• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
B: I know that everyone will hate me for saying this, but I do think Sakurai is adding more women on purpose, and the prime candidates are Palutena and Impa. We already have Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and most likely Villager (alternate costume), so it's not too much of a stretch after his comment about Zelda.
I know this isn't about Impa but you forgot Dixie Kong,one of the most likely and obvious newcomers IMO.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Diddy, the "revealed specials" argument is invalid for if the Phantom was a new special, it'd be identified on Miiverse—unless Sakurai is withholding such information for ambiguity's sake.

Don't assume the Goddess spells are passed down from generation to generation. The spells were granted by three Great Fairies and no incarnation of Zelda or Legend of Zelda have displayed their use since Ocarina of Time. They were appropriated into Zelda's moveset ca. Melee because there wasn't much else to use. They were a fine excuse, albeit part of Link's arsenal, for their Golden Goddess connection and magical properties. They were far more befitting of Zelda than Link, but canonically (outside of Smash), they are relevant only to the Great Fairies and Link.

Also, there is one Sheikah in Twilight Princess: Impaz. She's not fighting material, but then again no one thought Yoda was either. Furthermore, Zelda's cloaked appearance in TP bore a Sheikah Eye, with the lower half of her face garbed as well. It can be inferred this robed appearance spiritually succeeded Sheik.

Diddy, you know I support Impa endlessly, but I find your opinion on the attacking end of the stick far too often. Over-zealous to the point of regular contradiction. You could convince more of your Impa campaign if you stepped back and breathed for once.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's even slashing Fox on Battlefield. That is bizarrely similar. Nice find Master Rapier!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
All this stems from your last comment. Do you really think there will be no cuts? The man even apologized in advance for cuts he'll make. It's good wordplay, that's for sure but no way it confirms absence of cuts in anyway.
I never said there won't be any cuts.

Phantom is likely an attack for Zelda, and let me explain why again:

-All characters revealed so far show off a couple of special moves. Most of the time 2, but some 3. No character has yet revealed all moves yet. Take DK and Link for example, all their moves aside from their Side B have been revealed. Could hint that their Side B's have been tweaked or replaced or something else.
Nothing but pure speculation on your part. It could even be a Smash attack.

-If the Phantom wouldn't be an attack, but an Assist Trophy, it would most likely have the pink eyes. Whereas not here. It looks like Zelda herself has spawned it and could control it with 'magic' (aka similary to how Rosalina controls her Lumas).
The Phantom itself is ambiguous in design, given that it has elements from Zelda-controlled Phantoms and normal Phantoms.

-Speaking of Rosalina and her Lumas : Rosalina & Luma. Zelda's reveal came right after hers, and just perhaps Sakurai wants to make better use of the Wii U's control pad by making more characters rely on it for their moves? Means that Pokémon Trainer also could have a gimmick like this, or that Diddy & Dixie become playable in a tagteam similary working like this. Or Ice Climbers, with Nana actually being player controled this time.
What would be your argument if Zelda and Rosalina's reveals weren't so close and had other characters revealed in-between? You're looking way too deep into things.

I don't think Sakurai will implement so much things with the Gamepad, considering that only 2 can be connected at each time, while Smash is a 4-player game. Your argument does, however, hold validity if, and only if, the Wii U console is updated to support 4 Gamepads AND the Gamepad is mandatory to play the game, which is a huge stretch, considering that the game was played with Pro controllers at the E3 demonstration.

-Phantom Zelda was the only playable Zelda ever. And don't ****ing start with the CDi please... :rolleyes:
Fair enough, but bear in mind that TP Zelda transforming into Sheik makes as much sense as she summoning a Phantom.

Impa and Sheik could co-excist. However, if Sheik is gone, Impa becomes all the more likely. Also earlier in this thread, Pacack stated that Sakurai doesn't care about Sheik at all he just cares about her moveset as he wanted a ninja character. This makes a separate ninja character much more interessting for him most likely. And this cannot be acchieved with Sheik, but it can with Impa.
When did Sakurai state that he only chose Sheik because he's a ninja-like character? By that logic, he could have chosen Impa and Zelda as separate characters since Melee, because, like Sheik, Impa in OoT had a ninja-like design, much like SS Impa.

