• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Bowser: I've won against a Dair lock massive attack against Peach. Yes. DDD is different. He has counters for nearly everything you got and a tad more power, multiple jumps and less weight.
DDD vs Bowser is bad for Bowser either way, that doesn't stop good bowsers from winning this matchup against other good DDDs in tourneys does it? There's obviously something that they're doing that you fail to do.

Yes, it can be compressed more. It's been so little time since it came out. In comparison to how long Melee took to be moderated, it's rediculous to claim we've hit our limit at this moment of time.
It can be compressed more when there's cause for it. There's no cause for it here because the strategy can be beaten and HAS been beaten. It just takes much more effort on your part.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yes, the DDD player. He can infinite you, he doesn't need to be better to win.
Why it needs a ban.

It can be, certainly. It's just that it won't be. Compressing means choking the game further to try and make it more "fair". There's a point where you stop, and this is that point.
Why because you decided that? Don't say ban like it's a terrible thing, you don't choke the game. You take out items, stages and techniques as it would require. Somehow people gasp when I say take out techniques. I doubt I'll understand why any time soon.

Broken record of a solution? There's plenty of Marios, Bowsers, and DKs that don't have probelms with DDD's infinite. They adapted and can now deal with it without it being an insta-win for DDD. If YOU not being able to do it makes it seem "unfair" or w/e else you call it, then YOU have a problem.
Considering there's no actual way to tell how close they're skill level was to yours without all things being balanced out, this point doesn't really hold at all. For example Mario vs. Mario. It doesn't prove the winner is better with Mario, it proves the winner was better at Mario vs. Mario. There's so many factors into things like this, the general best player would be decided with a tournament and these tournaments should be fitted or "choked" as a more negative sounding word to what would decide skill the most. "Using your best character against other people's best character." Although things go wrong in tourneys that mess up who would actually win. Like tiers for example, you don't just use the same character as the opponent and assume the person who won has the most skill. At the same time, you can't ban a character either, because of the people who mained that character. As much as people try to avoid it, feelings are taken into consideration.

The point here is to balance things out the best we can. Therefore possibly the most accurate way to find the best person at the game (playing against a variety of different people and characters) would be botched by something as one-sided as this.

This isn't something to be argued, this is factual information. There are viable ways around the infinites, so they don't need to be banned.
There is also a way around MK's infinite dimensional cape, as well as infinites against walls (which stages are banned for) Even items. Does that mean it shouldn't be banned?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
As much as I hate being Mr. Raincloud, thinking that Dedede won't grab you if you hit him with a bunch of ranged attacks then somehow you have the ability to hit him until he reaches 150% and then you can KO him with Samus having bad KO ability. Yet, he can't get a grab on you. It's just unrealistic.

Fine, if it's that bad, ban their infinite too. I can't understand how you would actually think that as soon as the Ice Climbers land a grab you lose a stock, when there is more to it than that. Also to think the Ice Climbers would be bad characters if they couldn't infinite is pretty ridiculous too.

When an average person beats Bum without using an infinite please tell me. Sorry, but I'm not sure what people have been making you think. Has it been too many Brawl haters? You think Brawl actually has that little depth? You know that one of the reasons people hate Brawl is because of the infinites, right? Do people like or dislike Brawl because of the infinites? I don't even know how to generalize people any more. Just to make this clear, do you really agree with yourself in that last paragraph?
Samus can rack up alot of damage in strange ways, sometimes very quickly. it is possible to go an entire match w/o being grabbed, and you can escape it if you do get grabbed. i myself have not done this b/c i am not good enough to do so.

again whats your reasoning the IC's won't be bad w/o their CG? also have you seen what their CG does? you don't instatly lose a stock when they grab you but the chances of not losing it, to an IC player who knows what they're doing is almost non existent.

truth be told. i don't like brawl that much at all. if not for brawl exclusive characters like Lucas, and the fact that the people i generally play with only want to play brawl, i wouldn't really even play it at all.

