• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman

well this is what im shooting for but im still pretty unsure on how this team will work out, still undecided on whom the 6th person would be
;_;

Well the team as a whole seems solid enough with standard move sets and no clear weakness at least type wise. You can always use Shoddy and try out the team. This way you don't spend over 9000 hours in raising a team just to find out it doesn't work. Also its good practice as a big part of pokemon is prediction.

Why are you guys so ****ing nerd Pokemon right now? THIS IS SMASH BROS!
You have a problem with it? Talk to Shuckle

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
alright good stuff for the information. i really appreate it but here is a little bit more indepth on move sets and what i think on my choices.

Metagross
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion

i read somewhere that metagross is just a good lead in plat. so i decided to just roll with him, not much there

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (grass)
- Baton Pass

with jolteon, Hidden power grass is to take out swampert and can wreck a little damage to Tyranitars from what i've read. Baton Pass so i can get out intimidate switches with Gyarados for early/mid game

Gyarados
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Waterfall
- SleepTalk

gyarados is there to wreck up a lot of damage but not there to sweep cause like bone said, i would have too many attackers or sweepers. also he can be a status absorber with the rest+sleeptalk combo

Heatran
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power (ice)
- Explosion

revenge killer and hidden power (ice) to take out dragons like salamence and dragonite. Explodes at the late game when the job is done

Scizor - leaning towards scizor now indead of lucario
- Bullet Punch
- Super Power
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

just there to be my mid/late game sweeper, not much really there as well.

well this is what im shooting for but im still pretty unsure on how this team will work out, still undecided on whom the 6th person would be
;_;
Metaknightgross - I'd suggest Bullet punch over EQ or MM so that you can basically counter the usual leads that'll try to set up stealth rock (Aerodactyl, Azelf, other fast guys)

Jolteon - Intimidate switching is new to me. If its what I think it is, couldn't you just switch out normally? Assuming he doesn't have that choice specs anymore, Charge beam would also be good so you can potentially pass Sp Atk boosts, but its not needed. Trading in an offensive move for Substitute or agility could be an option also, but it'd limit what you could kill

Gyarados - looks alright. From Suicune experience though, one or two attacks on a water type just doesn't do it for me. I tend to get walled extremely easily, especially by other bulky water types like Vaporeon, Milotic, another Suicune, Gyarados, and Tentacruel (I got 6-0'd that battle). They might try to mindgame you with HP Electric so keep an eye out.

Heatran - is a bitch. yours looks good

Scizor - Should be Uber but isn't lol. Have fun destroying stuff, and make sure you have technician.

6th guy- if you're gonna use any focus sashes then a spinner is a must. Another guy to take EQ's would be great for your team. Like Love said, a Special wall would be good too. Or maybe someone who could potentially do all 3 o.O

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
alright good stuff for the information. i really appreate it but here is a little bit more indepth on move sets and what i think on my choices.

Metagross
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion

i read somewhere that metagross is just a good lead in plat. so i decided to just roll with him, not much there

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (grass)
- Baton Pass

with jolteon, Hidden power grass is to take out swampert and can wreck a little damage to Tyranitars from what i've read. Baton Pass so i can get out intimidate switches with Gyarados for early/mid game

Gyarados
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Waterfall
- SleepTalk

gyarados is there to wreck up a lot of damage but not there to sweep cause like bone said, i would have too many attackers or sweepers. also he can be a status absorber with the rest+sleeptalk combo

Heatran
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power (ice)
- Explosion

revenge killer and hidden power (ice) to take out dragons like salamence and dragonite. Explodes at the late game when the job is done

Scizor - leaning towards scizor now indead of lucario
- Bullet Punch
- Super Power
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

just there to be my mid/late game sweeper, not much really there as well.

;_;
From the looks of your team, which is pretty offensive, how about Togekiss as your last member? Togekiss has pretty decent special defense, and doesn't have to worry about EQ. A Togekiss with Serene Grace and Air Slash can also go a long way in taking out a few pokes.

And yes Bullet Punch would really help so stealth rock doesn't ruin any focus sashers.

Edit: O, Bone already reccomended Togekiss...

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
well im lookin at either blissey or togekiss as my last person for the special defence wall or baton passer. if i was to use one of them it would look like this

Blissey
- Wish
- Protect
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam
- Toxic

or

Togekiss
- Nasty Plot / Substitute
- Air Slash / Encore
- Baton Pass
- Roost

something like this is what im lookin at for my 6th person

EDIT: for Dusknoir \(^o^)/

Dusknoir
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Punch
- ThunderPunch / Ice Punch
- Pain Split

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
If you're going to be running one of the two, you should also consider that both can make great use of Thunder Wave(Or Body Slam), which would probably be useful for a baton passing Togekiss. Other than that, those sets look good.

