• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
@Pcity: Hey man is it kool if i get some of those vids you recorded the other day I'll like to put some more vids on my channel also the one where you killed us with the barrels XP

BPx

Smash Lord

Dayum I rather buy Arkham City Special Edition which is like $100 or so and I will be able to enjoy that for more then a day or KOF13 lol but sorry mang that trip sounds way to expensive (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
I mean, if you don't spend 30 dollars on food, it would only be 65 to go 10 hours, thats a pretty good price I'd say... and uh, arkham city is free, just torrent it :)

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker: Sure, but I actually don't have that one recorded. I think it is on your wii, apparently I cut off the last bit of matches of me and QRS vs you and Greg. Next time I come there, or you bring your wii to ames, then I'll record it and put it on your computer.

@Everyone: Ummmm...why on earth was there a huge line in the mall for "Skyrim". I'm thinking, the line was for a FPS, a fighter, maybe a game from a good genre...but a dang RPG>!>!>!......what am I missing in life?...i'm sorry but i pretty much HATE RPG's. The closest thing was Ocarina of Time. That is as close to an RPG i have ever gotten....

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
People are dorks like that.

Personally I hate western RPGs. They're generic, uninspired DnD fodder. Sick of bad lighting filters, randomly generated bumpmaps and terrain, and obligatory branching storylines that often pander to some corny source of violent, irrational, out of character or misogynist(lol less then JRPGs still) thinking.

This wouldn't be so bad except Bioware thinks they're the **** because they're the "Only ones who take an RPG to this level." Yeah, hire dozens of mediocre writers and market to underage sandbox enthusiasts and old dice-rolling purists alike! That takes so much passion and effort.

Not to say JRPGs are much better, but I can name at least a few that are immersive and memorable enough to be worth liking over whatever flaws they have. Western RPGs are about as good as the mods people make for them and those days are already gone. Now we're stuck in this "fantastic realism" age where people need to see the dirt stains on your shoulder pads to feel comfortable about getting into ravaging abandoned pavilions and slashing up the same lifeless trite.

Whatever, the real hardcore fans get into the genre to waste time. Which most recent outings pretty much aim to excel at. Those same people are probably all just finishing off their Dark Souls file.

BPx

Smash Lord
@Everyone: Ummmm...why on earth was there a huge line in the mall for "Skyrim". I'm thinking, the line was for a FPS, a fighter, maybe a game from a good genre...but a dang RPG>!>!>!......what am I missing in life?...i'm sorry but i pretty much HATE RPG's. The closest thing was Ocarina of Time. That is as close to an RPG i have ever gotten....

Soran

Smash Ace
People are dorks like that.

Personally I hate western RPGs. They're generic, uninspired DnD fodder. Sick of bad lighting filters, randomly generated bumpmaps and terrain, and obligatory branching storylines that often pander to some corny source of violent, irrational, out of character or misogynist(lol less then JRPGs still) thinking.

This wouldn't be so bad except Bioware thinks they're the **** because they're the "Only ones who take an RPG to this level." Yeah, hire dozens of mediocre writers and market to underage sandbox enthusiasts and old dice-rolling purists alike! That takes so much passion and effort.

Not to say JRPGs are much better, but I can name at least a few that are immersive and memorable enough to be worth liking over whatever flaws they have. Western RPGs are about as good as the mods people make for them and those days are already gone. Now we're stuck in this "fantastic realism" age where people need to see the dirt stains on your shoulder pads to feel comfortable about getting into ravaging abandoned pavilions and slashing up the same lifeless trite.

Whatever, the real hardcore fans get into the genre to waste time. Which most recent outings pretty much aim to excel at. Those same people are probably all just finishing off their Dark Souls file.
>.< Dang, sometimes I wonder if you even play the games you hate on xP

But yeah, I can't think of much western RPGs that I like. But TES is for sure up there and the best thing that I can think of. I like Oblivion because: even with all the bugs and glitches, it still retained its quality and drained me of hours. The lore is wonderfully crafted and stories within the world are just as easy to get into as stories written by professional authors. Though leveling was tedious, just doing tasks allowed for me to level up easily. The world was boring to a degree, but exciting and mysterious as well. Finding about what happened to NPCs and treasure troves not even marked in your log, it really gave the game a sense of never-ending accomplishment. The fact Skyrim is the sequel to that and an even a better one, with MORE content? I find that fact alone insane.

I am at a disposition for JRPGs since I don't find the battle system very engaging. The best one I've played is Star Ocean 'til the end of time. But that battle system was engaging and fun. The best traditional JRPG would have to be FFVIII. Just because I actually got into it and it did have a sense of urgency and enthrallment. What with the critical hit system and the turn-times.

least to say, I don't play much RPGs anyway and am usually turned to action-adventure games like Zelda and platformers like Ninja Gaiden. and FPS's and FG's and RTS's and... the list goes on.

PortCity

Smash Ace
In light of what Soran said, I did enjoy watching my roommate play Star Ocean. The battle system and music for those battles was pretty good.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I mean, if you don't spend 30 dollars on food, it would only be 65 to go 10 hours, thats a pretty good price I'd say... and uh, arkham city is free, just torrent it :)
Well you may spend that much in two days since you may get hungry on the drive there and then the day of the tourney.
So can my computer handle Arkham City >.> Skizm
Also if anything I'll still like to own KOF13 mainly cause I want the special edition CDs that come with it when you reserve it.

....What....I can't have a drunken rant? Everyone else does.
lol I think is cause you said you hated RPGs

sigh I had this long post about RPGs but then the freaking laptop froze T.T
Point being if you where to play any of the RPGs out there you should try the old ones in SNES or PS1 since the new ones now on day are meant more for people who like them.
Not really sure which ones to recommend since I didn't start playing them till I started living here and was kinda late but you could play FF7 see what all the fuzz is about but play FF8 which is better and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Chrono Trigger, Breath Of Fire, Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest,
Earthbound
just to name a few.
For me though my favorite RPG will have to be between Ogre Battle 64 or Final Fantasy VIII

gantrain05

Smash Master
suikoden 1 and 2, all snes and ps1 final fantasies, star ocean 2 (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, its easily the best) lunar 1 and 2, breath of fire 1 and 2, lufia. all of em are amazing old school rpg's. I can't say much for the new crop of games as i don't find myself all that interested in most of the garbage coming out these days, but fan of RPG's or not i would suggest checking out any of those titles.

-random post-

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
That game was pretty mediocre yeah, but at least I practically got to solo it with Tails. <3

There are a ton of good RPG's, specially older ones. I'd list them but no ones going to play them so meh.

We will just play Kirby's Return to Dreamland when I get home. :3

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
....What....I can't have a drunken rant? Everyone else does.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOL pppppffffffffffffffhabawhaaaaaaaaaa HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I seriously w0flcoptered here guys, Pcity for best married man.
no homo.
now it applies.

What with the critical hit system and the turn-times.

am usually turned to action-adventure games like Zelda and platformers like Ninja Gaiden
You mean spam limit break?

And you mean NES?
(This is at least the 9th time we've had this convo)
In light of what Soran said, I did enjoy watching my roommate play Star Ocean. The battle system and music for those battles was pretty good.
Very true, but if you played Star Ocean on the PS2, you played the wrong one (unless you were playing this PS1 classic...), Star Ocean 2 is like the best non-square RPG on the PS1, and I don't think it's close. I played THEM ALL, basically (thank having Lunar1/2 on sega cd) and this one was 11/10.

PS2 star ocean was like 8/10 so a great game but not superb.

Point being if you where to play any of the RPGs out there you should try the old ones in SNES or PS1 since the new ones now on day are meant more for people who like them.

Not really sure which ones to recommend since I didn't start playing them till I started living here and was kinda late but you could play FF7 see what all the fuzz is about but play FF8 which is better and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Chrono Trigger, Breath Of Fire, Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest,
Earthbound
just to name a few.
For me though my favorite RPG will have to be between Ogre Battle 64 or Final Fantasy VIII
fact

Play them in this order (top 5 imo)

NES-Play the remakes of DW1-4 and FF1-3. However, if you count LOZ, play that game, the 2nd Quest makes it almost the best game ever.

The rest of the AMERICAN NES RPG's, Star Tropics is meh, Shadowgate is unplayable, Faxanadu is boring, and I never played through crystalis.