i agree with myself cause theres not alot to brawl. most stuff is done automatically or just not there. some characters are good, some bad, very few exceptions even when player skill is taken into account. my main is Peach Zelda/Sheik, i've mained them since melee, in melee if a scrub tried to match my Peach or even my Zelda w/o sheik with fox they got destroyed. in brawl someone picks MK or G&W and they instantly appear to be on my skill level against my peach/zelda simply by being good characters not skilled players.

what depth do you see in brawl may i ask?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why it needs a ban.
No, it's not. The better player does not always win. It's a bad matchup, you're using the character with the disadvantage, you must deal. If you used a character on even ground with them, and you were the better player, sure you'd win. Picking the character that's vulnerable to the infinite is handicapping yourself. That's the way it works.

Why because you decided that? Don't say ban like it's a terrible thing, you don't choke the game. You take out items, stages and techniques as it would require. Somehow people gasp when I say take out techniques. I doubt I'll understand why any time soon.
It is choking the game. You take out items and stages because they harbor random occurences. Random occurences aren't good for competition. Period.
Techniques that can't be fought, such as stalling, are removed because it kills competition. I'll agree that Infinites limit competition, but not enough to warrant a ban.

Banning something is serious in a community like this where "Play To Win" is law. People will get as close as possible to the infinite without actually doing the infinite to get closer to the victory. Also, when you ban something, it sets a precedent for everything else anyone thinks is ban-worthy.

What if Olimar mains thought that ledgehogging Olimar needs to be outlawed because it's too hard to recover? Everyone can do it and it limits the character's true potential. It would fall under the same criteria that would've gotten these infinites banned; setting a double-standard for the competitive gaming community. Why go through the hassle for a technique that can be beaten with a little practice?

Considering there's no actual way to tell how close they're skill level was to yours without all things being balanced out, this point doesn't really hold at all. For example Mario vs. Mario. It doesn't prove the winner is better with Mario, it proves the winner was better at Mario vs. Mario. There's so many factors into things like this, the general best player would be decided with a tournament and these tournaments should be fitted or "choked" as a more negative sounding word to what would decide skill the most. "Using your best character against other people's best character." Although things go wrong in tourneys that mess up who would actually win. Like tiers for example, you don't just use the same character as the opponent and assume the person who won has the most skill. At the same time, you can't ban a character either, because of the people who mained that character. As much as people try to avoid it, feelings are taken into consideration.
Quite the contrary. If a Mario wins against a DDD that has full knowledge of the infinite, the Mario is undoubtedly the better player. This is a bad matchup. If the Mario player wins with this handicap, there's no other conclusion other than the Mario being a better player.

You're making things more difficult than they seem here. There's no additional factors here. There's matchups and players. That's pretty much it.

The point here is to balance things out the best we can.
Sorry, It's not. Don't feel bad, I thought this too only a few months back.

There is also a way around MK's infinite dimensional cape, as well as infinites against walls (which stages are banned for) Even items. Does that mean it shouldn't be banned?
Clever there, but no. These are completely different. Walls mean pick DDD or lose. They limit the game for EVERY character instead of just 5, which is also part of why it won't be banned. There's no counterpicking other than picking DDD and hoping that you get the grab first. Competition is limited far too much in this case, so stages with walls are banned.

MK's infinite dimensional cape is the same thing here, except its only purpose is for stalling. Stalling tactics are banned.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and if you were to play a casual snake or MK that doesnt go on SWF, and you are really good with zelda, or peach you will still **** him

there definitely a curve
sometimes ppl are too dumb to tell but its there

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
oh i do, but its more like just beat, rarely **** unless its someone completely clueless. the curve can be very minimal at times. that was my point.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Matador, you haven't actually seen me play at all, have you? How're you to say I'm failing at this? I simply acknowledged that D3 has advantages over Bowser to begin with. Get your head out of your colon, please.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Matador, you haven't actually seen me play at all, have you? How're you to say I'm failing at this? I simply acknowledged that D3 has advantages over Bowser to begin with. Get your head out of your colon, please.
I assumed you were because you're so zealously arguing against them. My assumption isn't really ill-placed because of your standpoint here.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Samus can rack up alot of damage in strange ways, sometimes very quickly. it is possible to go an entire match w/o being grabbed, and you can escape it if you do get grabbed. i myself have not done this b/c i am not good enough to do so.

