• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant edgehog - Made easy

King Kong

Smash Lord
DK's instant edgehog is a sexy technique. Its stylish and certainly has it applications in smash.

However, its so freaking hard to do consistantly that its hardly worth learning.

The main problem is that its especially difficult to time the edgehog correctly and combining it with a reverse instant charge canceled punch makes even the most advanced apects of Fox's tech game feel like a walk in the park.

So, the remedy is to make it easier to perfrom. So what you do is:

1: Run at the edge
2: Slam down just before you reach the edge - This way you will crouch and slide off the edge
3: Move the control stick a quarter turn towards the stage (This should follow the crouch all in one motion)
4: Quickly let go of the stick and cancel a charge punch

Its MUCH easier to do the instant edgehog this way. It turns the instant edgehog into a technique that IMO is of a similar technical difficulty to moonwalking, if not slightly easier as it pretty much just mastering the quarter turn thats the hard part. You also have a little more time to cancel the punch as you remain closer to the stage than if you had run off.

Anyways, give it a shot :)

peace out

It sounds complicated

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
DK's instant edgehog is a sexy technique. Its stylish and certainly has it applications in smash.

However, its so freaking hard to do consistantly that its hardly worth learning.

The main problem is that its especially difficult to time the edgehog correctly and combining it with a reverse instant charge canceled punch makes even the most advanced apects of Fox's tech game feel like a walk in the park.

So, the remedy is to make it easier to perfrom. So what you do is:

1: Run at the edge
2: Slam down just before you reach the edge - This way you will crouch and slide off the edge
3: Move the control stick a quarter turn towards the stage (This should follow the crouch all in one motion)
4: Quickly let go of the stick and cancel a charge punch

Its MUCH easier to do the instant edgehog this way. It turns the instant edgehog into a technique that IMO is of a similar technical difficulty to moonwalking, if not slightly easier as it pretty much just mastering the quarter turn thats the hard part. You also have a little more time to cancel the punch as you remain closer to the stage than if you had run off.

Anyways, give it a shot :)

peace out

It sounds complicated
Just from the sound of this, doesn't this automatically make the characters who have charge moves that are cancelled by L or R in the air able to do this too? Sounds good, but just to be sure, when do you start the punch?

King Kong

Smash Lord
No, i've tried doing it with other characters and DK's the only one who's B move cancels quickly enough. You start the punch just after the quarter turn, just after you slide off the ledge.

James S, I'll try to get it on film sometime, but I dont have a camera and its the middle of exams..... so the quickest I could do it would be in a week or so.

peace out

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I don't know about this technique, but I do know that every character can instant-edgehog by just walking full-speed at the edge, and turning toward the level right as they slide off the level. Is this technique superior enough to warrant the technicality of it?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
It seems like this technique would allow for a broader window of accuracy. I too have heard of/done the instant hog by walking and turning at the precise time, but that's pretty hard to do consistently.

King Kong

Smash Lord
I don't know about this technique, but I do know that every character can instant-edgehog by just walking full-speed at the edge, and turning toward the level right as they slide off the level. Is this technique superior enough to warrant the technicality of it?
The main problem I had with doing the normal IE was the timing, and that timing is also what makes that 'pivot' edgehog you described so tough to do. This way you have a consistant and (relatively) simple method for grabbing the edge.

Well, I figured it has similar as Yoshi's since they are about the same speed. It would therefore have the same applications as Yoshi's edgehog (Baiting out sweetspotting marths and unwary space animals) it also gives DK an 'escape' move and above all its flashy as hell.
The other thing is that it speeds up DK's edgeguarding game to an extent and provides more options.

Its also not that hard, give it a couple weeks of casual practise and you'd have it.

Lets also not forget it was TT who invented it - respect :)

peace out

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I'm being difficult but I'm not understanding this. What exactly does the quarter turn on the control stick do?

