• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I recently got Fortnite and Paladins because I’m too cheap to buy the online and they made me realize how much I love Splatoon. The free-to-play shooters are okay, but the movement, controls and charm of Splatoon blow both of them out of the water. They both felt really bad in comparison.

Oh well, looks like I’ll be messing around in Octo expansion until Smash.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I mean, both of those games kind of suck. Maybe try something like Overwatch instead.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I’m sure Overwatch is good, but I’m just looking for something to hold me over until Smash. Also, Overwatch + Smash is $120. I like gaming, but not that much.

And for something a little more related to spark some discussion: where do you guys think Inkling is going to be on the tier list? Personally, I think they’ll end up above average, but their ink mechanic will hold them back. Gimmicks like that never seem to work out too well.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
In the hands of people who know what they're doing, they seem incredibly good/have a lot of potential. Lots of characters with drawbacks/reliant on "gimmicks" still do very well even if they're only seen as average at best (see Yeti getting 4th at TBH8 with :4megaman: this past weekend).

Obviously things are subject to change. If they make it out of the demo build/are more or less the same as they are now in the release version, they'll be golden.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I would say that having good movement will keep them relevant in competitive. A good majority of the better characters have good mobility.

Their gimmick doesn’t seem be too detrimental. Perhaps their damage and knockback could be poor without inking your opponent, but actually having and keeping ink doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue imo.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I think the consensus is that Inkling does slightly lower base damage in return for having the ink mechanic. So if it’s easy to ink opponents, then it works in Inkling’s favor and vis versa.

Oh, and I guess painting the floor has no downsides at all.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I think the consensus is that Inkling does slightly lower base damage in return for having the ink mechanic. So if it’s easy to ink opponents, then it works in Inkling’s favor and vis versa.

Oh, and I guess painting the floor has no downsides at all.
Right now the Splat Roller is the only way to ink the floor, right? Do you suppose this will change with the full game?

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Right now the Splat Roller is the only way to ink the floor, right? Do you suppose this will change with the full game?
I mean, the splattershot covered ground in the trailer, so it’s possible that it will in the full build too. It’s definitely their worst special right now, so it’d be a welcome buff.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Yeah having the Splattershot and Splat Bomb's cover ground would definitely be a plus.

What does everyone think about the Octolings? I feel like they could be in the base game, and would have make sense as echos despite being recently more popular. However, I feel like we're running low on time to show them off, and I also have a gut feeling like we won't be seeing them. The Octo Expansion was released this year after all.

I don't know how likely echoes are as DLC which is where I would most likely see them showing up now. So perhaps they could end up being like Isabelle? Somewhat of a semi clone (semi echo)?Splatoon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises at the moment, so it could definitely be plausible for Octoling DLC in Smash.

Plus, this would allow Octolings to represent Splatoon 2 and possibly give them weapon categories that the Inklings are currently missing. Chargers, Splatlings and Dualies could be worked into their kit, perhaps even switching their Splat Bombs to one of the other subs, the Splat roller to a Dynamo, etc.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I dont agree with splat bomb to cover ground, since its already great projectile as it is!

however, I do want splattershot to be able to cover ground, as right now its only used as to block approachers but thats not really the safest and best option

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I dont agree with splat bomb to cover ground, since its already great projectile as it is!

however, I do want splattershot to be able to cover ground, as right now its only used as to block approachers but thats not really the safest and best option
I’ve seen a few people use splattershot at angle to hit people who camp platforms. Sort of like a diagonal version of fox’s lasers.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I’ve seen a few people use splattershot at angle to hit people who camp platforms. Sort of like a diagonal version of fox’s lasers.
the hitbox that actually stuns the opponent is at the halfmark of the whole range, so if you are using at the maximum distance, they will not be flinched.
its good you can angle it but still more situational

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the best with this, but what archetype does Inkling seem to be at the moment? Like zones, all-rounder, rushdown, etc?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not the best with this, but what archetype does Inkling seem to be at the moment? Like zones, all-rounder, rushdown, etc?
Hit-and-run strikers that try to keep as much of the stage and their opponent covered in ink as long as possible so that their strikes count. They're very fast on the ground and that's where most of their inking moves lie. Conversely their aerials are nothing special, which is why stage control is important for them.

Maybe the best way to describe them would as a lighter, faster Snake.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the best way to describe them would as a lighter, faster Snake.
I was thinking this, but Snake has more stuff to do with his projectiles and traps, right? Plus he has some very decent aerials, though that could be attributed to a taller build compared to the Inklings. Is Snake also considered a hit-and-run striker?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was thinking this, but Snake has more stuff to do with his projectiles and traps, right? Plus he has some very decent aerials, though that could be attributed to a taller build compared to the Inklings. Is Snake also considered a hit-and-run striker?
Snake is much too slow to pull that off (except in Brawl with mortarsliding), and while his aerials are strong and damaging his poor air mobility hinders his ability to use them (which also contributes to a poor disadvantage). He's basically a superheavy, with the patient, hard-punish style attributed to them, but with strong stage control tools in exchange for reach and disjoint on his melee attacks and less reliable finishers.

So while Snake patiently baits his opponents to approach him and make mistakes he can capitalize on, Inklings continually harass them with their bombs, splattershot and speed to force them to make some.

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I think it’s waaaayyyy too early to know how Inkling plays. Right now, everyone sucks at ultimate and they’re getting hit by anything. Once the meta settles we’ll see what moves are actually good and define how Inkling plays. Although I agree Inkling appears somewhere between a stage control and hit-and-run type character.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
In a lot of Inkling footage I see, I kinda feel people arn't using the Splat Bombs enough, those seem like a very valuable tool.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
In a lot of Inkling footage I see, I kinda feel people arn't using the Splat Bombs enough, those seem like a very valuable tool.
To be fair, we don’t see a lot of footage of Inkling players refilling their tanks either. I'm going to assume that it's all just heat of the moment and the new-ness.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, they do use a lot of ink. Apparently about a third of your tank, so they can't be used too liberally or you'll be running dry often.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well, they do use a lot of ink. Apparently about a third of your tank, so they can't be used too liberally or you'll be running dry often.
One third is way more than it actually is!
I pulled up the official art of the Inkling boy for Smush, since you can see the sub weapon cost indicator on his ink tank:

There's definitly quite a lot of Splat Bombs to go around with how low the cost is.

Oh well, it's all speculation, but once people figure out high-level Inkling play it'll probably be quite a marvel to watch.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Here's something I haven't seen brought up before.

When Inkling grabs a metal box, you can more clearly see their form as they liquefy (recharge their ink). It's a better visualization of how low they are while dashing.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Here's something I haven't seen brought up before.

When Inkling grabs a metal box, you can more clearly see their form as they liquefy (recharge their ink). It's a better visualization of how low they are while dashing.
That’s pretty cool. I saw a post on Reddit the other day that said inkling was the only character that could dash dance through sheilds since they’re able to just slip under them. They didn’t have proof, but it makes sense.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
when I played Inkling at the demo, I am pretty sure I was able to do between 4-5 inkbombs before I needed to recharge.
thats a really good number. if you throw 2 and the second one connects, you can simply just recharge while they are still in hitstun and far away from you.

IsmaR IsmaR "You might have the lowest standing pose,
you might have the lowest duck,
you even might have the lowest crawl.
but you havent seen what I have!
Lowest dash~"

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Their full dash will probably be erratic right? Since eventually they do pop up out of their swim to do a little jump like if there were jumping through puddles of ink.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Their full dash will probably be erratic right? Since eventually they do pop up out of their swim to do a little jump like if there were jumping through puddles of ink.
yeah, they are jumping up and down while running

but due how easy it is to dash-dance in this game and since the dash starts them to nosedive, you should be able to dash under alot of things

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
yeah, they are jumping up and down while running

but due how easy it is to dash-dance in this game and since the dash starts them to nosedive, you should be able to dash under alot of things
This actually does have me excited. This might end up being a big strength for Inklings. Not many characters can get that much of a low profile to begin with. So to be able to do so from a dash, and combine that with being able to do any attack out of a dash, it could be a nice little way to dodge and retaliate.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is freaking out over these leaks and I’m just here excited to play Inklings.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Do we have a Inkling Discord Server?

I dont have any character Discord Servers, but Inkling is one of the characters I wanna join
There used to be one, but I think it died. That’s one of the problems with a 70 character game. The player base gets spread too thin.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
There used to be one, but I think it died. That’s one of the problems with a 70 character game. The player base gets spread too thin.
Well the game is also not out yet so...not much to talk about...

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
That’s probably it too, but the Pikachu board went almost two months without a post even though he is debatably the best character in the demo. I feel like that wouldn’t happen if the fan base wasn’t so spread out.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
In my experience on these boards and the discords the people actually contributing to the publicly available lab information are usually 3-5 people in any given community while lots of other people simply lurk or very occasionally offer a tidbit of info that may have been missed by the core.

There's a tonne of people out there, most however prefer to lurk and absorb information as opposed to participating. There is also probably a certain element of anxiety involved in potentially being wrong about something and getting "called out". It sounds silly, but that heavily affects people's willingness to say something these days. Especially on the discords where many have had an experience with a toxic individual or three who no-life them and generally make the place unpleasant for anyone not active for hours every day.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
In my experience on these boards and the discords the people actually contributing to the publicly available lab information are usually 3-5 people in any given community while lots of other people simply lurk or very occasionally offer a tidbit of info that may have been missed by the core.

There's a tonne of people out there, most however prefer to lurk and absorb information as opposed to participating. There is also probably a certain element of anxiety involved in potentially being wrong about something and getting "called out". It sounds silly, but that heavily affects people's willingness to say something these days. Especially on the discords where many have had an experience with a toxic individual or three who no-life them and generally make the place unpleasant for anyone not active for hours every day.
THIS SO MUCH!!!

I remember when smash 4 just came out I found an Advanced Tech that only Lucina could do. I was so happy that I found something that actually separated Marth and Lucina that I immediately posted it in the Lucina General Discussion on my old account. Unfortunately, 15-year-old me was not very good with words, so they all thought I was talking about the newly discovered Perfect Pivot. I got so embarrassed that I eventually gave up trying to explain and left. Now Smash 4 is at the end of it's life and, as far as I can tell, nobody has found it. (Or maybe they have. It's not super useful and probably wouldn't be talked about much.)

Moral of the story: If you find something interesting, don't be afraid to speak up! It's entirely possible that no one will ever find what you found!

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Do we have a Inkling Discord Server?

I dont have any character Discord Servers, but Inkling is one of the characters I wanna join
https://discord.gg/wWpv6RY

It's not super active but there is activity there.

I super agree. Since brawl I have made myself a part of the SmashBoards lab group for several characters. This time around I plan on working hard on the ink characters (Link, Tink, Yink, and Inkling). I really want to see what sets each Link apart and Inkling just has such a fun and versatile. If you want a good resource for Inkling lab stuff just stick around. I'll make sure that there's a strong reference base for it in this board one way or another. It's just kind of my thing. Check out the Smash4 Pacman board if you want to see what I can help us make here. I don't have time to do all the work but I can create a great place to gather the resources for just about any level of interest in the game.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
My problem is that I can get rather busy in life so I feel like I can’t be to helpful since I can’t be a forerunner. But I enjoy the Smash community and will be putting a lot of time into figuring out the Inklings, probably more so than anyone I tried to pick up in Smash 4. So I'll be willing to contribute in anyway I can.

I admittedly am shy even in an internet setting, so it's tough for me to feel like I can add something that contributes to a conversation. This general has seen more activity from me than probably anywhere else on Smashboards.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been hesitant to do much/set up the boards properly (assuming we'll get much more interest once people can actually play it) as I'm usually much more a hands-on person that likes to wait until we all have the character/game itself in our hands (of course, still appreciate all the work those that run the stickied info threads). Can understand how rough the wait is/how the divisiveness can seem overwhelming (a majority of the community being a mix of Discord/social media and very few using forums, not to mention things like being new to this game vs being a vet coming in). But ever don't let it keep you from trying to be a part of it.

Will definitely push things/maybe join the Discord once things settle down (everywhere is chaotic on the site with the Direct/speculation, as you can imagine)

On a side note, I'd say no one should feel discouraged even if they aren't planning on being super-competitive. Part of being in a community revolves around meeting and talking with all kinds of peeps. Even if you're only here to play wi-fi, post screenshots, or just point out how funny it is painting Ganondorf pink is.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Did inkling always had a crawl?
seriously, the crawl was the first time I ever noticed they had one in the latest direct (during Fatal Frame assist trophy)

I even played her alot during the demo, like how did I miss that?

Top Bottom