Zelda & Sheik working as a stance character is hilarious. This is no Marvel vs Capcom. And personally, I really don't want to see it cause it would look awkward switching so quickly between Zelda and Sheik.
She does transform from Sheik to Zelda in an instant in OoT. Tell me why wouldn't that make sense? Does she really need some fancy animation for players understand she's transforming? She could just strike a quick pose and *poof!* transform instantly. The problem with Brawl was the absurdly long loading time.

Do remember that being awkward is your perception and yours alone, so this is an entirely subjective matter.

It's also highly unlikely that any of the Goddess Spells would be removed just to make place for Transform. :rolleyes: It's one of the most arrogant claims I've heard. Din, Nayru and Faore formed the Triforce. Zelda has moves representing that. It makes far more sence that the Hyrule Royal Family has passed down these spells each generatation for Zelda to use than Zelda suddenly being able to Sheikah. There are no Sheikah in Twilight Princess. Sheik logically cannot excist. And again, this Phantom will likely NOT be a Side B or Neutral B.
Again, subjective speculation and a mere opinion of yours. Not to mentions several inconsistencies and bias in your argument.

TP Zelda transforming into Sheik makes as much sense as TP Zelda summoning a Phantom from Spirit Tracks. There are no Phantoms in Twilight Princess, yet you're defending it as a move for Zelda, while dismissing Sheik for not making sense for TP Zelda. If Sheik shouldn't be a transformation for TP Zelda, then Phantom shouldn't be a part of TP Zelda's moveset.

And if the Goddess Spells were passed down to future generation Zeldas, why wouldn't Sheik transformation be passed as well? It makes as much sense.

I should remind you that Zelda in Smash is a composite character, having elements from several incarnations of Zelda. So, Zelda in her Twilight Princess design having the Phantom from Spirit Tracks and Sheik from Ocarina of Time in her moveset isn't far fetched at all.

Sakurai has already replaced Young Link with Toon Link before. What again is the problem with keeping characters up to date?
Toon Link and Young Link are essentially the same thing: a younger version of Link, whereas Sheik is part of Zelda and Impa is a separate character. Not exactly on the same boat, right?

This is also the same argument people used to defend A Link Between Worlds Link as a Toon Link replacement and we know what happened...

To finish this, my opinion is: we don't know anything and Sheik can return, regardless of Impa being a newcomer or Phantoms being part of Zelda's moveset.

I think we should just agree to disagree. This is going in circles.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Frostwraith bringing the fire. Diddy, please don't argue this, you're only going to embarrass yourself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am gonna argue it anyway man...

There are going to be cuts. And simply said, it would make far more sence if a character from a well-presented series gets cut. And so far, the biggest series yet in Smash are Zelda and Pokémon. Zelda is back, and seriously... You think they'd rather cut Ganondorf instead of Sheik?

Maybe it's pure speculation for you, but remember where speculation itself comes from.

I might be wrong though about the Gamepad, but didn't Sakurai say that the Lumas would be controlled with the Gamepad before? I'll admit my mistake there if he didn't. Anyway, my point still stands, the Phantom could be controlled in a similar fashion as the Lumas.

I have no source about Sakurai stating that about Sheik. It was said last page in this thread, and I myself asked for a source to.

Could speculate more why the Phantom looks like it does, but it matches Zelda's color palette greatly, and has no pink eyes. It looks like it has no free will of it's own, thus it to me hints that Zelda is controling it herself with her 'magic' (aka, you do so with your controller). It might not make too much sence, but the Phantom is arguebly a bigger gameplay important element than Sheik was. And to me, it seems it would improve Zelda's style by a whole lot. Don't think there's any deep reasoning for it besides this. Then agian, it's speculation. Which you shouldn't blame me for, cause it's all we've been doing so for a long time.

You may be right though with the bias. Of course there is. TP Zelda shouldn't summon the Phantom either. Yet it seems like she's doing exactly just that. In overall representation, it's probably better for Zelda's overall abilities, as this is a nod to Toon Zelda. So overall, Phantom being summoned by TP's Zelda is better representation of the overall series. And clearly a way to avoid having to add Toon Zelda.