Can someone explain this to me because I really want to get this down

King Kong

Smash Lord
Sorry if I'm being difficult but I'm not understanding this. What exactly does the quarter turn on the control stick do?

Can someone explain this to me because I really want to get this down
The quarter turn towards the stage means that you are holding towards the stage the moment you slide off. As such, when you press B you turn around, then when you cancel it you grab the ledge.

I just found that the quarter turn makes it easier to time this technique since it can be done in one motion.

peace out

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
wow, very nice move. I can do it about once every three tries now but i'm getting there. This is alot faster but alot harder than the up-b edgegrab and looks soooo slick, the only problem is that if you mess up, you'll either press side b and harmllesly up b back on to the edge, or you'll fall to your death.

I've noticed that you can't cancel the charge instantly. You'd have to hit Z or R about 0.25 seconds after you charge the b with donkey so it looks like he pulls his fist back and brings it forward. There should be no shining on the fist.

I've also noticed that you have to press down very near to the edge because of donkey kongs poor sliding. The sliding is actually crucial for his move to be pulled off or else DK won't fall slow enough for the charge cancel to work.

That is all I have to say on this subject and I hope this helped a little bit.

King Kong

Smash Lord
wow, very nice move. I can do it about once every three tries now but i'm getting there. This is alot faster but alot harder than the up-b edgegrab and looks soooo slick, the only problem is that if you mess up, you'll either press side b and harmllesly up b back on to the edge, or you'll fall to your death.

I've noticed that you can't cancel the charge instantly. You'd have to hit Z or R about 0.25 seconds after you charge the b with donkey so it looks like he pulls his fist back and bring it forward. There should be no shining on the fist.

I've also noticed that you have to press down very near to the edge because of donkey kongs poor sliding. The sliding is actually crucial for his to be pulled off or else DK won't fall slow enough for the charge cancel to work.

That is all I have to say on this subject and I hope this helped a little bit.
Yeah thats exactly right, the slide gives you a little more time to cancel the punch. If you do this the normal way its impossibly hard.

peace out

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
At least you'll go down in style

peace out
omg lol 2 funny XD

(Man...how come all these topics are appearing about DK right after the news of BUM was spread. I mean the threads for DK were barren before BUM arrived, there was even a thread about there not being any threads here...wierd... it's like BUM was fuel for a rocket ship... i bet he could be if he tried)

BUM163

Smash Lord
lol naa i'm no rocket.i'm gonna start recordin more matches in ny n hopefully go 2 otha places.i'm tryin 2 go 2 fc

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Incidentally, about how soon after starting to charge should I be able to cancel? One swing?

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
King Kong said:
Before you even swing once you should be able to cancel it.

Have you checked out the Australian thread yet?
Guess I just need to try it out in Training Mode, and get an idea of how to do it properly. :laugh:

As for the thread, I might go and check it out now. Thanks!

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
No, i've tried doing it with other characters and DK's the only one who's B move cancels quickly enough. You start the punch just after the quarter turn, just after you slide off the ledge.

James S, I'll try to get it on film sometime, but I dont have a camera and its the middle of exams..... so the quickest I could do it would be in a week or so.

peace out
Sheik can do an instant edgehog, I looked it up and found this. It's hard to see, but I'm pretty sure I can spot Sheik's arm go up like she was a-chargin' her needelz.

The thread needed bumping anyway. XP

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
So, wait, basically you do a moonwalk motion as you fall off but when you are doing the turn, your charge punch will flip you around? Do you do the quarter turn before or after you fall off? I can see it is sort of like a mini-reversal charge punch + cancel.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You can do it with sheik too, and ive done it. its really hard with her. ill see how it works with dk. the only other char you could do it with is Mewtwo, tho i think it would be faster and easier to run off and upb sweetspot.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I finally got this down fairly consistently, and I gotta say it looks great. Definetly a great tool and worth the practice

It makes your upB edgegaurding game much better

Top Bottom