• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is a Melee like game the way to go?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
That is kinda proof that it won't be like melee.

Also I figured out the "competitive cycle" as I call it.its similar to COD.

1.be obsessively playing melee.
2.hear mention of new game
3.start speculation on new game
( pray to Flying Spaghetti Monster it is a melee clone)
4. Speculate and over analyze anything sakurai says
5. Watch trailer
6.hype
7.hype
8.hype
9.buys game
10.instantly is heartbroken by the lack of melee like characteristics
11.cry, whine, and complain about how much it sucks, even though they played only 2 hours of it.
12.goes back to playing melee.

it gets pretty annoying after a while.
everyone has preferences.
each game is different.
my favourite is still 64. such a perfect game.
there will be people crying and complaining about this new game no matter what. it happens with anything.
there will be people crying and going back to melee, there will be crying and people going back to brawl. or there will be the actual smash fans who are just happy for a new game and deal with it.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
That is kinda proof that it won't be like melee.
Kinda like how it's sorta proof of nothing that specific? The only thing you've successfully established here is how out of touch you are with the audience you're being critical of.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
or there will be the actual smash fans who are just happy for a new game and deal with it.
The biggest challenge they have is pleasing series veterans. How much additional enjoyment is there realistically to be had if the resulting game is little more than a twist on the same formula with similar issues? Smash is on #4 now, the bar is naturally higher. Time hasn't exactly been Brawl's best friend either (online, single player, tripping, etc).

Smash fans are generally in a state of skeptical optimism. Can't remember the last time someone said they'd be happy with whatever. No one is looking to settle or deal with something that falls short.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'll give you rushed(and incomplete, to an extent), but I'm curious how exactly you think Melee is broken. Also, funny you mention Brawls 'responsiveness' since Brawl is usually considered less responsive than Melee.
It's unresponsive... The animations are far better in Brawl. Playing Melee again, attacks won't register as fluidly as it would in Brawl. Hence, it earned the title of "too fast for it's own good". Strangely, the original Smash Bros. doesn't suffer from this problem. Actually, going from Melee to the original Smash Bros gives me the same problem in terms of responsiveness from what I remember. This is in from my experience. But yes, I find Brawl more responsive and precise (and smoother) than Melee. Must be the Havok Engine Brawl used.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
What you're experiencing are the effects of the 10 frame buffer system Komic. It has nothing to do with the Havok Engine. All Havok does is act as a base for particle interaction.

Melee is quite a bit more responsive than Brawl could ever be. There isn't up to two frames of lag before your actions are carried out, there isn't a frame delay before momentum altering effects take place, and there aren't forced buffer inputs that cause unwanted effects like Ike inputting A, getting hit and sliding off stage, then doing a nair as he falls to his death.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's unresponsive... The animations are far better in Brawl. Playing Melee again, attacks won't register as fluidly as it would in Brawl. Hence, it earned the title of "too fast for it's own good". Strangely, the original Smash Bros. doesn't suffer from this problem. Actually, going from Melee to the original Smash Bros gives me the same problem in terms of responsiveness from what I remember. This is in from my experience. But yes, I find Brawl more responsive and precise (and smoother) than Melee. Must be the Havok Engine Brawl used.
I'd honestly have to agree to a point. Since I've been playing all three games to a point pretty whimsically for the last week, when I played Brawl, if there was anything I appreciated about the way gameplay was over Melee and 64, it was the fluidity. Melee definitely doesn't feel as fluid in comparison. 64 is uncomfortable to play for different reasons more based around the things that were only added to basic gameplay in melee. If there was anything that could disappoint me about this game, it would be if it stopped being fluid, whether it went in the "melee direction" or not.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
When I got into brawl after a few years of playing Melee, Brawl felt clunky and slow in comparison until I got used to it. A few years later, I picked up Melee again and it didn't feel fluid at first. A year later though, Melee on a non-laggy TV is the only way I can play anymore, Brawl doesn't feel nearly as fluid nor as free as Melee did.