Spells are easier to pass down, cause in Ocarina of Time, the spells where items. How can you 'pass down' Sheik anyway? Impa could've been instructed to teach each Zelda incarnation how to be like a Sheikah, but Impa wasn't in Twilight Princess, and neither where other Sheikah.

Think it's best to agree to disagree indeed. We can at least agree on that. And this was probably done on purpose of us speculating. TO ME PERSONALLY... This suggests Sakurai wants us to discuss Sheik's fate, and the possbility that she might be gone. Then again, try to put yourself in another one's shoes to. People have been talking **** to me about this exact thing before, and now... It looks like this exact thing exactly is gonna happen. If you can't see where I'm coming form, and why I take this stance on this matter, I think you seriously lack some empathy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There is only so much you can do with a sword afterall... I don't see that much alikeness actually. Doubt that the Phantom can even jump.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah a the glow from the slash is all they look to share, it isnt that similar IMO, its a bit of a stretch if you ask me. And really i cant see the phantom running anywhere near as spastic as goroh did.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
3 questions:
What if The Phantom's Pink Eyes Blink and this is just a frame with no eyes or they just overlooked that small detail or yet to implement it?
Did anyone notice the weird shield I feel like some of the shield is missing It looks like the sword slashed it?
Could it be one of her Throws or a smashes instead of a special?
If it is a special maybe its more like villagers tree than the luma.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It probably would've showed it eyes if it did. Doubt it's meant to be that vague of a picture. Throws is extremely unlikely. And Smashes? Am personally hoping for different changes. The same pose as Zelda asumes already states Zelda is in free control if the Knight atacks. It could indeed be more similar in fucntion to the Villager's tree indeed though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hahah it's been long since I last posted that video! It certainly looks natural for Impa to replace Sheik's playstyle. Far better than any other texture hacks I've seen. She might be a bit too small though, SS Impa would probably be a little taller. Maybe a little shorter than Rosalina, but still quite tall.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
There is only so much you can do with a sword afterall... I don't see that much alikeness actually. Doubt that the Phantom can even jump.
Yes there is only so much you can do with a sword which is why Link, Marth, and Ike are all clones right? Even Toon Link uses the sword differently than Adult Link.

We have to top heavy swords men in almost the exact pose from one another leaving a cross shape slash mark on Fox. Saying he can't jump is ridiculous. You know in Pre-brawl they said ROB couldn't jump either.

I'm not siding whether he's an AT or Zelda's new special I'm just calling like I see it.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Yes there is only so much you can do with a sword which is why Link, Marth, and Ike are all clones right? Even Toon Link uses the sword differently than Adult Link.
The attacks in the pictures are similar because both are basic slashes, even Link and Marth have attacks that looks somewhat similar to those pictured.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No character will be controlled solely with the Gamepad. Sakurai's not going to restrict the ability of players to use their favorite characters.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Hello, Impa fans. Just stopping in (I'm an Ice Climber dude); haven't read the thread. I think you all are looking pretty good for character possibilities at the moment and I wanted to share my newfound support.

Gerudo Valley stage... I could see why Sakurai would want to do Impa instead of Sheik. Sheik hasn't been in a game since OoT, whereas Impa is reoccurring. Also, I feel like he would want to add a new character slot to buff out the look of the roster, rather than hide an extra character within Zelda (I would assume Impa would take Sheik's moves). Maybe Impa could be a heavier Sheik clone with a unique down-B. I'm sure this has all been said, but I wanted to stop by and share anyway.

Good luck!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really don't see Impa taking Sheik's moves. Sakurai wouldn't cut a character as popular as Sheik just to model-swap her. You can cite the example of Young Link and Toon Link, but that was different as the character replacing one form of Link was another Link.

If we get Impa, she'll have a more unique moveset. Think Ike replacing Roy rather than Toon Link replacing Young Link.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really don't see Impa taking Sheik's moves. Sakurai wouldn't cut a character as popular as Sheik just to model-swap her. You can cite the example of Young Link and Toon Link, but that was different as the character replacing one form of Link was another Link.

