• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
true but if pro's come to the conclusion that inkling is a dumpster fire character than people will just hop on that statement and run with it

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
If all the pros are saying inkling is garbage, then inkling is probably garbage. They’re pros for a reason. I would trust them to know if a character is good or bad.

That being said, Inkling is consistently rated as the best newcomer. I don’t know why you’re worrying about them being perceived as bad.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
If all the pros are saying inkling is garbage, then inkling is probably garbage. They’re pros for a reason. I would trust them to know if a character is good or bad.

That being said, Inkling is consistently rated as the best newcomer. I don’t know why you’re worrying about them being perceived as bad.
early impressions are just that...early and before the game is officially out

that's why I'm a little worried

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
It’s all fun and games until somebody storms a tournament with Inkling. In the tiers that I’m seeing, they all seem to be placing Inklings as decent or completely viable. Don’t take these early lists too serious. If a character is viable but talked down someone WILL surprise the community and leave them all slack jawed.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Does anyone want to discuss which of the color palette they'll tend to use for the Inklings? Which, actually they are almost full on costumes aren't they lol? Here's what I'm going to gravitate towards.

Agent 3 - This look has grown on me over time. I didn’t care for it much in the first game, but in Splatoon 2 I found myself really enjoying it after the Octo Expansion. It's almost a bit nostalgic in a way, though I’m not sure if Splatoon is old enough to feel nostalgic yet...

Green - My favorite color, and the look is pretty darn sharp. Intimidating with a sleek green and black.

School Outfit - I’m a sucker for these. While the appeal has worn out for me on this one since the first, I enjoy the color and will probably still frequently use it.
I like the boy's hair more so than the girl's, so they get an advantage starting out.

Blue and Lime are the two that stick out to me the most. Blue's colors mesh well for me while Lime has an awesome mask, boots, and jacket.

After that are Yellow and Pink. Yellow has a cute bumblebee coloring and Violet's colors mesh well like Blue's.

Then Purple and Orange. Purple is my favorite color and he has cool boots and meshing colors... but the helmet it awful in my opinion. And Orange's colors never meshed well with me with the orange hair and hyper pink shoes.

My least favorites are Violet and Cyan. Violet just makes me think of people's school girl fascination which can get creepy. Meanwhile Cyan is like a hipster with the ugliest shirt in existence.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
What would some good secondaries be for Inkling mains? Inklings seem to struggle with range but have a great recovery, so maybe someone with longer range and a mediocre recovery can cover their weaknesses?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
What would some good secondaries be for Inkling mains? Inklings seem to struggle with range but have a great recovery, so maybe someone with longer range and a mediocre recovery can cover their weaknesses?
I think it’s tough to say with my limited experience with them. I would say a sword character since most of the swordies have disjoints and a little better reach than the Inkling. Maybe someone with my a bit more kill power since when I played that’s what I struggled with. Than again it was FFA so....

Has anyone else heard the full version of Bomb Rush Blush? I think it was pretty polarizing for some in this thread, but I am really enjoying it!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
right now I'd just love to see some actual competent inkling footage before launch...practically everyone who played inkling beforehand forgot to refill the ink gauge

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
right now I'd just love to see some actual competent inkling footage before launch...practically everyone who played inkling beforehand forgot to refill the ink gauge
It looks more like they don't even know how to refill the ink gauge...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
that's just sad.....
I know, right? It's stated outright when they show up in the E3 Direct. And on the Smash Wiki. And pretty much anywhere else their moveset is being discussed. It takes a special kind of ignorance to completely miss simple information that is clearly stated in several places...

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
a common explanation is that most of the people who went to the holiday demonstration event were just casual gamers that aren't really up to date on all things smash

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Definitely, I was just giggling the whole time about how accurately they captured how the MGS cast would react to them.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The Splatoon universe is really messed up. Race wars, enslavement, the jellyfish. Not to mention the implied mass starvation of the human race.
I thought it was mass drowning...

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think that refilling your ink is becoming a meme? Every YouTube video I watch seems to measure an Inkling's skill by if they refilled or not. XD

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Anyone else think that refilling your ink is becoming a meme? Every YouTube video I watch seems to measure an Inkling's skill by if they refilled or not. XD
Considering that a lot of Inkling players seem to be unaware that ink can be refilled or how to do it, I think this is justified...

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Playing Inkless Inkling will be this game's equivalent to Pikmin-less Olimar.
How do you get your ink to zero as quick as possible if you want to try this? Could be a fun handicap against less skilled players!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i don't see it being a good handicap as inkling can't do any of their specials without ink so it's less a handicap and more "I'm throwing the game" if you do this on purpose

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
i don't see it being a good handicap as inkling can't do any of their specials without ink so it's less a handicap and more "I'm throwing the game" if you do this on purpose
You don't need ink to super jump, and likewise you don't need ink to up b either.

Honestly it looks like they can fight competently and get nice combos without ink, they'll just struggle to kill without smashes.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
that's the thing though....you are basically giving up all that power just to be fair to some low level players and at that point you aren't even playing inkling anymore if you aren't using ink

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
except it's not really a challenge here and just makes it clear you have no respect for the opponent when you try to show you can beat them without using the characters gimmick that makes them who they are

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
except it's not really a challenge here and just makes it clear you have no respect for the opponent when you try to show you can beat them without using the characters gimmick that makes them who they are
You COULD look at it that way.

I'd use it as a way to play against friends who are new to the series and might be intimidated to go against me. Even the playing field a lil' bit, y'know?

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
After looking at everything, I'm going to try to main Inkling. They just look like a ton of fun.

Which alt is everyone going to be using? I'll probably go with the Indigo Bicycle helmet Inkboi.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Wassup inkling mains? o/ Now that inkling is in smash, I simply can't not main her. I've mostly stuck with Link in past smash games so I guess you could call me a L-ink main now. :awesome:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Wassup inkling mains? o/ Now that inkling is in smash, I simply can't not main her. I've mostly stuck with Link in past smash games so I guess you could call me a L-ink main now. :awesome:
Linkling works too. Welcome fellow squid kids!

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So the game is out now...
Thoughts on inklings? I think the feel really nice.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
So the game is out now...
Thoughts on inklings? I think the feel really nice.
I could go on and on about the various Splatoon fanservice nods like the colors but everything about them just flows together really well. I still need to get a feel for them cause it literally released not even 24 hours ago, but from what I've played they're just how they should be.

Top Bottom