• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't care for story modes in multiplayer games. Even the Octo Expansion was quite meh aside from the 'final boss'. There are different ways to expand the story of an universe, and for a game like Smash, I feel like it would be better if they explored alternatives rather than putting so much resources and time in some Subspace 2 or whatever. Just my two cents.

I'd rather they focus on multiplayer stuff, like maybe have a ranked mode this time around? Better online features since it will be paid?

That said, I'd rather have a story mode as DLC, rather than even more newcomers. The roster is big enough.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't care for story modes in multiplayer games. Even the Octo Expansion was quite meh aside from the 'final boss'. There are different ways to expand the story of an universe, and for a game like Smash, I feel like it would be better if they explored alternatives rather than putting so much resources and time in some Subspace 2 or whatever. Just my two cents.

I'd rather they focus on multiplayer stuff, like maybe have a ranked mode this time around? Better online features since it will be paid?

That said, I'd rather have a story mode as DLC, rather than even more newcomers. The roster is big enough.
As long as people have characters they want that aren't currently part of the roster, however massive it may be, there will be demand for characters as DLC.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Here’s a question for anyone who bought Octo Expansion: would you rather Smash U come with a mediocre story mode like the Splatoon singleplayer or have DLC story mode that is simmilar in quality to Octo Expansion?

Personally I’d go with the free one, even if it has kinda meh gameplay. $60 base game + $20 online + $20 DLC just seems too expensive for me.
Pretty sure a DLC story mode is the only kind of story mode we'd get. The "Spirits" Mode that everyone's thinking is SSE 2 is probably just a souped up All-Star/Adventure Mode, not a full-blown story mode. The game's being developed in less than three years, and SSE in Brawl alone was like working on an entirely separate game, which is part of why Sakurai was so physically exhausted by that game's development, and the more practical reason as to why Smash 4 didn't have one. It's also why Smash 4's development went so smoothly compared to Brawl's, and since Ultimate's development is going even more smoothly and Sakurai is working less hours, then that's all the more reason to believe that we're not getting anything on par with SSE.

Besides, if there's character DLC, then they'd be excluded from any story mode in the base game. It's part of why I was glad that there wasn't a story mode shipped with Smash 4, because then Ryu, Mewtwo, Lucas, Bayonetta, Cloud, etc. wouldn't be in it. So if Spirits is some kind of story mode, then if we get DLC for, say, Banjo Kazooie, he's not going to be in the story mode.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If :4mario: has FLUDD* wouldn't that make him a natural predator of Inklings? SM Sunshine was all about killing paint-based creatures.
*did I spell that right?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If :4mario: has FLUDD* wouldn't that make him a natural predator of Inklings? SM Sunshine was all about killing paint-based creatures.
*did I spell that right?
I think it's not that water is inherently lethal to Inklings, they're just incapable of swimming in it. Presumably they can't shift into their ink-based squid form in water, and they have no experience whatsoever swimming in human form, so they panic and drown (or activate their emergency self-poof that sends them back to a spawn point, same with falling into a bottomless pit). Of course they can swim in Smash, but so can Sonic and he is absolutely known to be unable to swim. In Mario Kart they can drive underwater no problem.

Water might damage them with direct application, but not anymore than getting hit with opposing ink. In smash they're just gonna be pushed by FLUDD and Squirtle, nothing else.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
They can actually also swim in Smash similar to how Sonic can do so when he typically cannot in his games.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I remembered hearing someone say that both Inkling and Charizard take damage when they're submerged in water.

Thought it might have been the usual "I heard someone saw Chunky Kong as an assist trophy" type secondhand rumor.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I remembered hearing someone say that both Inkling and Charizard take damage when they're submerged in water.

Thought it might have been the usual "I heard someone saw Chunky Kong as an assist trophy" type secondhand rumor.
That would be a nice touch without hurting their viability. Water is so rare in competitive smash; the only instance I can think of is Delfino plaza in Brawl, before it was banned.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
That would be a nice touch without hurting their viability. Water is so rare in competitive smash; the only instance I can think of is Delfino plaza in Brawl, before it was banned.
I personally wouldn’t like this because I wouldn’t want my main to have one weakness that no one else would have. That being said, Jigglypuff still instantly dies if you break its shield so...eh, I could see it being thrown it without too much of an issue.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
What stages even have water anyway? The only ones I can think of are great bay, Delfino Plaza, Tortimer Island and that DK stage on 3ds. Those don’t seem like they’ll be legal.

Either way I’m fine with the extra damage. It’s a neat reference and doesn’t really harm the character (lookin at you Jigglypuff).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Stages with water would include:

Delfino
Termina Bay (as of yet to be confirmed if it works like Melee water)
Jungle Japes
Summit
Pirate Ship
Tortimer Island
Wuhu Island

Peach's Castle (Melee) has water but is confirmed it works the same as Melee, with the water being too close to the blast zone to allow you to swim.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
While a neat detail that Inklings take damage in water (certainly better than the alternative of them just disintegrating instantly), this is hardly gonna be an issue. Between this almost only coming up in casual play and the fact that even then you hardly spend any time in the water at all, it's a non-issue.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Inklings will be fun for everyone (competitive and casuals will all worship the Inkling Girls...and boys as well I suppose)

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
So does anyone have a guess as to who in Smash 4 the Inklings will play similarly to? Looking to dust off my skills and start prepping for the new game. I know there will be differences, but I would like to try and get a head start if I can on anything that could help me be better.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've heard an odd mix of Squirtle/Diddy Kong in terms of speed/weight/normals, and Snake for specials/grabs/zoning from friends that played the demo.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I've heard an odd mix of Squirtle/Diddy Kong in terms of speed/weight/normals, and Snake for specials/grabs/zoning from friends that played the demo.
Yikes that means I would need to return to Brawl for some of those. I was actually thinking Diddy based off of some of their aerials though. Never really tried him before but may give it a shot.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You're probably better off practicing with 4 in general since Brawl's engine will feel/be even more outdated by now.

One other suggestion I've seen that frequently gets overlooked is tiny Mii Brawler/Gunner. Funny considering the outfits and all.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
You're probably better off practicing with 4 in general since Brawl's engine will feel/be even more outdated by now.

One other suggestion I've seen that frequently gets overlooked is tiny Mii Brawler/Gunner. Funny considering the outfits and all.
I’ll look at that too. Mii Gunner seems a bit more zoner than Inkling though.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367

Hi all! Just dropping in to shamelessly plug my Inkling video thread. I just added about 20 more videos from August. Also, if you don't already know... Best Buy is going to have demos in select stores starting next week. Check out the news section of my video thread for more info.

As far as the recent gameplay footage goes, I highly recommend checking out anything by Xzax or Dragon. Both are doing a great job with Inkling and have a lot of great content to be viewed by anyone looking for more quality footage.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Wish the upcoming demo was in a place closer to me. It'd be a really treat to get some early hands on access. Waiting til December to play as the Inklings in Smash is going to be tough.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
At the very least, we might get more info on an upcoming Splatoon 2 update (assuming they delayed the monthly weapons/Salmon Run gear) tomorrow.

pls more Octoling hairstyles

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Wish the upcoming demo was in a place closer to me. It'd be a really treat to get some early hands on access. Waiting til December to play as the Inklings in Smash is going to be tough.
Don’t worry. There will probably be a demo released mid November with Inkling, Ridley, and three other Nintendo staples. Just like with smash 4.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Don’t worry. There will probably be a demo released mid November with Inkling, Ridley, and three other Nintendo staples. Just like with smash 4.
I was actually worried they would do a demo this time. Unless they have everything announced about the game by then. Due to potential data mining and such.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Sooo

46DA6CC8-65AB-47BB-ABD4-B85B20C25216.png

23 songs. What do you think is going to get in?

1-10 The multiplayer songs plus the Splattack remix

11-12. Now or Never variants

12-17 Singleplayer tracks

18. Calamari Inkantation

19. City of Color

20. Ink Me Up

21. Bomb Rush Blush

22. Tide Goes Out

23. Either a remix or I miscounted the single player songs

Some of them would need a remix to be actual battle themes, but this would basically be every song in Splatoon (except the menu themes.)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sooo

View attachment 163219

23 songs. What do you think is going to get in?

1-10 The multiplayer songs plus the Splattack remix

11-12. Now or Never variants

12-17 Singleplayer tracks

18. Calamari Inkantation

19. City of Color

20. Ink Me Up

21. Bomb Rush Blush

22. Tide Goes Out

23. Either a remix or I miscounted the single player songs

Some of them would need a remix to be actual battle themes, but this would basically be every song in Splatoon (except the menu themes.)
1-8: Multiplayer Tracks (1)
9-15: Splat. 1 Solo Tracks
16-20: Splat 2 Multiplayer
20-22: Splat 2 Solo
23: Octo Expansion theme

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I know it's way too new, but I absolutely adore the new song revealed yesterday during the direct and wish it could make it in Smash. Don't see that happening unless Octolings end up as DLC.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That's the same way I feel about a ton of Octo Expansion songs.