If we get Impa, she'll have a more unique moveset. Think Ike replacing Roy rather than Toon Link replacing Young Link.
Impa taught Zelda all her moves, and thus Sheik was born. While not the same incarnation, Skyward Impa has proven to know even more than her OoT counterpart. What it comes down to is: Sheikah disguise vs. Sheikah master. It's just about as similar as Toon Link vs. Young Link in that they're both young Links. Perhaps Toon Link won because Young Link was the same exact person as Link (as is the case with Mario and Dr. Mario). The only thing differentiating Zelda and Sheik from these comparisons are their transformation ability. Between Sheik and Impa, the transformation is the only advantage Sheik really has as far as uniqueness goes. The role they may or may not be battling over is the "Sheikah" archetype.

That said, I don't foresee Impa simply stealing Sheik's moveset, using instead an evolved form. I don't think it would be as different as Ike v. Roy though.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Oh, I agree that ample lore justification for Impa having Sheik's moveset certainly exists. I'm speaking from a gameplay perspective. I doubt Sakurai would cut a popular two-time veteran just to replace her with Sheik 2.0. Doesn't really seem like his style. Especially given the newcomers we've already seen, Sakurai seems to be striving for the inclusion of unique and remarkable movesets, hence why Impa would likely have a more original move roster.

I would disagree that any battle over the "Sheikah" archetype exists in the first place. There's certainly no Highlander-style battle over the archetype of "caped sword-wielding Lord" among the Fire Emblem reps, nor "blaster-wielding space commando" among Star Fox reps, nor "PK user" among Mother reps. Sheik and Impa could easily coexist in the same roster.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Did Sakurai specifically said that about Sheik!? :eek: I never knew this! Where did you read that up? I always suspected it, mind you but to have an actual confirmation is even better! In that way, it makes Impa even more likely cause Sakurai probably never intended his 'ninja character' to be completely dependant on his 'mage character'. Again, I love to believe this but I'd like to see where it comes from cause if I use this arguement, people are gonna ask me for source myself. :p
I have absolutely no idea where I read it. I'll google it a bit and try and find it, but I guarantee nothing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What I think about this is simple: Impa offers far more potential than Sheik. I think he would pick Impa because of her many options. She could easily be an unique new character, with Sheik left intact, or she would not. Rosalina being there, despite what everyone said before about her alikeness to Peach, really opened up the door for Impa.

If Sakurai takes priority in making new characters before older ones, as he did with Brawl with Lucario and Ike taking priority over Mewtwo and Roy, yet taking a few moves of them, I could see Impa being just that. She could be created as an original character first, but due to time constraints, Sheik could be cut and Impa takes a few moves of her.

Don't say this never happened either! Just look at how many of Mewtwo's moves where used as leftover attacks for other characters! Charizard: Forward Tilt. Lucas: Down Smash. Lucario: Aura Sphere and Forward Smash. Wolf: Forward Aerial. That's quite some moves Mewtwo left to other characters. Ike also has Eruption for example, which is quite weird considering Ike never had affinity with the element fire in Fire Emblem at all, aside from the ending of Radiant Dawn (and that was blue fire).

Think Sheik is easier to cut from other veterans to cause she's not a 'full character'. She is part of Zelda. Zelda herself not neccecarly part of her, since Zelda is definitely the more important character overall. Same with Samus and Zero Suit Samus. Pokémon Trainer as a concept also always will be on the roster most likely, it's his Pokémon that would change. Hope you see what I mean with this.

Impa has the best chances yet of becoming playable out of all Zelda newcomers left. Toon Zelda looks deconfirmed through the Phantom. If it's an AT or a new attack for Zelda, it doesn't matter. It just happens if the Phantom is an attack, Sheik is likely out. And if Sheik is out, Impa is easily the most likely Zelda character to appear after Ganondorf.

Tingle I never really saw as any treath. The Villager's Up B basically confirms to me we won't see Tingle. Unless Tingle becomes a really weird semi-clone of Villager. And I doubt we'd wanna see that...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
When it comes to the Phantom and its supposed AT status, I have one question...why would they change its art style? If it were an assist trophy, it would still be in the toon style (similar to Toon Link's). The only reason to change the art style for Phantom Zelda is so it can work as a move for Zelda. Nothing else really makes sense.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It matches Zelda's color pallete. It looks more realistic like Link and Zelda, instead of Toon Link as well as you said. I agree with that a lot, yet some people state that the Phantom matches Toon Link's art style more. I haven't played Spirit Tracks, but I know that the Phantom with Toon Zelda in it is supposed to have pink eyes. Where does the Phantom originate from anyway? Did Toon Zelda just choose to posess a random empty armour? Or does it signify anything? Am interessted now actually.

