• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Inkling really looks to be a high tier character with their fast movement options, really good recoveries, and combo potential. I’ve been seeing that a lot, and I’m really thinking of Manning the,

StormC

Smash Hero
I haven't played Splatoon but I am really liking Inkling in this game. The ink mechanic is cool because of how it forces you to be strategic instead of just spamming attacks constantly, and they have the best running animation in the whole game. They've brought a great new flavor to Smash and I am thankful.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I am really enjoying them a lot. Have had a good amount of time with them, and I still need to lab a lot, but they seem pretty strong! I am assuming something of theirs will be nerfed, because it seems like they are receiving a lot of flak. Probably their bury from side b lasts a little too long.

Overall I’m having a ton of fun!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I Enjoy them but they seem a tad harder than i thought...(their standard attacks seem a bit easy to whiff when trying to land hits in the air at least when I'm using them)and i can't help but use the splat roller more than i should because the splattershot barely does much for me when it comes into play

the splat bomb is eh...since i usually get put on a stage with platforms

Sudai

Stuff here
Just droping by to ssy hey to everyone. I'm probably gonna be around the forum a lot. Was big into competetive melee before brawl came out. Inkling and the new engine got me excited to play competetively again.

Looking forward to painting opponents with you guys.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
stages with platforms on them will be the bane of inklings existence(messes up the splat bomb's landing)as it makes it easier for opponents to avoid the ink shots

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They are fun but also very tricky, just like I expected.

D

Deleted member

I love them so much oh my gosh. They're very technical and have a high skill ceiling, but that's what I love about them, lol. KOs are insanely hype thanks to how much you have set-up for it and how much you have to work for it sometimes. I'm super excited to see what pros do with them.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Me too. Even though I use inkling the most, I do better with other characters. I hope that Inklings being hard to play is because of their skill floor and not because they’re bad.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Me too. Even though I use inkling the most, I do better with other characters. I hope that Inklings being hard to play is because of their skill floor and not because they’re bad.
It's high skill ceiling, Wish7s on twitter already won a couple tourneys with them.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I don't have the game yet, but I guess I'll be around here. Loved what I played of Inkling during the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience, I think the skully boy will be my secondary behind WFT. Don't know a lot yet, but I'm excited to figure it all out!

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
Inkling should definitely be top tier. However, it doesn't have too high of a skill ceiling for me and I learned them quickly...

Who wants to see me make an Inkling guide?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
What's the easiest way to cancel Inkling's roller? Do you just press B again or jump out of it?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm probably just really bad but Inkling feels like the hardest character to hit enemies with, even at close range i'm whiffing most of my attacks.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'm probably just really bad but Inkling feels like the hardest character to hit enemies with, even at close range i'm whiffing most of my attacks.
yeah after inking them up i can't even hit any of their normal smash attacks...feels like i have tiny limbs with no range that can't hit anything

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Back to Smashboards for Ultimate. Booyah.

Inkling is super intriguing and I like Splatoon a lot so naturally decided I wanted to main them. I only really have time to play online, so laggy connections are frustrating.

I'm pretty much never using Smash attacks unless I hit them with the roller. I'm using aerials and tilts more than anything.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
yeah i can only online because shocker...(not really)there isn't a scene where i live and i imagine most people here have never heard of smash brothers

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
To hit with moves like neutral air it helps to fall onto the enemy when using it.

AdventCross

Smash Rookie
yeah after inking them up i can't even hit any of their normal smash attacks...feels like i have tiny limbs with no range that can't hit anything
I definitely feel you on that. What normally works for me is utilizing their ambiguous dash animation along with empty short hops in between to fish for an opening, or using their splat bomb to establish situations in which they would be forced to defend from that leaving them susceptible to other follow-ups. Then again, I still need to gain more experience with S.U.

I've also seen someone mention that platforms would be cumbersome to deal with. I have mix feelings about that, while yes Splat Bomb's utility changes because of platforms, I find that their aerial mobility makes up for it greatly.

