• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No problem with that at all. Impa could be the 'Ganondorf with Sword' which we all have hoped for so long.

Tingle being an AT again is also great news for Impa. LITERALLY no character now would stand in her way if a Zelda character has to be added. Which is great. I always said Impa was the likeliest, and was shunned by everyone. Am at least glad to know I was right all along. And seeing as I don't believe that only Mario, Pokemon and kid Icarus will get new characters, I still see it entirely possible that the very popular Zelda franchise will get this prominent character in.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was just thinking that Midna being an Assist Trophy is because she is in Hyrule Warriors and Sakurai knew this. Notice how Midna fights with her hand-like hair in Smash? That's how she fights in Hyrule Warriors. So maybe Sakurai was privy to Hyrule Warriors info before we all did... maybe Sakurai might see Impa and liked her enough to include her as a newcomer?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The only remaining Zelda newcomers of any significance are really Impa and Vaati (Ghirahim is an outlier but he isn't exactly the most popular and unlike the above two he was only in one game [so far]). If anything, we could be seeing one and then the other could be DLC, or we could see either/or as DLC (I'm hoping for both assuming neither make it on the default roster).

I think Impa's Hyrule Warriors design is the best Impa design, so regardless of how she's included, if she's included, I hope she's in with that design.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was just thinking that Midna being an Assist Trophy is because she is in Hyrule Warriors and Sakurai knew this. Notice how Midna fights with her hand-like hair in Smash? That's how she fights in Hyrule Warriors. So maybe Sakurai was privy to Hyrule Warriors info before we all did... maybe Sakurai might see Impa and liked her enough to include her as a newcomer?
This is something that I probably thought unconsiously, thanks for putting it out!

I still refuse to believe that Mario, Pokémon, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem are the only franchises who will get new characters. I still firmly believe that the highly popular Zelda and Donkey Kong Country franchises will at least get one new character to. Especially if we also are going to see Mewtwo.

Vaati isn't much compitition for Impa. He's been absent far too long. The only compitition I think Impa could face is this guy:

But then again, I feel like he's bound to be Ganondorf's Final Smash no matter what.

Hoping we'll see Ganondorf soon. The sooner he appears, the more room for Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm gonna settle for K.Rool myself, Dixie becoming DLC hopefully, but I also wouldn't mind the other way around.

One cannot disagree that outside of Mario and Pokémon, DKC and Zelda are Nintendo's biggest series left. They should get the newcomers.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Impa looks like a blast in Hyrule Warriors. Honestly between her, Midna and Zelda being added I can't see me playing as Link half as much as I expected to. Having never played Skyward Sword I find it peculiar that Impa has garnered some attention from me for Hyrule Warriors at the very least.

Impa, Bandana Waddle Dee and Captain Toad in a DLC character pack(at the very least) labelled 'Royal Guardians' would make Smash Bros. 4 for me. I promise I'd never ask for any other characters ever again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You haven't played Skyward Sword? Whoa, I began supporting Impa because of Skyward Sword. Look into her role in Skyward Sword, it's a very great and under-appriciated role by many (cause many haven't finished SS- and Impa's full role gets revealed in the end). And it really shouldn't have come as a suprise to see her become playable in Hyrule Warriors. In fact, Impa was already spotted far before she was confirmed, yet everyone here was defensive about it actually being here.

It's funny how amazingly likely this long overlooked character has became. And what an amazing playstyle she could add with her agility and broad sword. She'd be like a faster, but weaker version of Ike with great combo game as Sheik, quite damaging moves, but quite some end lag on a lot of her moves. Sort of like Greninja, how he has been reported to play like.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know that too, but I'm not sure Diddy would accept that or not. Diddy's pretty picky when it comes to Vaati.
True.

My problem with Vaati is that he SHOULD"VE been the Ganon of the Toon Zelda sub-franchise in my opinion. Sure, next to Ganondorf he might be the most prominent, but there've been other good, and creative Zelda villains in the meanwhile since Vaati's excistance. Ghirahim and Yuga for example. If Vaati was used instead of Ghirahim in Skyward Sword for example, I'd say he'd easily be a lock for this game. But... He's not being used at all, outside of Four Swords Zelda games, where Ganon is still the bigger bad. And sure Minish Cap, but I'm already at major issue with Sheik, who's appearance in Smash now is also due to a remake / re-release... I just won't accept the idea.

