• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improved Sonic Footstool Combo

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I saw a Shiek video of this and gave it a try with Sonic. It does work with Sonic (Only tryed on lvl 9's but it should work on humans as well) When you do this you must fastfall the nair, in this video I actually did it kinda slow. The nair is probably the hardest part. When you get that part proceed with a jab lock. If anyone else can test this on a human, it will be appreciated.

I don't think this is old right?

Improved
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx9hQ9vnFlw

Old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Pp_0CIrRU

This can be done also with ASC.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I would have to try. Getting a job lock at high level play is HARD.

Scrubs don't tech, making huge opportunities, but I feel like there would be enough time to respond before the nair

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I would have to try. Getting a job lock at high level play is HARD.

Scrubs don't tech, making huge opportunities, but I feel like there would be enough time to respond before the nair
In that video yes. Getting out before that Nair I think would be easy. But I honestly made an error and didn't fastfall that Nair quick enough. So I think its possible to pull this off in high level play. A tournament is coming up on the 26th of july. I'm going full Sonic and I'll try this out there.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
try fastfalling.

in most of the other footstool combos, there has to be a fastfall nair. If you can execute it faster than that, then even the saviest of pros will get hit with it because they won't expect it.

NNID
MasterHavik
What I'm about to say might sound stupid, but I think when you get the jab lock off you can't get out it. In less there some type DI away from it. It mgiht work in high level paly, but the hard is making sure your foe doesn't shield it, and leave you open an attack.

dark_Illusion_hokage

Smash Apprentice
You it's works in real play, i have recently started finding ways for sonic to jab lock this one works in battle.
Also you might want to add into jab lock on the thread title because most sonic know of the regular footstool jump combo.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Haven't tried it yet, but a few points:

- Remember you can do SH footstools, so that can save you alot of time

- I'm feeling like any non-footstool move can make it possible for someone to tech out of this - like I know that if you do FSJ>spring, the spring will make it so the person can tech the fall.

- @KASR: Actually, you can SDI the hits to screw up the person who's doing the jab lock. Smash DI is when you tap at the 'same time' you get hit, and it slides your character around. Try it with a smartbomb and you'll see what I mean.

- Does this work at 90+%? IMO that's really the best time to be able to pull this off, so you can go for a smash kill after the jab lock.

[edit]

screw it, early N-air (weak hit)> jab lock works at high % lol

NNID
MasterHavik
Haven't tried it yet, but a few points:

- @KASR: Actually, you can SDI the hits to screw up the person who's doing the jab lock. Smash DI is when you tap at the 'same time' you get hit, and it slides your character around. Try it with a smartbomb and you'll see what I mean.

[edit]

screw it, early N-air (weak hit)> jab lock works at high % lol
I just try it, and it work. I can do a jab lock, and conuter a jab lock. Thanks to Tenki.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
This reminds me a lot of the perfect spindash combo. I guess the added benefit of this is that if they manage to tech the foot-stool the spring should hit them and put them back into hit-stun and make them vulnerable to the dair and further comboing.

I'll definitely practice this.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You can't tech footstools. You also can't tech the spring after you hit the ground, since it acks like a "jab."

The dair isn't supposed to hit them, just get you back on the ground.

But I'm glad to see that I'm not the only guy who thought of this (well, technically you thought of it first, I guess I just reminded you.) Glad to see that it has real match aplications too.

samper

Smash Cadet
Wow...that's pretty cool, I'll have to try that out one day. I do have one question though. Now that you have the timing down how useful do you think this combo is/how often can you land it on people? I guess like anything else you can't try to use it too much, but I'd like to know how often you can actually land it when the opportunity presents itself.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Basically anytime that you'd hit an opponent with a side B hop, you'd be able to do this (provided there's no platforms in the way. The problem is when the opponent starts getting to defensive, as side B is not exactly a stellar approach method. But it's a great way to turn the momentum around.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This looks amazing. Stuff like this is what makes Sonic such an awesome character, and it actually looks like it could be pulled off if your opponent isn't expecting it since the movement is just so fast.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Huh, well, I heard from Yuna that you could tech a footstool and Yuna seems most insistent on the point.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ maybe if you fall long enough to get out of the 'footstun'
--------
We should totally turn this into a jablock thread.

On a footstool note, so I found this pretty idiotic situational death juggle from 40%, thanks to a random wifi game vs Ophelia.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
^ maybe if you fall long enough to get out of the 'footstun'
--------
We should totally turn this into a jablock thread.