It's also a laughable idea that the Phantom would replace any attack but Transform. I mean, it's a whole new gimmick. Why wouldn't they use that as an oppertunity to replace an old, outdated one?

The reign of Sheik seems to be over. Time for Impa to take the crown.

Spire

III
BRoomer
In Spirit Tracks, Link and Zelda's Spirit ascend the many floors of the Tower of Spirits at integral chapters in the game. As they climb the tower, they encounter a variety of Phantoms. Link must strike the Phantom's weak point (its back) to stun it, enabling Zelda to enter and possess the suit of armor. She can hop from Phantom to Phantom. When Zelda possesses a Phantom, its armor color changes to the pink-grey seen in the artwork and the new SSB4 screenshot.

The Phantoms are guardians of the Tower of Spirits.

Diddy, the Phantom could be relegated to certain smash attacks. It could simply appear to quickly attack from a distance, lending Zelda a better spacing game. It may not be a special at all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It matches Zelda's color pallete. It looks more realistic like Link and Zelda, instead of Toon Link as well as you said. I agree with that a lot, yet some people state that the Phantom matches Toon Link's art style more. I haven't played Spirit Tracks, but I know that the Phantom with Toon Zelda in it is supposed to have pink eyes. Where does the Phantom originate from anyway? Did Toon Zelda just choose to posess a random empty armour? Or does it signify anything? Am interessted now actually.
The Phantom is an enemy in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Zelda just possessed one. (feel free to read about them here: http://zeldawiki.org/Phantom_Zelda)

It's also a laughable idea that the Phantom would replace any attack but Transform. I mean, it's a whole new gimmick. Why wouldn't they use that as an oppertunity to replace an old, outdated one?

The reign of Sheik seems to be over. Time for Impa to take the crown.
As a Sheik/Zelda main, I have to point out that her smashes are...lacking. Sakurai could have changed either her side or down smash easily. I think it's more likely that he removed transform, don't get me wrong, but it would be foolish to ignore all the possibilities.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do think it's a special attack however. The pose Zelda strikes in both screenshots is my 'proof' cause I think after summoning the Phantom, Zelda has free control. That's why she's taunting. A Smash attack is often less complicated, even if it involves planting grenades like Snake or example. The attack stays on the spot, so to say. The Phantom will spawn, and move around. I think it's a whole new gimmick in Zelda's moveset, and it trades off for an old gimmick. It's not really rocket science here...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do think it's a special attack however. The pose Zelda strikes in both screenshots is my 'proof' cause I think after summoning the Phantom, Zelda has free control. That's why she's taunting. A Smash attack is often less complicated, even if it involves planting grenades like Snake or example. The attack stays on the spot, so to say. The Phantom will spawn, and move around. I think it's a whole new gimmick in Zelda's moveset, and it trades off for an old gimmick. It's not really rocket science here...
That's very interesting, and it's certainly possible. I was thinking that it was just summoned to attack before it disappears, which would still explain Zelda's pose in the other picture. If I'm honest, It probably makes more sense for it to be a summon and move around deal.

Here's a question for you, Diddy. If Impa does replace Sheik, there's the possibility that Sakurai would want another transforming character on the roster. If he did, who could fit the bill? (Pokemon Trainer could fit this archetype, but I was thinking a character with just two transformations.)

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's not rocket science, it's pseudo science, founded on unproven principles with limited data. I think your Impa adamance has blinded you from positing a wider perspective of potential. Your over-conclusiveness is as erroneous as your contenders who claim to know the Phantom is an Assist Trophy.

The best ground to stand on is the open mind. If Sakurai fails to deliver, your disappointment will weigh as heavy as your expectations. If he does deliver, you may experience an enthusiastic victory, one that I pray won't polish your ego to an offensive shine. This is your choice.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's not rocket science, it's pseudo science, founded on unproven principles with limited data. I think your Impa adamance has blinded you from positing a wider perspective of potential. Your over-conclusiveness is as erroneous as your contenders who claim to know the Phantom is an Assist Trophy.

The best ground to stand on is the open mind. If Sakurai fails to deliver, your disappointment will weigh as heavy as your expectations. If he does deliver, you may experience an enthusiastic victory, one that I pray won't polish your ego to an offensive shine. This is your choice.
I agree that he's too adamant about Impa, sure...but you're coming across as a little pretentious.

(Note: this is not meant to offend you. Just...calm down a little.)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I just don't want to see Diddy depressed when Impa doesn't make the cut. It's easy to get depressed when we invest a lot of time into something that fails: in this case, promoting Impa.

I've seen Diddy shove Impa in peoples' faces and if she were to make it, I could see him rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. This is something else I'd rather not see happen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's very interesting, and it's certainly possible. I was thinking that it was just summoned to attack before it disappears, which would still explain Zelda's pose in the other picture. If I'm honest, It probably makes more sense for it to be a summon and move around deal.

Here's a question for you, Diddy. If Impa does replace Sheik, there's the possibility that Sakurai would want another transforming character on the roster. If he did, who could fit the bill? (Pokemon Trainer could fit this archetype, but I was thinking a character with just two transformations.)
Maybe Zelda can temporary control the Phantom as long as Down B is pressed. If released, Zelda can move herself and the Phantom follows it's own AI. Doubt it would be an overly complicated attack. Just change directions and choose when to swing the blade.

Not sure about other transformation characters though. Diddy and Dixie seems a possibilty, but not one am exactly overly excited about. It does have potential however. Cool wth any other newcomer though. There's a Japan only retro character duo named Donbe and... Hikari? Not sure what they do however.

My ego has nothing to do with it. Could accept AT status and even Sheik's return. Impa remains the most likely character with Toon Zelda not being a possibilty anymore though. So that's a victory on it's own. ;) Am not scared for consuquences being wrong, being right just has that much more vallue. :)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Maybe Zelda can temporary control the Phantom as long as Down B is pressed. If released, Zelda can move herself and the Phantom follows it's own AI. Doubt it would be an overly complicated attack. Just change directions and choose when to swing the blade.

Not sure about other transformation characters though. Diddy and Dixie seems a possibilty, but not one am exactly overly excited about. It does have potential however. Cool wth any other newcomer though. There's a Japan only retro character duo named Donbe and... Hikari? Not sure what they do however.

My ego has nothing to do with it. Could accept AT status and even Sheik's return. Impa remains the most likely character with Toon Zelda not being a possibilty anymore though. So that's a victory on it's own. ;) Am not scared for consuquences being wrong, being right just has that much more vallue. :)
I've never seen the Diddy/Dixie duo as terribly likely, myself. It was planned for Brawl, sure, but now that Diddy's in on his own, it would just annoy his fans to complicate the character.

Donbe and Hikari would be interesting, but I just don't see it...I just feel like we're missing someone obvious.

Maybe make it easier to transform between Samus' suits? I could see that working, but I don't think that Sakurai would change a character that's been around since 64 that much.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the Phantom is Zelda's new special move... not an Assist Trophy... why would Sakurai show an Assist Trophy and say nothing about it? He showed off Skull Kid, Nintendog, and Starfy and said something about them... why is the Phantom an exception?

Spire

III
BRoomer
1. Split Zelda and Sheik
2. Reform Sheik into Impa
3. Add Dixie Kong to Diddy as a Zelda/Sheik 1-slot combo
4. Lend Zelda/Sheik's Transformation mechanic to Diddy & Dixie Kong

Diddy and Dixie are better Nintendo representatives of a tag-team combo than Zelda and Sheik, for they've been doing it since 1995 with Donkey Kong Country 2, three years before Sheik's introduction in Ocarina of Time and six years before the Zelda/Sheik introduction to Smash Bros. in Melee. Diddy's Brawl moveset is flexible enough to add "Switch" as a Down Special. The inactive Kong would drop a down-dodge distance into the background, following the controlled Kong everywhere on stage like a better Nana. Down B would switch between the two.

When the two lose a stock, the controlled Kong respawns alone. Pressing Down B pulls a DK barrel out of thin air, ready to throw. The breaking of the barrel on a surface/opponent would release the opposite Kong, who in DKC fashion would roll through the air to rejoin. Throwing the barrel off stage would require a short cooldown time before allowing the summoning of another barrel to prevent barrel spamming.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think Sakurai might be taking duo characters to a whole new direction this time. Makes it hard to think of anyone particilary. It could be just those characters being added for that purpose. Lot like Sheik and Ice Climbers in Melee. We'll be up for surprises, am sure!

Samus, I doubt it. Zero Laser has been confirmed already.

Spire, I love those ideas! Am really picturing it now already... It would be a great homage to Diddy's own game, DKC2. And the whole thing would be crazy co-incidence and ironic! :laugh: Perfect for a Tropical Freeze related update!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
1. Split Zelda and Sheik
2. Reform Sheik into Impa
3. Add Dixie Kong to Diddy as a Zelda/Sheik 1-slot combo
4. Lend Zelda/Sheik's Transformation mechanic to Diddy & Dixie Kong

Diddy and Dixie are better Nintendo representatives of a tag-team combo than Zelda and Sheik, for they've been doing it since 1995 with Donkey Kong Country 2, three years before Sheik's introduction in Ocarina of Time and six years before the Zelda/Sheik introduction to Smash Bros. in Melee. Diddy's Brawl moveset is flexible enough to add "Switch" as a Down Special. The inactive Kong would drop a down-dodge distance into the background, following the controlled Kong everywhere on stage like a better Nana. Down B would switch between the two.

When the two lose a stock, the controlled Kong respawns alone. Pressing Down B pulls a DK barrel out of thin air, ready to throw. The breaking of the barrel on a surface/opponent would release the opposite Kong, who in DKC fashion would roll through the air to rejoin. Throwing the barrel off stage would require a short cooldown time before allowing the summoning of another barrel to prevent barrel spamming.
It could work, I guess.

I'm just thinking about something a bit more like the current Zelda/Sheik transformation gimmick. If that's gone, and they want to bring it back with a different character, then Diddy/Dixie wouldn't work.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sakurai can win by doing the above Diddy & Dixie, Zelda/Sheik & Impa steps and following the Project M "Black Shadow / Ganondorf" clone idea wherein Ganondorf is granted an original moveset reflecting his presence in the Legend of Zelda series while his old "heavy Captain Falcon" moveset can be lent to Black Shadow. If Sakurai did all of this, we'd have:
  • Diddy & Dixie Kong
  • Impa
  • NEW Ganondorf
  • Black Shadow
With two LoZ characters lending their movesets to newcomers, we'd have a better representation of Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, and F-Zero. Three DK characters, two of which tag-team (a la Zelda/Sheik), five distinct Legend of Zelda characters, and two F-Zero rivals, with Black Shadow inheriting the most appropriate moveset ever from a most inappropriate user these past 12 years. Since between Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie only two roster slots are filled, there's still ample room for King K. Rool as well. F-Zero fans would be satiated with a new rep after all these years, and The Legend of Zelda would look the most representationally balanced, including the four most recurring and important characters in the franchise + an alternate version of Link.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai can win by doing the above Diddy & Dixie, Zelda/Sheik & Impa steps and following the Project M "Black Shadow / Ganondorf" clone idea wherein Ganondorf is granted an original moveset reflecting his presence in the Legend of Zelda series while his old "heavy Captain Falcon" moveset can be lent to Black Shadow. If Sakurai did all of this, we'd have:
  • Diddy & Dixie Kong
  • Impa
  • NEW Ganondorf
  • Black Shadow
With two LoZ characters lending their movesets to newcomers, we'd have a better representation of Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, and F-Zero. Three DK characters, two of which tag-team (a la Zelda/Sheik), five distinct Legend of Zelda characters, and two F-Zero rivals, with Black Shadow inheriting the most appropriate moveset ever from a most inappropriate user these past 12 years.
It makes sense, it's just that the Diddy/Dixie tag team is more like Ice Climbers on steroids.

Top Bottom