transcharacter technique.

Does Game & Watch's meta combine Banana throwing with dthrow in any way?

Whoops. Forgot crucial game rules elements. Nevermind. It's impossible.

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
wolf is your best secondary. well you should main wolf and secong G&w cuz everyone wolf cant beat or are counter or hard match ups G&W *****! as vice versa. falco on wol g&w ***** falco d3 same and for g&W snake is hard wolf is tooo good agains snakes and etc, best bet is wolf take this from me i nmain wolf and second G&W too beaastlyyyyyy

jpl315

Smash Apprentice
dk does fine against snake and meta...and diddy, but hes not much of a problem anyway

POKE40

Smash Lord
I quit playing Hunters a long time ago because it was nearly impossible to find a match where someone WASN'T either hacking or exploiting.

I mained Trace BTW. I don't know how Triskelion ever got past the playtesters...
I went on it recently in the past days and I haven't ran into any hackers.
Although exploiting is quite less common...
Use noxus for that.

Good times...good times...

Ehem...

I prefer maining D3 or MK...
This is a really old topic :O
2 months...

Oh! Wario anyone? lol

DUB

Smash Lord
G&W is supposedly one of the best or the best secondary for Diddy.

Handles Falco/Olimar well.

Diddy has an edge on DK and it's a little easier to fight MK as Diddy.

xXFrosTXx

Smash Cadet
Is Falco the best secondary to a G&W main?

I think Falco Is the best 2nd to a GaW main Thats Exactly what i do
ME:
Main: GaW
2nd: Falco

jpl315

Smash Apprentice
disadvantage to marth tho...ddd has good matchups with snake and marth...dk also

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
But he loses to mk, falco. Goes even with mid tiers like Peach and Sheik. I also think they may have a small advantage on D3 55/45 Peach and Sheik.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
It heavily depends on personal ability to adapt to and adopt different playstyles. At the moment, I play G&W, ROB, and DK.

DC5

Smash Rookie
hmmmm never thought about D3 being a good 2nd to G&W....i just always thought the styles were too contrasted to actually do well.

oh well time to practice D3

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I'll vouche for the DDD secondary. Makes marth easy sauce, and really puts snakes on edge. Personally, my GaW can take MK's without a problem, as well as falcos. DDD Just ends GaW's hard matchups. And I don't have a hard time switching play styles...though I miss bucket braking.

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Has anyone ever considered Zero Suit Samus?

She is even with Snake MK and Marth once you learn the match ups,

only hole is diddy. But I think she does better then G&W against diddy.

May not be the BEST secondary, but I certainly like the difference in styles between G&W and ZSS. I'm terrible with DDD so it isnt an option for me.

And I'm all about using fun charactors I really dont care for top tiers.

I think her and G&W are fun to use, she just takes a little bit to get used to, but she has good combos and can murder with her down b.

Just throwing it out there since noone brought it up.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Game and Watch has problems in the next matchups:

Marth: almost every stage, except for RC maybe
Snake: Mostly in neutrals, like FD or SV, counterpicks help
Diddy: Same as Snake
MK: every stage, i dont know if there is a stage in which this matchup is better (better=not that bad)... maybe Halberd?
Toon Link: Same as Snake and Diddy; though this matchup isn't really impossible
DK: very questionable, this matchup is somewhat between 45-55 and 55-45

Possible Solutions:
Against Marth: MK, Snake, King Dedede. Other options: ROB, Wolf, DK
Against Snake: MK, King Dedede, Olimar. Other options: Wario (though Wario is better on counterpicks), ROB, ZSS, Pikachu
Against Diddy (on neutrals): Snake, Falco, Marth, ROB, Lucario, Toon Link, Pit, Peach, Luigi. Other options: MK, Wario, Olimar, Sonic, Mario, Wolf, Pokémon Trainer (Squirtle), Yoshi, Kirby
Against MK: lol (Ice Climbers on neutrals). Other options (on neutrals like FD or SV): Diddy, Snake, Falco, Wario

Based on these matchups (the worsts), some viable characters for secondaries are:
MK: Ties with himself, ties or have small advantage over Snake and Diddy in neutrals, and wins over Marth (though in neutrals is a little harder). He also defeats TLink and DK
Snake: Ties with himself, small disadvantage against MK, defeats Marth and Diddy. He also defeats TLink, and has a very small advantage over DK
King Dedede: Beaten by MK and Diddy, wins over Snake and Marth, he also has an advantage over TLink and ***** DK
Falco: beaten by Snake and Marth...
ROB: Badly beaten by MK, and has no clear advantages over Snake, Marth or Diddy
Wolf: ties with Snake, Marth and Diddy. Beaten by MK
Ice Climbers: Along with MK he ties with MK on neutrals. Loses to Snake, and has small disadvantage against Marth and Diddy (though neutrals are IC's friends)
Wario: small disadvantage against MK, loses against Marth, and ties or has small advantage with Snake and Diddy, though he is better in counterpicks than neutrals
Olimar: Best counter against Snake, though he loses against Marth and MK, and ties with Diddy

Conclusions:
MK is the best secondary
If you dont want to go the MK way, i'd say the best secondaries are:
Snake is a good option. You'll have problems against MK (which is always bad) and you'll have to be better on dittos. You'll alsohave problems against Marth on counterpicks, either you go G&W or Snake
With King Dedede you'll have problems against MK everywhere, and Diddy on neutrals (though not that hard). Marth on counterpicks could be troublesome
Ice Climbers: You'll have problems with MK on counterpicks (Though G&W is better against MK on counterpicks than in neutrals). The big advantage with Ice Climbers is that they "solve" your bad matchups on neutrals. Marth and Diddy will be a lot better in these stages. Problems: Snake on neutrals and Marth on counterpicks. Also IC is maybe the hardest (or longest) character to master
Wario shines in counterpicks, where you'll most likely use G&W; he can do better against MK, Snake and Diddy in general, though against Marth on neutrals you'll be doomed

Besides MK there is no clear option. My pick would be King Dedede or Ice Climbers. Wario can be a very interesting option if there are no Marths around

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
G&W beats Meta Knight on Norfair and Green Greens. By beat, I mean he has a slight advantage. Seriously.

Anyway I don't know why this thread is still alive lol, but at the moment I think Dedede helps cover you nicely. Obviously MK can make a good secondary, but you may as well just use him as your main in singles then, if you'll just be using him to beat all the "good" characters and falling back to G&W only when they are playing someone he *****. Dedede makes a good backup to beat Snake, which a lot of G&Ws have trouble overcoming, and I guess Marth? I don't know Marth's matchups too well, however.

But I don't know from experience. I'm a Game & Watch main. Just him, no secondaries. He's good enough to wreck and need no backup.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Im learning Falco. That bird is HARD. One would think shdl would be easy but its not. At least to me. And doing the silent laser can be a pain the *** but looks cool though when you pull it off XD. To me the chances of SDing with falco is sooo high. Most of them due to phantasms and walking while trying to do shl because i end up phantasm out of stage. His playstyle is soo unlike gnw. He is the only character that i dont feel bad when playing gay and campy because he looks sexy doing it XD

Top Bottom