again whats your reasoning the IC's won't be bad w/o their CG? also have you seen what their CG does? you don't instatly lose a stock when they grab you but the chances of not losing it, to an IC player who knows what they're doing is almost non existent.

truth be told. i don't like brawl that much at all. if not for brawl exclusive characters like Lucas, and the fact that the people i generally play with only want to play brawl, i wouldn't really even play it at all.

i agree with myself cause theres not alot to brawl. most stuff is done automatically or just not there. some characters are good, some bad, very few exceptions even when player skill is taken into account. my main is Peach Zelda/Sheik, i've mained them since melee, in melee if a scrub tried to match my Peach or even my Zelda w/o sheik with fox they got destroyed. in brawl someone picks MK or G&W and they instantly appear to be on my skill level against my peach/zelda simply by being good characters not skilled players.

what depth do you see in brawl may i ask?
You still don't explain how you expect to be able to hit Dedede with tons of projectiles, yet he can't hit you. Saying Samus can rack up damage in wierd ways doesn't subsitute as a reason. Samus is ranked low, is that because she's bad or because people have an easy counter-pick against her with Dedede? Both of these arn't going to exist next to eachother. You can't escape once your grabbed. The reason the Ice Climbers won't be bad without they're infinite is because they don't always get it set up and they can always do alright without it. Can you be more clear on what you mean by CG, call it infinite from now on, it's been bothering me. Also, more standards have to be met for their infinite to work other than just grab them and down throw.

I usually try to argue with people without saying things that would be taken as offensive, but that last paragraph was just completely misinformed.

You know every character specific AT? You think that if an AT isn't universal to every character it doesn't matter? You think because the game got rid of some of the things that Melee had it's a worse game. Nothing new was added? You think after a couple months, everything will be found?

I can't find it, but one user has a quote in his signature with something about a sport and shorts, if you see it. Pay attention to it.

correction, there is no way around the infinite cape, all you can do is wait for the MK to run out of hand stamina
You could just not let him get in first, he doesn't win at 0%.

No, it's not. The better player does not always win. It's a bad matchup, you're using the character with the disadvantage, you must deal. If you used a character on even ground with them, and you were the better player, sure you'd win. Picking the character that's vulnerable to the infinite is handicapping yourself. That's the way it works.
Of course I know the better player does not always win, that's why I'm discussing this. I've gone over the counter-picks issue earlier. Put simply, it's unfair to make someone else have to train with a counter-pick while someone else doesn't have to just because one player had the misfortune of Sakurai poorly balancing Dedede to make their best character bad against him. Banning it makes the match-up fair. Why is that bad? Much smaller things than this have been fixed into the rules.

It is choking the game. You take out items and stages because they harbor random occurences. Random occurences aren't good for competition. Period.
Techniques that can't be fought, such as stalling, are removed because it kills competition. I'll agree that Infinites limit competition, but not enough to warrant a ban.
Note that all random occurences are avoidable and therefore fair according to you people. Extremely one-sided match-ups are bad for competition too, because I want to main someone who has moderatly bad match-ups, I have to know that doing good with that character is near impossible because I'd have to pick up a new character to do it? Banning it would prevent that.

Banning something is serious in a community like this where "Play To Win" is law. People will get as close as possible to the infinite without actually doing the infinite to get closer to the victory. Also, when you ban something, it sets a precedent for everything else anyone thinks is ban-worthy.
Yeah, because items are real serious. The better player usually wins with items on, usually the better player wins sudden death, but it's banned because "usually" isn't good enough. By "no infinites" everyone has in mind, no re-grabs because it's impossible to do an infinite even if they are allowed. You don't need to do it infinitely, you just need to do it until a back-throw would kill them.

