• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait, is that a biggoron sword, Hyrule Warriors style?
That's definitely the Goron symbol on it.
I never noticed this! Whoa, great eye for detail there. It does make sense however to have the two main playable characters represent the Master Sword / Biggorron Sword playstyles I feel, as it where the main weapons of OOT Link. And also, Impa could have more easily gotten the sword, as Kakariko Village in OOT is very close to Death Mountain.

Also, I have noticed Impa uses quite a lot of different sorts of long / broad swords. Look at the differences in the weapons here:

They did say that there will be different sort of weapons for characters however. So this could be nothing more but that, so I doubt the Biggorron Sword has any real true meaning being there, but it's still a very cool detail for fans.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Impa is the only character from Hyrule Warriors in specific that has a chance to get into the ring.
Impa has a great deal of magic, such as her Deku Teleportation and her Harp of Whatchamadoodle. She also carries around that gigantic sword, which by the looks of the last picture can help her cast magic. SUPPORT

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She also has water powers in Hyrule Warriors apperantly, and she has various forms of other magic as well. In Skyward Sword, she can cast barriers, jump extremely high, and is able to time travel and has a magical energy ball attack. In Ocarina of Time, she is the Sage of Shadows and carries around ninja weapons in her design (like Sheik) but also has the Deku Nuts (plus teleportation) and I guess they could take a look at the manga for inspiration as well.

Am quite sure that Impa is going to be quite prominent in Zelda Wii U as well. And that she'll appear as a warrior-styled character more often from now on than appearing like this:

However! She could still have a duo role, as in Skyward Sword. I would really like that, seeing as time travel is quite a big thing in the Zelda lore.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Impa is the only character from Hyrule Warriors in specific that has a chance to get into the ring.
Impa has a great deal of magic, such as her Deku Teleportation and her Harp of Whatchamadoodle. She also carries around that gigantic sword, which by the looks of the last picture can help her cast magic. SUPPORT
I don't think the giant sword would count towards Impa's moveset, but what does help Impa is Hyrule Warriors shows she wouldn't just be a clone of Sheik. Hyrule Warriors is incredibly new, and its questionable if Sakurai would've been aware of it enough in advance to be able to base Impa on Hyrule Warriors.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think the giant sword would count towards Impa's moveset, but what does help Impa is Hyrule Warriors shows she wouldn't just be a clone of Sheik. Hyrule Warriors is incredibly new, and its questionable if Sakurai would've been aware of it enough in advance to be able to base Impa on Hyrule Warriors.
Well, Sakurai DID base Ganondorf off from a game that has never actually been released in Melee. He designed Ganondorf after the Zelda GCN demo game, that had Link fight Ganondorf sword on sword. Just look at this pic, and Ganondorf in the vid below:

If Sakurai went as far as to make Ganondorf like this in Melee, I can see the possibility for Impa being Hyrule Warriors styled as well. Hyrule Warriors WILL eventually be released, unlike the 'game' in the video above. So that's a good thing in Impa's favor.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, Sakurai DID base Ganondorf off from a game that has never actually been released in Melee. He designed Ganondorf after the Zelda GCN demo game, that had Link fight Ganondorf sword on sword. Just look at this pic, and Ganondorf in the vid below:

If Sakurai went as far as to make Ganondorf like this in Melee, I can see the possibility for Impa being Hyrule Warriors styled as well. Hyrule Warriors WILL eventually be released, unlike the 'game' in the video above. So that's a good thing in Impa's favor.
To be fair, its just the sword Ganondorf used in the game, Ganondorf himself looks identical to Ocarina of Time. But point made.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's surprising Ganondorf does not have a sword at this point. It was acceptable in Melee but not in Brawl.
Honestly... I'm not fully sure I want Ganondorf to use a sword. I'd rather have him use his dark magic. Maybe he can have two swords and they float beside him when he's not using them, but it should focus more on his dark magic attacks than anything else.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ganondorf was a sorcerer before he was a swordfighter.
Well... he's never stopped being a sorcerer... But he definitely uses his dark sorcerery far more in OOT than WW and TP. He still does use it, but not to directly attack. Although keep in mind, Ganondorf DID use twin blades as Ganon for the final boss of OOT.

