• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here! Hyrule Warriors will definitely be one of the games I'd get first whenever I get my Wii U! DKC Tropical Freeze and Smash to of course.

Here's hoping we'll soon be able to assault all these bad newcomers with huge swords and spears! ^^

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I still don't think it's the weapon I would've picked for Impa, but that being said... she's going to rock hardcore. In the Warriors games I always enjoy the anime-sized sword wielders.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still don't think it's the weapon I would've picked for Impa, but that being said... she's going to rock hardcore. In the Warriors games I always enjoy the anime-sized sword wielders.
No actually, I was quite surprised to. But embraced the idea soon enough, cause of the way she uses it! I mean, it doesn't even looks like she'll swing the blade around with her arms a lot, but also using her legs. She'll fight with a huge, oversized sword yet still is agile. That'll make for an amazing playstyle for sure!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oooh, I need to find this footage of her fighting.
Unfortunately there isn't much. But what I've seen from pics, it seems very much like Impa sometimes swings her sword with her legs.

Then there's also the way she throws her sword in this trailer:

It'll very likely mean a wicked playstyle in Smash!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bumping with more pics I recently found of Impa in Hyrule Warriors:

Also, some fan art:

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Impa is awesome and I fully support her inclusion in SSB4. Really I'd rather they put her as Sheik's replacement, but people love their Sheik.

At least if she isn't in Smash I can main her in Hyrule Warriors.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Sure. I can support Impa:

:troll:

Seriously, though, I can't wait to use her in Hyrule Warriors. She looks awesome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's great how many things Hyrule Warriors fixed for Impa actually. It sometimes felt like I've been in this Impa hype alone during all the Smash speculation. Even if there where quite many people wanting Impa, not that many where as vocal about. Maybe it's also cause I made the topic controversial, cause I wasn't objected at all for sacrifising Sheik. Which I still find weird, as people before nearly didn't have as much problems with other "potential replacements". For example, quite a lot of people at some point supported Chrom > Ike, and Zoroark > Lucario.

Oh well, Sheik is back. And let's not discuss "what might've happened" now. It's been made 100% clear to even the most doubtful of doubters that Impa and Sheik won't have to, and likely won't remotely even fight similar to each other. So no need to cut Sheik, unless Impa of course shows up in a game like Zelda Wii U, and fights without weapon like in Skyward Sword. Then, I could still see it happen that Impa would replace Sheik in the next game. Especially now with the split up of Zelda and Sheik, and that OoT (HOPEFULLY) won't be ported again... For a long time.

Anyway, think that with Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors, a warrior-styled Impa will be the staple design for Impa. Which was also a point that people loved to make against her. Have faced too many jokes about Old Impa and Fat Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am feeling especially confident lately due to all the Skyward Sword representation. Now it's also confirmed that Zelda Wii U won't be totally single player... It really gives me hope for Impa to be playable even in that game! Or at least, am speculating it'll be her above any other excisting character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just the whole style of her fighting and all makes me like the character even more than before! Let me also link what I posted in the Rate The Chances thread about her chances:
Impa:
Chance: 70%
I really do view her as highly likely. Ever since Melee, Zelda hasn't had a decent, "true" newcomer. And since Mario and Pokémon got one whilst not absolutely needing it, I could see the same happen with Zelda. Compare Rosalina to the rest of the Mario cast for example. Or Greninja with Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario, or even Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. Impa might not indeed be as important as Link, Zelda or Ganondorf. But she surely is the next big thing in Zelda after them. Note how she was revealed as playable in Hyrule Warriors before even Zelda? Think that's a pretty big deal. Also, if the King Kihunter and Psuedo Palutena trophies in the Direct where hints towards Ridley and Palutena then Fi would very likely be a hint for a Zelda newcomer. And I can't picture anyone but Impa. Her style of fighting would fit Smash extremely well and would make her a popular pick, despite people knowing her. Female character to, and Sakurai now especially seems more keen on adding them. Zelda and Donkey Kong Country are the biggest series of Nintendo left without a new character. If Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem get a new one character, so should they. And besides all this, I could see Impa get added as DLC if Hyrule Warriors turns out to be an succes. The fact that Hyrule Warriors will have a 'very big cast' shouldn't be a sign of treat for Impa. I think that outside of what has been shown (Impa, Zelda, Midna) and Ganon / Ganondorf there won't be too many familiar faces. I sure as hell won't expect to see Sheik, Tetra, Toon Link, Happy Mask Salesman, Saria, Tingle, King Zora or Fire Keeze becoming playable. They've shown new villains to for example. They may very well simply make charactes up. Or possibly give the Goddesses physical bodies again, Din, Faore and Nayru. So yes, Impa seems like a very underrated but highly likely character.

