• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Weapon of Choice (BROWSER POLL)

Which web browser do you prefer?

• Apple Safari

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 145 26.3%
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 40 7.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 315 57.2%
  • Opera

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 1.6%

• Total voters

MBreeto

Smash Ace
ugh, I would vote for safari but it just doesn't have the features and customization that I get from Firefox.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
*still waiting for Chrome for Linux*

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
over 75% of people still use IE you know. Lol Chrome.
But it doesn't account for several factors. First off, based on sheer number of users alone, yeah, IE eats up a large chunk. However, in many sites I build, the visitors are often over 80% Firefox users because the large chunk of IE users include old people who cannot operate a computer to save their lives. I don't really care or cater to that audience. Also, I would argue that Firefox users spend far more hours on the Internet than IE users. Since they spend considerably more time doing things online, having a safe/effective browser means much more than to someone who gets on to check email and gets right back off.

noradseven

Smash Lord
But it doesn't account for several factors. First off, based on sheer number of users alone, yeah, IE eats up a large chunk. However, in many sites I build, the visitors are often over 80% Firefox users because the large chunk of IE users include old people who cannot operate a computer to save their lives. I don't really care or cater to that audience. Also, I would argue that Firefox users spend far more hours on the Internet than IE users. Since they spend considerably more time doing things online, having a safe/effective browser means much more than to someone who gets on to check email and gets right back off.
I know almost all nerds use firefox, and out of people college age only about 50% use IE, and out of people that I am friends with its nearly completly firefox, I know these facts, I am just pointing out that this thread is also biased because its only taking the people on smash boards, in the comptuer cafe, which I expect is all nerds if you took all of smashboards, it would probably be about 20% IE at least.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I am just pointing out that this thread is also biased because its only taking the people on smash boards, in the comptuer cafe, which I expect is all nerds if you took all of smashboards, it would probably be about 20% IE at least.
Of course. I already know the stats of browser usage out in the real world. Why would I not want to know the numbers on this biased sample? Of course I want to know SWF-specific stats. :)

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
Lately, after getting my own laptop, I decided to download Firefox just to see what made it so great.
Honestly, I prefer it over IE and use it all the time.
*Votes for FF*

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm interested in what Firefox 3.1 will have to offer.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Firefox, though I've been thinking about giving Chrome a try...

Probably going to end up staying with Firefox, though. All the customization is awesome.

Mokkun

Smash Rookie
Mozilla FireFox for some time now. Too lazy to get any other. Using Safari or Opera on other computers when available.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Crap. I can't. I'd have to restart the poll. :(

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
How amazing is google chrome? atm, I use Firefox but I might switch over to chrome.

Buzz, you have one huge avatar. lolol

Niiro

Smash Ace
Chrome is a BEAST. It looks nice and it's pretty fast. The only thing that FF3 has over it imo, is that it saves your pages when you close the window.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Firefox for me, but I haven't tried Chrome yet.

I'm surprised IE is 2nd in votes.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Hmm... So far it is the Firefox Armageddon...

noradseven

Smash Lord
Firefox is the safest and most secure browser anywhere. Plus, it's open-source, it's got addons, and I have my good old DopeROMs toolbar. :)
"safest/most secure" ha(I think chrome is officially the most secure right now) , the main thing I like is it works, can run *most websites*, and has addons.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
It still cracks me up that the other browsers have not broken out of single digits yet.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Chrome is a BEAST. It looks nice and it's pretty fast. The only thing that FF3 has over it imo, is that it saves your pages when you close the window.
You can set it so that google chrome does the same too.

I am addicted to chrome after being a FF user for a while. I tried it one day and I liked the tiny bit of extra screen space I got. I mean firefox has so much more to offer with all the add-ons and what not but chrome just makes me feel good. It's so simple looking and nice.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
has anyone one noticed that when you look at someones profile you have tabs for posts and personal info when on firefox but when you use IE you don't on SWF of course Mozilla EATS IE and all that oppose it!

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Every time I have to use IE at my college I feel like I'm using outdated software.

Mozilla takes it easily.

mskusu

Smash Cadet
Definitely Firefox for its add-ons and customizability. I can't remember ever not using it for my home computer; whenever I have to use a computer with IE it feels like I'm missing something. My best friend still uses IE because he thinks downloading FF will slow down his PC... :ohwell:

Mith_

Smash Champion
Internet Explorer should just give up, seriously. Put Mozilla as default browser on all new computers instead of IE from now on. IE can't compete with the ownage that is Firefox.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Internet Explorer should just give up, seriously. Put Mozilla as default browser on all new computers instead of IE from now on. IE can't compete with the ownage that is Firefox.
Good thing Microsoft doesn't have to compete. Microsoft has gotten where they are today by NOT competing in a Free Market.

Really good article on the history of Microsoft's Monopoly and anti-competitive business practices:

http://www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalversion_Consumerchoicepaper.pdf

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Good thing Microsoft doesn't have to compete. Microsoft has gotten where they are today by NOT competing in a Free Market.

Really good article on the history of Microsoft's Monopoly and anti-competitive business practices:

http://www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalversion_Consumerchoicepaper.pdf
I just read that before seeing this post. Microsoft is composed of some the least ethical people in the world. They are so afraid of genuine competition.

Top Bottom