Vaati just needs a new, big role as the main villain. I'd accept him from that point on as a possibility. But not now. And even then, I still think having Ganon himself would be a better idea.

Now it's Impa's time I feel. She has gotten the revival role in Skyward Sword, and now is playable in Hyrule Warriors because of it. Smash seems like the next logical step if she keeps on appearing. And I have a feeling she will.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They are showing Hyule Warriors gameplay right now. No Impa though... Zelda looks awesome. Link.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Look at this: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/want-play-female-character-legend-zelda-let-nintendo-know/

Who would be the female character you guys think? Personally am thinking Zelda needs to stay the princess, but I know who else could work really well...

Impa might become the 'Player 2' of The Legend of Zelda.

Take that Sheik! :4sheik:
Um, no, We need someone SPEECHLESS. We need someone who can MIME. Link can't speak, but Zelda and Impa do. So, what we need is an entirely new character.
We need... A girl. Named "Tie". Who looks kinda like Link, but different.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Um, no, We need someone SPEECHLESS. We need someone who can MIME. Link can't speak, but Zelda and Impa do. So, what we need is an entirely new character.
Well, what I saw in that trailer is not Link... it is Tie. :rolleyes:

Yes, Tie is flat-chested. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa could very well be silent. It would suit her character. However, she cannot be 'female Link' due to being a Sheikah, but she can very well be second banana to Link.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Impa could very well be silent. It would suit her character. However, she cannot be 'female Link' due to being a Sheikah, but she can very well be second banana to Link.
But being the Link or the Tie to the player doesn't suit her either. And what we really need is the genders accurately accounted for, given how many female fans the Zelda series supposedly has. The female playable character shouldn't be second banana: She should be of equal importance to Link. And Impa is an established character within the series, who is too different from Link to immerse you in the Zelda world in quite the same way. Male and female fans should generally have the same experience, not entirely different ones. Both genders should have a ****load of weapons and tools, the Master Sword, the Triforce of Courage, etc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well what other option is there but 'female Link'? I doubt female Mario fans are so upset that Peach isn't a female Mario... Roles could be adjusted a little, but both have Princess Zelda as a 'mutual friend' so to say, so I still see it being possible.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Well what other option is there but 'female Link'? I doubt female Mario fans are so upset that Peach isn't a female Mario... Roles could be adjusted a little, but both have Princess Zelda as a 'mutual friend' so to say, so I still see it being possible.
Zelda is DIFFERENT from Mario. Mario was never meant to be the same person as the player. He was always meant to be this generic character that could represent a **** load of games and sell copies. Meanwhile, Link was always meant to be the player's Link to the screen. It's been outright said several times, and ties in with everything that Shigeru Miyamoto has said about Zelda: That it's all about you exploriing, discovering the world and it's locations, that it's all based on a trip Shigeru Miyamoto himself took into a cave. Link is MEANT to be immersive. Why shouldn't his female counterpart be?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well then why hasn't Link been replaced with a Mii by now? Only way to truely 'link' with Link is that he'd be as similar looking as yourself. But no, people have grown to love Link for what character he is. I doubt that can be easily replaced with a 'female Link' and get the same results. In which case, I think it might be better to have a character that is also well-known in the Zelda lore. And outside of Zelda, Impa is easily the best option.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Well then why hasn't Link been replaced with a Mii by now? Only way to truely 'link' with Link is that he'd be as similar looking as yourself. But no, people have grown to love Link for what character he is. I doubt that can be easily replaced with a 'female Link' and get the same results. In which case, I think it might be better to have a character that is also well-known in the Zelda lore. And outside of Zelda, Impa is easily the best option.
You're not getting this. Have you ever read a book?
When many people read the Harry Potter books, they don't imagine Harry Potter as a separate character. They imagine him as... themselves. They imagine they're the wizards holding the wands, casting spells and shirking off homework. They're imagining that they are the toys of Dudley, the owner of Voldemort's scar, and the Master of Death.
Imagining that you're someone that's not yourself is a lot easier when you get to access their thoughts. With video games, you don't have that liberty. But a sense of immersion: Even when the character you're playing as has a voice and a personality, is still possible.
Link serves as this link. He never talks. He has no past to speak of, at least in most games, and what pasts he has can easily be assumed by the player. He is simply a slate on which to draw on, and even in third person it's easy to immerse yourself and subconciously think of him as... you.
With Zelda and Impa, it just wouldn't be the same. They have always spoken. They knew how to speak, and they've always been much more defined then Link. Sure, they could make them silent, but that would not only kill the character, it would have an effect on surely the developer's, and quite a few players, from the backlash of Link gaining a voice's, experience as a whole.