And this is supposed to be about Impa. If Impa wasn't to use her giant sword from Hyrule Warriors, I could see her fight with a dagger instead. I don't think anyone in Smash actually uses a dagger. Sheik doesn't, that I know.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly... I'm not fully sure I want Ganondorf to use a sword. I'd rather have him use his dark magic. Maybe he can have two swords and they float beside him when he's not using them, but it should focus more on his dark magic attacks than anything else.
Impa could be much like the envisioned 'Ganondorf with a sword'. Am with you though, I think the sword thing has passed.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well... he's never stopped being a sorcerer... But he definitely uses his dark sorcerery far more in OOT than WW and TP. He still does use it, but not to directly attack. Although keep in mind, Ganondorf DID use twin blades as Ganon for the final boss of OOT.

And this is supposed to be about Impa. If Impa wasn't to use her giant sword from Hyrule Warriors, I could see her fight with a dagger instead. I don't think anyone in Smash actually uses a dagger. Sheik doesn't, that I know.
I wasn't arguing with you.

I'd like to see her use her dagger and magic. Would be interesting.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wasn't arguing with you.

I'd like to see her use her dagger and magic. Would be interesting.
I was just noting that post-OOT, he hasn't used his dark sorcery as much but still does use it. And even in OOT he still did use a sword.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, see, Ganondorf has pretty much always been using swords. I'd like Ganondorf to use a sword for a couple of attacks maybe, but not to use it extensively. Or give him the Trident instead and we can have a spear-like weapon. "Ganon" would definitely be his Final Smash, preferably not Beast Ganon this time.

Crap, we keep getting off the topic of Impa. :p I still say that if a new Zelda character gets in, Impa should be top priority. I know Tingle has just as much importance as Impa, if not a tad bit more due to him having his own games, but I think his hatedom would kill any chance of him ever getting added. And I'm fine with that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, see, Ganondorf has pretty much always been using swords. I'd like Ganondorf to use a sword for a couple of attacks maybe, but not to use it extensively. Or give him the Trident instead and we can have a spear-like weapon. "Ganon" would definitely be his Final Smash, preferably not Beast Ganon this time.
If Beast Ganon's in the game, he should be a separate character. I mean, Sheik and Zelda are, so why not?

Crap, we keep getting off the topic of Impa. :p I still say that if a new Zelda character gets in, Impa should be top priority. I know Tingle has just as much importance as Impa, if not a tad bit more due to him having his own games, but I think his hatedom would kill any chance of him ever getting added. And I'm fine with that.
I could see Impa, Ganon, or Tingle getting in, myself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A 6 character Zelda roster only containing variations of Link, Zelda and Ganon would be a huge let down for me. As awesome as Ganon would be.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't mind other variations of Link, Zelda or Ganondorf as they represent something. And despite being the same entity, Ganon and Ganondorf are really different, like Zelda and Sheik are different.
And as I like Zelda, I would mind at all Tetra.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A 6 character Zelda roster only containing variations of Link, Zelda and Ganon would be a huge let down for me. As awesome as Ganon would be.
This pretty much.

Ganon would be a horrible choice, sorry. Ganon is Ganondorf's ultimate/beat form in most of his appearances anyway. Zelda and Sheik can be argued only because they were originally switchable but that was cut.

Ganon can just as easily be Ganondorf's Giga Bowser, I don't see the problem. If we get a sixth Zelda character, I want someone new. Namely Impa.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Does Impa still have a chance
I think Impa's chances are up, but its iffy. If Ganondorf gets a revamped moveset I'm really not thinking that we'll get a sixth Zelda character. Unless they make Impa a semi-clone of Sheik.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I think Impa's chances are up, but its iffy. If Ganondorf gets a revamped moveset I'm really not thinking that we'll get a sixth Zelda character. Unless they make Impa a semi-clone of Sheik.
Ghriham and Impa are the most likely Zelda Candidates btw are they a thread for Ghriham here on Smashboards.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ghriham and Impa are the most likely Zelda Candidates btw are they a thread for Ghriham here on Smashboards.
I highly doubt Ghirahim. In all honesty, I think Tingle would get in before Ghirahim. Tingle, Impa, and Vaati are probably the top contenders for the spot, and of those three the only one whose even appeared in recent games is Impa. They've never added a character like Ghirahim before (Sheik was still part of Zelda), so I'm not sure why people think they'll do it now. Both Midna and Skull Kid already got the boot.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Its likely that Ghirahim's topic faded into obscurity. Lol I missed the fact that he was asking if there was a Ghirahim topic, I thought he was saying he knew of one.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Hyrule Warriors renewed my belief in the possibility of Impa. Sheik's confirmation sealed her fate to me before, but Hyrule Warriors having Impa specifically playable seems like too perfect of a scenario for Sakurai to pass up. How else to hype a new game than by putting a character in Smash from it? Ahem, Roy.

