• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Drop Name Change Consideration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I've seen too many threads stray off because of this. So let's decide it here.

Zauron found it and made the GIF
Ink drop discovered the input and how to cancel it.

Suggested Names:
Ink Drop
Trip
Dash Pivot
Stumble

The name would have Cancel added to it for...the cancelling into something else.

Tumble has been used: "Tumble is already the term for falling through the air while you're able to tech you landing, or force your way out of it with an aerial or the back-and-forward motion on the control stick."

What it is:
INK DROP.
THIS is the big one folks

you konw that clip where yohsi just randomly falls over tehn rolls?

well, thats the Ink drop. discovered by inks with applications soon to follow. alright you know how we had some ideas for a version of wavedashing, well this is oen of them.

The ink drop opens up for a DASH pivot. you can dash past somebody and instantly turn around and grab them if you ink drop into a reverse grab. its beautiful. dashing pivots is BIG.

basically to ink drop you do a poorly timed dash dance, you dash far enough where your dash dance doesn't work, then you try to turn around, you should just fall over, thats an ink drop, but basically you can ink drop cancel with grabs and attack and what not to turn around and do moves, its quite seckzy

Zauron's Opinion:
Didn't realize Tumble was taken, that's too bad, kinda liked that one.

How about just Trip? And Trip-Cancel? Is the abbreviation TC taken by any other techniques? Stumble-cancel is fine too if people prefer it. Or even the name Ink suggested, Pivot Dash Cancel (or was it Dash Pivot Cancel) would make more sense to me.

It bothers me to name it Ink Drop not because I have an issue with naming a move after someone, but because this isn't a special technique that Ink has perfected and utilized a lot and earned the name, like the Ken Combo. Its completely different than other techniques named afte players.

Its a technique designed by the developers, with a unique animation, and probably has an official name known to the devs. The Ken Combo was a way of combining developer-designed moves together in a unique way and maximizing its use. Same with Wobbling. This move, however, is clearly a staple move built into the game. Its possible it will be mentioned on the Dojo or even the manual.

If someone had gone and tried a demo of Melee before it came out and discovered that pushing L/R in the air makes you do an air-dodge, would we have named air-dodging after him? What about Teching? These are moves built-in to the game, not special techniques utilizing existing moves for a specific character.

This is not at all the same thing as the Ken Combo. This is a player stumbling across a move built-in to the game at a demo and some well-known mod being cute and deciding arbitrarily to name the move after the player without waiting to see what name the rest of the community would settle on when the move was in common use. Unlike the Ken Combo or Wobbling, any random player would have discovered this move within a day of the game coming out. Ink certainly has not done the work that Ken and Wobble did to perfect their technique and earn it being named after them.

Besides all that, Ink himself was one of the first people to suggest naming it something else - I believe he suggeseted Pivot Dash Cancel.
I don't want to name it myself, it never even occured to me to try to lay any claim on it until it started being called "Ink Drop" everewhere. I just don't think a built-in move made by the devs should be named after a player. I would like a name that describes the move and that most people think makes sense for what it does and what it looks like. To me it looks like the character tripped, so Trip makes sense, and you can cancel it, hence Trip Cancel. Others think Stumble sounds good. Ink himself suggested Dash Pivot Cancel or Pivot Dash Cancel (can't remember the order).

If you like "Ink Drop", fine, no one can stop you from continuing to call it that. But those of us that don't like "Ink Drop" should agree on a more, uh, normal name so we know what move we are talking about in future discussions about it.
Ink's Opinion:
needed

Community Opinion:
  • "It's the first ever Brawl technique figured out by a player and Ink should be able to name it whatever he wants."
  • "Ink did figure out about cancelling with it, so it only seems fair that he gets to dub it what he wants."
  • "If it is named after anybody, it really should be named after Z. He did find it first, so it is unfair to name it after ink. My vote is for Stumble, and Stumble Cancel. It's much more descriptive, acronyms well, doesn't conflict with any other names, and doesn't step on anybody's toes."
  • "It's not some bizzare, unreal phenomenon that contradicts the basic laws of physics like wavedashing (which one could use to justify its rather odd name). The character trips and falls over. A mundane, descriptive name would suit it much better. I mean, the act of falling (though perhaps not the canceling) is probably something every one of us would have seen within a couple of days of playing...everyone just likes the idea of giving it a wacky, exotic name now because we know so little of Brawl and any little tidbit of information excites people. In the long run, I just don't think it'll be a very suitable name."
  • "I agree Ink Drop is awesome name. But only con is that there will be over 9000 threads asking what's ink drop? every single day."

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Tumble is already the term for falling through the air while you're able to tech you landing, or force your way out of it with an aerial or the back-and-forward motion on the control stick.

Ink drop seems fine to me, anyway.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Ink drop sounds so much cooler.

And Ink did figure out about cancelling with it, so it only seems fair that he gets to dub it what he wants.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Ink Drop is the best name for it, especially since after a while, everyone will know what it is, and not get it confused with anything else.

I mean, what kind of name is wavedashing anyway :D

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, didn't realize the name conflict.

How about: Stumbling and Stumble Cancel.

If it is named after anybody, it really should be named after Z. He did find it first, so it is unfair to name it after ink.

My vote is for Stumble, and Stumble Cancel. It's much more descriptive, acronyms well, doesn't conflict with any other names, and doesn't step on anybody's toes.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can't think of anything other than dash drop, since you actually dash and then drop.

Cinder

Smash Master
Yeah, let's stick with ink drop...after all, it was INK DROP who discovered it...besides, would you wanna change a term coined by a mod (well, a term brought to the boards by a mod...namely Gimpyfish)? Besides...Ink Drop sounds cool...why would you wanna change it?

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Bellyflop ~ bellyroll ~ bellydrop
Stumble would be good too.

Anything aside from having the word "ink" in it.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
I don't want to bash you or anything, ShortFuse, but I don't think it's really that important. The Ken Combo wasn't official either, but it stuck.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I don't want to bash you or anything, ShortFuse, but I don't think it's really that important. The Ken Combo wasn't official either, but it stuck.
Well the Ken Combo was just a combo not a technique/move. It just happens to much on this thread where people will interject and say "Really? Ink Drop, should we call it that?" and so we can point them here. Keep the forum organized.

I'm actually pro Ink Drop despite the fact that Zauron introduced it to us. If he can discover a new technique within a hours of play, I think he deserves his name in it. As long as the abbreviation hasn't been used.

Either that or call it. Imp Drop

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Ink drop is good.

And it's inks desicion IMO.
I agree Ink Drop is awesome name. But only con is that there will be over 9000 threads asking what's ink drop? every single day.

Whatever Ink chooses is fine.

Other names might be nice but not tumbling, doesnt sound cool enough as wavedash or waveshine.

I think no matter what, we will always still have the name Ink Drop in our hearts.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
The only reason I object, is because Zauron has expressed his displeasure that the name was named, not after the person that discovered it after hours of studdying photos, but after the person that stumbled on it. And yea, he did stumble on it. He was dash dancing, and did his dash too long.

Zauron put in 100x the effort, so I think he deserves the right to name it.

He likes Trip and Trip cancel. Doesn't like my Stumble suggestion.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
OMG THIS HAS UPGRADED TO PRESCHOOL ANTICS!

"I CALLED IT!"

"NO I DID!"

"NUH UH!"

"YEAH HUH!"

Seriously guys, who cares? It is a friggen name...

I don't call any of the terms the names you do in real life when I play with my friends, I make up my own names for them.

Deal.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman

How about just Trip? And Trip-Cancel? Is the abbreviation TC taken by any other techniques? Stumble-cancel is fine too if people prefer it. Or even the name Ink suggested, Pivot Dash Cancel (or was it Dash Pivot Cancel) would make more sense to me.

It bothers me to name it Ink Drop not because I have an issue with naming a move after someone, but because this isn't a special technique that Ink has perfected and utilized a lot and earned the name, like the Ken Combo. Its completely different than other techniques named afte players.

Its a technique designed by the developers, with a unique animation, and probably has an official name known to the devs. The Ken Combo was a way of combining developer-designed moves together in a unique way and maximizing its use. Same with Wobbling. This move, however, is clearly a staple move built into the game. Its possible it will be mentioned on the Dojo or even the manual.

If someone had gone and tried a demo of Melee before it came out and discovered that pushing L/R in the air makes you do an air-dodge, would we have named air-dodging after him? What about Teching? These are moves built-in to the game, not special techniques utilizing existing moves for a specific character.

This is not at all the same thing as the Ken Combo. This is a player stumbling across a move built-in to the game at a demo and some well-known mod being cute and deciding arbitrarily to name the move after the player without waiting to see what name the rest of the community would settle on when the move was in common use. Unlike the Ken Combo or Wobbling, any random player would have discovered this move within a day of the game coming out. Ink certainly has not done the work that Ken and Wobble did to perfect their technique and earn it being named after them.

Besides all that, Ink himself was one of the first people to suggest naming it something else - I believe he suggeseted Pivot Dash Cancel.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace

"I CALLED IT!"

"NO I DID!"

"NUH UH!"

"YEAH HUH!"

I don't call any of the terms the names you do in real life when I play with my friends, I make up my own names for them.

Deal.
xD

Call it whatever you want guys.

Sirami

Smash Cadet

"I CALLED IT!"

"NO I DID!"

"NUH UH!"

"YEAH HUH!"

Deal.
If it's not a big deal to you, but it is a big deal to Z, why not call it Trip and Trip cancel?

No reason not to, right?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
If it's not a big deal to you, but it is a big deal to Z, why not call it Trip and Trip cancel?

No reason not to, right?
Because I am not Zauron, and Zauron dosen't have to conform to a term he does not feel comfortable with...

I am not going to call it that though....

I like "ninja vault" better.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman

Exactly!! All those objecting this "name change" should read this post.

@Lavis

The majority of the people here will call you a noob if you don't call wavedancing wavedancing and call it something you made up.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Because I am not Zauron, and Zauron dosen't have to conform to a term he does not feel comfortable with...

I am not going to call it that though....

I like "ninja vault" better.
Allright, allright, to each his own.

I'll go with whatever Z wants to call it, since he's the one that actually discovered it. I'm not gonna correct anybody though, and I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it.

Trip and Trip cancel is what I'll use.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Allright, allright, to each his own.

I'll go with whatever Z wants to call it, since he's the one that actually discovered it. I'm not gonna correct anybody though, and I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it.

Trip and Trip cancel is what I'll use.
Good boy. :laugh:

*begins to officially name the technique "ninja vault" in his mind

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to name it myself, it never even occured to me to try to lay any claim on it until it started being called "Ink Drop" everewhere. I just don't think a built-in move made by the devs should be named after a player. I would like a name that describes the move and that most people think makes sense for what it does and what it looks like. To me it looks like the character tripped, so Trip makes sense, and you can cancel it, hence Trip Cancel. Others think Stumble sounds good. Ink himself suggested Dash Pivot Cancel or Pivot Dash Cancel (can't remember the order).

If you like "Ink Drop", fine, no one can stop you from continuing to call it that. But those of us that don't like "Ink Drop" should agree on a more, uh, normal name so we know what move we are talking about in future discussions about it.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord

It IS a vault mate.... :p

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
I can see a new name for every so called advance technique that somebody finds now :p I'll jus use the most used name when ever its decided. hopefully its short and it flows wit my sentences :p

DPC or PDC sounds pretty nice and so does Stumble and Trip Cancel

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
The majority of the people here will call you a noob if you don't call wavedancing wavedancing and call it something you made up.
I call you a noob for calling it wavedancing and not wavedashing.

Your opinion doesn't count.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Zauron makes a lot of sense. Although I do like "Ink Drop," "Trip Cancel" is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom