• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Impa is already confirmed to show up in Hyrule Warriors.

Or I think that's her on the far left at least. It looks just like her based on her hair.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is already confirmed to show up in Hyrule Warriors.

Or I think that's her on the far left at least. It looks just like her based on her hair.
That is Impa!? Is she based on her Ocarina of Time design, or do you mean the blue haired warrior?

Just checked, the blue haired girl is supposed to be Nayru. Impa is there with the sword, looking like a mix between her SS and OoT designs, perfect for Smash!

She'll be in Smash guys ;)

AND SHE'S USING A SWORD!

My my my... :)

I was right all along! :shades:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Impa being in Hyrule Warriors has absolutely zero correlation to her being in Smash. Mind that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa being in Hyrule Warriors has absolutely zero correlation to her being in Smash. Mind that.
Rosalina being in Super Mario 3D World has absolutely zero correlation to her being in Smash. Mind that.

Check all recent Zelda games, bar Wind Waker.

Impa is there.

She is the only potential newcomer that stands out, and has actual fighting skills of her own.

Yes I get why you all are in big time denial. No worries ;) Hope you'll snap out of it before Impa is going to be revealed though.

Also note how in the Smash trailer we see the TP Hyrule Castle and it's designed exactly the same in Hyrule Warriors?

It's likely Sakurai knew about the game. He's an insider anyway, and Impa has a great chance of becoming playable wether you like it or not.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But remember Hyrule Warriors isn't a core Zelda game, and shouldn't be treated as such. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But remember Hyrule Warriors isn't a core Zelda game, and shouldn't be treated as such. ;)
Then neither should all the Tingle games count.

Hell, to some Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are even spin-offs.

What makes this game so much different if there's still Link as main character, getting treasures and new skills to progress and fights bosses?

Hard denial.

Impa could still be in Zelda Wii U to though if that's better. In anyway, it's better than Sheik's appearances.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My post was just a jab on your comment that Sheik's chances are unaffected by her appearance in Scribblenauts. :p

Personally, I think it works both ways... Hyrule Warriors is a point in Impa's favour as much as Scribblenauts Unlimited is in Sheik's favour.

Now to wait for Sheik to appear in Hyrule Warriors. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My post was just a jab on your comment that Sheik's chances are unaffected by her appearance in Scribblenauts. :p

Personally, I think it works both ways... Hyrule Warriors is a point in Impa's favour as much as Scribblenauts Unlimited is in Sheik's favour.

Now to wait for Sheik to appear in Hyrule Warriors. :troll:
Scribblenauts is in what way related to Zelda? And what exactly does her little cameo there count for?

Hyrule Warrior is a full-edged Zelda game, and has Impa playable herself. When has Sheik ever been playable in a Zelda game?

Sheik won't appear in Hyrule Warriors cause Zelda takes a passive role as usual.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Rosalina being in Super Mario 3D World has absolutely zero correlation to her being in Smash. Mind that.
That is true as well. I don't know why you're trying to use my argument against myself.

Indeed, Rosalina being in 3D World has no bearing on her being in Smash. It is more likely that Sakurai chose Rosalina because of her moveset potential and look how it turned out, by being one of the most unique characters of the game.

Check all recent Zelda games, bar Wind Waker.

Impa is there.
More recency bull****. I have beaten this argument to death, so I'm not even bothering with this again.

She is the only potential newcomer that stands out, and has actual fighting skills of her own.
Same can be said about Tingle, for example.

Besides moveset potential, Tingle has more popularity and more recognition as well, so she has competition, whether you like it or not.

Yes I get why you all are in big time denial. No worries ;) Hope you'll snap out of it before Impa is going to be revealed though.
Using logic and thinking rationally is being in denial? I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

Also note how in the Smash trailer we see the TP Hyrule Castle and it's designed exactly the same in Hyrule Warriors?
So what? How does that has to do with Impa being in the game?

Haven't you noticed that Link's design in this Smash is still heavily based on TP Link?

It's likely Sakurai knew about the game. He's an insider anyway, and Impa has a great chance of becoming playable wether you like it or not.
If Sakurai doesn't see anything that makes her stand out, count on Impa not making the cut, obviously.

