• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not me. I will use the school outfit.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Has anyone been able to hear the Inkling victory theme? I assume it's this:

Reila

I was told that is a tidbit of the victory theme, which is fitting. Someone linked a video, and while the audio was not that great, it was convincing.

D

Deleted member

Looking forward to give these fashionable squid a chance. They are quite the cool and stylish characters.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So I was watching the treehouse stream and I noticed that the purple boy alt had a really dark ink color. Almost black actually. I wonder if he’ll have an advantage since his ink is more difficult to see on stages with black floors.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Well holy carp, it's been awhile. Kind of surprised to see my old theorized moveset still about. I...didn't get much of it right. Oh, well! I'm just happy to have them in the game. I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't come back sooner, but now the Smash hype is starting to boil and I don't think I can sanely wait until December without talking about the game to people. And I mainly want to talk about my most anticipated part of the game, my favorite squiddos!

D

Deleted member

While they were barely a surprise announcement I'm really happy they got in. The different costumes look so good, and my personal fave is the purple one.

Also, ink aligned with color? Thank you, Daddy Sakurai!

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Roller seems to be able to ground people when used mid-air. Considering it comes out fairly fast, if the hitboxes allow for it, this might end up being a good cross-up option.

Something I think that's going to be interesting given the ink mechanics is in what situations the Inkling player might opt for level coverage over something like an edgeguard. If you hit your opponent off-stage for instance, maybe if they're not in a good enough edgeguard situation, you might just opt to lay down an ink trail on the stage to give yourself a leg-up in the neutral. Or when the opponent gets KO'd, you spend the downtime to cover the stage in ink. Kind of like how when you play Cloud, any time not spent pushing your advantage should be spent charging your limit.

Up Smash seems to be their best kill move right now. Based on existing footage it seems like the hitbox is fairly generous (given that the first hitbox autocorrects the opponent above the Inkling). In this video when Abadango has a Super Shroom it kills Ganondorf mid-air at around 58%. Previously the multiplier for a Shroom used to be 1.56x, which might've changed, but given where the character got hit I'm going to assume it begins to kill at around 100-110%.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I just finished the Octo Expansion and I think that bumped Splatoon 2 into my favorite games of all time, so I definitly could see myself maining, or at the very least occasionally playing, the Inkling.

December can't come soon enough!

Reila

Octo Expansion had a really pleasing story, though I wasn't a fan of the levels. Not my favorite kind of difficulty.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Octo Expansion had a really pleasing story, though I wasn't a fan of the levels. Not my favorite kind of difficulty.
I'm quite fond of the difficulty, having a genuine challenge is very enticing to me! I will admit there are a number of times I cursed the game however due to this.

When it comes to story, I feel it's an excellent example of creatives not being afraid of going too far and making something incredibly memorable as a result. I won't go into details as there are surly some people who havn't finished it yet.

Reila

I'm quite fond of the difficulty, having a genuine challenge is very enticing to me! I will admit there are a number of times I cursed the game however due to this.

When it comes to story, I feel it's an excellent example of creatives not being afraid of going too far and making something incredibly memorable as a result. I won't go into details as there are surly some people who havn't finished it yet.
That is cool. Glad you enjoyed. I am not new to difficult games (finished all the famous Demon's/Dark Souls games, for example), but I didn't enjoy a bunch of the Octo levels much. That said, playing as Octolings was worth the $20. I have liked octopuses since I was a kid.

The story really went places, but it also respected the lore they built up for the Splatoonverse so far, which is all I can ask. Nothing disappoints me more than when a writer builds up the world in a way, then contradicts everything later on. I was also pleased by the development certain characters got. You know who.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I recently finished the Oct expansion as well. I enjoyed it way more than the original story in the game (and I feel like I'm one of the rare ones who liked the Splatoon 2 story.) The difficulty was great, and I never felt too penalized for failing, other than general frustration.

Well worth the $20 for everything we got. Character development, story building, items from completing lines, and a new playable species which has grown on me since playing the expansion (still haven't switched back to an Inkling).

I partially wish the Agent 3 outfit in Smash Ult had a cape now!

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I kind of hope they release another story DLC but I doubt it.
I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. Every time they talked about the Octo Expansion they kept mention first paid DLC. Maybe if we get a second we could see something else, like an expansion on the lore of the Salmonid or something?