Imagine you're reading the Harry Potter series, but it stars Neville. You still have this hero with a scar and a lack of parents, but he's significantly more bumbling, in need of even more character development. That wouldn't draw off readers as a whole, but it just doesn't fit within the magical setting, the fantasy setting, the life you wish to live. That would wall of a lot of potential readers.
So, let's say you were playing the Legend of Zelda. You were hoping to play as the kid with the Triforce of Courage, mountains of items, and the Master Sword. Suddenly, you play as a ninja.
While that may be alright for some people, is that truly what the dev team wants?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I get what you mean, but I just don't see them adding in a second, female Link just because. They could make Impa playable in a very different way, you could maybe switch between both Link and Impa, play with both characters? How far the Zelda franchise has been established, I doubt that anything other than exactly Link, but female would work for exactly this role you say. It's just that I doubt that that is going to be received well, that's all.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I get what you mean, but I just don't see them adding in a second, female Link just because. They could make Impa playable in a very different way, you could maybe switch between both Link and Impa, play with both characters? How far the Zelda franchise has been established, I doubt that anything other than exactly Link, but female would work for exactly this role you say. It's just that I doubt that that is going to be received well, that's all.
Hold on, this is not the end of the discussion. Notice how I gave the "different Link" a different name?
Tie could very WELL be unique. All she needs to be is a mime with an easily adaptable personality, the Triforce of Courage, the ability to use almost any item. and the Master Sword. Besides that, she could be anything.
She could have long blonde hair and a light blue tunic, with white shorts and black boots, She could have brown hair tied back in a ponytail, with a purple top and long grey boots. She could have red curly hair, black skin... Oh, crap, she could be the first playable Gerudo! Imagine the options!
It doesn't just have to vary in appearance. Link could be his standard self, while Tie, while still being determinate, is wiser, less likely to charge into battle. Or she could be the exact opposite degree, being a total space case with a sense of ADHD.
All she needs is the signature weapon, signature skills, and signature speech style.
Besides that, anything's possible.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But where would Link fit? Does this female character also get 'a' Master Sword and 'a' Triforce of Power? What you want is a character that'd be a direct substitude to Male Link. And I doubt that will be received well, since people kinda love Link you know. How would you explain there being two Master Swords, or two people suddenly discovering they have the Triforce of Power? This is way to complex. And I also find it ironic that you'd have no problem with a playable Gerudo, but a Sheikah is out of the question because a 'ninja' is too different from Link? Also her 'personality' as you imply seems to contradict what you said earlier: that Link is basically supposed to be a 'blank state reflecting the player's emotions'. Am just not sure where you are getting at with this all.... What exactly would be so different about this character than adding Impa as a playable character?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
But where would Link fit? Does this female character also get 'a' Master Sword and 'a' Triforce of Power? What you want is a character that'd be a direct substitude to Male Link. And I doubt that will be received well, since people kinda love Link you know. How would you explain there being two Master Swords, or two people suddenly discovering they have the Triforce of Power? This is way to complex. And I also find it ironic that you'd have no problem with a playable Gerudo, but a Sheikah is out of the question because a 'ninja' is too different from Link? Also her 'personality' as you imply seems to contradict what you said earlier: that Link is basically supposed to be a 'blank state reflecting the player's emotions'. Am just not sure where you are getting at with this all.... What exactly would be so different about this character than adding Impa as a playable character?
...You seem to actively be trying to not see my argument.
She would be an optional playable character. They wouldn't both exist in the same file. Also, I never said that she COULDN'T be a Shiekah. The problem is, all of our Shiekah have never wielded a sword in their life, outside of Hyrule Warriors. We have had multiple Gerudo that have wielded swords. And it's pretty easy to imagine yourself as someone with a personality when they don't speak. Outside of the cutscenes, I never said Link's name once. I always imagined he was me. Yet, in cutscenes, he showed a very distinct character.
If you really wish for this to continue, let's bring this to well, any Zelda thread. If that fails, to PM it is, then.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like to take it to a Zelda thread. Hell, we could even make a thread ourselves about this? I do think that I get your point, but am not sure if you are getting mine. I just doubt that an optional playable character would be received well if you couldn't play as Link. Having a female character isn't that much of a deal to Zelda fans I think? Chicks love Link. And I really think having 2 playable characters, male (Link) and female (Impa?) would be a better option. Why? Link is still there, and Link is the main character of the franchise.