I support Impa once again, especially since Mario and Pokemon could still very likely get six reps too.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Impa's chances are probably nothing this game but could very well be a solid choice if Hyrule Warriors turns out to be a huge success. Impa has already started seeing a rising rate in appearances with her biggest role potentially proving whether or not she has the magic to stay in the limelight. If this game were to come out last year or the night before, I would really believe she would have made it in. Unfortunately Smash 5 is her chance, only people in the running this game are Vaati, Tingle and Ganon. (Vaati in my mind stands the best chance however slim, Tingle returning AT and Ganon becoming new FS.)

TheLightningGamer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-7316-4338
Ah Impa in Smash! A really good choice, but will we even have a new Zelda rep.? Personally, I'd prefer Tetra/Toon Zelda, but I can see the reasoning for Impa. She's a relevant character, that always seems to return. But, the way Sakurai put how Sheik and Zelda would be, I don't know if there's room for a new Zelda character. Unless Sheik and Zelda still share the same slot, I don't think we're getting another representative.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Ah Impa in Smash! A really good choice, but will we even have a new Zelda rep.? Personally, I'd prefer Tetra/Toon Zelda, but I can see the reasoning for Impa. She's a relevant character, that always seems to return. But, the way Sakurai put how Sheik and Zelda would be, I don't know if there's room for a new Zelda character. Unless Sheik and Zelda still share the same slot, I don't think we're getting another representative.

Zelda is one of the most popular character franchises to be represented, only behind Pokemon. There will be a new Zelda representative. Ghiraham and Impa seem to be the most likely, so boom, a speculation is be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We could get an Impa reveal before the game releases!! Hyrule Warriors will be out 26th of September, while Smash Bros. will get a release roughly a week later (for 3DS). I could see Impa getting revealed last!

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't a supporter of Impa at first, but when I saw Hyrule Warrior, I changed my mind !
Impa is really awesome, and it's seriously too bad that this game was developed so late. I'm sure I'm not the only one who started to liked that character ! Maybe we could have had Impa instead of Sheik if the game was released at the right time ?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So Midna and Zelda will be playable in Hyrule Warriors. Midna is an Assist Trophy. Let's hope Impa doesn't meet the same terrible fate. Impa really deserves to be in Smash. Far more deserving than Sheik but I digress.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm kinda doubting it. But Impa should definitely be the next playable Zelda character for sure.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Depending on Hyrule Warrior's succes, Impa might even appear as a DLC character if Sol Romano is right that there will indeed be DLC. And seeing as the plot of the game still relies on saving Zelda (even if she's playable), Impa appears to really be meant for the game's sidekick character, next to Link. And that is VERY good news! Cause outside of fairies, Midna, Zelda and Epona there aren't really many characters that could be named a sidekick to Link, or even naming someone who;s close to Link in ability. Impa fits this role well. And I really do hope to see her in Zelda Wii U as well! And looking at the artstyle... I could really see it happen.

Things are looking good for us people! Impa might get in after all!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
6th Mario character: Toad (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)

6th Zelda character: Impa (Hyrule Warriors)

Yes! We already have the princesses, now the bodyguards should join the battle! They deserve to be in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always liked the idea of 'royal captains' as Toad, Impa and Bandana Dee to join the fray togheter. Might as well list Bandana Dee in there I feel.

It's also relieving to know Toad still stands a chance.

Hyrule Warriors is hyped up a whole lot now, I think it'll be a great succes and it might possibly even get a sequel.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well I doubt it's foolish. Impa becoming playable, and being the secondary character in the story next to Link is just very, very good for her. I doubt she will show up as an old woman in the main series a lot from now on, unless her role needs her to. Cause I feel Impa's warrior self will easily be how she will be asiosiated with from now on.

Next time, DLC, or late reveal, I won't care. Cause Impa will be in one day, and that alone I regard as a victory.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Seeing how she fights in Hyrule Warriors, would you mind if she turns out to be a swordfighter if/when she is added?

Top Bottom