• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I dunno. I'm thinking that it doesn't significantly impact her presence in Smash bros. And, even if it did, not sure it'd influence it in the way we might want it to.

But, yeah, having an elderly woman kicking ass in Smash would be a fun contrast from the other characters... if, somehow, Old Impa gets in I'd still be entirely game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ageist!

If Impa were to get in, my money would be on her taking her design from her most active role in the series...but honestly I'd prefer either Fat or Old Impa as a nice contrast to any other Smasher's design.
XD

To be fair, I'd be perfectly fine with Impa being old, but the main appeal of her for me as a Sheik main is the possibility of getting a new, useful down-b move for the old "Sheik" moveset. I like playing as Zelda, too, so I'd be happy with the fact that she'd get one as well. However, them just making Seilda viable would make me incredibly happy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what do you guys think of Impa's role in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She at least is there I guess? I haven´t played the game yet, as I have no 3DS. But what is her role like? I like how she kept the long hair, but she doesn´t really look especially Sheikah-like. Which sucks. Ah well, she might take a backbone in ALBW, but am sure she´ll keep appearing in upcoming games. She is just becoming more and more of a staple, which is always a good thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I haven't played the game yet but I do own the game! I bought it yesterday but I will open it on Christmas... and according to spoilers....

Impa is the descendant of Impa, the Sage of Shadow!

Mind = Blown

:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I haven't played the game yet but I do own the game! I bought it yesterday but I will open it on Christmas... and according to spoilers....

Impa is the descendant of Impa, the Sage of Shadow!

Mind = Blown

:troll:

Wait, is this real or some kind of joke?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess not... she is still Zelda's nursemaid and one of the seven sages in this game... I think this Impa is pretty much a mix of the Impa from Ocarina of Time and the Impa from the NES manuals.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh well, that´s quite a lot better than expected. She´s at least a noticable enough character, and always important to the story of the game she´s in ever since Ocarina of Time. I have high hopes of her appearing in Zelda Wii U to. And if she does, as a Sheikah warrior, be very assured she is gonna be playable in Smash at some point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love to see a new Zelda game where Impa is portrayed as the queen/leader of the Sheikah warriors (probably ninjas)... and the adoptive mother of Sheik, an orphan who is really the long lost Princess Zelda (durr)... wait... on a second thought, it would make Sheik relevant too... never mind! :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would love to see a new Zelda game where Impa is portrayed as the queen/leader of the Sheikah warriors (probably ninjas)... and the adoptive mother of Sheik, an orphan who is really the long lost Princess Zelda (durr)... wait... on a second thought, it would make Sheik relevant too... never mind! :troll:

Truth to be told, if Sheik was ever going to re-appear, Sheikahs would also need to be there. I doubt one would get to become a warrior on par with the skills of the Sheikah by just reading some old scrolls or ****. If Sheik would ever be in another Zelda game, Impa would most likely be there, cause she is the most noticable Sheikah, and linked to Princess Zelda.

I don´t mind her being a sole survivor again either, like she was in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is weird that we have never seen any Sheikahs in any Zelda game besides Impa (Sheik doesn't count, she's Hylian). Maybe they need to make a new Zelda game that takes place before Skyward Sword happened... maybe with the same young Impa from Skyward Sword (since she was from the past, apparently)...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I´d be really interessted in a game prior Skyward Sword. Impa was Hylia the Godess her personal chosen warrior! That´s about as highly ranked in honor as a Zelda-universe character can be outside of Link being the Chosen Hero ™ and all. There was apperantly a huge war going on between good and evil when Hylia decided to send everything Skyward. So that would definitely make an interessting story.

Zelda herself wouldn´t be in it though, and that´s a bit of a problem... But Hylia´s there, so it would still work.

Impa being the only actual Sheikah in the series is a good thing though. She´s bound to get big roles cause of this. People seem to overlook this everytime. She seems set as an important character anyway.

Also, I love this artwork, posted it before but still:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Y'know, been thinking about Impa again and how underrated she exactly is.

I've been hearing a countless times from people who defend Sheik that 'Sheik is important to the Zelda timeline' while Impa would not be. I cannot stress how wrong this is. Or how this warrants her stay in any way. Take the Downfall Timeline for example, Link dies by Ganon's hand, and Zelda has to seal Ganon and the Triforce away with help of the 6 Sages. Impa, being one of them. So in this way, Impa and Zelda / Sheik are equals, or at least.. Impa and OoT Zelda are equal. Then, Impa becomes a Sage again in ALBW, making her position as a Sage 'fixed' whenever she appears and Sages are a part of the plot. Only Zelda herself did this so far.

Then there's obviously her role in Skyward Sword, which is the most important and influential role of her overal. And of course, the design she'd be based of if she was to appear in Smash. Her Skyward Sword role is especially noticable, as it's the whole beginning of Zelda, and Impa, was serving even Hylia -Zelda's first incaration, as a Goddess!- and she was even her hand-picked warrior! This is easily the biggest position as a Zelda character aside from Link and Zelda themselves. And of course Ganon. So Impa easily comes 4th when it comes to most important Zelda character. She also had a double role in Skyward Sword, and her younger form was mostly thought of as 'Impa' throughout the story, even till the final Boss. Impa being 'Granny' was by far a bigger mind **** than Zelda being Sheik. And Impa even was the first Sage to seal away the Triforce when Link and Zelda went back to the future.

I really don't see how people who claim to know the Zelda franchise don't see Impa as an important character, yet continue to praise Tingle and Tetra for their roles, all which where far less influential than Impa's roles, especially in Skyward Sword. I'm quite certain that Impa is truely the only possible newcomer for a Zelda character. And if not now, surely the next time. Especially if she where to be in Zelda Wii U, or another important new Zelda game. I could see her popularity skyrocket if that would happen. Easily pushing her to one of the more popular new additions in general.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I fully support!

Impa is the next obvious Zelda character inclusion, being the most important recurring character after the Triforce chosen ones.

Hope she makes it in. :colorful:

Azzura

Smash Rookie
To paraphrase Diddy:

People always try to make arguments against Impa, but there is always major slips:diddy: in their logic.

Impa is frequently discounted blindly; You guys need to peel:diddy::diddy: to the inside of her potential.

Will You guys just quit monkeying:diddy::diddy::diddy: around and realize Impa is likely?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
2 whole posts and he thinks he's wise enough to mock me already? :smirk:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Y'know, been thinking about Impa again and how underrated she exactly is.

I've been hearing a countless times from people who defend Sheik that 'Sheik is important to the Zelda timeline' while Impa would not be. I cannot stress how wrong this is. Or how this warrants her stay in any way. Take the Downfall Timeline for example, Link dies by Ganon's hand, and Zelda has to seal Ganon and the Triforce away with help of the 6 Sages. Impa, being one of them. So in this way, Impa and Zelda / Sheik are equals, or at least.. Impa and OoT Zelda are equal. Then, Impa becomes a Sage again in ALBW, making her position as a Sage 'fixed' whenever she appears and Sages are a part of the plot. Only Zelda herself did this so far.

Then there's obviously her role in Skyward Sword, which is the most important and influential role of her overal. And of course, the design she'd be based of if she was to appear in Smash. Her Skyward Sword role is especially noticable, as it's the whole beginning of Zelda, and Impa, was serving even Hylia -Zelda's first incaration, as a Goddess!- and she was even her hand-picked warrior! This is easily the biggest position as a Zelda character aside from Link and Zelda themselves. And of course Ganon. So Impa easily comes 4th when it comes to most important Zelda character. She also had a double role in Skyward Sword, and her younger form was mostly thought of as 'Impa' throughout the story, even till the final Boss. Impa being 'Granny' was by far a bigger mind **** than Zelda being Sheik. And Impa even was the first Sage to seal away the Triforce when Link and Zelda went back to the future.

I really don't see how people who claim to know the Zelda franchise don't see Impa as an important character, yet continue to praise Tingle and Tetra for their roles, all which where far less influential than Impa's roles, especially in Skyward Sword. I'm quite certain that Impa is truely the only possible newcomer for a Zelda character. And if not now, surely the next time. Especially if she where to be in Zelda Wii U, or another important new Zelda game. I could see her popularity skyrocket if that would happen. Easily pushing her to one of the more popular new additions in general.
Say what you will about Diddy and his obsession with Impa, this is very good logic. The only person probably on-par with Impa for a fifth slot in SM4SH is Vaati as the recurring antagonist of the Toon games, and Skull Kid a distant third for his role in multiple games. Tetra one was a one-shot and Toon Zelda is not worth the waste of a character slot, and Toon Sheik was planned for Brawl, not Tetra; Tingle is controversial and he reps his own series anyways; and Ghirahim/Zant/Midna are all one-shots as well. The only feasible Zelda characters of any true, multi-game importance, are Impa, Vaati, and Skull Kid (very much the Toad/Bowser Jr./Paper Mario of Zelda predictions, with Ghirahim/Waluigi too), and it really will end up coming down between the first two as to who gets in if another Zelda character is included. It's just a question of, if it's Impa, will Sheik stay or go?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People always think I'm majorly trolling, yet from all possible replacements that could've happened, Impa over Sheik is easily the most logical.

Marth -> Lucina? No, Marth is the most important hero / main character of Fire Emblem period.
Ike -> Chrom? No, Ike is still the face of Western Fire Emblem, had 2 games as lead character. Unique moveset in Brawl, highly popular in Brawl, featured in Awakening as second most inportant Lord next to Marth...
Toon Link -> Classic Link? Toon Link is still the most re-occuring young Link in the series. And face of his sort of subseries in Zelda. So it's logical Toon Link came back.
Snake -> Simon Belmont? Konami wanted Snake in specifically.
Olimar -> New Pikmin character? Olimar still starred more games, and even appeared in Pikmin 3 himself. Also, who to choose from the 3?
Kanto Pokémon Trainer -> Other Region Trainer? All the Kanto starters are still highly iconic, there's Pokémon the Origin, and Kanto starters in X / Y. Also, they got in Brawl despite not being the most recent.
Jigglypuff -> Anything? Jigglypuff's seniority since 64 and her rather uncomplicated moveset will still make her an easier addition than.. Anything.

Sheik -> Impa? Fixes a major design flaw in Zelda's character, removes a character that was only kept alive cause of her Top Tier status in Melee (deny it or not, this is what caused her so-called 'popularity') and is only officialy a disguise for a completely different character (OoT Zelda = / = TP nor SS Zelda), adds in a very important re-occuring Zelda character, and gives Zelda it's literal only possible Zelda newcomer.

If anyone ignorant enough to claim that Impa isn't more important than Sheik, and her separation wouldn't be far better for balance purposes, I'd really like to hear them.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay, then let's try something different: If Impa were to be included and inherited Sheik's moveset (perhaps with some changes), and was therefore separated from Zelda (or otherwise, Sheik was still in but separated from Zelda), what would Zelda have as a Down-B special? What would Sheik/Impa have for a Down-B Special, for that matter? And since the two characters would be separated, what would Sheik's/Impa's Final Smash be, or would they keep the current Final Smash and Zelda get something different (and if so, that being...?)?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I read Diddy's post earlier up, so this is in response to that.
I do think that Impa is more important to Zelda as a whole, but Sheik is more important to Super Smash Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, then let's try something different: If Impa were to be included and inherited Sheik's moveset (perhaps with some changes), and was therefore separated from Zelda (or otherwise, Sheik was still in but separated from Zelda), what would Zelda have as a Down-B special? What would Sheik/Impa have for a Down-B Special, for that matter? And since the two characters would be separated, what would Sheik's/Impa's Final Smash be, or would they keep the current Final Smash and Zelda get something different (and if so, that being...?)?

Provided Impa keeps Sheik's whole moveset? Easy sollution. Her Down B could easily be the Barrier she used in the cutscene against Ghirahim.

Zelda? She could use a moveset revamp anyway. Nayru's Love could be a Down B attack for example. And neutral B could be another form of magical attack. Maybe replace Din's Fire with a Light Ball attack? Same move, just now with light effect instead of fire. And instead, Din's Fire could be Zelda's Down B attack, but in the way Link used it in Ocarina of Time. Or she could use the Light Triforce magic attack from Twilight Princess. Possibly even Light Arrows? Her 'I'll hold Ganon for you Link' attack from Ocarina of Time could also be used in a way perhaps?

I do not want Impa to inherrit Sheik's full moveset though. Anything that could change to make her seem more unique, I'd take that. Actually, Sheik and Impa could be as different as Lucario and Mewtwo easily. But Sheik had no moves of her own anyway. She did literally nothing in Ocarina of Time, so her moveset is as made up as everything Captain Falcon does. Except for Up B... WOW! :rolleyes:

Also, canoncally, Impa thought Zelda how to Sheikah anyway. So Impa having Sheik's moveset is actually a pretty logical thing to happen. Impa's properties will make her different enough from Sheik anyway. As she's much taller, so she wouldn't play quite the same as Sheik cause of this.

A special moveset I made earlier was like this:

B: Timeshift Orb. A magical orb like attack that when struck, slows the enemy for Impa like the Timer item, but for a shorter amount of time. Need to be charged up like the Needles Sheik has, and travels about as fast but it has slightly less reach, and does no damage on impact, but it's very useful nonetheless.

Side B: Sheikah Barrier. A magical attack where Impa blocks / wards of any type of attack. In a way similar to Zelda's Nayru's Love, as it can also reflect projectiles, but only when the barrier is at full strenght (the damage from the projectile would still apply on the barrier). It can take up to 40% damage, and like the Wario Waft it's a building up move. When pressing B while using the move, Impa counters, and does a little damage, plus enough hitstun for her to attack again. If the Barrier takes more than 40% damage for Impa, effect is like a shield break.

Up B: Vanish. Like Sheik's. Basically the same thing. (Open to change this for a better idea)

Down B: This is either warping into Zelda, tag team-like, or if Impa is separate; the Deku Nut. Works like the item in Brawl, but does no damage or knockback like it does in Brawl, only stunning.

But since I mainly support a separate Impa, think of Down B as the Deku Nut. Or Down B is Sheikah Barrier, and all other specials are Sheik's.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
There's a case for Impa replacing Sheik, but I think they can also co-exist. Impa would actually work well as a "semi-clone" of Sheik, maybe a bit heavier (especially if based in Ocarina Impa) considering clones are added because of their "ease of development".

Also, becoming a clone of Sheik is probably Impa's best chance to be included.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they can co-excist, am down for that. However, I myself don't see this happening. It's time for Sheik to go in my opinion. Cause really, is it logical for Sheik to stay in Smash for the upcoming games despite new Zelda games coming out without Sheik in it?

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
If they can co-excist, am down for that. However, I myself don't see this happening. It's time for Sheik to go in my opinion. Cause really, is it logical for Sheik to stay in Smash for the upcoming games despite new Zelda games coming out without Sheik in it?
By the same logic, isn't it time to remove Jigglypuff since she hasn't been important to Pokemon for years? At least Sheik has had Ocarina of Time 3D and was a guest objects in Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jigglypuff however was still always present in the Pokémon games. Sheik hasn't appeared in any Zelda game that isn't named Ocarina of Time. Scribblenaut isn't a Zelda game, so her appearance there doesn't hold much vallue at all.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff however was still always present in the Pokémon games. Sheik hasn't appeared in any Zelda game that isn't named Ocarina of Time. Scribblenaut isn't a Zelda game, so her appearance there doesn't hold much vallue at all.

I suppose at this point your best bet is to wait a bit longer. People keep speculating that Zelda will be revealed next for various reasons. If she is, we will see if Sheik is still with her. If no screenshots of Sheik are shown, then hope for Impa goes up drastically. If we see a revamped Sheik, I think its safe to say we probably won't see Impa (we could see both but having a clone of half of a character seems to undermine the clone significantly. I know Zelda and Sheik are unique but playing a Sheik-clone Impa is like playing Zelda without the option of Zelda...what's the point?).

So yeah, let's just wait until Zelda is unveiled.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah we won't know if Sheik is still with her unless we see her specifically using Transform. Brawl's Dojo had Sheik revealed as the last veteran. She wasn't revealed with Zelda, neither did they say anything about Zelda transforming into Sheik, or dropping any hints towards it. Also, Zero Suit Samus hasn't been shown yet, but we did saw the Zero Laser again at least (as the only Final Smash) so hints have been dropped towards ZSS at least.

We'll see. I think a lot depends on what design Zelda will be using. Am thinking everyone will automatically assume Sheik is in to if we see TP Zelda. I won't jump into conclusions however. Twilight Princess also didn't feature Sheik. Impa could still be used, however TP designed Zelda makes Brawl Sheik fit in since it's been done in Brawl. Personally, am not expecting Zelda to be 100% TP designed anyway, but mixed like Link. Skyward Sword Zelda is also still an option, or a totally different Zelda altogheter (which is basically what Link is).

What I do know however is that it's weird Zelda will be revealed after Toon Link. Think Zelda might've undergone quite some changes, and that's why Toon Link was revealed first. Peach for example was revealed right after Luigi, so I think it's weird they wait so long to show Zelda. Don't even think ALBW is to blame. Peach also didn't got revealed with a Mario game.

Dunno, this might hint on big changes in Zelda's moveset and that she's not ready to be showcased yet. Think that this is exactly why we haven't seen Yoshi yet either.

If we see Impa being revealed after Zelda however, rest assured Sheik isn't in. Then again, even WITH Sheik, Impa can still get in. Impa with an updated SS design still wouldn't look weird next to Link for example.

I'll just keep waiting even if it takes me 10.000 years

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
People always think I'm majorly trolling, yet from all possible replacements that could've happened, Impa over Sheik is easily the most logical.

Marth -> Lucina? No, Marth is the most important hero / main character of Fire Emblem period.
Ike -> Chrom? No, Ike is still the face of Western Fire Emblem, had 2 games as lead character. Unique moveset in Brawl, highly popular in Brawl, featured in Awakening as second most inportant Lord next to Marth...
Toon Link -> Classic Link? Toon Link is still the most re-occuring young Link in the series. And face of his sort of subseries in Zelda. So it's logical Toon Link came back.
Snake -> Simon Belmont? Konami wanted Snake in specifically.
Olimar -> New Pikmin character? Olimar still starred more games, and even appeared in Pikmin 3 himself. Also, who to choose from the 3?
Kanto Pokémon Trainer -> Other Region Trainer? All the Kanto starters are still highly iconic, there's Pokémon the Origin, and Kanto starters in X / Y. Also, they got in Brawl despite not being the most recent.
Jigglypuff -> Anything? Jigglypuff's seniority since 64 and her rather uncomplicated moveset will still make her an easier addition than.. Anything.

Sheik -> Impa? Fixes a major design flaw in Zelda's character, removes a character that was only kept alive cause of her Top Tier status in Melee (deny it or not, this is what caused her so-called 'popularity') and is only officialy a disguise for a completely different character (OoT Zelda = / = TP nor SS Zelda), adds in a very important re-occuring Zelda character, and gives Zelda it's literal only possible Zelda newcomer.

If anyone ignorant enough to claim that Impa isn't more important than Sheik, and her separation wouldn't be far better for balance purposes, I'd really like to hear them.

You know what? I'll fully concede Impa is far more important to the overall Zelda series than Sheik is, considering several different incarnations as opposed to a single one. If Impa were to potentially replace Sheik or even show up as a stand-alone character (whatever the probability), she certainly wouldn't be undeserving of such a task. She would fit right in comfortably.

I also do apologize for acting like an asshole in the other thread.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know what? I'll fully concede Impa is far more important to the overall Zelda series than Sheik is, considering several different incarnations as opposed to a single one. If Impa were to potentially replace Sheik or even show up as a stand-alone character (whatever the probability), she certainly wouldn't be undeserving of such a task. She would fit right in comfortably.

I also do apologize for acting like an ******* in the other thread.
You are the first who ever did this... So I appriciate this greatly! :) It's no problem at all, and if I came off as an asshole to, my apologies, am just not used to people actually treating the subject seriously, less even so changing their minds about it! Certainly refreshing!

Also am gonna post this quote of myself here for future reference for myself, and explanation of my opinion in general:

Ok so here it goes.

Sheik, as a Zelda character isn't really altogheter an important character to the Zelda universe as a whole. She has had only 1 role and that's it. She was a disguise for Zelda, who only showed up to teach you a song, tell you a poem and dissapear. Not a whole lot of debt about her. But alas, turns out she's Zelda.

Zelda is the namesake of the series obviously. The Zelda we've seen in Smash so far, was by her introduction soley based on her Ocarina of Time appearance. By time, the most important role Zelda probably had in the series so it was only logical. In Brawl, she was based on her appearance in Twilight Princess, using the same moves from Ocarina of Time still. However, there was no Sheik in Twilight Princess. And here comes a tricky part with 2 different sources saying opposite things:

1) A source claimed Sheik was planned for Twilight Princess and was drafted for. But didn't make it in the final game because reasons.
2) Another source claims the model of Sheik was 100% made for Brawl.

Anyway, Sheik made it in Brawl which was sort of weird seeing many expected her gone. Sheik was a popular character in Melee however. Mostly due to her tier placement, and to avoid people saying 'TIERS DUN MATTER / DUN EXCIST' let's just say she was an extremely powerful character that was easy to use and pick up. Very much unlike other top tiers as Fox, Falco and Marth who have a much higher learning curve. Alas, Sheik was nerfed in Brawl greatly and nobody played her again. Not even the casual crowd or the 'hardcore Melee crowd' saw much appeal in Sheik.

Now, Zelda had increasingly important roles after Ocarina of Time. And since Sheik = Ocarina of Time Zelda, and Zelda and Link are different incarations everytime, Sheik obviously didn't appear in any of the following games. Very little characters do re-appear in Zelda lore however. Only Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and just a handful of others do. And even these handful of others and Ganon(dorf) are not a given.

Having Sheik in Zelda's moveset kinda goes against making Zelda being a well designed character that portraits her roles in the games well. She's always a person of high magical abilities however, so Din's Fire, Faore's Wind and Nayru's Love are hardly a bad thing, especially as they refer to the Goddesses of Hyrule. Sheik... Is just Zelda in a disguise. And since it was such a huge spoiler in Ocarina of Time that Sheik = Zelda, I honestly doubt we are ever gonna see Sheik again in a Zelda game? Why? Obvious spoilers.

In Smash, due to Sheik being so strong in Melee, nobody used Zelda. In Brawl, because Zelda was so horrible and Sheik slightly less so, almost nobody used Zelda. Yet, the two are balanced to match ONE playstyle which is the 'officially implied' ; soften up with swift Sheik, finish off with slow Zelda. Zelda being incredibly slow, light, immobile and laggy has suffered immediately from this. There was no reason to play as Zelda, as her style was written extremely badly. And Sheik could finish far more effectively in Melee anyway. In Brawl, she has a terrible time killing off enemies but it's still better than using Zelda who has like no options vs any character besides Ganondorf.

Instead of stressing a 'perfect balance' between these two characters that's seemingly as hard as try to implement Ridley in Smash (joke) and stressing a 'SHEIK SHOULD BE IN CUZ VETERAN' approach, why not just scrap Sheik entirely? Sheik is the 'sub' character to Zelda, no-one with a sane mind would say that Sheik is more important than Zelda. Zelda is obviously the 'main' character, much like Pokémon Trainer is the 'main' character out of the trio, and Samus > Zero Suit Samus. No Sheik would allow to try a different approach to Zelda's moveset, which is much needed as a two-time low tier character and even BOTTOM tier character in Brawl.

Sheik's moveset doesn't have to be scrapped entirely. Use it to make Impa I say. A character that has appeared many times throughout Zelda, and had an extremely important and influential (to the plot and in general) role in Skyward Sword, with fighting abilities of her own. Unlike Sheik, who had a moveset entirely made out of scratch aside from her Up B. Canoncally, Zelda was even trained by Impa to become Sheik so it's a no-brainer Impa thought her how to fight to. Despite that, Impa's role in Skyward Sword is bigger than Sheik's was. And since Impa also appears in Ocarina of Time, and this being the only game that gives Sheik any sort of 'relevance', it automatically makes Impa more relevant to. Sheik cannot appear in a Zelda game where there's no Sheikah tribe. And thusfar, the only Sheikah in the series are Impa and Sheik.

So personally, I see the ideal situation as one where Impa replaces Sheik as a separate character, freeing up Zelda's Down B and limited playstyle. And also keeping an extremely irrelevant, unimportant character out of Smash who's STILL using a full moveset thus limits ammount of newcomers / time in general. Also, it gives the Legend of Zelda a newcomer in Smash akin to how Brawl did it without changing too much around.

Melee Roster: Link, Zelda / Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link
Brawl Roster: Link, Zelda / Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link

Young Link and Toon Link both served as 'child Link' and fulfill a similar role with similar movesets yet with changes all around. This is why Toon Link was also a better character all around than Young Link perhaps. No matter, Zelda still got a newcomer and little has changed.

Hypotetical Zelda Roster for Smash 4:
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Impa

Sheik and Impa serve as 'Sheikah' rep, and Zelda is revamped to something better. Impa isn't a full Sheik replacement either, she's different enough to warrant herself as a newcomer, like Toon Link (but she has way more potential than cloney Brawl Toon Link however). Let's keep it true to Sakurai and expect little changes expect some moves thrown out for others and a full Down B. Am personally content with that, but could even provide a highly unique moveset.

Impa is a far more important Zelda character, and is one of the few characters outside of Link, Zelda and Ganon to have important roles throughout the series. You can't tell me that this isn't at least logical. To quote an older post of mine:

Hope I informed you well enough.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So... is this Diddy's lair?

I'd like to say I'm not opposed to Impa appearing, but not over Sheik. As her own character. Here's a bit of a moveset:

Neutral B: Needlestorm. In the only move borrowed from Sheik, Impa fires a barrage of needles at the opponent. Unlike Sheik's, however, these are poisonous and travel faster, but deal less damage and have less range.

Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut downward, creating a barrier of smoke. This stuns opponents, as well as makes her invisible for a few seconds, allowing her to take advantage of their damaged state without letting them see her.

Up B: Gossip Stone. She grabs onto a Gossip Stone as it rockets upward, and you can change it's direction as it flies until it runs out of power and falls below. She is not in free fall, but cannot summon another Gossip Stone.

Down B: Teleport. She waves her arm as, in a puff of smoke, she disappears and teleports in any direction.

Final Smash: Lens of Truth. Zelda's Lullaby plays as Impa holds up the Lens of Truth. Light shines through it as she now is invincible to all attacks (she can see what attacks her foes will perform), and has increased speed, strength and agility (to counter any attacks).

Impa is as fast, if not faster, than Sheik, and also is able to carry items in her grab, much like DK, with her cow-lifting prowess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, the new Zelda game's name is gonna be Hyrule Warriors.

Am seriously thinking Impa has a good chance to be one of these warriors!

Hype

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
So, the new Zelda game's name is gonna be Hyrule Warriors.

Am seriously thinking Impa has a good chance to be one of these warriors!

Hype
This would be awesome. Also, the designs appear to be inspired from Skyward Sword.. so that helps I guess haha.

On a different note.. I've played through Skyward Sword and it's unfortunate that it didn't sell well in Japan, because it's great. I'm hoping that Zelda's design in Smash 4 is based on that game, although I expect it to be more based on Twilight Princess with influences from other games. Impa is a great character in that game, and I would be very happy if that version of her made it into Smash Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This being 'Zelda Wii U' in the first place is good news for Impa! Skyward Sword enemies, designs and landscapes to... This looks like the war against Demise, first edition! If so, Impa will most likely appear as this is the timeline where she is still young. She can also just re-incarnate.

With Rosalina's confirmation to, I think Impa has an extremely good shot at being playable next to!

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
If they go for a large playable cast like most dynasty warrior games(and I really hope they do because there's a lot of Zelda characters I want to play as. Fingers crossed for Gannondorf as a secret character so we can finally play as him outside smash) I would be surprised if Impa wasn't playable, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Sheik got a Skyward Sword design and was playable too. :p Not that her and Impa are mutually exclusive or anything(I'm mostly just teasing you). Or that I think this game affects either of their chances.

Also it remains to be seen if timeline matters at all. Dynasty Warriors Gundam threw continuity out the window and had characters from different time periods and universes interacting. It could also be using the Skyward sword designs but be a totally different Link, like how FSA and Minish Cap used Wind Waker designs but were completely diffrent Links in completely different settings and times.

Also it's not 'Zelda Wii U' since that's already the working title for a different Zelda game that's supposed to be revealed at E3. It's just a Zelda spin-off that's ON the Wii U.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
This being 'Zelda Wii U' in the first place is good news for Impa! Skyward Sword enemies, designs and landscapes to... This looks like the war against Demise, first edition! If so, Impa will most likely appear as this is the timeline where she is still young. She can also just re-incarnate.
You need to read the manga xD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh, well that's awesome to! In any case, I can really see Impa being in this game and with another Nintendo Direct, could see her getting revealed like Rosalina.

The game looks amazing though! So fast! Those Secret Sword techniques are back to! That got me hyped the most. Just look how easily Link kills all those Bokoblins. Just like 'The Horde' in Skyward Sword. If I get a Wii U, this game will definitely be bought by me!

You need to read the manga xD
I did, just yesterday actually!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Wow, Dynasty Warriors but set in Hyrule... that's super ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I've joked about this before, I never would've thought it could actually happen.

But, yeah, if it's being true to the DW spirit, you'd definitely be able to play as Impa.
And Zelda.
And Groose.
And Ghirahim.
And Demise.
And dozens of other characters you only vaguely remember.

Top Bottom