In terms of the engine, I wouldn't say any game was much more "fluid" than the other (movement options on the other hand...). Brawl did have a 10-frame buffer window though, so I guess that artificially created this sense of "fluidness."

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Why is there a 10 frame buffer window? Why can't Smash be more precise in its execution?

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Beyond what other posters have already pointed out, Brawl's pacing is generally a bit more staggered of an experience. There's a lot of interrupts to the gameplay, whether that be tripping, moves that stall the flow (looking at you Pit, MK), ledge forgiveness, super effective DI, and the possible tomfoolery such as planking. Lets get one thing clear however, it is not as if Brawl lacks fluidity, it just doesn't necessarily excel at it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Cute arguing here, I think I'm going to spend another €uro on another popcorn bowl.

La vie est une grand comedie...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I could tell what that says without an online translator.

Life is one big comedy.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Picked up Melee/an actual Smash game for the first time in a couple months yesterday and I found myself wondering this, so out of curiosity, not trying to start any flame wars, but what are some of the negative aspects of Melee (besides it being too hard)? Wasn't around to see all of the issues people had with Melee Pre-Brawl, with all of the "praise" it gets around here I would think there would still be something Sakurai messed up on (he's apparently an "idiot" after all) or is Melee really that perfect?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Picked up Melee/an actual Smash game for the first time in a couple months yesterday and I found myself wondering this, so out of curiosity, not trying to start any flame wars, but what are some of the negative aspects of Melee (besides it being too hard)? Wasn't around to see all of the issues people had with Melee Pre-Brawl, with all of the "praise" it gets around here I would think there would still be something Sakurai messed up on (he apparently an "idiot" after all) or is Melee really that perfect?
First thing that comes to mind is the fact that if you dare touch the C-stick in single player mode, the only thing that happens is the camera will mad dog rush your character's groin. I also wish it hadn't taken out unique entrances, and removed boarding of the platforms. Melee also had more clones than any other smash game, the fewest past stages, and travesties such as Icicle Mountain. I also wish they hadn't done away with Smash 64's way of dealing with post-singleplayer congratulation images, but I suppose when you need three per character for over twice as many characters you need to cut some corners. And that's fine. Air dodging could get you killed. Some characters were unpleasant in this game, such as Bowser and Mewtwo.

Off the top of my head those are the only issues I can think of that I have with melee. Besides delving into mechanics, which wouldn't pan out and can easily be explained with "other smashes feel weird after you play one forever".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash 64, perfect game? Enjoy being combo'd to death by Pikachu then. :pikachu64:

You know what's the way to go? An enjoyable game with good balance. Oh, and combos and faster gameplay wouldn't hurt, but they aren't the answer to solve Brawl's problems.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Brawl wants to solve some problems, they'd give unlocking characters less offensive requirements and make stickers apply to an actual multiplayer vs mode.

I would hope at least one of those things gets fixed in SSB4.

Signia

Smash Lord
I get it guys, sarcasm is hard to grab over the internet.

Just know from now on if I say anything to the effect of actively praising and supporting an argument that sounds even the slightest bit nonsensical I am very probably parodying the posting tendencies of another user.
I just thought you were an idiot :/

On reddit they've started to type "/s" at end of the sarcastic comment to make it obvious.

Signia

Smash Lord
I find 3D fighters diffult because they're so slow. It feels like I'm trodding through molasses even when tapping 88 or 66 or 44 or whatever. All the positioning comes from just having to remember how every single move moves you since they're what will be doing most of the movement for you. SC2 seemed to have a better pace for a 3d fighter but it's still sluggish. If they feel like **** to play I'd probably like them more.
Sorry gotta pick on you again. The movement in the prominent 3D fighters SC, Tekken, and VF feel sluggish to less skilled players, but as you master the movement systems, they all start to feel extremely fluid. It's like Melee, the movement has an execution barrier, even in SC. The whole "using moves to move you" is a rookie mistake and means you never move before attacking, making you really easy to out-space and predict.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-To7sAEIvSo (I'm in this one :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAJsU8stx9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwTz9FOwxQ

(This is the part that's on topic)
Actually, there isn't really an execution barrier in those games, it's just a complex movement system. The reason it's difficult is because fluid movement means moving a lot, which means a lot of movement commands. In each of those games, the commands couldn't be more simple - they're all double taps or single taps of the stick/d-pad, and maybe another tap to cancel the movement. Also, there's a variety of movement speeds so you can easily make fine adjustments with safe movement when you want to go slow, and you can make fast, less safe dodges when you need to.