Reila

I really wouldn't expect it. While it can happen, the Octo Expansion tied the "holes" left by the original Splatoon 2 story, such as the disappearance of Cuttlefish and a certain agent. Also, its main purpose was to bring Octolings as a playable species. Plus, the fact they are only updating the game until the end of 2018 doesn't help. I am not against it, but it seems like wishful thinking.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. Every time they talked about the Octo Expansion they kept mention first paid DLC. Maybe if we get a second we could see something else, like an expansion on the lore of the Salmonid or something?
That would be neat, I feel like they'll save the Salmonid lore for Splatoon 3 though. With most of the Octolings going to Inkopolis maybe DJ Octavio would end up using some of the Salmonids as his pawns.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Octo expansion kind of made me want a standalone single player Splatoon game. Like maybe Inkopolis is taken over by Salmonids and you play as the members of the Squidbeak Splatoon to reclaim it.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm drawing a big piece of fanart with all my favorites from the new Smash, so here's an Inkling I drew:

I figure you guys might appreciate this.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, I like your style as well. I wouldn't mind seeing the full thing when it's done.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I like your style.
Agreed, I like your style as well. I wouldn't mind seeing the full thing when it's done.
I would, but since it's gonna be a more general smash pic, I don't think I'd post it here, since I don't wanna derail the discussion about the Inkling specifically.
Maybe there's an art thread somewhere.

And, of course, thank you, that is very humbling.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I would, but since it's gonna be a more general smash pic, I don't think I'd post it here, since I don't wanna derail the discussion about the Inkling specifically.
Maybe there's an art thread somewhere.

And, of course, thank you, that is very humbling.
Just hit me up with a private message! No need to derail any further.

YO I CANNOT EXPRESS TO YALL HOW HYPE I AM TO PLAY INKLING

God this character looks so fun. Looking forward to having lots of awesome discussion with you fellow fans!!

I'm drawing a big piece of fanart with all my favorites from the new Smash, so here's an Inkling I drew:

I figure you guys might appreciate this.
Holy moly, this is fantastic!! :bee: I feel like it would be okay to post the full thing here... This seems to be more of a social thread now after all.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Just hit me up with a private message! No need to derail any further.
Holy moly, this is fantastic!! :bee: I feel like it would be okay to post the full thing here... This seems to be more of a social thread now after all.
I made a threat in the right area, but I might as well drop a link now that I'm done.

But yeah, I'm real excited to try out the Inkling, I got a feeling I'll enjoy playing as them.
My favorite is the pink one, because she has a cool hat.

Reila

Speaking of social, perhaps a mod could change the title to Inkopolis Plaza or something.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
What are everyone's thoughts on the Bomb Rush Blush remix?
I like it. It makes me hope that a remixed Tide Goes Out gets in too. I can’t say I’m a fan of the Splattack remix in the character showcase though.

Reila

I am not a fan, which is strange since it was remixed by Ohtani, a Sonic composer and I usually dig Sonic music. I am only hoping for at least one or two non-remixed tracks (not named Calamari Inkantation). If Color Pulse is in the game, I would be really happy. If there is only Splatoon 1 music, then I hope for Sucker Punch, but my expectations are low.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I am not a fan, which is strange since it was remixed by Ohtani, a Sonic composer and I usually dig Sonic music. I am only hoping for at least one or two non-remixed tracks (not named Calamari Inkantation). If Color Pulse is in the game, I would be really happy. If there is only Splatoon 1 music, then I hope for Sucker Punch, but my expectations are low.
Yeah, I hope that music can come from Splatoon 2. The only thing I think I saw from the 2nd game was Judd Jr. on Moray Towers. Off the Hook has a lot of good stuff. But if we only get Splatoon 1, I’m hoping for Shellfie.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I feel similarly, but it doesn't really surprise me. Ohtani did Sonic Forces' soundtrack and that games soundtrack just screams "Ohtani burns out".
It's such a shame, since he made this masterpiece.

Anyway, hoping there's gonna be Sploot 2 tunes, particularly Shark Bytes.

Reila

I feel similarly, but it doesn't really surprise me. Ohtani did Sonic Forces' soundtrack and that games soundtrack just screams "Ohtani burns out".
It's such a shame, since he made this masterpiece.

Anyway, hoping there's gonna be Sploot 2 tunes, particularly Shark Bytes.
Rooftop Run is so good ;-;

I didn't listen to the Sonic Forces soundtrack yet. but I should. I suppose I was too busy enjoy Tee Lopes' works for the Sonic Mania soundtrack.

We talkin about Sonic music?! I really like Crush 40's stuff considering I grew up wasting time in SA2B, but that's neither here nor there I spose. Seconding the hope for Shark Bytes and Shellfie tho :090:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I'm very excited to play the inklings in smash, they look really fun to play as.

Top Bottom