This update added a new Salmon Run song that only plays in certain conditions, and apparently 4 new songs will be added (3 along with the trailer one) in the early October update.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I feel like the inklings are highly underrated in this forum/in general, the page count speaks for itself. Which is a shame because Splatoon is a phenomenal franchise that's on par witht he likes of animal crossing in terms of popularity. How good do you guys think they will be? imo they're easily high tier but I'm maining them either way.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel like the inklings are highly underrated in this forum/in general, the page count speaks for itself. Which is a shame because Splatoon is a phenomenal franchise that's on par witht he likes of animal crossing in terms of popularity. How good do you guys think they will be? imo they're easily high tier but I'm maining them either way.
Maybe there's just not a lot of overlap between Splatoon and Smash players?

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Funnily enough the same people who (own?) Smashboards did Squidboards. But it's more that the smash community as a whole plays very few IPs, something I've noticed for a while now. That explains why most bandwagon popular characters that don't really mean much to Nintendo.

Last edited:

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
The thing is people that play Splatoon 2 competitively (like me) don't really have too much to say on another game because they're too focused on more Splatoon relevant things like the update in September.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I think Inklings will be good. Nothing seems broken from what I've seen so I don't think they'll be top tier. The one thing that seems pretty great with them is their mobility.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like the inklings are highly underrated in this forum/in general, the page count speaks for itself. Which is a shame because Splatoon is a phenomenal franchise that's on par witht he likes of animal crossing in terms of popularity.
It's a combination of things that make for a rather unfortunate situation, I feel.

1. Forums aren't as lively as they used to be outside of general pre-release speculation/competitive discussion sections. A lot of discussion/hype/etc. is split between social media/Discord. It's tough specifically because the game isn't out yet/most of us haven't done more than watch gameplay videos.
2. As far as speculation is concerned, Inklings were the first reveal, and are seen as "safe/boring" by those that don't really care for Splatoon. Obviously their gameplay is very interesting, but some people are here for speculation alone, and want exciting things we didn't guess ("we knew they'd have ink mechanics like their games").
3. I can only speak for myself/what I've seen as I'm a moderator of both Smash and Squidboards, but even though most people that play Splatoon seem excited for Inklings, it's a bit different discussing Smash than it is playing it. Over the past 3 years I've definitely played more Splatoon than Smash, yet I spend much less time discussing the former as a result. Smash has much more variables/elements outside of gameplay that comes with being a dream-match-up crossover, while Splatoon is a completely different genre. (even if Inklings share some traits from their original games, fighting is much different than playing a shooter).

Funnily enough the same people who (own?) Smashboards did Squidboards. But it's more that the smash community as a whole plays very few IPs, something I've noticed for a while now. That explains why most bandwagon popular characters that don't really mean much to Nintendo.
This could also be a fair point. I watch mostly streams that have multiple events (even Nintendo-specific ones that have similar things like Arms/Pokken/Mario Tennis), and there's far more people on average that are there just to watch one specific thing, that tending to be Smash Bros.

All in all, I think things will pick up once we're closer to release, especially if we get a public demo that isn't just a few locations. Inklings are definitely looking solid and fun to play even at a casual level.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Just popping by to say here's the European packaging for the Inkling amiibo:

Inkling is #64.
(Bayonetta Player 2 is #62, Wolf is #63)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Just popping by to say here's the European packaging for the Inkling amiibo:

Inkling is #64.
(Bayonetta Player 2 is #62, Wolf is #63)
The pose is a little bit different from the render.
This makes me hope that they alter poses for figures, so we don't need to deal with ugly transparent plastic.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Wait I thought Bayonetta was the 63rd fighter. Is there a fighter without an amiibo?
Player 2 variants had a different number from their regular counterparts.

R.O.B. was #46, but his Famicom variant was #54.
Cloud was #57, Cloud Player 2 was #58.
Corrin was #59, Corrin Player 2 was #60.
Bayonetta was #61, Bayonetta Player 2 was #62.

Don't forget that the Smash amiibo line was based on characters in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU games. Any veterans not part of that game didn't have an amiibo. The amiibo numbers are not the same as the character's entry level in the series (example: Samus amiibo is #07, but she is #04 in entry level). The new amiibo are carrying on from where the numbers left off. So the newcomers, new echo fighters, and returning veterans that were missing previously will have amiibo numbers past #63, and the numbers won't match their entry levels (apart from Ridley, he's #65 amiibo AND entry level, which is funny).

#63 Wolf
#64 Inkling
#65 Ridley
#66 (Possibly) Daisy
etc

There's a good chance that there'll be amiibo for Inkling Player 2 down the line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom