• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Dropping Summary (I did not coin the term)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Hey...

On topic: it doesn't seem like there's much point to giving it a special name if it's something that tons of random people will wind up discovering in the course of normal play. But if we are going to name it something, then Ink Dropping is as good a name as any other. It's kind of catchy.

More importantly, knowing how to cancel the Ink Drop in the absence of wavedashing is a pretty important find. Although it confuses me why we would use this instead of just crouching to cancel the dash, then turning around. Perhaps this one takes less time and is harder to detect?
LOL wobbles you know i was just using your move as an example, and i still love your penguin.

RMR

Smash Apprentice
Ummm, this is getting out of control

Zauron has good points, but Im not sure if arguing against the mods is a good thing, I dont really know about censorchip rules here Right now, and alternate names are ok, I dont like how some random people want to impose the Name Ink Drop and nothing more

RoyalRook has good points, but adds random flaming to his (His, right ?). And I must agree that the mods are a little egocentric (Dont overlook me, I have been reading this forum for 4 months)

Inks has nothing to do with this, but he doesnt even TRY to do something

I mean, you could just use Tripping and Ink Drop at the same time, like Sex Kick and Dair, No need to impose any of them. Ink drop Sound stupid and has nothing to do with the technique, Tripping sounds plain, boring. Any fool (Any fool IS) can see the bad things

Use what you do like the most, but be prepared, some people wont understand you. And yes, Im a nobody beetween nobodies.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
On further reflection, I simply suggest that we call it stumbling or tripping, or something simple but descriptive. These are easy to recognize even for somebody who just randomly comes to the boards, whereas coining it as Ink Dropping has caused nothing but confusion. We shouldn't need an entire thread to explain why falling over has a special name.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
On further reflection, I simply suggest that we call it stumbling or tripping, or something simple but descriptive. These are easy to recognize even for somebody who just randomly comes to the boards, whereas coining it as Ink Dropping has caused nothing but confusion. We shouldn't need an entire thread to explain why falling over has a special name.
/pandora's box

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm going to affiliate myself with Ink Drop. I don't play with pros, and as such, using base vernacular terms like "trip" or "stumble" hardly make me look very impressive. However, calling it by something unexpected gives off the impression that I've taken my time to understand what I'm doing.

Any noob can look at that move and say "Nice stumble!" but it takes a real player to get the underscored etymology. After all, any smasher worth his title is only out to impress.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Dude, it really take someone who actually loves this game to understand. I am not kissing up to you Wobbles, but I am being waiting for someone who really knows how pointless Inks' Drop really is. Tripping is just a simple after touch which may or may not able to be taken advantage of (be able to be canceled); associate this simple mechanic with anything else, is just plain vanitied.

Personally, I'm going to affiliate myself with Ink Drop. I don't play with pros, and as such, using base vernacular terms like "trip" or "stumble" hardly make me look very impressive. However, calling it by something unexpected gives off the impression that I've taken my time to understand what I'm doing.

Any noob can look at that move and say "Nice stumble!" but it takes a real player to get the underscored etymology. After all, any smasher worth his title is only out to impress.
Haha alright brother, alright. I am exactly like that, too. Have you heard about RoyalFart? If you mention it, you are da bomb and a true pro.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
inkdroping sounds so much cooler than anything else. i'd go with that. and the hugging thing is also a perfect name. you guys are lucky that your names actually go with the techniques that so cool. hiroshi doesnt go with anything, lol. what would i do if i found a new tech. "oh look guys, i found this new move, ita gonna be called the hiroshima". so lame...peace

-hiroshi
I like the name, and agree hiroshi.

Hey...

On topic: it doesn't seem like there's much point to giving it a special name if it's something that tons of random people will wind up discovering in the course of normal play. But if we are going to name it something, then Ink Dropping is as good a name as any other. It's kind of catchy.

More importantly, knowing how to cancel the Ink Drop in the absence of wavedashing is a pretty important find. Although it confuses me why we would use this instead of just crouching to cancel the dash, then turning around. Perhaps this one takes less time and is harder to detect?
It should remain with the name Ink Drop(ping), but have like a secondary name, like Tumbling. Two names...maybe=???

Edit: Awsome name idea....BARELL ROLL DROP! :laugh:

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Johnknight1, I don't know what, but I am curious. Do you have a mind of your own? B/c I find your posts are lame. Straight up. Give us some ideas and argument, what is with this single minded BS. Are you friend with Inks or something?

shanus

Smash Hero
can you tech off the fall? could be a nifty way to get invincibility frames? Also, can you aerial during the trip? Trying to determine uses here haha

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
For those saying ink drop is a silly name, you're on the boards of a game with a floating pink ball, a pink women who pulls turnips from the ground (not to mention lightsabers), some mokeys, a italian plumber who wares britches and A TALKING MOLE. The gameplay of smash games may have the potential for seriousness (in tournements) but the image doesn't.

I'm going to call it ink drop because i like the name. I find things like 'stumble cancel' very boring.

justbanter

Smash Rookie
is it possible that this occurs when you try to grab during a dash, but miss? that's what it kind of looks like.

Sliq

Smash Master
Hey guys, I went to the e for all demo, and I was the first guy to double jump. From now on it's called "Sliq Boosting."

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
very very intresting. i never noticed either that trip exsisted and will be in brawl. i really dont care either if we call it ink droppping

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Remember when you posted a picture of a bottle of ink falling over in response to somebody's question?

No, DIFFERENT situation. Because it was funny.

Actually, I thought Sliq boosting was funny too. Because it's ironic.

And Ink Dropping DOES sound neat, you can use it for sexual euphemisms and trash talk mid-match, and none of that changes the fact that we don't need special names for normal things.

I guess it could be used as a kind of secret handshake though.

"I play Brawl!"
"Have you Ink Dropped yet?"
"...wtf?"
"YOU'RE NOT FROM SMASHBOARDS!"

Etc.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Remember when you posted a picture of a bottle of ink falling over in response to somebody's question?

No, DIFFERENT situation. Because it was funny.

Actually, I thought Sliq boosting was funny too. Because it's ironic.

And Ink Dropping DOES sound neat, you can use it for sexual euphemisms and trash talk mid-match, and none of that changes the fact that we don't need special names for normal things.

I guess it could be used as a kind of secret handshake though.

"I play Brawl!"
"Have you Ink Dropped yet?"
"...wtf?"
"YOU'RE NOT FROM SMASHBOARDS!"

Etc.
OMG this is the post of all posts, lol.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, Ink Dropping is a horrible, horrible name for this technique. It is hardly descriptive of the actual technique, and will just lead to a lot of confusion in the end. The technique itself is not that simple to explain, and by calling it "Ink Dropping", we will be explaining it a LOT.

It's seriously stupid, IMO, but whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Sliq

Smash Master
It's just annoying that people just started naming **** after themselves. It's arrogant and annoying. It is basically me in technique name form.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, Ink Dropping is a horrible, horrible name for this technique. It is hardly descriptive of the actual technique, and will just lead to a lot of confusion in the end. The technique itself is not that simple to explain, and by calling it "Ink Dropping", we will be explaining it a LOT.
O noez!
He must haet wayvdashin 2!!!!!!1oneshiftelevan!

RMR

Smash Apprentice
For those saying ink drop is a silly name, you're on the boards of a game with a floating pink ball, a pink women who pulls turnips from the ground (not to mention lightsabers), some mokeys, a italian plumber who wares britches and A TALKING MOLE. The gameplay of smash games may have the potential for seriousness (in tournements) but the image doesn't.

I'm going to call it ink drop because i like the name. I find things like 'stumble cancel' very boring.
Well, he has a point, But Yeah, Ink drop is a bad, BAD name

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
I know for a fact that real people are not going to call some silly animation the Dush Drop, but if kids from CA wants to circle dush drop from time to time, then fine, each their own, right?

I can't wait to see Inks online, it's going to be great.

Top Bottom