What if Olimar mains thought that ledgehogging Olimar needs to be outlawed because it's too hard to recover? Everyone can do it and it limits the character's true potential. It would fall under the same criteria that would've gotten these infinites banned; setting a double-standard for the competitive gaming community. Why go through the hassle for a technique that can be beaten with a little practice?
Olimar is still expected high-tier despite having his recovery as his weakest point. Olimar can handle every character match-up without having one of them destroy him. Yeah, because an infiniting Dedede can be beaten with "a little practice."

Quite the contrary. If a Mario wins against a DDD that has full knowledge of the infinite, the Mario is undoubtedly the better player. This is a bad matchup. If the Mario player wins with this handicap, there's no other conclusion other than the Mario being a better player.
That and beyond.

You're making things more difficult than they seem here. There's no additional factors here. There's matchups and players. That's pretty much it.
What would this contribute?

Sorry, It's not. Don't feel bad, I thought this too only a few months back.
Been explained.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@Veggi
Samus doesn't just use projectiles to fight, theres more to it than that there are physical attacks like Dtilt that work as well as Bair. Samus is ranked as low b/c she's not that good a of a character, DDD CG only barely adds to that. again i don't main Samsu enough, or fight enough DDD players who actually know about the CG to tell you exactly how the matchup plays out. you want info on that ask a Samus main, DDD main, or look at their boards for yourself.

if you took it offensively i am sorry. but idk how my second paraghraph seems offensive when i was asking you how good are the IC's w/o their infinite. you say they can do alright w/o it. thats b/c the set up to it isn't that easy, meaning they must be able do something else other than hit the grab button. even DDD doesn't just sit there spamming grab on those 5 characters the whole match, he can do more and should know how to otherwise he's probably losing the match.

No, i don't know how to preform each and every advance technique w/o thinking, do you? many of them i can do though, more so for characters i main than ones i don't, but i know what they are. the universal AT's in melee helped all characters. better characters benefited more, not so good characters not so much. but with them certain character weaknesses could be overcome or strengths enhanced. more people are around for brawl than the beginning of Melees competetive life, therefore the metagame should be progressing very fast and continuously, but it hasn't. why don't you tell me whats so newly added to brawl that benefits?

their were really bad matchups in melee too. Sheik v. Bowser 10-0. that didn't stop the bowser mains from playing bowser did it? bad matchups are going to exist reguardless. Fox v Pikachu (brawl) 2-8 that doesn't stop the Fox mains.

on Olimar, despite his recovery, Olimar himsef is still a very good character.

Veggi

Smash Champion
@Veggi
Samus doesn't just use projectiles to fight, theres more to it than that there are physical attacks like Dtilt that work as well as Bair. Samus is ranked as low b/c she's not that good a of a character, DDD CG only barely adds to that. again i don't main Samsu enough, or fight enough DDD players who actually know about the CG to tell you exactly how the matchup plays out. you want info on that ask a Samus main, DDD main, or look at their boards for yourself.
Close-range attacks will get you grabbed. If she's just flat-out bad then she has a hard time not getting grabbed by Dedede. Which is why I brought it up.

if you took it offensively i am sorry. but idk how my second paraghraph seems offensive when i was asking you how good are the IC's w/o their infinite. you say they can do alright w/o it. thats b/c the set up to it isn't that easy, meaning they must be able do something else other than hit the grab button. even DDD doesn't just sit there spamming grab on those 5 characters the whole match, he can do more and should know how to otherwise he's probably losing the match.
When I brought this up I was referring to Dedede, I said lots of times that I don't know a lot about the IC's. Why should he do something else? If you approach he shield grabs, if you don't he'll just come after you. Regardless of character you can't stay away from the match the whole time (unless your MK or something.)

No, i don't know how to preform each and every advance technique w/o thinking, do you? many of them i can do though, more so for characters i main than ones i don't, but i know what they are.
If you think AT's make a game, then I'm showing there's depth beyond what you know. If I know AT's is irrelevant. To think that a new player could beat someone who's good at the game isn't passing here, you have the wrong idea. Even in Pong that doesn't happen.

the universal AT's in melee helped all characters. better characters benefited more, not so good characters not so much. but with them certain character weaknesses could be overcome or strengths enhanced.
If the better characters got the most benefit from it, why are you talking about it? If that's true they should just destroy harder than they already did. Then a tier list would be established showing the worth of each character with the technique, nothing changed.

more people are around for brawl than the beginning of Melees competetive life, therefore the metagame should be progressing very fast and continuously, but it hasn't. why don't you tell me whats so newly added to brawl that benefits?
Because you can tell everything will be found out just because Brawl has more people playing it. Wing refreshing, cargo stage spike, cape glide, glide toss, infinite dimensional cape, Snake sliding, gliding, crawling, wall cling. I wasn't sure what you meant by the last sentance so I just named things that are useful.

their were really bad matchups in melee too. Sheik v. Bowser 10-0. that didn't stop the bowser mains from playing bowser did it? bad matchups are going to exist reguardless. Fox v Pikachu (brawl) 2-8 that doesn't stop the Fox mains
Is there something that could have been banned in those match-ups to make the match-up more fair and balance out each character's playability? Keep in mind that Pikachu isn't as already amazing as Dedede.
on Olimar, despite his recovery, Olimar himsef is still a very good character.
Was that targeted at me?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Of course I know the better player does not always win, that's why I'm discussing this. I've gone over the counter-picks issue earlier. Put simply, it's unfair to make someone else have to train with a counter-pick while someone else doesn't have to just because one player had the misfortune of Sakurai poorly balancing Dedede to make their best character bad against him. Banning it makes the match-up fair. Why is that bad? Much smaller things than this have been fixed into the rules.
Because that's not why things are banned, plain and simple. If the infinite worked on more than just those 5, I'll bet it would be banned. Until then, it's only seen as 5 bad matchups.

Note that all random occurences are avoidable and therefore fair according to you people. Extremely one-sided match-ups are bad for competition too, because I want to main someone who has moderatly bad match-ups, I have to know that doing good with that character is near impossible because I'd have to pick up a new character to do it? Banning it would prevent that.
The matchup isn't near impossible. People win these matchups all the time because they know to be wary of them. MK is more of a threat for most of these characters than DDD. You just need to know the matchup well and have experience with it.

Yeah, because items are real serious. The better player usually wins with items on, usually the better player wins sudden death, but it's banned because "usually" isn't good enough. By "no infinites" everyone has in mind, no re-grabs because it's impossible to do an infinite even if they are allowed. You don't need to do it infinitely, you just need to do it until a back-throw would kill them.
So you kill DDD's chaingrab instead when there are perfectly good strategies on trumping the infinite?
You don't seem to be grasping this concept.

Why ban a clearly beatable strategy? The matchup isn't nearly as bad as it's being made out to be.

Olimar is still expected high-tier despite having his recovery as his weakest point. Olimar can handle every character match-up without having one of them destroy him. Yeah, because an infiniting Dedede can be beaten with "a little practice."
Your point? I never questioned Olimar's viability as a tourney character, I was using his bad recovery as an example. I would've just as soon used Link's. Keep my quotes in context.

Yes, practice is how you beat DDD. Know the matchup and what not to do. Your playstyle has to change, but it's not like you cannot win. It's just a bad matchup.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Close-range attacks will get you grabbed. If she's just flat-out bad then she has a hard time not getting grabbed by Dedede. Which is why I brought it up.
by this logic the IC's should be god tier and only those who can camp can defeat them. also Bowsers worse than her and can still beat DDD. and you learn not to get grabbed.

When I brought this up I was referring to Dedede, I said lots of times that I don't know a lot about the IC's. Why should he do something else? If you approach he shield grabs, if you don't he'll just come after you. Regardless of character you can't stay away from the match the whole time (unless your MK or something.)
simple. he won't move, i'll shoot. he starts throwing, lets see who camps better. he closes in, spaced Dtilt is safe to poke at him, i could also jump back Zair, or escape to the other side of the stage. and since when does MK stay away from people?

If you think AT's make a game, then I'm showing there's depth beyond what you know. If I know AT's is irrelevant. To think that a new player could beat someone who's good at the game isn't passing here, you have the wrong idea. Even in Pong that doesn't happen.
AT help deepen the metagame. new players rarely beat anyone who's good at a game. in fact lets stay off of the new player vs expirenced player. and only take into accout skilled players. its been repeated enough best player doesn't always win.

If the better characters got the most benefit from it, why are you talking about it? If that's true they should just destroy harder than they already did. Then a tier list would be established showing the worth of each character with the technique, nothing changed.
simply pointing out that all character benefitted. they did become harder, but still not unbeatable.

Because you can tell everything will be found out just because Brawl has more people playing it. Wing refreshing, cargo stage spike, cape glide, glide toss, infinite dimensional cape, Snake sliding, gliding, crawling, wall cling. I wasn't sure what you meant by the last sentance so I just named things that are useful.
most of those things are character specific. wall cling has no big use. MK "IDC"= stall.

Is there something that could have been banned in those match-ups to make the match-up more fair and balance out each character's playability? Keep in mind that Pikachu isn't as already amazing as Dedede.
from your pov, Shiek CG bowser could have been banned, but it wasn't. . even w/o it sheik could still **** bowser. the bowser players learned to get around it. there was no need to ban it cause it was all over the place on multiple characters, and avoidable for skilled players. also keep in mind that DDD doesn't **** more than 5 characters with a CG, there are also character better than DDD. Pikachu is very good, my mention of him is like DDD against bowser, CG or not Pika still has advantage over Fox.

Was that targeted at me?
that was just a quick point out to Olimar. 1 negative point doesn't automatically make a character bad or good. that was the only point.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
The scrubby, Ban-happy nature of this is ridiculous.
please close this thread.
Sorry for double post, but it was neccesary:

I've been trying to close this thread for like 10 extra pages now but so far it ain't happening. in fact its kinda a misplaced thread now anyway. its no longer "Infinites: why exactly are they allowed?" its now "DDD CG: why can't this be banned?" will you petition for it's closure with me?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
no one really. just asking other people who come in saying close the thread to petition with me thats all. it was fun for a while but now its starting to loop itself in a very boring way. i should just go ask a mod can the thread die now. b/c its kinda moving off topic, and is singleing out only a small portion of what the original thread was intended to discuss.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for the thread close.

@Veggi

If you want to play a character without any hard counters (read: rediculously stacked matchups) then the only characters you can play are Snake, Metaknight, and G&W. Those three are probably the only three characters capable of soloing a tournament and winning, and that's only if the G&W can handle a really good metaknight and the Snake can handle a good Olimar or DDD. Every other character has counters so hard that they won't be able win a tournament going solo. This is Brawl, that's how it works. The infinite grab is just one tool used by one character that's really effective in two matchups, and helps three matchups a little bit. 5 matchups out of a game that has 1296 possible matchups if my math is correct is not ban-worthy. That is less than .5% of the matchups that are affected. Even if this technique was as easy as having an insta-win button on your controller for those matchups it still wouldn't be banned because you can avoid those matchups. Learn to predict what your opponent will do at the character select screen, and you'll start metagaming.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
Veggi won't listen to anyone because he's at that stage where he thinks he's being completely reasonable and we're being pigheaded, snobby idiots when really he just has to get over that skill barrier that makes what we're saying more reasonable.

I do hope this thread is closed soon, because all it's turned into is every few pages a new player taking up the torch of banhappy righteousness.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
This thread is now a failure pile in a sadness bowl.

Cookie to whoever gets the reference without googling it.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
The ONLY defining factor in whether or not infinites will be limited or banned are whether they're they centralize the highest level of competitive play.

Until little scrubs start beating Azen, M2K, and Chillin with DDD cause they can infinite there's no reason that they should be banned or limited. In the case that this DOES start to happen, the best you can hope for is a percentage cap for each infinite (like say, a 70% limit on consecutive grabs with no inbetween attacks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom