• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
They haven't announced all the characters yet. And, they said there would be a lot. So don't complain until you know for sure that they aren't in the game. Anyway, I'm just happy Impa is playable, and I love the new playable girl Lana.
I haven't heard anything offical on how many characters there would be. At E3 they didn't show that many slots available. Jump to 19:10 to see that there was only 11 slots available. If you could scroll down for more characters why was there an odd number being shown?

The only two members who would really work well are Rusl and Ashei anyway. Shad and Auru aren't much of fighters. And both could very well still be in the game, we don't know the full cast yet. Plus most of the characters are based on the 3D Zelda games anyway so far.

But yeah, I'm glad Impa was the first playable character announced (other than the obvious Link). That was just too epic. I don't care that she wields a large sword, it works well. Maybe they can give her both a twin daggers and a katana as alternate weapons just to fit her original ninja appearance. I still think Impa would work very well in Smash Bros., and she could be made into a unique character that isn't a clone of Sheik. If we get a sixth Zelda character I really do think it'd be Impa.
Shad I would think would play very much like Lana and Rusi is the only one you got to see do anything (which he used a bazooka to save Link). I would hope that the list would branch further than from just Twilight Princess. I would actually hope for a non-cannon Zelda mash-up. Kinda like Mario Kart but with Zelda characters and instead of racing you're slaying legions of enemies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have to admit, I'm actually a little worried about how they're going to portray Impa in HW... The female Warriors characters are often kind of, ah, silly. Kind of standard Anime depiction, a little shallow and weird to Western sensibilities. Anyway, I'm gonna stay optimistic until I see otherwise, but the worries are there.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I haven't heard anything offical on how many characters there would be. At E3 they didn't show that many slots available. Jump to 19:10 to see that there was only 11 slots available. If you could scroll down for more characters why was there an odd number being shown?

Shad I would think would play very much like Lana and Rusi is the only one you got to see do anything (which he used a bazooka to save Link). I would hope that the list would branch further than from just Twilight Princess. I would actually hope for a non-cannon Zelda mash-up. Kinda like Mario Kart but with Zelda characters and instead of racing you're slaying legions of enemies.
I don't remember when but they did say the game would feature 'many characters just like the dynasty warriors series'. And we don't know if the 11 slots meant anything or not.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

That wasn't Rusl, that was Auru. Either way, Rusl and Ashei are still the most notable members of the crew and the ones who'd be more likely to get playable status, and I don't think they'd add all four as playable characters either.

And I don't think those 11 slots are the entire roster. I'd be surprised if we had less than 20. Yes, a lot of "first-time" Warriors games have relatively small casts, future games tend to add more characters and reuse the assets of existing ones. This one is reusing tons of assets, though, since several of the known characters (Midna, Zant) are almost identical to prior portrayals, and all the enemies are slightly updated but still rehashed enemies from existing games. Even Argorok is back exactly the way he looked in Twilight Princess.

My guess is, if anything, the 11 slots are just the starting roster, but they had the remaining slots locked in the E3 demo.

Either way I still like Impa's portrayal. The only thing I don't like is her using Water Magic, she should be using Shadow Magic instead. If its based on her sword I won't care too much, but I don't think its based on her sword.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Usually, Warriors characters are separated into factions. It's possible that the 11 shown were just The Army of Light or some such. Also possible that it's just a random demo screen and doesn't mean much anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think that extra care has been done into Impa's design and the way she fights than most other characters, outside of maybe Zelda. Midna makes a lot of sense, as Wolf Link was fully playable in Twilight Princess. I actually think her riding another wolf is kind of lazy designing. Agathia is a joke character I feel (who even has her own support thread now :facepalm: ).

Good to see the Impa trailer in English to btw.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I really want Impa to be the 6th Zelda rep, with her SS design (young). I loved that design.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Just found this.

