• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impossible Gainesville Tournament (No date)

Masky

Smash Master
We (Gainesville brawl players) are interested in hosting Brawl tournaments, so I've done some research on how to rent some space at UF and found out that it's really cheap and easy for students to get really nice and big space. I was told they even provide TVs if they're requested.

Before I go and do all the registration stuff, how many people would be able to come? I think we'd be able to attract a decent amount of locals through flyers and word-of-mouth and crap but we'd like to see you all join us as well.

(This tournament would be Brawl singles + doubles btw, though there'll probably be a Melee TV or something on if people want it)

So please post if you'd be interested in attending and state how many people would come with you if any. Hopefully enough interest will be generated and we can hold a successful and fun tournament. :)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
gainesville is only alittle under 2 hours from orlando...thats less than the drive to brawl wars by like 10-15 minutes.

Id happily come to your tourney. Not only did i go to UF for 2 years so its nice to revisit, my best friend lives there still (I think Tivoli apartments on 13th street). Plus, i get to eat that that yellow mexican stand near campus that sells the best burritos of all time. Being that place, fliers should attend a crapload of locals too. You should also go tell the gaming club about it..thats another 10-15 people that would come, since they all play brawl on Fridays anyway.

Zergum

Smash Cadet
I'd def go, but i'd prefer it was a Gville only tourney excluding Sboards so we could get $$. I'm too poor for this kind of "open" tourney.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Just make it official and make the thread and whatnot masky. I'll be there

Masky

Smash Master
There's still some small technicalities that need to be worked out involving getting the room (which will affect things like door fee, etc) but everything will be settled by tomorrow, so I'll make the topic then... but yeah, we're definitely going to be holding this tournament

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
whatever happened with the whole, "you cant gamble" bs?
We're still trying to find a table that we can deal money under :laugh:

OR the risky alternative is that we keep the brackets and everyone who entered the tournament would pay up at a later tourny. I don't know if I can hold people accountable though...they might procrastinate on it forever.

If we did the alternative, I'll buy some neat prizes for top 3 to take home.

Masky

Smash Master
This tournament isn't going to happen on 10/25 since there's some kind of event going on at UF that would cause a lot of locals to not be able to attend. I don't see any empty dates until the end of November so it looks like there won't be a tournament here until then at least unless if some weekend frees up :/

Masky

Smash Master
that's thanksgiving weekend... so I'll probably be visiting home in SFL :/

Looking closer though, the tournament on 11/22 (actually on 11/21) is in Pensacola which is like 5 hours away in the panhandle and has in its rules "BANNED: spamming" so I think I'm going to shoot for that date if there are no objections

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2

Looking closer though, the tournament on 11/22 (actually on 11/21) is in Pensacola which is like 5 hours away in the panhandle and has in its rules "BANNED: spamming" so I think I'm going to shoot for that date if there are no objections
oh yea. for some reason i was thinking thanksgiving was the 3rd thursday of november.

well, just as a warning, brawl gigs may be on 11/22, since it is the 3rd saturday of the month. But if they dont have it this date, ill come

HolyChef

Smash Ace

wheres the link to this on smashboards? or is this the same one i saw on smashbrostournaments.com?

mc4

Smash Journeyman
hey whats up, i'm definitely there i just need the time and place, and how in if its for money gbtm(get back to me)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
so...you shooting for november 22nd? cause that would be an amazing date and id definitely come :laugh:

mkGmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL (for
Mooney, you're dumb. Something only requires three things to be considered gambling...

1. Consideration (your entry fee)
2. Risk (possibility of not placing)
3. Reward (money from placing)

What we do is illegal, but it is highly unlikely that we will ever be charged for it. I've only seen landlords and school officials have real problems with it. Smash tourneys are illegal in the same way that cake raffles at Girl Scouts meetings are illegal. You don't see cops shutting them down and dragging 8-year-old girls off to juvy, right?

Water :027:

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Holding smash tourneys deffinatly isn't illegal. Its not gambling. There is no chance. By entering it you agree to paying the entry fee, and you understand that you may not win.

as far as reward goes....how the **** does that count as gambling. All of the money gathered from entry fees is divided between x number of players.

My school has held multiple video game tourneys, and I've brought this up before to them.

The biggest smash tourney series in the nation has even been on the news, explaining what was going on. Police officers guard the premises at night time durring housing. They know what is going on. Why didn't they bust anybody?

I'll even have other TO's post here if you are so convinced smash is gambling.

Frames

DI
smash isn't gambling

during fast 1 i had cops come on 2 of the 4 days for different reasons and both times they asked what i was doing and i told them how it worked and that people were getting money and stuff and they thought it was cool

gambling by definition requires you to place money on the outcome of an event that you cannot directly control, smash you can either win or lose depending on who has more skill

poker is similar in that skilled players will win, but because there is the dealing of cards in a random matter, and that players are betting on the hope that they will acquire good cards, that makes it gambling, since there are factors that the players cannot directly control

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
Umm...you both are partially right, Frames, you're correct on the definition...but what we do is still considered "gambling" just not in the form that they're putting it in, BUT WHY THE &*(# DID THE CONVERSATION GET TURNED INTO THIS? JESUS i feel like a ****** for posting this but whatever, faqs

Masky

Smash Master
so...you shooting for november 22nd? cause that would be an amazing date and id definitely come :laugh:
I kinda forgot about this tournament idea but I'll find out tomorrow if it's possible to do it on the 22nd, if they say it's okay then I'll do it

gainesville tourney would be cool for melee
This tournament can be Brawl+Melee if someone who plays Melee (preferrably from Gainesville) volunteers to run the Melee tournament. That is, if I can secure a room for the 22nd.

Top Bottom