Want: 100%
Some should know by now.
What I find funny is that there are still people really holding out hope for Ghirahim. It came up all suddenly to! Before, the Tingle and Toon Zelda fanbases where the ones claiming their character was the likeliest Zelda newcomer. Well, with them out of the way, suddenly all people are rooting for Ghirahim, and Ganon.

Still think Impa has an easy edge over both characters.

I also do not get that people dismiss Hyrule Warriors for not being canon. It's basically The Legend of Zelda: Fanservice Edition. Why wouldn't they use content from that game?

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I also do not get that people dismiss Hyrule Warriors for not being canon. It's basically The Legend of Zelda: Fanservice Edition. Why wouldn't they use content form that game?
Except that Hyrule Warriors started development after the roster was finalized, so I doubt it. Unless Sakurai really took a liking to her after Skyward Sword, but I'd still think she's too similar to Sheik.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Just came to say, that I don't ever remember saying that I support Impa, but alas, I shall say it now (Even if we don't have a Supporters List for some odd reason) I support her. Although I still prefer Vaati

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hyrule Warriors came too late. If had come out a year earlier, it would have made much more of an impact.

There is still Smash 5 though. or DLC.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Except that Hyrule Warriors started development after the roster was finalized, so I doubt it. Unless Sakurai really took a liking to her after Skyward Sword, but I'd still think she's too similar to Sheik.
I agree with this. @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong I think you're vastly overestimating the impact HW can have on SSB4. SSB5, maybe, but the last Zelda game to be considered before SSB4 started development was Skyward Sword, in which Impa was very similar to Sheik.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Sheik semi-clone could easily work. Why wouldn't it? Sheik is now a 'full' character after all. And Sakurai designed Greninja's moveset to before Pokémon X / Y was even released. Literally, Sakurai made the Greninja moveset by using Ken Sugimori's artwork alone. No moves where given him either, just Water Shuriken. And even better: this moveset was created in ONE night. One night. 12 hours.

There's no reason not to believe Sakurai can make an unique Impa. She might not fight exactly as in Hyrule Warriors, but if art was shown of her before, and she had the sword in it, be sure that Sakurai could work with that. Agility + gaint sword. That's about as much, if not more than what he had for Greninja.

Also, Hyrule Warriors isn't even out. Why wouldn't Sakurai know about inside information about this game? Eiji personally provided Sakurai the models of Sheik and Ganondorf for Brawl. Why couldn't he give him information about upcoming games if Sakurai was looking for a Zelda newcomer?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
As much as i like Impa, if Hyrule Warriors does not include a Goron character, i would be disapointed.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
As much as i like Impa, if Hyrule Warriors does not include a Goron character, i would be disapointed.
I'm actually a bit worried that they might not include many non-human proportioned characters... I definitely hope there's a goron, zora, and a deku shrub.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hyrule Warriors came too late. If had come out a year earlier, it would have made much more of an impact.

Yeah. Talk about Impa's puntastic impact. :troll:

Anyway, with her appearance in Hyrule Warriors there's absolutely no excuse for "Sheik replacing Impa" bull****. Both characters can provide completely different movesets.

I'd be supporting her, but I think she is already too late for Smash 4. Might either hope for her as a DLC (assuming that will ever happen) or wait for the next Smash.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I don't normally follow character support threads because I'm fine with what I'm given in Smash most of the time.

But man, Zelda needs at least one more character, otherwise the series hasn't really changed since Melee. Yes, I believe Toon Link is pretty much Young Link with a fresh coat of paint, so he isn't really new to me.

As such I'm actually gonna support Impa because she makes the most sense besides maybe Vaati. To me, supporting her will be like supporting a sixth Zelda character in general.

What I'm trying to say is count me in @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong .

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All this new support is awesome! Really, I do believe that if Sakurai wanted to include Impa cause of Skyward Sword (even taking a look at OoT obviously - check the Gerudo Dessert stage) and informed the Zelda team about this decision he could've already gotten concept art for her. Like he did with Greninja and GameFreak apperantly.

I do believe that Impa will be included in Smash one day now, so that's a huge sign of relief for me actually. But I don't really believe they'd hype up Impa, out of ALL characters they will probably include in HW -even Zelda!- with such an early reveal. She is getting a sort of promotion in fame, likewise as characters as Rosalina, Lucario and others have before.