As for my introduction, I'm Cross, a former Ike main from the Brawl era (took a long hiatus), I'm looking forward to playing along side you all.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
to be fair though it is hard to hit their smash attacks once you got someone inked up

feels like they got short limbs that can't hit anything
Smash attacks don’t matter that much if you have another way to kill. Inklings can kill with buries, bthrow or Uthrow > Uair. Range isn’t a huge problem either. It’s not great, but it’s standard for a rush down character.

I think the reason they didn’t show up that much is a combination of them being new, unpopular, and rather technical.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Smash attacks don’t matter that much if you have another way to kill. Inklings can kill with buries, bthrow or Uthrow > Uair. Range isn’t a huge problem either. It’s not great, but it’s standard for a rush down character.

I think the reason they didn’t show up that much is a combination of them being new, unpopular, and rather technical.
unpopular? how could the inkling be unpopular when the game they come from is probably Nintendo's hottest New IP In Years and splatoon 2 was one of the hottest switch games

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
unpopular? how could the inkling be unpopular when the game they come from is probably Nintendo's hottest New IP In Years and splatoon 2 was one of the hottest switch games
True, but I meant among competitive smash. They’re realitivly new, hard to play, and the least hype character (aside from echoes), so I feel that right now not a lot of people are playing them.

Obviously that’s probably going to change with zer0 putting them as the best character in the game.

D

Deleted member

Anyone have tips for edge guarding with Splat Bombs effectively? I can't quite figure it out...

Also, I'm struggling to land D-Throw into Nair. Was trying to do it against Bowser in Training Mode last night but it kept whiffing for some reason.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've gotten all of the spirits in Smash Bros. While I still have some challenges left, I don't know how likely is that I'll be able to complete them. (completing Classic mode on 9.9, for example, or anything relating to online) I'm going to take a break from Smash and focus on Splatoon 2.

I've only got one level left before the final boss fight (unless there's a plot twist and the game has a sixth area), and then I'll get the Octoling DLC. (given that Nintendo treats most DLC as post-game content, I'm saving it until after I've beaten the game)

However, I've been dipping my toes into the online in order to unlock the amiibo outfits (that's the only reason I'm playing online; it's an incredibly frustrating experience, with me getting matched up against people who are 70 levels higher than I am, and once I get that cool Predator-style armour from the squid amiibo, I am done with it), only to find out that I was mistaken for how to unlock more pieces. I thought that new pieces unlocked at levels 6 and 9, but getting to level 6 unlocked me nothing.

How do you get more gear from the amiibos in Splatoon 2?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do you get more gear from the amiibos in Splatoon 2?
Save your gear loadout to the amiibo and then try scanning it again. They won't give you the rest of the pieces if you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Thoughts on the Splat Roller.

Roller is garbage in neutral. It doesn't require any sort of character counter. If you try to use it in neutral while you're both standing on the ground, all they have to do is press the shield button and then punish with whatever their characters best OOS option is. They can forgo shielding entirely and simply use any attack they want since roller loses to pretty much everything. Also yes, they can indeed just press the jump button. Parry works too of course.

Splat Roller is a laggy, ink-guzzling, low priority, super-usnafe on shield move in which the best outcome for the user can only occur if both characters are standing on a mostly flat surface. Against a competent player you will struggle to ground them. That's the reason roller buries as long as it does compared to say certain other character's bury throws. Even with grabs nerfed, they are still worlds easier to land.

Here's the thing, despite all of that being true, in 5's first week I watched many players who were considered to be top professionals in Smash 4, Brawl, etc. play against inkling players and let themselves get buried in neutral again and again. As in the inkling would active splat roller and then just roll toward these world class players while they straight up did not react at all, repeatedly.

Over time though, they got used to the new engine and learned how the move actually worked. See, it takes time for reactionary habits to form. Even the best players need time to adjust. Once they did though, I noticed those same inkling players begin to have noticeably less success with neutral roller. In response, I started to see it used much more as the potential penultimate part of a string.