Sheik won't appear in Hyrule Warriors cause Zelda takes a passive role as usual.
Where's the evidence to back up that claim?

See, this is why no one takes you seriously. You make claims, yet lack irrefutable proof backing them. Learn to argue and I'll accept your argumentation as valid.

Anyway, this is beating an horse's skeleton. I said before, if Impa gets in, I'm not going to be butthurt about it and I'll be willing to try her out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Zelda's in the red circle.

Tingle has a hate base.

Impa can still appear next to TP Link, as SS Link and TP Link are the most similar Links in the series.

Swords, magic, barriers, material arts, Deku Nuts... Why shouldn't Impa be considered unique from Sheik?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hmm, as far as weapons for Impa go, I don't think I ever would've selected an improbably large two-handed sword. To me, she seems more of a finesse character than a brute strength character.

Like Wind and Fire wheels

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The weapon of choice is kind of unexpected indeed. But am happy she's in anway. Long Swords are my favorite weapon types in Monster Hunter for example :laugh:

Seriously though, am expecting her to be mostly SS-inspired. She could get the look from Hyrule Warriors however, since it seems to be an ideal mix between her SS and OoT designs.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm happy for you, Diddy, about Impa possibly being playable in Hyrule Warriors... but don't expect too much from playable roles in recent games... yes, there's Rosalina in Super Mario 3D World... but Toad was in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Super Mario 3D World... and it didn't help Toad get into Smash. Impa might get an arrow to her heart...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh, I'm a bit down on swords, especially in the context of weapons in the "Warriors" line of games. Seriously, you can give a new character literally anything that could possibly be considered a weapon, yet you create another sword character? Come on. There's a dude with a friggin' fishing pole, get creative.

Woulda been cool if she was equipped with various Shao lin weapons... hook blades, sickles, meteor hammers... ah. So many options.

On her design-- I think the main reason it's different in this than it is in SS is because it looks like they're trying to design characters with variable team colors-- Link is given a bright, noticeable blue scarf, Impa's primarily blue, Nayru's outfit also just a splotch of blue. So, in multiplayer I expect to see a red-scarfed Link facing down against a blue-scarfed Link.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am sad for Toad, really wanted him in, but he was always Peach's B move... And I guess Sakurai saw more in Rosalina.

Thing is that outside of some weird instances, there have never been other playable characters in Zelda games. So Impa popping up in a game playable? Is something that's extremely favorable for her inclusion in Smash.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So... is this Diddy's lair?

I'd like to say I'm not opposed to Impa appearing, but not over Sheik. As her own character. Here's a bit of a moveset:

Neutral B: Needlestorm. In the only move borrowed from Sheik, Impa fires a barrage of needles at the opponent. Unlike Sheik's, however, these are poisonous and travel faster, but deal less damage and have less range.

Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut downward, creating a barrier of smoke. This stuns opponents, as well as makes her invisible for a few seconds, allowing her to take advantage of their damaged state without letting them see her.

Up B: Gossip Stone. She grabs onto a Gossip Stone as it rockets upward, and you can change it's direction as it flies until it runs out of power and falls below. She is not in free fall, but cannot summon another Gossip Stone.

Down B: Teleport. She waves her arm as, in a puff of smoke, she disappears and teleports in any direction.

Final Smash: Lens of Truth. Zelda's Lullaby plays as Impa holds up the Lens of Truth. Light shines through it as she now is invincible to all attacks (she can see what attacks her foes will perform), and has increased speed, strength and agility (to counter any attacks).

Impa is as fast, if not faster, than Sheik, and also is able to carry items in her grab, much like DK, with her cow-lifting prowess.

I'm waiting for a response to this... worked on it pretty hard.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't like the Gossip Stone as an attack honestly. Deku Nut is a cool idea. Lens of Truth is an acceptable idea, yet not my preffered choice.

You got me with the last part though with the DK-like grabs though... :smirk: I noticed it before, that's why I didn't bother replying to it.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
First there is a stain glass window of Impa in Wind Waker (Shame on you Diddy for not remember that) so Impa has appeared in all recent games in some form or another.

Hyrule Warriors appears to be a legit Zelda game and though it may not follow the traditional game mechanic I believe that it will be included in the Zelda timeline. There are many places where it can fit like the Hyrule civil war. I think that it would be a waste if they only allowed Link to be playable in this game. Impa and Zelda/Sheik are top choices for this.

What does this mean for her chances in Smash.....I have no F'ing idea.

The current roster makes no sense what so ever for me so I find it pointless now to argue who has a chance and what. Might as well just focus on how cool "insert characters name" would be in Smash and wonder how they would play.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do remember the cameo in Wind Waker, but it's.. Just that. A cameo. It's not her being in the actual game.

Also yes I agree with you about Hyrule Wars! It could surely fit into the timeline! Am even thinking it's before Ocarina of Time, or possible a few centuries after Skyward Sword before all other games begin. The Boboklins from SS seem to hint pre-SS, but I'm thinking that's not possible as SS Link is said to be the first Hero.

Am really thinking the warrior with the long sword is Impa though. I mean, the hair is just hers. Even with the one long braid. The fact it's white also seems to hint to her Ocarina of Time appearance.

With Rosalina being in, am less doubting Impa would resemble Sheik at all. Or should outrightely replace her, as there's now easily room for a Zelda newcomer without replacements. Am actually easing up about Sheik's exclusion. Whoever, my opinion still stays that Impa is by far superior. Sheik to me is still a glorified one-off who only got popular cause of her being overpowered in Melee.

At least there's gonna be a game with Impa playable in it. And that's a good thing. Hope Smash will follow up, as honestly I still see her as the most viable Zelda newcomer.

Apperantly my 3rd eyes scans increasing hate towards our cause ever since Impa's appearance in Hyrule Warriors and Rosalina's confirmation makes her more likely than before.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
At least there's gonna be a game with Impa playable in it. .

We don't know that. We see a character, who may or may not be Impa, holding a longsword. This person might be playable, or might be an ally unit instead of playable. And yes, may or may not be Impa. It looks similar to her sure, but she in't the only Shiekah to ever have existed in the Zelda universe. The person could just as easily be a new Sheikah entirely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa IS the only Sheikah to have ever excisted, outside Sheik, who isn't even a Sheikah by blood. It's just Zelda pretending herself to be one. Impa was always the sole survivor of the Sheikah. And it makes sence for Impa to fight alongside the soldiers, seeing as she's Zelda's personal guard thus way higher in rank than all of them.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
But if this is pre-OoT then there should be other sheikahs. The style of the Bokoblins makes it seem that is right after Skyward Sword (possibly the establishment of Hyrule Kingdom) but that's just basing from art style. Bokoblins are found all over the Zelda timeline like the Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. So its possible that it could be anywhere in the Zelda timeline but I'm hoping it during one of the major wars.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not sure if it'll fit any timeline, or is supposed to. There've been many wars in the Zelda timeline anyway. Am not thinking it's another Sheikah. Why would they create a new Sheikah with Impa around? This warrior has striking resemblance to Skyward Sword's Impa and Ocarina of Time's Impa. It can't be mere co-incidence.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
The Sheikah were almost wiped out during the Hyrulean Civil War. If the game takes place prior to that, then Impa isn't the only Sheikah, and thus, not the only protector of Hyrule's royal family. And there's been 4. Hylia's War vs Demise, the War of the Bound Chest, the Hyrulean Civil War and the Imprisoning War. Zelda and Link being there make the first and last impossible, leaving just the middle two, if the war existed prior to the game, both of which take place before the rest of the Sheikah were wiped out defending the Royal Family. Not the first time, with Impaz and Madame Fanadi in Twilight Princess. And why can't it be coincidence?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why would they make an unkown Sheikah character playable anyway?

It's like people are trying their utmost against Impa now.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Why would they make an unkown Sheikah character playable anyway?

It's like people are trying their utmost against Impa now.
I wonder why that is?

I hope it's Impa in the trailer.

I don't think an appearance in Hyrule Warriors has any effect on her appearance in Smash. Hyrule Warriors is being developed by a third party, while Mario 3D World was developed by the main Mario developer EAD Tokyo. Rosalina's appearance in Smash was not triggered by her appearance in 3D World. It's more like this: Rosalina is an EAD Tokyo creation and one of their favorite characters. When they thought about adding a character to 3D World, they considered adding her first, When Sakurai consulted them (probably) on Smash, they probably recommended Rosalina to him as well. The consecutive nature of these announcement is just good marketing synergy.

I think Hyrule Warriors will have been developed and announced too late in order to make a difference in Smash, and it wouldn't anyway since its not the Zelda studio. If we were to get a fifth Zelda rep (which I don't think we will), it would probably be Impa over Tingle and other Zelda reps. Tingle has huge western hate (hence no appearance in the home console Zeldas) and no one stand out as a strong recurring character.

I would hope its OoT Impa.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Again, you have no idea whether or not the Sheikah is playable. I'm not saying that Impa won't/can't be in Smash or Hyrule Warriors, but I am saying that you can't speak in absolutes. You're assuming that 1) The Sheikah is Impa and 2) that the Sheikah is playable, based on a few seconds of a character with design similarities to Impa. For all we know, Link is the only playable character in the game. Sure, the character is probably Impa and has the possibility of being playable, but she could just as easily not be Impa, or be Impa but just an ally unit and not playable for all we know.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why would another Sheikah but Impa fight with the warriors of Hyrule? Impa was general of the soldiers of Hyrule basically in Ocarina of Time. It makes a lot of sence for her to fight alongside them infront of Hyrule Castle. Also, she was alone in there. No other soldiers looking similar to her either, so no Sheikah tribe fighting with the soldiers as was implied in the war that preceeded Ocarina of Time. This is a sole Sheikah, with Impa's hairstyle from SS, armor and haircolors resembling her Ocarina of Time appearance... How are we still denying it?

From what I understood, Dynasty Warriors in general have a lot of playable characters in their cast. If they make a game with Zelda characters, why wouldn't Impa be in there?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL Impa grabbing a Gossip Stone as it rockets around? Impa isn't the female Villager. :troll:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Because that was what they did? The Sheikah protected the Royal Family of Hyrule prior to them getting wiped out. And what? Impa was Zelda's bodyguard/nursemaid of Zelda in Ocarina of Time, just like her other appearances. She had nothing to do with the soldiers. Hell, Impa fighting on the frontlines makes less sense than any other Sheikah, given that her job is solely to protect Zelda, while others would have less defined roles.

Actually, we don't even know that the figure IS a Sheikah, just that the figure has the same hairstyle as SS Impa and hair colour as OoT Impa. The armour doesn't look like what OoT Impa wore. You are literally claiming that a figure is both Impa AND playable based on a single second of a character with the same hair as Impa. It probably is her yes, but how would you feel when you've gone around saying Impa's playable, then it turns out she's just an NPC, or that it's a new playable Sheikah?

Again, I'm not saying it can't be or that it isn't Impa, but I'd prefer a little more proof that the figure is Impa than seeing the figure for a split second before saying that it is, and then proof that the figure is playable before claiming that too.

Because the games also have notable NPCs? While it's possible for the figure to be both Impa and playable, it's also possible for the figure to be Impa but not playable, not Impa but playable or both not Impa and not playable. We have a second of a figure, and drawing conclusions from that is more likely to lead to disappointment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why wouldn't Impa fight on the frontlines if King Dodongo is just attacking the ports of Hyrule Castle, not Hyrule Castle itself? Impa was definitely commander of the soldiers, all soldiers in Ocarina of Time seem to speak of her. Also, her being the sole survivor and all...

I have extreme difficulties picturing characters being playable in the Zelda franchise if Impa is not one of them. And yes, I claim she's playable, why? She was just standing still in the trailer, didn't move an inch. A NPC of any kind would act like the other NPC soldiers would.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Impa is Zelda's bodyguard or nursemaid. That's it. Fighting on the frontlines would not fall under her job description, as she wouldn't be able to protect Zelda at the same time.

No she wasn't. The guards in Kakariko explicitly speak highly of her for opening the formerly Sheikah-only town to non-Sheikah, and call her Zelda's attendant, not commander of the knights. The guard in the back alley calls her Zelda's nanny, not commander of the knights.

Actually, Sheik calls herself last of the Sheikah. Impa just says she's one of the Sheikah, implying that there was still others before Ganondorf took over, though admittedly few.

Bias. There is just as much chance of her being an NPC as she does PC. Dismissing the possibility just because you can't picture it is stupid.

A character didn't move IN THE SINGLE SECOND THEY WERE ONSCREEN FOR! Wow. Such proof. And it was just a trailer anyway. Why would they insert another playable character when the game wasn't there to be played anyway? And that NPC might have a different AI to the others. King Dodongo had a different AI to the Moblins, the figure could be just the same.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Why wouldn't Impa fight on the frontlines if King Dodongo is just attacking the ports of Hyrule Castle, not Hyrule Castle itself? Impa was definitely commander of the soldiers, all soldiers in Ocarina of Time seem to speak of her. Also, her being the sole survivor and all...
They could easily come up with an original character for the game, if Tecmo-Koei wants to put their stamp on the Zelda Series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They could easily come up with an original character for the game, if Tecmo-Koei wants to put their stamp on the Zelda Series.
And why would they choose to make that Sheikah an exact middle-ground of the most well-known Impa incarations of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of TIme?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
And why would they choose to make that Sheikah an exact middle-ground of the most well-known Impa incarations of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of TIme?
to leave their own stamp on the series? for the purpose of the game's story (no matter how little there is)? I hope it's Impa but by no means is it a guarantee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's close to one seeing she's so strikingly similar to SS Impa most of all, and the game really seems to take after Skyward Sword's art style.

How you guys suppose Impa will fight in this game though? Am automatically picturing a style similar to Monster Hunter's Long Sword users. Which is awesome actually. But can't help and think she won't use Deku Nuts either, seeing as Link was massively throwing Bombs around himself to.

If there's a sort of Magic system, which it seems there is, I could see her use the Barrier from Skyward Sword to. As well as other magic-based attacks. Think a moveset will be extremely easy to make once we see what Impa can do in this game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
*blink blink*

Did... did you guys see the picture? It's very, very clearly Impa in the Hyrule Warriors game. It seems a bit odd to imply that it's some sort of leap of logic to assume that.

The rest, though, yeah. The rest is just hopeful thinking... not unreasonably so, though. The game is part of the Warriors series which, if people had to pick one defining trait of the series, it would be the dozens of playable characters.

Dynasty Warriors 8: 80+ characters.
Samurai Warriors 5: 50+ characters.
Warriors Orochi 3: 145(!!!) characters.
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3: 53+alternate mech suits (essentially, alternate characters)
Dynasty Warriors: Fist of the North Star 2: 25ish characters

So... the thought that Hyrule Warriors will have more than 1 playable character is less an "assumption" and more of a given.

Especially considering the title of the game right now is Hyrule Warriors, plural. :p

(to be fair Diddy K, the character not moving isn't really proof of anything... the AI in these games isn't spectacular. I suspect it was actually AI controlled in the video, just... not controlled very well.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Did... did you guys see the picture? It's very, very clearly Impa in the Hyrule Warriors game. It seems a bit odd to imply that it's some sort of leap of logic to assume that.
Of course they are assuming it isn't Impa. Giving me actual credit for saying I was right all the time is like shooting yourself in the foot around here. :laugh: Prideful fools. :smirk:

To be honest, I never saw Impa in the trailer myself! I just assumed with the heavy emphasysis on Skyward Sword characters and designs, and as you said, the name Hyrule WarriorS that Impa would naturally appear in this game. And probably playable. Just a few minuter later, people where saying Impa was already in the game.

And yes, about her standing still, it could be the AI being bad. She was not controlled most likely, as it was Link who was doing the full action here. But that doesn't mean a second player couldn't be controlling Impa? Or someone online who was getting a snack / going to the toilet / smoking a joint / having sex / doing whatever. :rolleyes:

In anyway, I'm 98% certain it's Impa.

Also qdMbp, you seem to know a lot about the Warriors series. Is there any character with a longsword like Impa's in those games? Impa could get a playstyle in Hyrule Warriors that is very similar to this. Of course, Deku Nuts will also be used. Maybe even Deku Sticks, the Lens of Truth to? Sheikah specific weapons? The sort of weapon she carries here perhaps ;

Am looking forward to see more of this game!

Top Bottom