• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Censorship 2.0: FML

etecoon

Smash Hero
Speaking of shady, people should be boycotting BioWare year round to begin with. SWTOR literally tanked so hard that they tried to hide the unsubscribe page and hid the button for it on that page too, I hope they get sued into oblivion.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Not quite. Though trying to absolve Sony here because their gaming division hasn't specifically spoken is pretty ludicrous when you see like every other branch of Sony on that list -_-

I do agree though that NoA probably would support it even if they haven't publicly said so, NoA -is- pretty terrible.
Sony is like my company: each branch is roughly unrelated. Case in point, Fox News is ultra conservative, but Fox Network (and FX) are super liberal.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I know there's some degree of separation, but I'd think they'd still be run under some architecture of like minded philosophy, and as I just edited that post to say...Sony's overall philosophy, including the history of it's game division in particular, has shown a patterned behavior of undermining their own customers. Shoddy manufacturing and then refusing to fix consoles until sued? Not bothering to encrypt CC data? Removing advertised features at a later date via forced firmware updates? Trying to subpoena people for merely having visited a youtube page? That is all from Sony Electronics, this kind of thing is just what they do.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Lamar Smith is pulling the bill from discussion.

http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/sopa-is-dead-smith-pulls-bill/

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Megaupload technically supporting illegal activity anyways? I'm pretty sure I've found myself on that site watching some episodes of a tv show, and I know others do that as well.
yeah. the thing about the megaupload case was that there are years and years of emails amongst the CEOs and other workers that directly acknowledged the piracy as well as MU employees uploading hundreds of gigs of pirated material themselves. They really ****ed themselves over being so smug and loose-lipped about what they were doing. With those emails, they could not pull the "we just provide the filesharing service, it's not our fault pirates abused it" because it was exceedingly obvious that megaupload was the pirates.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
yeah. the thing about the megaupload case was that there are years and years of emails amongst the CEOs and other workers that directly acknowledged the piracy as well as MU employees uploading hundreds of gigs of pirated material themselves. They really ****ed themselves over being so smug and loose-lipped about what they were doing. With those emails, they could not pull the "we just provide the filesharing service, it's not our fault pirates abused it" because it was exceedingly obvious that megaupload was the pirates.
The fact they were also laundering money didn't make their case any better. Oh, the poor, naive fools.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I've just recently heard of ACTA.

My question is why? Why do these "higher ups" insist on destroying and controlling freedom and privacy? *sighs*
From what I understand, ACTA isn't a law, but an agreement (hence the title), so they can, and I think did, sign this without any word from the people.

Laem

Smash Champion
Well kind of depends what you mean by 'word of the people'. These agreements sure arent 'signed' by referendum (that would be ridiculous). But afaik the EU parliament got democratic legitimacy, for what its worth.
I have some serious doubts btw just how bad ACTA is. I skimmed over a part of it and didn't really see anything bad.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I showed this video to someone else, and I was told that this guy was probably overreacting. She brought up a couple points... Apparently, it costs a LOT of money to extradite people, and the paperwork that officials have to sign is just too much trouble for them.

Maybe that's just pure optimism, but I hope these points are true as well.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
I didn't click that because about 20 times a year we hear about how the Internet is like 2 days away from being completely censored, and everyone freaks out and calls the government crazy, then nothing happens and everyone forgets about it.

Seriously this stuff is worse than end of the world predictions.
Actually it's MUCH worse. If the internet got censored, do you think humanity would be effected in such a way it'd go extinct? No ;)

Sol9000, postin' nonsense since 2008

Top Bottom