Teh Future

Smash Master
You guys are STILL talking about pokemon? You should be talking about how awesome stl is for driving 6 hours to come to a monthly tournament in a basement

Cant wait (not for the tournament, the drive is gonna be sooooooooooooo fun)

:D

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Would it make some people happy to know that I haven't even read the last like 4 pages?

St. Louis I personally think you guys rock for coming up to this tournament. That is why this tournament is gonna be so awesome.

JBM our you have to play mew2 deal remains in effect correct?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Who needs a venue when you have a basement? We should hold Midwest Championships at Joker's house. The weather will be so nice, everyone can wait outside and be called in for their matches. :D

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
I just watched the Dragonball movie with DBGT animation that retold the beginning of Dragonball. it was sick except for that they freaked up the storyline and there was no Krillin or ChiChi. Goku almost became a Super Saiyan at age 8 or so o.O. He also had GT clothes instead of his normal all purple.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Hey Bone, I think you've played SRT: Endless Frontier on DS right? How is that game and whats the story? I heard since they took Reiji and Xiaomu into the game it pretty much makes Namco X Capcom canon in the SRT series, and that SRT:EF is really similar to Namco X Capcom except with better battles.

I'm really enjoying NxC by the way. Only 10 hours in out of a supposed 70-100 hour game and I plan to replay it on expert once I unlock it too.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if it's the same one but I saw one like it ^.^
Can't remember what the story was about but the kid looked like Goku when he was a kid, but at the end he reaches the house where Goku use to lived with his grandpa then the camera looks at the sky and it shows Goku. Point being they made it seems like it was Goku from DB but it was Pan's grandchild and everyone is pretty much gone T.T

Besides that I know they remade some episodes of DragonBall using the new artwork from GT also they did a special episode for Shonen Jump 40th Anniversary I believe so o.0
Funny episode if you haven't seen it yet watch now(loved the intro) >.0
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
The movie I watched was called Dragonball The Path to Power or something, it was the beginning of dragonball except they messed around with the story, gave Goku the ability to power up and shoot rediculously strong Kamehamehas, and gave Goku GT clothes. Im not talking about the whole Goku Jr. movie. Im watching your video now

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
well actually u guys, the one that joker posted was just an ONA so nothing really much from that, just an 1 episode fun stuff for Jump's 40th Anniversary. the one matt is talkin about is called "the path of power" so he did get that one on the dot. the path of power was basically a retelling of Dragon Ball's origin with a different take on the meeting of Goku, Bulma, and Kame-Sen'nin. It also retells the Red Ribbon Army story; but this time they find Goku rather than Goku finding them. its all basically random dragon ball shenanigans \(^o^)/ but still fun to watch

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Hey Bone, I think you've played SRT: Endless Frontier on DS right? How is that game and whats the story? I heard since they took Reiji and Xiaomu into the game it pretty much makes Namco X Capcom canon in the SRT series, and that SRT:EF is really similar to Namco X Capcom except with better battles.

I'm really enjoying NxC by the way. Only 10 hours in out of a supposed 70-100 hour game and I plan to replay it on expert once I unlock it too.
Nope, haven't played it. Don't really care for the Original Generation.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Nope, haven't played it. Don't really care for the Original Generation.
Which ones have you played? I don't even know which ones were ever released in english lol.

Endless Frontier seems more like a spin-off anyways, seeing as you fight with humans on Earth.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Which ones have you played? I don't even know which ones were ever released in english lol.

Endless Frontier seems more like a spin-off anyways, seeing as you fight with humans on Earth.
Played alpha and currently playing through K for DS, started playing the firs OG for GBA but lost interest. All of the ones release here are either OG or spin offs, it would be too much trouble to get the rights for an actual SRW game.

Kamig

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of dragonball has anyone ever played battle stadium d.o.n.? It's a fun game for anyone who hasn't played it yet you should play it when I bring it to Joker's saturday. Also if you are interested in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom I can teach you guys some stuff about it or certain chars if you want.

Also Blank Mauser I don't even know you but I want to borrow your copy of Namco x Capcom lol. What do you use to play import ps2 games? swap magic? mod chip?

Klaige from Shoryuken wants to have a Guilty Gear Accent Core Tourney saturday so you or bone should probably post on there and talk to them about that. Also Joker I found out that you can do snake's down tilt when holding a grenade as a regular item.

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Kamig what day are you going to Joker's for friendlies? You should make it Thursday because we can prolly get quite a few people up on that day.

Kamig

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i'll see about thursday, whenever I do go though i'll bring my wii, TvC, Battle Stadium d.o.n. and my wii arcade stick.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord

im currently playin SRT: Endless Frontier OG saga right now with like 16 hours into it and i think im like half way or so. the game does work like NxC battle wise since the games were both created by Monolith Soft. imo i think the battle system in endless frontier is far more better than NxC on the fact that its faster. heres a little bit off of wiki to tell the story.