Also, Impa can wield a sword just easily. You have seen Hyrule Warriors. And just because it's non-canon doesn't mean it has to be outrightely ignored! I think it's quite a big deal of a game if it has Zelda fully playable and brings Ganondorf back, as well as pleasing long time fans with playable favorites as Impa and Midna. It's story won't be used for inspiration to Zelda games, but designs, moves, general ideas... Easily.

Even if that wouldn't be true. Impa has wielded a sword in the Ocarina of Time manga to.

[/quote]

Anyway, I guess we should discuss Impa more as a Smash character in this thread... How about that idea? Like it anything better?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to take it to a Zelda thread. Hell, we could even make a thread ourselves about this? I do think that I get your point, but am not sure if you are getting mine. I just doubt that an optional playable character would be received well if you couldn't play as Link. Having a female character isn't that much of a deal to Zelda fans I think? Chicks love Link. And I really think having 2 playable characters, male (Link) and female (Impa?) would be a better option. Why? Link is still there, and Link is the main character of the franchise.

Also, Impa can wield a sword just easily. You have seen Hyrule Warriors. And just because it's non-canon doesn't mean it has to be outrightely ignored! I think it's quite a big deal of a game if it has Zelda fully playable and brings Ganondorf back, as well as pleasing long time fans with playable favorites as Impa and Midna. It's story won't be used for inspiration to Zelda games, but designs, moves, general ideas... Easily.

Even if that wouldn't be true. Impa has wielded a sword in the Ocarina of Time manga to.

Anyway, I guess we should discuss Impa more as a Smash character in this thread... How about that idea? Like it anything better?
Fixed. And here's the thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/on-playable-female-characters-in-the-zelda-series.358294/

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Time to bring back Aryll... she is Link's sister and she can be the "female Link".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We mostly made movesets based on her Skyward Sword character, which doesn't use any weapons but more a style similar to Sheik / Lucario (envisioned). But I doubt such style is gonna make it now with the addition of Greninja. With Hyrule Warriors coming out, I think it's most likely we'll see Impa use the two handed sword, and have a style that'd be a combination of heavy sword blows with agility. She'd probably have a whole lot of range, quite fast attack but some lag after them. Good jumping, below average weight. It's hard to create a moveset for this style now, because Hyrule Warriors isn't out yet.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
We mostly made movesets based on her Skyward Sword character, which doesn't use any weapons but more a style similar to Sheik / Lucario (envisioned). But I doubt such style is gonna make it now with the addition of Greninja. With Hyrule Warriors coming out, I think it's most likely we'll see Impa use the two handed sword, and have a style that'd be a combination of heavy sword blows with agility. She'd probably have a whole lot of range, quite fast attack but some lag after them. Good jumping, below average weight. It's hard to create a moveset for this style now, because Hyrule Warriors isn't out yet.
Well, fine then.
What about Impa using a variety of signature items of the Zelda series, being a member of the Royal Guard? For example, she could use the Four Sword and split into four for an attack: She could play on the Ocarina and cause a variety of effects: She could use the Wind Waker to cause sudden increases in wind, like those on the Distant Planet: And her Final Smash could involve playing the Instrument of the Sirens and summoning the Wind Fish.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, fine then.
What about Impa using a variety of signature items of the Zelda series, being a member of the Royal Guard? For example, she could use the Four Sword and split into four for an attack: She could play on the Ocarina and cause a variety of effects: She could use the Wind Waker to cause sudden increases in wind, like those on the Distant Planet: And her Final Smash could involve playing the Instrument of the Sirens and summoning the Wind Fish.

Impa didn't do any of these in Zelda games, including Zelda games she didn't even appear in.