I also just heard Fi is playable. I don't know about this. I think she could be a good fighter but she was one of my least favorite characters in Skyward Sword. I like her less than Navi.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes I've seen the video already. Posted the Japanese one as soon as it got uploaded. Fi is an interesting choice for a playable character, but makes a ton more sense than Agitha does. Even though Impa really beats everyone in style for me as of now! Carrying such a big sword with that agility is still gonna make an amazing playstyle in Smash Bros. And I think she by far makes the best choice out of all possible Zelda characters due to her overall role in the series.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
"More sense" ≠ A Warriors game. :)
Sure, Agitha's a 10 year old girl who is obsessed with bugs... but that doesn't mean she doesn't slaughter thousands of enemies on a daily basis! What do you think she feeds her beetles? ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Who thinks that with today's character reveals Impa became A LOT more likely?

*raises hand*

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Who thinks that with today's character reveals Impa became A LOT more likely?

*raises hand*
I completely agree! Impa's chances just skyrocketed. It might mean she'd be a clone, but I don't care all that much. As long as Ganondorf is decloned I'd be fine with Impa being a clone of Sheik.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Impa deserves much more support, not because of Hyrule Warriors but because of her recurring appearances throughout the Zelda series. Her role in Skyward Sword was what made me really appreciate her and root for her. In my opinion, Impa is the next logical Zelda character to bring into the Smash roster, rather than Ghirahim who will soon be featuring in two games now that Hyrule Warriors is coming out in two months. He would be a pretty neat character, but I don't think he's as deserving as Impa.

EDIT: By the way, is there a support list? Cause if so, please add me! :)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Impa deserves much more support, not because of Hyrule Warriors but because of her recurring appearances throughout the Zelda series. Her role in Skyward Sword was what made me really appreciate her and root for her. In my opinion, Impa is the next logical Zelda character to bring into the Smash roster, rather than Ghirahim who will soon be featuring in two games now that Hyrule Warriors is coming out in two months. He would be a pretty neat character, but I don't think he's as deserving as Impa.

EDIT: By the way, is there a support list? Cause if so, please add me! :)
I agree. Personally, I think if any new Zelda rep gets in it should be Impa because of her central role throughout the series. I don't even care if she's a semiclone, I mean, clones are confirmed now anyway. Impa could still do quite a few things unique, heck, they could give her daggers as part of her moveset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Clone, semi-clone or unique Impa's chances are great by now. They seem to add a lot of 'recent' characters in it seems, outside of MegaMan and PacMan every newcomer is a relative 'fresh' face. Oh, and Little Mac sort of half-counts cause of the Wii Punch Out game. Impa plays a huge role in Skyward Sword, and now is featured in Hyrule Warriors. I think it;s not the end for her character development yet! And if Lucina and Robin can make it in, surely Impa won't be skipped.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, seeing as clones are back, guess we all are happy, right mates?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if Impa is a clone of Sheik like Lucina is a clone of Marth? I'd be disappointed... especially after Diddy defended Impa in the past 2 years about how unique Impa would be.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'd still much rather see Impa in as a unique character than as a clone. But, hey, I'd much rather see her in as a clone than not in at all, so there's that. Take what you can get, I suppose.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I could get behind impa if she has the move where she does a somersault to swing the sword she is holding between her legs.
That is my condition. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Sakurai was ever serious about adding 'Toon Sheik', he could very well follow up this idea with Impa. Impa would make a much more suitable Sheik clone than Tetra would cause of her far longer legs and overall frame. So this is a very good thing for Impa. Even IF she'd turn out to be a clone of Sheik this time, it could be that next time she'll be revamped heavily as to fit her Hyrule Warriors self.

I'm quite optimistic that Impa and Ganondorf could be revealed togheter. One of them could end up being a semi-clone, while the other is "mostly" unique. I sure hope that Impa won't be a full clone of Sheik. But Sheik did have some moveset changes, so it could be justified. Burst Grenades could be replaced with Deku Nuts with almost the same animation for example.

I do hope that Impa turns out unique, but I wouldn't be too upset if she's a clone or semi-clone of Sheik. I'll just take whatever I can in this.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
I did not know there was an Impa thread, I didn't think there was all that much support for her.
She has been one of my most wanted newcomers since Skyward sword. I like her in HW but very much prefer her SS design.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I prefer the look of Skyward Sword to, but only slightly. What I really like about the Hyrule Warriors Impa is that they really took a good effort to mix the designs of Ocarina and Skyward Impa. She looks very badass as a result. But I to do prefer the young Impa from Skyward Sword. But seeing as Link and Zelda both got Skyward Sword costume as DLC in Hyrule Warriors, here's hoping they'll do the same for Impa. I could also see it happening that if Impa where to make it in Smash, she'd get alternative costumes based on her Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time models.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey can you add me to the support list, Impa has always been my most wanted female potential newcomer. I just really hope they don't make her a complete clone, because she has so much potential outside of sheiks moveset with all her magic and what not.

Y'know I wasn't planning on buying Hyrule Warriors, but then they showed Impa and I got all hyped for it. Still waiting on a Playable Zora or Goron in that game though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She really does have the potential to be nothing like Sheik at all. But if Sakurai goes Skyward Sword on her- she really could go any direction. Personally, I think she could borrow a few moves from Sheik but mainly have her own style. A playstyle I envisioned for example by observing her fighting style in Hyrule Warriors would be Impa using her gaint blade only for her Smash and Aerial attacks (she really uses a lot of jump strikes with it in Hyrule Warriors).

Her Aerials would be both quick and strong, and her Smash attacks relatively powerful. All attacks with her blade have at least the range of Ike's attacks and cover her whole body. Her Special attacks would consist of the Water Spears she uses in Hyrule Warriors, throwing Deku Nuts (working kinda similar to Sheik's Burst Grenades but with more hitstun), using the Barrier from Skyward Sword and a recovery attack. As she holds her blade in it's scabard most of the time, her tilt attacks consist of quick kicks like Sheik's (she could possibly borrow Sheik's F and U Tilts, that'd be amazing).

I think this would make an extremely fun playstyle and a character that would become instantly popular with the Smash fanbase.

Hong

The Strongest
Shame Impa doesn't get appreciation. She would have the coolest design in Smash Bros, if she came with her HW or SS look.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I just vastly prefer Ghirahim over her as the Zelda newcomer, but if she is in, then yay. Either way, I would get a rep from one of my favorite games in the Zelda series (assuming she would have her Skyward Sword design). I would love if Impa had her cool sword from Hyrule Warriors, but her design from Skyward Sword. Kind of a mix between the two Impas.

Last edited:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
By the way, Diddy, do you have some from of precognition? Impa was never referenced as the leader of the Hylian Knights prior to Hyrule Warriors, but you've thought she was associated with them for a lot longer than that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shame Impa doesn't get appreciation. She would have the coolest design in Smash Bros, if she came with her HW or SS look.
How you mean no appreciation? Because of her not being a trophy in Melee or Brawl? Melee hardly had much throphies for Zelda anyway, and most came from Majora's Mask. In Brawl, all Zelda throphies where model rips from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, two games Impa was missing from (the two MAJOR ones to be exactly, but there where good reasons to exclude her from those). Impaz was a throphy however. So that does count as a reference. Keep in mind, Diddy, R.O.B. and Ivysaur also got no trophies in Melee. Throphies don't really mean anything, especially as Impa grew most popular after Skyward Sword.
By the way, Diddy, do you have some from of precognition? Impa was never referenced as the leader of the Hylian Knights prior to Hyrule Warriors, but you've thought she was associated with them for a lot longer than that.
I thought it was a role that would fit her naturally. She seems a lot more able than Hyrule's knights, and held a sort of authority over them. For example, the knight guarding Death Mountain said Impa forbade anyone from entering the mountain without Zelda's premission. And I swear a Hyrule knight NPC in Ocarina of Time told something about Impa being cheif captain. Anyway, it's a very fitting role for her.

Also, with Sakurai's comment about Lucina's inclusion made me think that even if Impa where not to get in, she will more than likely become an alternative costume for Sheik.