There are some Japan only games, FE and Mother that are worthy.

SNES-
LTTPifyoucountit
Chrono Trigger, FF3 (6[even though V {5}was better]), Earthbound,
SuperMarioRPGifucounti
t Lufia 2 and Breath Of Fire 2

though I won't lie I didn't play the romance series, ultima series or wizardry series, I'm pretty sure I got the rest of them

Genesis (cd)-
ShiningForce2ifucountit
Lunar eternal Blue, Phantasy Star 2, Lunar Silver Star,
Shiningforce1ifucountit
Landstalker...

honestly this is the list you should play, unlike the SNES there aren't any others I'd advise playing, Phantasy star 3/4 I could barely make it through (and I didn't in 3). Never owned Shining force CD but TBH, Shining Force for gamegear is the best version of the series :0 even part 3 (didn't play 3b or 3c though, damn japan only crowd).

PS1-Xenogears, Final Fantasy 9, Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8

List of "If you count it" games would include: Symphony of the Night, FFTactics, Hoshigami Ruining Blue Earth, GranStream Saga, Front Mission 3, Tactics Ogre and Saiyuki Journey West.

Yes, lotta games missing from that list, but I already had Lunar listed :). But PEve, Alundra, BFMusashi, BoFseries, DW7, LODragoon, person and Suikoden are all worthy games/series, just not as good as the listed or if they count ones :0

i didn't play vagrant story or Wild arms but I hear they are both good.

Dreamcast-Skies or Arcadia and Grandia 2. PSO I guess if you count it.

PS2 RPGs are garbage

suikoden 1 and 2, all snes and ps1 final fantasies, star ocean 2 (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, its easily the best) lunar 1 and 2, breath of fire 1 and 2, lufia. all of em are amazing old school rpg's. I can't say much for the new crop of games as i don't find myself all that interested in most of the garbage coming out these days, but fan of RPG's or not i would suggest checking out any of those titles.

-random post-
JLO is the man again and we agree on most of that.

Play Xenogears
This man!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Yes play Xenogears if you can really get into the story. Otherwise I'm sure you will abhor the gameplay as its 10x more tedious and half the game is practically narrated due to budget cuts. Amazing game though.

I'm currently going through Terranigma on my phone which is another actiony-type RPG that has a fairly interesting story, which most games of this trilogy have. I even might go replay Illusion of Gaia if I get the time.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is good, most likely a little too obscure but you did play the Dreamcast so...

If you really like games like Star Ocean for the reason you listed, you should probably try the Tales of series. You're going to see mostly the same composer(Sakuraba is the one whos always using overdriven guitars and tacky synths) and you get the action you'll probably want. Only thing is the best ones don't usually come here, and its probably got the most cliches out there in terms of story.

Kuares

Pizza
While you guys tell stories about what RPG is the best, I'm just going to play Metal Gear.

Eh, Infinite Space and Morrowind are still my fav's while Solatrobo, The world ends with you, and Mass Effect 2 are on my to do list.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Blank is right, I completely forgot about the sega saturn, lol, other than Shining Force 3.

True story, I got like 7 50$+ saturn games at a garage sale once, the lady asked for 20 dollars for Panzer dragoon saga, Shining Force 3, Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth and a few other games. I gave her 40 dollars and walked off laughing. Maybe I should have given her more money because they were all stolen (along with everything else I had ON CHRISTMAS DAY BTW) and I never beat PDZ or MKR before it happend. I got Shining Force 3 back, but :(

I don't emulate games I don't own* but I really should go back and play it. It isn't illegal since I technically owned it and it was claimed by insurance, hope that loophole actually works.

*Other than japan only games like Rockman Forte, FFV and Mother1, 2 of which I own localized versions of.

I should mention that I am fortunate to have had a best friend who was rich and would buy every RPG ever and would let me borrow them or beat them for him :)

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Solatorobo is okay. It takes a while to pick up just because of lame fetch quests but for the most part its relatively painless.

Theres quite a lot to do, and I'm still working on my file, but I was more drawn to the design of the game done by the .hack team more then anything else about the title.

It would be pretty funny to watch Sekou play Shenmue probably. I still have my copy I believe if you want to pop it in your Dreamcast olol.

@Rob emulating games is totally shameless. Any attempt at finding those old games will probably be just money spent on some dude rather then the developers. They're off in other companies too, so unless you want to fund more of SEGA's pachinkos then no one cares you emulate.

I say this but I have no conscious whatsoever anyways.

Soran

Smash Ace
xenogears is on PSN : D I considered purchasing it but instead spent $5 on RE2 and I'm kinda glad... it has 4th Survivor and I need to get to that point.. some how. I'm awful at that game >.<

and Metal Gear is greater than the greatest. It's so freaking amazing and deep! I need that HD collection.

Rob, what do you mean by spam limit break??? are you talking about UT? no... I don't do that.

§chizm

Smash Lord
So you're permanently unaware?

I found out I for sure have next Sat/Sunday off for the tourney so I'll definitely be able to go (to Rob's).

I don't really play many RPGs minus the few FF games that aren't bad, there's just not enough action going on in most of them. I MUST KILL THINGS.

Also if anyone wants to play any games at all this weekend hit me up. Otherwise I'll probably just be playing Skyrim because I have too much free time.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
@Rob emulating games is totally shameless. Any attempt at finding those old games will probably be just money spent on some dude rather then the developers. They're off in other companies too, so unless you want to fund more of SEGA's pachinkos then no one cares you emulate.

Well I guess I should just do it :o

xenogears is on PSN : D

and Metal Gear is greater than the greatest. It's so freaking amazing and deep! I need that HD collection.

Rob, what do you mean by spam limit break??? are you talking about UT? no... I don't do that.
Buy it

MGS1 is awesome.

And I mean Squalls limit from FF8.

I found out I for sure have next Sat/Sunday off for the tourney so I'll definitely be able to go (to Rob's).
Excellent

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
While you guys tell stories about what RPG is the best, I'm just going to play Metal Gear.
I need to go buy MGS2 I had it but a friend lost it after I let them borrow it but it's ok cause the game is only like $5 also I think you took my friends gloves by accident after you guys left he was asking for a pair of gloves and I was like oops I think I just gave them away XP

xenogears is on PSN : D I considered purchasing it but instead spent $5 on RE2 and I'm kinda glad... it has 4th Survivor and I need to get to that point.. some how. I'm awful at that game >.<
Really $5 for RE2 man I bought that for $30 on the GameCube which is the most expensive of the four RE1 = $10, RE2 = $30, RE3 = $25-30 also one of my favorites and RE4 = $20 I own them all except RE4 cause I originally had it for the Wii but sold it then I just download it on my hardrive I also have RE: Code Veronica but is on pretty bad condition and Greg is holding RE5 for me lol but even though Code Veronica is all messed up I'll probably get the PSN one in HD.

Dude I know man I needs to get that too I actually wanted to get a 3DS only so I can play Snake Eater and the new RE.

One more reason why Blank will stick to playing Amy ^.^

I'm definetly playing Trish now <3

GREG I FREAKING TOLD YOU HE WAS GOING TO BE IN THE GAME >.<

Virgil got the same one as Dante which is kool but could have given him a different one actually they could have given him Nero 0.0

So yeah looking at Phoenix and She-Hulk I kinda want to play as them cause I like there alt. costumes
http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/11/umvc3-dlc-costume-leaks-are-full-of-fan-service-and-trolling/
and with one of Storms colors that is blue and yellow and looks pretty awesome.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Lmfao. People weren't kidding when they said he'd be DLC.

Also OMG@JON TALBAIN!!1! I am so torn right now because I planned to replace Ammy with RR, but now I don't even know anymore. I might have to run Dante/Ammy/RR or something stupid!

But yeah I wish these costumes weren't DLC. I want to see them at tournaments. Thats why Canada Cup was so good man!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I don't see how you can be hyped about a costume for X, it's not like that's going to change how he plays or his moves.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Dat Capcom be trollin they need to start working on MML 3 again and give fans what they deserve.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I kind of agree with you gamegenie222...just because I'm not that selfish, the Legends series is pretty mediocre as a whole and they would be better off whoring mega man 11-20 and X9-X69 imo, but that game is almost complete and they were like "No, lets just focus more of our money on ripping stupid americans off with Mega Man X troll DLC."