Endless Frontier features multiple worlds with combat taking place on foot. Aside from the playable characters in the game, mecha, many of them similar to the ones from the Original Generation games, are controllable by the player's actions and issuing of commands. The battle system is similar to that of Namco X Capcom (another game developed by Monolith Soft), in that attack commands during battle are issued via timed button presses, rather than through the menu system typical of the role-playing genre. The player can chain these attacks together to execute long attack combinations while issuing a new set of commands, such as support from characters placed in the "back row". The mecha featured in this game are much smaller than the ones in the Super Robot Wars series, appearing at around 3 meters tall.

The game also features several characters from other series, mainly Namco x Capcom and Xenosaga because Monolith Soft is the developers of all these games. that is why Reiji, Xaimou, KOS-MOS, Saya and T-elos is in endless frontier as cross over from NxC and Xenosaga.

as for NxC, it does seem kind of slow battle wise compared to Endless Frontier but its kind of the same concept. but all in all its a pretty fun game for a spin off. \(^o^)/

Speaking of dragonball has anyone ever played battle stadium d.o.n.? It's a fun game for anyone who hasn't played it yet you should play it when I bring it to Joker's saturday. Also if you are interested in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom I can teach you guys some stuff about it or certain chars if you want.

Also Blank Mauser I don't even know you but I want to borrow your copy of Namco x Capcom lol. What do you use to play import ps2 games? swap magic? mod chip?

Klaige from Shoryuken wants to have a Guilty Gear Accent Core Tourney saturday so you or bone should probably post on there and talk to them about that. Also Joker I found out that you can do snake's down tilt when holding a grenade as a regular item.
i burned battle stadium don for joker so he does have that game. so some of us probably played it before. i havent played TvC in so long i rustly as shit and dont really remember how to play right. GGAC tourney would be fun but too bad i suck at that game. ;_;

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

Well I'm not very far into the game and probably won't finish it soon, but I use swapmagic and if you can play burned games on your PS2 I can burn you a copy and give it to you at Joker's this weekend.

A GG Tourney does sound fun, don't know if anyone else in the crew would be interested though.

im currently playin SRT: Endless Frontier OG saga right now with like 16 hours into it and i think im like half way or so. the game does work like NxC battle wise since the games were both created by Monolith Soft. imo i think the battle system in endless frontier is far more better than NxC on the fact that its faster. heres a little bit off of wiki to tell the story.

Endless Frontier features multiple worlds with combat taking place on foot. Aside from the playable characters in the game, mecha, many of them similar to the ones from the Original Generation games, are controllable by the player's actions and issuing of commands. The battle system is similar to that of Namco X Capcom (another game developed by Monolith Soft), in that attack commands during battle are issued via timed button presses, rather than through the menu system typical of the role-playing genre. The player can chain these attacks together to execute long attack combinations while issuing a new set of commands, such as support from characters placed in the "back row". The mecha featured in this game are much smaller than the ones in the Super Robot Wars series, appearing at around 3 meters tall.

The game also features several characters from other series, mainly Namco x Capcom and Xenosaga because Monolith Soft is the developers of all these games. that is why Reiji, Xaimou, KOS-MOS, Saya and T-elos is in endless frontier as cross over from NxC and Xenosaga.

as for NxC, it does seem kind of slow battle wise compared to Endless Frontier but its kind of the same concept. but all in all its a pretty fun game for a spin off. \(^o^)/
Yeah, it does look similar. NxC kind of surprises me for a crossover game. Y'know, I expected re-used sprites, people acting out of character, imbalanced and short gameplay and stuff like that, but the game is really solid.

I don't mind the pace of the battle honestly, really what I like is the way it rewards you. Its not like any other SRPG I've played. You use AP to move and battle, and by doing awesome combos and killing units you get AP bonuses allowing you to get another turn sooner. This makes it better to aim for the weak enemies first and chain their kills so you get to attack more often. When its not your turn you get to choose to defend or take the hit, it costs 1AP to defend but by defending perfectly you get 2AP back, letting you get another turn sooner again. There is no drawback to defending lol.

So pretty much the game rewards you offensively for charging your units straight into the middle of weak-hitting enemies and killing whatever you can off, so long as you pull off your combos and defense right which isn't really that challenging. Theres no strategic weaknesses to aim for, no need to be careful at all really. Problem with this is that it makes the game so easy and my units almost always feel unstoppable, they're never in danger. Then again I'm only 10 hours into the game and still have expert mode to unlock so hoping it gets harder.

Plus the music is badace lol.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
i bet the music is pretty B.A. since they have ppls themes and such. i was lookin at the games made by monolith soft, NxC is a japan exclusive. im guessin that since u do use swap magic, u english patched the iso before u burned it so thats y its translated right?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
i bet the music is pretty B.A. since they have ppls themes and such. i was lookin at the games made by monolith soft, NxC is a japan exclusive. im guessin that since u do use swap magic, u english patched the iso before u burned it so thats y its translated right?
Mhm. And yes the themes play every turn, its pretty sweet lol.

Top Bottom