Splat Roller is a move that actually punishes the decision to go for a tech since it only buries standing characters. If a character in tumble state opts not to tech, the inkling can simply use other moves to rack up even more damage. A pick your poison sort of deal.

If you as an inkling player manage to bury your opponent at kill percent, as far as I'm concerned given the numerous downsides of the move, you have more than earned that potential KO.

Being nearly helpless feels awful with the major reduction of control over the situation. That's what both shield breaking and bury does. Players see only that undesirable end-state while ignoring the myriad ways they could have avoided it. Hence the cry to reduce its duration.

Whatever the first real major character balance patch consists of will in large part determine the future of the game. To be frank I am not interested in following a game in which characters kill options/kill confirms are taken away from them. So if Splat Roller's bury frames are reduced, I'll know that's exactly what the devs are going for and can see myself out knowing the game is not going in a direction I care to be a part of.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thoughts on the Splat Roller.

Roller is garbage in neutral. It doesn't require any sort of character counter. If you try to use it in neutral while you're both standing on the ground, all they have to do is press the shield button and then punish with whatever their characters best OOS option is. They can forgo shielding entirely and simply use any attack they want since roller loses to pretty much everything. Also yes, they can indeed just press the jump button. Parry works too of course.

Splat Roller is a laggy, ink-guzzling, low priority, super-usnafe on shield move in which the best outcome for the user can only occur if both characters are standing on a mostly flat surface. Against a competent player you will struggle to ground them. That's the reason roller buries as long as it does compared to say certain other character's bury throws. Even with grabs nerfed, they are still worlds easier to land.

Here's the thing, despite all of that being true, in 5's first week I watched many players who were considered to be top professionals in Smash 4, Brawl, etc. play against inkling players and let themselves get buried in neutral again and again. As in the inkling would active splat roller and then just roll toward these world class players while they straight up did not react at all, repeatedly.

Over time though, they got used to the new engine and learned how the move actually worked. See, it takes time for reactionary habits to form. Even the best players need time to adjust. Once they did though, I noticed those same inkling players begin to have noticeably less success with neutral roller. In response, I started to see it used much more as the potential penultimate part of a string.

Splat Roller is a move that actually punishes the decision to go for a tech since it only buries standing characters. If a character in tumble state opts not to tech, the inkling can simply use other moves to rack up even more damage. A pick your poison sort of deal.

If you as an inkling player manage to bury your opponent at kill percent, as far as I'm concerned given the numerous downsides of the move, you have more than earned that potential KO.

Being nearly helpless feels awful with the major reduction of control over the situation. That's what both shield breaking and bury does. Players see only that undesirable end-state while ignoring the myriad ways they could have avoided it. Hence the cry to reduce its duration.

Whatever the first real major character balance patch consists of will in large part determine the future of the game. To be frank I am not interested in following a game in which characters kill options/kill confirms are taken away from them. So if Splat Roller's bury frames are reduced, I'll know that's exactly what the devs are going for and can see myself out knowing the game is not going in a direction I care to be a part of.
Rollers: Crushing and making noobs cry since 2015.

D

Deleted member

Hello fellow inkling people, question for you all, is nair considered busted or is it lukewarm
Only weakness Nair has is the tiny hitbox. Other than that, it's fast, it has amazing utility in starting combos, lengthening combos, and getting people off of you.

Not busted, but definitely very good. Up Air is the busted one, lol. Forward Air also has amazing use, especially off-stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

the fact this is the only message we've gotten in awhile here is kinda sad

both this and isabelle seem to be dealing with lack of traffic on the social topic
I'm honestly kind of surprised the Inkling threads aren't getting any traffic considering how popular the character is turning out to be.

VollrathFGC

Smash Cadet
I'm honestly kind of surprised the Inkling threads aren't getting any traffic considering how popular the character is turning out to be.
Yeah, they seem very good possibly number 1, shocking it isn’t getting attention

And imo they’re the most toned down number 1 in the series if everything stays at is, cause their only true weakness is killing sometimes and they don’t truly excel at anything, it’s kind of a good at all master of none

Top Bottom