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I don't see how you can be hyped about a costume for X, it's not like that's going to change how he plays or his moves.
K well if I where to put this on Greg's view he never wanted X to be put in the game of all the Mega Man he didn't want him to be ruin by being on a fighting game so even though it's only a costume people can still play as him even though it's Zero also one of Zero's colors is X with full armor.
I should also mention I'm the same way I kinda want to play Phoenix only cause they gave her the old school X-men look ^.^

Lol this ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ueyw7bmUE

~GregDang!~

Smash Master

K well if I where to put this on Greg's view he never wanted X to be put in the game of all the Mega Man he didn't want him to be ruin by being on a fighting game so even though it's only a costume people can still play as him even though it's Zero also one of Zero's colors is X with full armor.
^This. But it will eventually happen. I mean Dante happened and the dude didn't want Dante to be in a fighting game. They need to bring back old franchises like Cyberbots
(Jin)
, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Breath of Fire, and others.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
^This. But it will eventually happen. I mean Dante happened and the dude didn't want Dante to be in a fighting game. They need to bring back old franchises like Cyberbots
(Jin)
Actually the guy who made the DMC series retired or moved to a different company not really sure point being yes he didn't want Dante to be ***** out but since he left, CAPCOM was pretty much free to do what ever they wanted with the franchise
(and that's why we got all 3 main chars from the series)
which also explains why the new DMC looks so gay (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cyberbots may be represented in TvC2 like Jin in his Mech assuming they keep the big chars for Darkstalkers I wanted Demitri in MvC3 but only cause of his Midnight Bliss super >.0 also Rival Schools chars are saved for CvS3 ^.^

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Everyone: Ya'll crack me up. I go on this rage about people playing RPG's...call out my distaste for them...and ya'll start up 3 pages of what RPG's i SHOULD play. LOL...I guess....well I think before I die I'll take you guys advice. I'll check out FF7, Chronotrigger, whatever the newest Star Ocean is at the time, Panzer Dragoon Saga (I liked the flying dragon versions), and Tales of (something). Blank also hit it right on the head. I had Shenmue for Dreamcast and played it 2 times. I was like "WTF is this $@#$@#$". LOL....so yeah, you guys would have gotten a kick out of watching me play that...

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
(Jin)
I know man. Namco X Capcom did it right, it reached into the obscure pocket of Capcom franchises that all needed the love.

Actually the guy who made the DMC series retired or moved to a different company not really sure point being yes he didn't want Dante to be ***** out but since he left, CAPCOM was pretty much free to do what ever they wanted with the franchise
(and that's why we got all 3 main chars from the series)
which also explains why the new DMC looks so gay (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Yeah pretty much, now hes the director of Bayonetta. Hes not the only one that left Capcom, Keiji Inafune left too. So really I don't know what Capcom is going to do with Megaman or DMC besides let them be outsourced to some cheesy start-ups and hope for the best.

@Everyone: Ya'll crack me up. I go on this rage about people playing RPG's...call out my distaste for them...and ya'll start up 3 pages of what RPG's i SHOULD play. LOL...I guess....well I think before I die I'll take you guys advice. I'll check out FF7, Chronotrigger, whatever the newest Star Ocean is at the time, Panzer Dragoon Saga (I liked the flying dragon versions), and Tales of (something). Blank also hit it right on the head. I had Shenmue for Dreamcast and played it 2 times. I was like "WTF is this $@#$@#$". LOL....so yeah, you guys would have gotten a kick out of watching me play that...
That game is so good! Very novel experience lol. Just the quaintness of it all, and feeding kitties and playing at the arcades and collecting SEGA toys and records and then go out and beat up sailors with moves you learned at your home dojo...

But yeah, I just assume you played most the famous Dreamcast-era games. That was pretty much my childhood so. :D

I didn't play many games on SNES back then except TMNT, Kirby, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, and DKC. Theres probably more but its hard to say, because I just emulated a lot of SNES games on my Dreamcast with this huge disc of games that had a complete library of games for other systems.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I, Like Skizm, am up to play games Sunday and Monday. I'll be leaving for my next tour of Florida come wednesday. I'm going to try and bring back some techniques for Bpx. :)

Top Bottom