Am thinking she has quite a great shot! With today's update and all the heavy emphasis on Skyward Sword in items and throphies and enemies in Smash Run as Dark Nuts (who appear the same in HW) it just confirms my gut feeling about Impa being in Smash, as I felt the first time she was revealed in Skyward Sword.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
All this new support is awesome! Really, I do believe that if Sakurai wanted to include Impa cause of Skyward Sword (even taking a look at OoT obviously - check the Gerudo Dessert stage) and informed the Zelda team about this decision he could've already gotten concept art for her. Like he did with Greninja and GameFreak apperantly.

I do believe that Impa will be included in Smash one day now, so that's a huge sign of relief for me actually. But I don't really believe they'd hype up Impa, out of ALL characters they will probably include in HW -even Zelda!- with such an early reveal. She is getting a sort of promotion in fame, likewise as characters as Rosalina, Lucario and others have before.

Am thinking she has quite a great shot! With today's update and all the heavy emphasis on Skyward Sword in items and throphies and enemies in Smash Run as Dark Nuts (who appear the same in HW) it just confirms my gut feeling about Impa being in Smash, as I felt the first time she was revealed in Skyward Sword.
Actually I've supported Impa since day 1. She's been in the very first Zelda game canonically according to the manual, right? It's the same reason I've been wanting Toad for a long time. Fitting, as you've said earlier they're both protectors of the princesses.

I was also a controversial supporter for Impa being Sheik's replacement (I remember you liking a comment of mine that said so), but only because I wanted both Zelda and Sheik's moveset independent from one another since that's how we always used them, and Sheik being independent felt like a foreign idea. When Sakurai showed them separated, though, I realized it was pretty genius--it's not the same Zelda anymore, it's TWO: from Twilight Princess and from Ocarina of Time! It made me kinda happy, but also optimistic since now Impa could theoretically have an original moveset based in part on her Skyward Sword appearance.

Also, with all the Hyrule Warriors promotion she could use abilities from there, too, representing the Zelda spin-offs in part like Peach does with Mario's her f-smash.

In short, a great DLC candidate.

Speculator

Smash Ace
A Sheik semi-clone could easily work. Why wouldn't it? Sheik is now a 'full' character after all. And Sakurai designed Greninja's moveset to before Pokémon X / Y was even released. Literally, Sakurai made the Greninja moveset by using Ken Sugimori's artwork alone. No moves where given him either, just Water Shuriken. And even better: this moveset was created in ONE night. One night. 12 hours.
Impa's appearance in Hyrule Warriors is probably too diverse just to draw up from concept art, I think. Greninja's moveset is very much based on the ninja archetype found in countless anime and manga with some water-type elements thrown in. Unique in Smash, sure, but based on already existing material. It's easy to come up with a ninja-style moveset even without knowing anything about the character. There are also no attack animations in the Pokemon RPGs, so they're visually free to do whatever they like with his fighting style. Impa in HW looks like she has some very specific special moves as well as some new Sheikah powers we haven't seen before. I think Sakurai would have needed much more detail to create a faithful Impa fighter.

Like others have said, she's a solid candidate for DLC if that happens. I maintain that Tingle is higher in the pecking order when it comes to Zelda characters, but I strongly doubt they'd promote him from AT to playable within the same game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why would it be too complex? Sure, it's no average everyday fighting style. But not many characters fit this category in Smash anyway. Again, Greninja is a prime example. Sakurai made his moveset, while GameFreak didn't even decide on his moveset at the time! All outside of Water Shuriken.

Her moveset could be made to be partically a sword user, and partically a style similar to Sheik's. She could do tilts with kicks and the like, and swing her sword for her aerials and Smash attacks for example. Or mix them up completely. Sure Sakurai would be able to figure out how to handle a relatively thin framed woman with a gaint sword.

Am actually still surprised that the most people would rather expect Ghirahim to become playable, but not Impa. I really doubt they'd make him playable.

Also, nobody mentoined that the E3 demo had all 4 currently confirmed Zelda characters playable! Personally, I think this might hint to something. I doubt that they'd only hide Ganondorf. Mario didn't even had Peach playable in either version for example!

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Why would it be too complex? Sure, it's no average everyday fighting style. But not many characters fit this category in Smash anyway. Again, Greninja is a prime example. Sakurai made his moveset, while GameFreak didn't even decide on his moveset at the time! All outside of Water Shuriken.
I don't mean too complex for Smash, I mean too complex to make a moveset with based just on concept art. Like I said, Greninja wasn't too difficult because it's essentially a water-themed ninja moveset and there are no intricate attack animations in the Pokemon games.

There's a lot that Impa does in HW that you wouldn't really be able to tell from her concept art. I think in her CG artwork she isn't even holding her sword. No doubt he could have made a generic slow-style greatsword moveset just from that information, but I don't think that's what Sakurai would want to do as it wouldn't have ended up very true to Impa's HW appearance. Impa is capable of leaping into the air and performing attacks, and it's those specific animations that Sakurai would want to replicate in Smash. That's just going into her physical fighting style, too - there's no way Sakurai would have been able to accurately recreate her water arrow powers just from stationary artwork. He'd really need to see Impa in action. Her combat style is detailed in HW, compared to combat in Pokemon where it's really just a list of moves and your imagination.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, keep in mind, Link and Zelda are also Smash characters and they are playable in Hyrule Warriors to. It shouldn't really be that much of a challenge, especially if Sakurai already gained some instructions on how she was planning to fight. She simply relies on her agility and high jumping to deliver more powerful sword blows. There's a lot which can be done with such fighting style.

Water powers and what not could probably be skipped, or reworked otherwise. It doesn't really need to look all flashy as it does in HW anyway. Link also doesn't do all these crazy moves in Smash what he's doing in HW for example. Still, he moves and acts very much like Link in HW. And in Smash. Impa would still be able to transit over well to Smash. She might be a little slower overall maybe, but it'll still play and feel like Impa.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That's What I've Been Telling You All!

Edit: Ah, this is the Impa thread? Guess I'll actually post something related to Impa then. :p

I hope Hyrule Warriors gives individual characters their own stage scenarios/storylines! It'd be fun to have a few missions of Impa infiltrating enemy camps on her own, ninja style.

Not that the Warriors games are particularly subtle...

Pictured: Hanzo Hattori, famed Sengoku ninja, about to quietly assassinate 1,500 men on the battlefield.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Consider me a silent lurker/supporter. Impa is one of the few faces of Zelda not in Smash Brothers I'd gladly accept as possible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wonder how much effect Smash will have on the characters in Hyrule Warriors. We have seen that Zelda does seem to use the Goddess Spells as she does in Smash, Din´s Fire and Nayru´s Love have already been showcased I believe. Outside of that, I wonder if Ganondorf will also become playable, because of Smash. And if they´ll even include Toon Link, and if he´ll even be CALLED Toon Link. If so, I do believe there´s a strong case of Hyrule Warriors also influencing Smash. And no matter who might be added as playable characters, I view Impa as the most likely candidate for playable status in Smash.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Seems HW Impa uses a fictional style of swordplay that's inspired by Iaido, the Japanese art of drawing the sword from its scabbard, striking, and putting it back. It's infamous for the precision it requires.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This. Impa looks awesome in Hyrule Warriors and I really hope this starts a trend of multiple characters being playable in future games. On the upside Diddy, at least Impa finally escaped the role of an NPC, putting her in a lot better standing next time.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm interested in Hyrule Warriors but I'm beginning to get my doubts about it. When they showed Link, Zelda, Impa, and Midna I was super excited but then they started adding a bunch of new characters. I could see adding a few especially in the villians side but many don't even look like they're from the Zelda Universe.

I mean really?

With the exception of the great fairy most women are well clothed.

Then it seems they're adding characters from the Twilight Princess series. Hmm who would be good to play in a dynasty warriors game?

The resistance? You know the group of guys who supposedly helped you but you never saw them in action? Nah, lets put the bug girl Agatha in it instead.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm interested in Hyrule Warriors but I'm beginning to get my doubts about it. When they showed Link, Zelda, Impa, and Midna I was super excited but then they started adding a bunch of new characters. I could see adding a few especially in the villians side but many don't even look like they're from the Zelda Universe.

I mean really?

Then it seems they're adding characters from the Twilight Princess series. Hmm who would be good to play in a dynasty warriors game?

The resistance? You know the group of guys who supposedly helped you but you never saw them in action? Nah, lets put the bug girl Agatha in it instead.
They haven't announced all the characters yet. And, they said there would be a lot. So don't complain until you know for sure that they aren't in the game. Anyway, I'm just happy Impa is playable, and I love the new playable girl Lana.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I mean really?

The only two members who would really work well are Rusl and Ashei anyway. Shad and Auru aren't much of fighters. And both could very well still be in the game, we don't know the full cast yet. Plus most of the characters are based on the 3D Zelda games anyway so far.

But yeah, I'm glad Impa was the first playable character announced (other than the obvious Link). That was just too epic. I don't care that she wields a large sword, it works well. Maybe they can give her both a twin daggers and a katana as alternate weapons just to fit her original ninja appearance. I still think Impa would work very well in Smash Bros., and she could be made into a unique character that isn't a clone of Sheik. If we get a sixth Zelda character I really do think it'd be Impa.

Top Bottom