She should have a moveset that has anything to do with the Sheikah... Mask of Truth, Gossip Stone, Lens of Truth, the disappearing act... that magic barrier she used in Skyward Sword... and whatever else she can do in Hyrule Warriors.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly. Impa never did those things, so I wouldn't want her to do so in Smash. I would like for her to use Deku Nuts however, as she did use them. Other than that, things Arcadenik listed could be used for reference, especially the barrier and Hyrule Warriors moves.

Watching this trailer, it seems that Impa really throws around her sword a lot. And I think that alone would make a very interessting playstyle.

Just look at this:

It seems almost as if she doesn't swing her sword around with her arms, moreso her legs. Or possibly both!

Here she holds her sword back-handed.

And here she's doing... Stuff.

Just looking at this stance and you know it's not a style of fighting we already have in Smash! Even though there's rough similarities going on. Sheik, by race / character from the same series (also overall agility I suppose). Greninja, by also being a ninja and using the water element (Greninja would be more water-based however). And Ike, for also using a two-handed sword - however, he does so with one hand.

I have faith that she'll make an amazing character, and that her warrior personality is the one which is gonna be mainstream from now on, not her old lady self. I'm really looking forward if Impa is in Zelda Wii U to! If we learn about her excistance in that game, I think she'll make a guranteed Smash appearance!

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman

Impa didn't do any of these in Zelda games, including Zelda games she didn't even appear in.

She should have a moveset that has anything to do with the Sheikah... Mask of Truth, Gossip Stone, Lens of Truth, the disappearing act... that magic barrier she used in Skyward Sword... and whatever else she can do in Hyrule Warriors.
...You know what, I'm really bad at this, considering I know jack **** about the Sheikah. I'm a Link to the Past and Awakening fan, not an Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask fan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Sheikah only really appear in Ocarina of Time (Sheik and Impa) and Skyward Sword (Impa) anyway. They are sure referenced in Twilight Princess to, and maybe Majora's Mask? Not sure about that last one.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I have decided that not only is Impa not dead, but seems to be the most likely 6th Zelda Character.

Good Luck @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong , hope your most wanted character gets in.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The Sheikah only really appear in Ocarina of Time (Sheik and Impa) and Skyward Sword (Impa) anyway. They are sure referenced in Twilight Princess to, and maybe Majora's Mask? Not sure about that last one.
Technically, the old Impas are Sheikah as well. ALBW's Impa is a descendant of OoT Impa, and the original LoZ Impa is also Sheikah (retconned) and likely a descendant of ALBW's Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have decided that not only is Impa not dead, but seems to be the most likely 6th Zelda Character.

Good Luck @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong , hope your most wanted character gets in.
Thank bro! And yes, I do still indeed think Impa is the most likely newcomer for Zelda. It's funny though that all apperant hope for a 6th Zelda character died with Tingle. While to me, it was quite obvious he'd return as an AT. If the guy was already excluded for Twilight Princess, what makes people think he'll be in Smash? I say good ridiance. Also, Villager's Up B should've made people question him in the first place.

Impa is one of my few most wanted characters however! :laugh: I also want King K.Rool and Mewtwo in just as badly. But those are less 'controversial' wants than Impa. Especially due the time that Sheik wasn't announced yet, and I advocated for her cut. :awesome: Now, I don't want this thread to talk about Sheik again but... When she was revealed, everybody automatically assumed Impa dead. Especially with Greninja also thrown in.

Then Hyrule Warriors happened. I knew Impa was to become playable in it, but people either didn't believe me, or wanted to believe Hyrule Warriors simply "wouldn't matter" because "non-canon lol". Heh, the fact alone it has Zelda playable, and brings back Ganondorf should really, really make people think otherwise.

Also, I still believe that the Zelda and Donkey Kong Country series are very likely to receive a newcomer. Not only where both series planned to have one in Brawl (Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik and Dixie Kong being the 'forbidden seven') but after Mario and Pokémon they are easily the most prominent. And Zelda didn't have a decent newcomer since Melee (Toon Link basically = Young Link). So, now is easily the best time!

The fact Impa got revealed as being playable before even the likes of Zelda and Midna seems to imply to me she's quite important to the story, or at least the earliest part of it. And it draws attention on her and not arguebly 'bigger' characters as Zelda and Midna.

Top Bottom