• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inverse matchup thread

Milln

Smash Champion
I would laugh if u replaced this with "RING-RING-RING-RING-RING, BANANA PHONE (boop doop dedoop)".
lol.
Speaking of this, I wish to note that the ringtone on my cellular phone for all of my voice calls is the sped up version of Banana Phone. =3

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Not to bring this back or anything but I've noticed many of the other character boards starting (or re-starting) matchup threads. Mainly because we're starting a few.. Anyway people have developed new strategies and concepts ect; so I'm updating.

Do not get this confused with any matchup threads/posts we have here, this isn't about how to fight a character, this is how they'll fight you. This gives you a heads up and outlines character specific techniques to look out for in a specific match, how you respond to them is your choice.

Bowser, Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Falco, Fox, Game and Watch, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers and Ike have been updated. I'll get more done later one

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I think everyone that contributed to this thread deserves a gold star.
good job guys!

@Nodrak
earlier, counterstages was brought up, Im training all day tomorrow with a friend for a tournament saturday. During which I could take note of some tournament legal counterstages for Lucario. Or all stages too (will take a bit longer though...). ok?
-t2

Nodrak

Smash Ace
As we've discovered in the stage discussion thread (which died for the second time not too long ago) no one can agree on banned/counterpicked stages yet. Some say shadow moses island should be counterpicked while others think it should be banned for it's walls (and when there's a lack of a wall) walk-off able edges. If anything I'd just do all stages. Tournies aren't equal in their picks, I bet a few still use hanenbow as counterpick. I'll work on getting more characters up later on today as well.

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
As we've discovered in the stage discussion thread (which died for the second time not too long ago) no one can agree on banned/counterpicked stages yet. Some say shadow moses island should be counterpicked while others think it should be banned for it's walls (and when there's a lack of a wall) walk-off able edges. If anything I'd just do all stages. Tournies aren't equal in their picks, I bet a few still use hanenbow as counterpick. I'll work on getting more characters up later on today as well.
People are too scared of DDD's infinite grabs with the walls so I doubt Shadow Moses will be a counterpick.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Saving this from the last page of death. I know we have a real match up thread now, but we can't let this one die on us; its unique. What other board can say they have an inverse match up thread?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
For Samus...

1. Samus will Zair at you constantly and sometimes even missile cancel afterwards. Watch out for it, as almost NOTHING goes through the Zair.
2. Samus loves her Dair very much and will even use it to approach sometimes on-stage.
3. Bombs make a viable roll substitute.
4. Samus will do her hardest to knock you off/Zair you off the stage, then spike the hell out of you when you attempt to recover. A good Samus will usually pull this off.
5. Charge Shot is a KO move that has basically NO lag once it's fully charged. Be wary once your % gets high and she fully charges it...
6. Dtilt is her primary vertical kill move. She'll usually attempt to use it when you're not expecting it. It's faster than dsmash and much more versatile than fsmash.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
well i learnd one thing today

when fighting link DONT try to Doubleteam its relly hard to predict his attacks fast enough.

and dont aura spam eaither...

you want to use the hit and defend technique

messing with a good link will mess you up esspecialy with the tiltU tiltD combos

is there a sudden death tech for link?

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Wow I swear... Just yesterday I was thinking I should finish updating this and see where it goes from there.

Thanks Tom, I have no idea how the Zelda stuff got down there >.< I'll work on an update tomorrow, glad to see people still care about this post =P

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord

Yoshi:
-

Zero Suit Samus:

-For all you guys out there, they may try to distract you with Zamus as eyecandy!

hahahaha, I wasn't sure if the distraction factor really worked(I don't really look around much).

NEWAY, I like the idea of your inverse matchup, and the yoshis!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar:
-They focus on spacing and ground attacks
-One mentioned that most of our combos start with a 'jab > jab > something' which can be countered by staying out of range
-They focus on spacing
-They may counter force palm with aerials but is discouraged from aerial fights in general
-All around they seem to want to try to gimp our recovery.
-They're generally discouraged from latching pikmin on us due to them giving us damage without knockback and because we can just double team them for a free, strong attack. (though they are wise to this and can predict it)
-They will throw pikmin however to block aura spheres (purple ones if they order them properly).
-They focus on spacing
-They like their dair spikes.
-They like shieldgrabs to punish us for being too close when we get in their range.
-They focus on spacing

LOL, pretty much that's all we focus on. Spacing FTW

Nodrak

Smash Ace

Yoshi:
-

Zero Suit Samus:

-For all you guys out there, they may try to distract you with Zamus as eyecandy!

hahahaha, I wasn't sure if the distraction factor really worked(I don't really look around much).

NEWAY, I like the idea of your inverse matchup, and the yoshis!
Had those yoshi gif's from so long ago but never had the chance to use them =D Also yeah.. The eyecandy thing was proven when my friends and I played King of Fighters 2006. For some reason no matter what we did the girl with the biggest bust size/tightest outfit won.

[/SIZE]
LOL, pretty much that's all we focus on. Spacing FTW
Olimar's one of the characters I need to update >.< But yeah, most Olimars I've faced focused on it to win and only used tilts when their pikmin died for some reason (no blue ones and they fell in water.. ect)

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Also, for fighting Ike, you should take note that despite Ike incredible power, his smash attacks comes out really slow. As such, try to use tilt attacks to interrupt his smash attacks (particularly his killer, forward smash). Since Lucario is faster than Ike, you can rack up damage easily on Ike by using up-tilt (possibly a very fast tilt).

Also, since Ike is considered a fast-faller, consider trying to force to the point that his Aether will cause a SD, since Ike's recovery is way worse than Lucario (which Lucario's ExtremeSpeed can "bend"). Also, use Lucario's Force Palm to chain grab Ike, since Ike tends to be vulnerable to chain grabs due to him being a fast-faller.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Ummm why did you just bump a thread thats balls old? undoubtedly some characters have their fighting styles updated and this thread kinda obsolete. (though I think this was a good idea and another should be made.)

Top Bottom