• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I think that inkling are going to focus on mobility rather than zoning. Splatoon is all about the mobility granted by ink, whereas zoning is only important for chargers.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Don't speak nonsense. Zoning is important for everything in Splatoon. It is a shooter first and foremost.

Unless you are playing rollers or brushes, you are zoning out your opponent, keeping them in your ideal range. Not to mention, every other weapon has bombs or some other sub weapon with the purpose of zoning. Inklings are not going to be mobility-based like Sonic or Falcon. Even the mobility of the game serves the purpose of closing distance or keeping distance. Zoning.

Makes me wonder if you actually played the game.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I can imagine them being a mix of zoning and mobility; they’d want to set up their stage control ink so that they can more easily be able to dance around the opponent and keep them in optimal spacing that way. If we assume that they do have limited ink, then they would need the space to be able to flee from the opponent as to refill their ink, since camping won’t work for too long if you run out of ink and you don’t have enough stage control ink set up to be able to quickly adjust your position.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Don't speak nonsense. Zoning is important for everything in Splatoon. It is a shooter first and foremost.

Unless you are playing rollers or brushes, you are zoning out your opponent, keeping them in your ideal range. Not to mention, every other weapon has bombs or some other sub weapon with the purpose of zoning. Inklings are not going to be mobility-based like Sonic or Falcon. Even the mobility of the game serves the purpose of closing distance or keeping distance. Zoning.

Makes me wonder if you actually played the game.
Yeah, you’re right. I meant that using a long range weapon for short range combat isn’t always a death sentence, but I guess saying that zoning wasn’t important was a dumb way to phrase that.

Still, zoning is important in all shooters, but the options ink provides is what defines Splatoon. That’s the point I want to get across. I get that they won’t have the same speed as sonic or C Falcon (although swim speed should at least comes close). I just hope that Inklings have more mobility than traditional zoners.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We're finally gonna see gameplay of the Inklings tomorrow!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A little bit over twelve hours until Nintendo's E3 starts. I'll be interested to see what weapons and costumes they use for the Inklings. Hard to believe it's almost here!

Reila

Hoping for a cool moveset and at least one or two dark skinned alts. Expecting for nothing of that since it is Nintendo.

Seems like their stage is Moray Towers? They showed it too fast for me to make sure. Edit: Yes, it is. They just confirmed.

The moveset looks fun, though.

Roller - Down special
Splattershot - Neutral
Splat Bomb - Side
Super Jump - Up

?

I saw the Inkbrush and Bucket among the smash attacks, which is cool. Also, Killer Wail, how I miss that special in Splatoon 2.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So only the roller and splattershot put ink on the ground. I guess ink won’t be that important to their play style after all.

Reila

So only the roller and splattershot put ink on the ground. I guess ink won’t be that important to their play style after all.
But they do have an ink mechanic. If I recall correctly, you have to press shield and down (or whatever) to get into the ink to refill. If, perhaps, they can't use specials without refilling, then they would be quite the high skill cap character.

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So they just did a moveset demonstration on stream. Here’s what they said:

Swimming through ink is a dash. There doesn’t need to be ink already on the ground.

Specials cannot be used with an empty tank and normals will be weaker

You don’t need to be standing on ink to refill your tank

Roller buries then launches opponents

Splat bomb can be angled based on how long you hold the button (longer = farther)

Standing in ink slows down enemy’s

WOOMY IS BACK!!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Super curious about this character. Like the potential looks amazing. Like how they said Ink covered enemies take extra damage. I felt like Mango playing as him/her did no justice to my curiosity because he wasn't really covering Leo with ink often. I wanna know how much of a difference it makes in terms of damage done.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Being able to lay down tracks that slows down opponents looks extremely nasty. I didn't expect the squids to be so mobile and athletic given their source material. I figured they'd go the Mega Man route of making every single attack a different weapon but they look more elastic than Mario.

Their Smash attacks don't look that great but I think that's going to be down to having to utilize their ink properly. I'm extremely excited about 'em after having seen them in action.

Also this sounds all sorts of wicked.

D

Deleted member

Being able to lay down tracks that slows down opponents looks extremely nasty. I didn't expect the squids to be so mobile and athletic given their source material. I figured they'd go the Mega Man route of making every single attack a different weapon but they look more elastic than Mario.

Their Smash attacks don't look that great but I think that's going to be down to having to utilize their ink properly. I'm extremely excited about 'em after having seen them in action.

Also this sounds all sorts of wicked.

Wow. The utility of the ink sounds insane. Can't wait for this character to hit the lab so we can see the maximum potential. She seems CRAZY good tho if that tweet is true. Amazing.

Reila

I think Inklings might be really strong if played well, but I am not a pro. The extra damage mechanic can prove to be quite significant.

Yeah, I also didn't expect Inklings to be a rush down kind of fighter. Doesn't make sense given the source material, but they look fun, so I have no complains.

Truth224

Smash Rookie
Inkling has some pretty powerful stuff. Ink increasing damage and slowing down enemies in particular is probably gonna be something of great note.