However, something in the Lucina / Robin reveal trailer gave me a great hope for getting a similar trailer for Impa and Ghirahim. Impa perhaps serving as the 'less unique' newcomer aka the Lucina, and Ghirahim being the Robin. I had a similar idea for Dixie Kong (Diddy's Lucina) and King K.Rool (the Robin).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant community-wise around these parts. :>
Greninja, Villager, Rosalina, Mii, Pac Man and Lucina all wheren't the most popular suggestions either. I still see Impa as the frontrunner for getting the spot as a Zelda newcomer. If we can get two Mario princesses, two Mario brothers, two Links, three blue haired sword Lords, three StarFox characters, three Kongs (most likely), two PSI kids and three humanoid Pokémon (most likely) what exactly is wrong with two Sheikah?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I always thought of her as the Captain of the Guard... the Sheikah were charged with protecting the royal line, so having Impa in OoT as the leader of the Royal Guard (or even as the unofficial, behind the scenes leader) seems reasonable. I'm still super surprised they didn't make Impa a ninja-type character in HW... I bet Sheik will be a playable ninja in HW.

I'm pretty amped up for HW! I'm enjoying seeing new screenshots of HW maybe even more than Smash ones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not sure if Sheik is even gonna be in Hyrule Warriors. Would be cool if she was, but am not expecting her to.

Anyway Hyrule Warriors is looking to be a bigger project than many people expected it to be. And with the possibility of a Zelda newcomer being much higher, as well as the 'hint' towards a Skyward Sword character... I am really getting hopeful for Impa. Sure, many say Ghirahim has "better chances" (which I always disagreed with) but who's to say we won't get both? Lucina and Robin opened up the door for this. And I'd be surprised if there was not a Zelda newcomer this time around.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I also just heard Fi is playable. I don't know about this. I think she could be a good fighter but she was one of my least favorite characters in Skyward Sword. I like her less than Navi.
Navi was tolerable... at least she stayed out of my way most of the time after I left Kokiri Forest... Fi interrupted me all the time and she literally made me fall asleep too often that I stopped playing Skyward Sword altogether. I stopped playing after clearing the second dungeon... oh, and the motion controls didn't help either... I want to use my classic controller.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Impa's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hybrid between Zoner, Speedster and Bruiser is what I'm imagining for HW Impa.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't expect HW Impa, if its anyone it'd be SS Impa. I'd say Speedster/Resistor. I definitely think if Zelda does get a new rep, best pick is Impa, but unfortunately, likelihood is they'd base her on Sheik as much as possible. However, they may very well give Impa daggers and barriers to differentiate her a bit, while the real Zelda newcomer is... Ganondorf. Technically, since he'd have a complete moveset revamp. I fully disagree on the notion that Ghirahim is the best and mostlikely choice for Zelda, I think its Impa.

Or you could say, I agree with the people who disagree with that notion. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Resistor seems like an odd choice at first, but considering Impa's barrier from Skyward Sword (which I felt should be one of her abilities in HW) it makes a real lot of sense. Despite her probably being light weighted, it would be a very interessting part of her moveset. No lightweight character really WANTS to get hit, but Impa might put that as an advantage with her barrier.

I also disagree that Ghirahim is more likely than Impa. Hyrule Warriors marks his second appearance, but he's probably not even playable. And even if they went with Skyward Sword alone for inspiration, Impa still has the upperhand I feel.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Resistor seems like an odd choice at first, but considering Impa's barrier from Skyward Sword (which I felt should be one of her abilities in HW) it makes a real lot of sense. Despite her probably being light weighted, it would be a very interessting part of her moveset. No lightweight character really WANTS to get hit, but Impa might put that as an advantage with her barrier.

I also disagree that Ghirahim is more likely than Impa. Hyrule Warriors marks his second appearance, but he's probably not even playable. And even if they went with Skyward Sword alone for inspiration, Impa still has the upperhand I feel.
I disagree that Ghirahim probably isn't playable in Hyrule Warriors, I think all the human-sized villains are playable in other modes. That said, I don't think it helps him for Smash Bros. at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa was revealed as the first playable character along with Link. I really think this counts for something. Also, her moveset seems to have a lot of detail going for it, and doesn't really seem to draw on anything from the Zelda series specifically unlike the other characters.

Top Bottom