This is something I'd like to see Namco implement in the Smash4. In each game it's really difficult to keep precise spacing (like landing near someone, adjusting, and f-tilting outside the range of their OoS options), and that's in part because of how hard it is to walk, do tilt attacks precisely (**** tilting, honestly), input overlap with movement and attacks, shield release time, and difficulty stopping dashes (pivot upward angled f-tilt is hard). It's really ****ing hard to stop exactly where you want to or make small adjustments without incurring the lag of shielding or wavedashing in place.
traditional fighters' (dragon punches and tiger knees are ********, and make no sense; they don't map well to natural movement)
I'd take those over tilting. People praise Smash's supposed input simplicity but its at the cost of precision. Don't even get me started with the input overlap of up-attacks and jumping...

There are plenty of solutions to these problems that doesn't involve cutting out moves. The input system of smash could be entirely overhauled and I'd be ok with it.

http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash

in Sakurai's own words: "There are three Smash Bros. games out now, but even if I ever had a chance at another one, I doubt we'll ever see one that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was. Melee fans who played deep into the game without any problems might have trouble understanding this, but Melee was just too difficult.""
You might have trouble understanding this, but Sakurai was wrong. No casual found it difficult, and those who seeked mastery were happy to rise to the challenge.

They don't want to sit down and get the muscle memory down for short hop-air dodge-short hop-air dodge-short hop-air dodge-short hop-air dodge-short hop-air dodge-short hop-air dodge. They want to play and enjoy the game. They want to hop right in and have a good time and they don't want to waste their time getting to that point. This is why games that are geared towards hardcore players do not do as well. People do not want a game geared towards competitive play.
They didn't have to. Players enjoyed the game without needed to learn advanced techniques. They don't care about competing, so why would they care that there are people out there doing difficult things in the game and having an advantage?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why is there a 10 frame buffer window? Why can't Smash be more precise in its execution?
On the contrary! There should be a 100 frame buffer window. Everyone hates it when people are good at video games, and it ruins online play (and there's absolutely no method by which you can separate the serious and the casual players via online matchmaking), so Smash should be even less precise.

Signia

Smash Lord
Sorry i lost track of this thread! I was watching my favorite movie

1. Wii Sports (81.64 million)[2]**
  2. Mario Kart Wii (34.01 million)[2]*
  3. Wii Sports Resort (31.54 million)[2]*
  4. Wii Play (28.02 million)[3][4]*
  5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (27.61 million)[2]**
  6. Wii Fit (22.67 million)[3]*
  7. Wii Fit Plus (20.48 million)[5]
  8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (10.79 million)[3] (Super Smash Bros. Melee (7.09 million)
  9. Super Mario Galaxy (10.68 million)[5]
s

Brawl sold alot better than melee,

Ratings-(most notable being famitsu)
Brawl ratings-

Edge 9 of 10[86]
Eurogamer 9 of 10[87]
Famitsu 40 of 40[88]
GameTrailers 9.4 of 10[89]
IGN 9.5 of 10[9]
Nintendo Power 10 of 10[90]
Official Nintendo Magazine 95%[91]
NGamer 93%[92]
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Melee ratings-
Edge 6/10[53]
Eurogamer 10/10[2]
Famitsu 37/40[54][55]
GameSpot 8.9/10[56]
IGN 9.6/10[18]
Official Nintendo Magazine
95%[57]
This argument is already dead... Melee was the top selling Gamecube game and sold more per console sale than Brawl. It's not even relevant anyway, this thread is about what we want the new smash game to be like in relation to earlier games. Also

LOL YOU THINK GAME JOURNALISM HOLDS ANY WATER ANYWHERE

El Duderino

Smash Ace
This is something I'd like to see Namco implement in the Smash4. In each game it's really difficult to keep precise spacing (like landing near someone, adjusting, and f-tilting outside the range of their OoS options), and that's in part because of how hard it is to walk, do tilt attacks precisely (**** tilting, honestly), input overlap with movement and attacks, shield release time, and difficulty stopping dashes (pivot upward angled f-tilt is hard). It's really ****ing hard to stop exactly where you want to or make small adjustments without incurring the lag of shielding or wavedashing in place.
I don't necessarily have a problem with tilts as an input, but completely agree that there are problems with how it meshes with movement in all of the Smash tittles. I'm not sure the Brawl exclusive player will understand this, but with practice the wavedash becomes an easier tool to use approaching tilts with because it creates consistent movement separated from the move input.

When an advanced technique makes what should be a basic action easier to perform, I think it's a good sign that part of the game could use a re-haul.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
(This is the part that's on topic)
Actually, there isn't really an execution barrier in those games, it's just a complex movement system. The reason it's difficult is because fluid movement means moving a lot, which means a lot of movement commands. In each of those games, the commands couldn't be more simple - they're all double taps or single taps of the stick/d-pad, and maybe another tap to cancel the movement. Also, there's a variety of movement speeds so you can easily make fine adjustments with safe movement when you want to go slow, and you can make fast, less safe dodges when you need to.

I'd take those over tilting. People praise Smash's supposed input simplicity but its at the cost of precision. Don't even get me started with the input overlap of up-attacks and jumping...

There are plenty of solutions to these problems that doesn't involve cutting out moves. The input system of smash could be entirely overhauled and I'd be ok with it.
The only two movements I've found difficult to do are Tekken's Korean Backdash and Wavedash(but I play no one that has this). And I completely agree that precision is very difficult to work with in Smash Bros. thanks to the analog controls. When I got to play Brawl for the first time in a long time, it was almost impossible to distinguish between tilts and Smashes because of how it goes against every other fighting game's inputs. I'd like to see digital inputs for the next game (mostly so I can use an arcade stick for Smash) for this. Of course, the question comes into play about up-attacks and the inputs for Smashes unless we want to go to one or two more buttons which I know not everyone is keen on.

nessokman

Smash Lord
This argument is already dead... Melee was the top selling Gamecube game and sold more per console sale than Brawl. It's not even relevant anyway, this thread is about what we want the new smash game to be like in relation to earlier games. Also

LOL YOU THINK GAME JOURNALISM HOLDS ANY WATER ANYWHERE
You can't get it through your thick skull.the point was that the melee/GC ratio would be near impossible to repeat because 66 1/3 million would have to have bought brawl.

I estimate and round here-
In millions-

Melee-7.9
64-5

That I got about 12.9 million.I'll round up to make life a lil' bit easier
13 million.

Back to showing how absurd your logic is.if the GameCube to melee ratio had done the same with brawl as you think it would need to be to be successful, around 66 1/3 million brawl copies would have to be sold.by my math, that is more than 4 times more than the previous 2 got.

Smash will never sell like that. Smash 4 will sell a lot because it is on 2 platforms.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Sounds like someone missed the point. Sales related comparisons between Melee and Brawl belong in the loony bin. There is an 80 million unit disparity between the Wii and the Gamecube. Of course a lower attach rate is expected, but so is a game sales bump. When systems do significantly better than their predecessor, naturally more consumers will be looking to buy games for it. Neither Brawl's sales jump or its lower attach rate are proof of anything.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I think really people just want a unique and fun game. I don't want the next smash game to be like Melee, Brawl, or 64. I won't it to be its own game. Do I want it to be more competitive minded, sure, but that doesn't mean I want a Melee update. I think most players want the game to be fun but also more competitively oriented. You have to recognize that majority of people on this site are in some way interested in competitive play. The fact that Brawl seemed to go out of its way to get away from competition seemed spiteful almost. Most players on this site also likely weren't into the 64 scene. Which puts Melee in their minds as the pinnacle of the series.

So here is to Smash 4 being a new and fun experience for casual and competitive play.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Picked up Melee/an actual Smash game for the first time in a couple months yesterday and I found myself wondering this, so out of curiosity, not trying to start any flame wars, but what are some of the negative aspects of Melee (besides it being too hard)? Wasn't around to see all of the issues people had with Melee Pre-Brawl, with all of the "praise" it gets around here I would think there would still be something Sakurai messed up on (he's apparently an "idiot" after all) or is Melee really that perfect?
Clones.just clones.in fact clones are the reason why some characters like Wario and D3 didn't get in Melee.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Just DeDeDe. Sakurai mentioned having either 6 clone characters or one character with all original animations. Wario, Diddy, and Meowth were on the table since smash 64 but not included for whatever reason.

I'll take a few clones that all play fun over a single one that might play well any day.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As far as I know, Meowth was just a rumor, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Only Bowser, Mewtwo, and Kind Dedede were planned for Smash 64. The fallacy claims for varies characters like Wolf, Peach, Pit, and Meowth is simply just a bunch of hogwash.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I have never heard any claims of Wolf or the others, just Meowth at the very early stages of deciding which characters were to be included. It isn't like, "If smash 64 had more dev time Meowth would be in" and does not back up any support for Meowth in future titles. Don't get the wrong idea. It was just among the very earliest discussions on the game's roster, and was obviously one of the ones that was pushed aside.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Wolf was planned to be in Smash 64. So was Mewtwo and Dedede. There might be one more character, but I have forgotten which one it was...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm going to agree with Kink-Link here. The Melee community took the initiative going back to the initial EVO poll and people rallied behind it. You are not the first person to read too much into it though, GoNintendo for instance said this:

"I'm just sad to see that people dislike Brawl so much."

It had little to do with disliking Brawl and more to do with getting Smash on the EVO stage. Melee just so happens to be the game in the franchise that embodies what competitive Smash is all about, so yeah it makes total sense it would have larger support for a tournament drive.
Honestly I only donated to Melee over Brawl and didn't bother with Brawl because Melee already had the strong head start. I would have donate for Brawl instead but the melee community was willing to put more money up, a lot more money.

Either way, I'm just happy Smash is at Evo.

As for Smash 4, nah, take the good learned from each game, add some new, and then you got a good game.

@Volbound for a while DK was High tier in Brawl until people found out about D3's CG BS.
Even with that in mind, I don't think he would have hit high tier at this point in the game.

DoubleAgentXies616

Smash Rookie
I think the point of a new game is actually making something new, so no, I wouldn't be happy with another Melee. Best game in the series so far, yes, but it's still there, in your gamecubes, ready to be played whenever you want.

And there's project M, for the fans who just weren't too happy with brawl. I think the Project M developers will definetly get their hands on the new characters from Smash4 as soon as they come out, and maybe release a Wii U version of the game? Who knows, I mean why wouldn't they?

The twists made in Brawl DID make it an easier game, leaving few char options for standing out in competitive playing, yes (majority of players in tournaments choosing Meta Knight :@), but Brawl was still fun, more characters and more ways of playing. The WiiU/3DS smash will be so big, we will probably forget it's not melee. And there'll be competitive playing, no doubt about that! And it will be DIFFERENT, which was the intention in the first place.

So don't be afraid of getting out of the confort zone!

john!

Smash Hero
imagine if there was no control limitation in smash bros. and you could mentally make your character do anything you wanted, within the limitations/physics of the game itself.

would that game be more competitive?

would you agree that putting in a 10 frame buffer brings that goal closer to reality?

how about a full one second buffer?

do we want smash bros. competitions to test muscle memory, or do we want them to focus more on other skills?

Top Bottom