But, the resource management on this character seems like it is gonna be a huge hurdle to tackle. All their special attacks besides up special seems to consume ink and the only means to regenerating ink seems to be shield B.

I'm not 100% how I feel about that. They seem very open during that, and being their only way to restoring ammunition for all their powerful attacks, this may be one huge achilles heel.

I'll be honestly, I kind of feel as if their inktank should also have a slow passive regeneration like it actually does in Splatoon. You can shield B for quick restoration, but you can also just avoid using Specials for a prolonged period and slowly regain ammo.

Last edited:

Reila

I think Inklings having damage ink increase when inking opponents makes them require some sort of drawback to balance it, so the ink refilling mechanic is welcomed by me. Though I don't want Inklings to be garbage, I would rather them not be extremely good either.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So I did some math and it seems fully inked opponents take about x1.2 damage (but someone check me). That’s about the multiplier on wii fits deep breathing for reference.

Also, if knockback is calculated the same way as before, then inked opponents will get knocked back farther since damage is applied before knockback calculation.

Combine that with their speed and the fact the ink only takes 2-3 seconds to recharge and Inklings are looking like early high-tiers. December can’t come fast enough.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Inklings aerials all seem pretty good, I guess that's why Mango was throwing them out a lot to conserve ink.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
It is really sad that Callie and Marie aren't skins but I figured that would be the case. I'm more disappointed that Splatoon 2 Pink Inkling Girl and Green Inkling Boy aren't skins. I figured they'd have to be as they are on the box art for Splatoon 2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
looks like theyll be really fun to play as, moray towers was not my first pick for a splatoon stage but it still looks good, also liking that remix of splattack

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone heard Inkling's victory theme? If so, please link it for all to hear. I've been trying to find it, but every video I've seen of Inkling winning, the background noises are too loud to hear the game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Though I think it's a wonderful way to celebrate the series' legacy, I'm kinda sad that you only start with the original eight and have to unlock over 90% of the roster. Especially the Inklings; I wanted to try them out first.

Reila

Has anyone heard Inkling's victory theme? If so, please link it for all to hear. I've been trying to find it, but every video I've seen of Inkling winning, the background noises are too loud to hear the game.
I haven't, but my bets are either on a tidbit of Splattack or the victory theme from Splatoon/2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i love how there dash is actually them turning into their squid form and swimming through their ink just a really nice touch

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am popping in because I had a thought: What if when Inkling gets KOed, ink splatters from the side of the screen where they were knocked out, similar to Mega Man with his classic death animation when he gets KOed in Smash? And like how coins fly out from the side when a fighter gets KOed in coin battle? If some of the ink were to splatter on some opponents, that could give the Inkling a start for more damage when they come back on the screen.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
There better be a way to remove the ink from the stage after being placed. Slowing down opponents and dealing extra damage sounds like too much of bonus for something you'll probably be able to set up rather quickly. Either the ink should disappear after a set amount of time or something else. Perhaps Mario and Squitle can use F.L.U.D.D. and Water Gun to wash the ink off stage but then what would the other fighter do?

Reila

There better be a way to remove the ink from the stage after being placed. Slowing down opponents and dealing extra damage sounds like too much of bonus for something you'll probably be able to set up rather quickly. Either the ink should disappear after a set amount of time or something else. Perhaps Mario and Squitle can use F.L.U.D.D. and Water Gun to wash the ink off stage but then what would the other fighter do?
Maybe there is a timer. And it is not like they don't have a weakness (the ink tank consumption).

If they are too strong thanks to extra damage on inked opponents and the slowing ink, we can only hope they nerf them quickly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe there is a timer. And it is not like they don't have a weakness (the ink tank consumption).

If they are too strong thanks to extra damage on inked opponents and the slowing ink, we can only hope they nerf them quickly.
from what ive seen on treehouse there defiantly is a timer

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
While we’re on the subject of ink

Notice how the inkling speeds up once she gets on her ink? Looks like we have proof that ink gives you a speed boost while also slowing down opponents. Too bad you can only spread it with the roller, those types of attacks are never good.

Reila

I was under the impression you could spread it with the Splattershot, too. Maybe I saw it wrong when they explained Inkling's moveset.

D

Deleted member

Inklings look cool might try and use them. Love their up close but long ranged. Got to use their ink affectively style.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I believe inklings look like they're swimming in their run animation, but can anyone tell me if they can swim while they recharge ink?

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I believe inklings look like they're swimming in their run animation, but can anyone tell me if they can swim while they recharge ink?
The ink gauge doesn’t appear when they swim, so I’m going to say it doesn’t fill up their tank.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Though I assume some of you squid kids will probably have seen it before, I've just recently discovered this because I've been listening to Calamari Inkantation in hype and anticipation of Smash's Inkling.

It's a little corny, but it fits with the cultural influence of the J-Popesque Squid Sisters and for the final battle of the original Splatoon (still a personal favorite boss fight of mine.)

Top Bottom