On a footstool note, so I found this pretty idiotic situational death juggle from 40%, thanks to a random wifi game vs Ophelia.
Where he 3 stocked me cause online failz :(

samper

Smash Cadet
So do you all think that this set up (or any other jab lock set ups) is something that every Sonic player should be able to do consistently or is it just something that's nice to know?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^I'd say it's actually useful and practical enough where doing it consistently is pretty key. There are of course counter-pick stages that can screw you over here, but in tournament play a lot of stages will allow you to make pretty good use of this set-up. Really, unless someone is concentrating on avoiding a side-b like you avoid getting grabbed by IC, the opportunity is bound to pop up eventually. And it just doesn't work for a Sonic to give up an opportunity to get +30% and a free f-smash simply because they weren't technically skilled enough to pull it off.

dark_Illusion_hokage

Smash Apprentice
^I'd say it's actually useful and practical enough where doing it consistently is pretty key. There are of course counter-pick stages that can screw you over here, but in tournament play a lot of stages will allow you to make pretty good use of this set-up. Really, unless someone is concentrating on avoiding a side-b like you avoid getting grabbed by IC, the opportunity is bound to pop up eventually. And it just doesn't work for a Sonic to give up an opportunity to get +30% and a free f-smash simply because they weren't technically skilled enough to pull it off.
Well today i was on Battle field and thought i would never be able to pull off an jab lock, but if your opponent is standing on a ledge (near the end) whether they block or take a nair they will fall down and it will set them up for a jab lock.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
30%? It can do a lot more than that.
Don't forget that the opponent is forced to stand up at the end (whether they want to or not), so you can tack on a free spincharge combo for an extra 30% or so every time. The setup does 9%, and the lock can do anywhere from 4%-50%, depending on how much stage you have to do it on. Then you tack on the spincharge combo at the end and you've got your self a free 40-90% combo.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
SonicWave, that's why I had a + sign in front of the number :/
I'm well aware that you can do more than 30% with this but let's say you footstool them on a small platform or near an edge, chances are you're only going to get about 30%. Still, you should be able to get at least that much.

Zeal, yeah that's true enough. But it seemed like an easy thing to verify, and I'm too lazy to do it myself so I just assumed Yuna was right.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think you guys are giving jab lock too much damage. IMO it's easy to SDI out of a jablock after like 2-3 jabs, or at least to screw up the spacing so the jab misses, or so the guy doing the jab lock does a tilt by accident.

[edit]
@izzy's next post:
touché

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
It is still technically a lock Tenki. Even if they DI away from you it won't be enough to avoid your jab as long as you don't panic and smash the control stick or something.

Tenki

Smash Hero
and if they SDI toward you?

Sonic's first jab moves forward, so it closes the distance until they actually get behind you.

Or is it possible to pivot and jab with little lag?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's entirely possible to pivot and jab with no lag, not just little.

And actually, they can't get behind you. They can't move past your body. At least, it hasn't happened to me, so I could be wrong.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think anyone would risk EXTENDING the amount of time they're getting jab-locked by trying to DI into you.

EDIT: I'd also be interested to know if you could run past your opponent, side-b into him again when he gets up, and start jab locking him again back across the stage :O
Or just do the perfect spin-dash combo instead.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think anyone would risk EXTENDING the amount of time they're getting jab-locked by trying to DI into you.

EDIT: I'd also be interested to know if you could run past your opponent, side-b into him again when he gets up, and start jab locking him again back across the stage :O
Or just do the perfect spin-dash combo instead.
Its difficult to jab lock JanuS, he DI so fast for me to continue after 3-4 jabs

Anyways, this is a thing I'll practice. Seems to be useful...

Excuse my ignorance guys, but what is the perfect spin-dash combo? Nothing related with the ASC one? :dizzy:

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I was trying it out tonight, I couldn't really get it going. I had a nasty one in teams, but it was the only one i was able to pull off.

It was on a ROB, that ****ing stupid *** character. I paused the game after and screamed "RECOVER FROM THAT MOTHER ****ER".

ROB is gay

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Anthinus, to answer your question, you spin dash, spin dash jump, foot stool, up-b, dair, aerial.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Never got hit with a jab lock, but can you TECH out of a jab lock?

BTW, the improved jab-lock video is AWESOME!!!

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I was trying it out tonight, I couldn't really get it going. I had a nasty one in teams, but it was the only one i was able to pull off.

It was on a ROB, that ****ing stupid *** character. I paused the game after and screamed "RECOVER FROM THAT MOTHER ****ER".

ROB is gay
sry 4 the 2x post, but HAHAHAHAHA!

Top Bottom